Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

JMV having traces of doubt in his opinion on this situation

HOF19

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Any fanbase would have booed in that situation.  Don’t let people tell you otherwise.  

With that said I don’t agree with it and it’s not how I feel about Andrew and would like to think I wouldn’t have booed but I also think that most of those that did boo did so because of the situation and how it was playing out and probably don’t hold anything against Andrew long term.  

Sorry but for some reason I always thought our fan base was a little bit better than the rest in the NFL.  After everything Andrew has went through, and everything he has done for the community, to be booed off the field just seems a bit petty, and totally selfish.

7 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

Sorry but for some reason I always thought our fan base was a little bit better than the rest in the NFL.  After everything Andrew has went through, and everything he has done for the community, to be booed off the field just seems a bit petty, and totally selfish.

We aren’t.  Personally I think most fanbases look at themselves with a romantic sense about themselves and think they are better than other fanbases when in reality they aren’t.

Next let’s not pretend like this was the majority of Colts fans or even a full stadium of fans (that place was pretty close to empty by the time the news was breaking).  As Kevin Bowan put it this week the only people left there were the ones that booed Luck and it wasn’t that many and not nearly as many as some would have you believe.  

Lastly, it’s the situation.  This is the same fanbase that has given other former Colts standing ovations when they returned including Chuck Pagano earlier that night.  Fans were in shock and confused so they booed because they didn’t know what else to do.  Again, a few days removed from it if Luck walked out there tonight for example I think you would get a very different reaction from most.  It was the heat of the moment and a lot of people, not just related to sports, do things in the heat of the moment they don’t really mean and regret later.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

Long time fan, other than Vanderjagt I can't remember any other Colt being booed off the field like that, he deserved it, Andrew didn't.  Black eye for our fan base that sticks for a long time.

No other player had a situation even close to Luck’s.  They were booing because of the situation, anyone looking beyond an easy sensational story can see that.  Those that are looking for an easy sensational story don’t deserve attention so I don’t give it to them.

18 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

IR would of probably went over much better with the fanbase. That would of told the story that Luck tried to play the season and wasn't medically cleared instead of retiring before the season.

Well here's the thing...the only way it's a true comparison is if the news of Luck going to IR got announced in the same fashion as his retirement announcement.  So we'd have to imagine that the news of Luck going to IR was prematurely leaked during the preseason game.  I honestly believe there would have still been a backlash.

"He went on IR now instead of after the season starts so he's not eligible to come back this season even if he's cleared.  he didn't even try to return"

"Would have been nice to know Luck wouldn't be playing this year before buying season tickets/sunday ticket/etc.  They knew all along he was going to IR but still wanted to get the ticket sales.  This front office LIES!"

Now I'll fully admit, the backlash for that would have been less severe, but I do believe it still would have happened.

Either way, he doesn't get playing time, but in the fans eyes, he tried to come back and couldn't before being forced to retire due to injuries rather than retiring before the season started.

The thing is, that's still exactly what happened.  We first heard about the calf injury in April.  He was training and rehabbing...teammates, coaches, Ballard and even guys not associated with the team anymore like Dungy all confirmed how hard he'd been working to get back.

However, once he was cleared to start practicing, he started having a different pain.  Not sure what that turned out to be but eventually it turned into a calf strain, a high ankle sprain and something else (plantar fasciatus maybe?). 

I guarantee he wouldn't of been booed in that scenario. All about perception my friend! :thmup:

I totally get that, and what's funny is I've been preaching perception since this all first started.  The people who are upset are only looking at things from their own perspective and not Luck's.  The people complaining about those who were upset are looking at it mostly from Luck's perspective and not from the perspective of the people who paid for tickets/sunday ticket.  If everyone could take a step back, breathe deeply for a few minutes and try to see things from another perspective things would have gone much differently imo.  

And just for the record, I understand being upset.  My biggest complaint is with the people who took it to the extreme and started calling Luck a loser and painting him out to be a bad person simply because he chose to stop playing the game of football.  I can kinda get the boos...still don't agree with it...but going to the extreme of vilifying Luck is just absurd.

:)

I guarantee he wouldn't of been booed in that scenario. All about perception my friend! :thmup:

• Like 1