Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
HOF19

JMV having traces of doubt in his opinion on this situation

Recommended Posts

To paraphrase him " Andrew will pay a price for this ". and even said the door is open that down the line " The locker room someday "may have some negativity about this ". And without a doubt seemed not very happy about the timing . From what I have read on this message board and the fact that I do not live in Indy I just kind of had the opinion that JMV was usually 95 % of the time always supported the Colts no matter what and toed the line of whatever line the Colts put out there.....This sounded just a bit rebellious (to me anyway ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The players seem excited to move on but they also seemed 100% behind lucks decision.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

To paraphrase him " Andrew will pay a price for this ". and even said the door is open that down the line " The locker room someday "may have some negativity about this ". And without a doubt seemed not very happy about the timing . From what I have read on this message board and the fact that I do not live in Indy I just kind of had the opinion that JMV was usually 95 % of the time always supported the Colts no matter what and toed the line of whatever line the Colts put out there.....This sounded just a bit rebellious (to me anyway ).

I think he's right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JMV broke the news about Manning's neck injury a few years ago.  He's usually pretty reliable.

 

JMV mentioned yesterday (on-air) that he was told by a source that Luck asked Ballard and co. if he could step away from the team and rehab in Hawaii for 3 months.

 

Ballard refused.  And I respect Ballard for refusing.  That would've been unfair to Jacoby, the team, etc.  Flies in the face of his philosophy about the team being about more than just one man.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

JMV broke the news about Manning's neck injury a few years ago.  He's usually pretty reliable.

 

JMV mentioned yesterday (on-air) that he was told by a source that Luck asked Ballard and co. if he could step away from the team and rehab in Hawaii for 3 months.

 

Ballard refused.  And I respect Ballard for refusing.  That would've been unfair to Jacoby, the team, etc.  Flies in the face of his philosophy about the team being about more than just one man.

Wow

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

JMV broke the news about Manning's neck injury a few years ago.  He's usually pretty reliable.

 

JMV mentioned yesterday (on-air) that he was told by a source that Luck asked Ballard and co. if he could step away from the team and rehab in Hawaii for 3 months.

 

Ballard refused.  And I respect Ballard for refusing.  That would've been unfair to Jacoby, the team, etc.  Flies in the face of his philosophy about the team being about more than just one man.

 

Do the rehab now or that he asked earlier this offseason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

JMV broke the news about Manning's neck injury a few years ago.  He's usually pretty reliable.

 

JMV mentioned yesterday (on-air) that he was told by a source that Luck asked Ballard and co. if he could step away from the team and rehab in Hawaii for 3 months.

 

Ballard refused.  And I respect Ballard for refusing.  That would've been unfair to Jacoby, the team, etc.  Flies in the face of his philosophy about the team being about more than just one man.

I heard that but I thought he was joking.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s interesting to listen to Rick Venturi saying he thinks Luck had a mental break down.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

JMV mentioned yesterday (on-air) that he was told by a source that Luck asked Ballard and co. if he could step away from the team and rehab in Hawaii for 3 months.

 

I'm pretty skeptical about any "I'm not really retiring, I just need more time off" theory.  So let me put that out there first.

 

But, that said, if there is truth to this or something like it, can somebody explain to me how the Colts' rights to Andrew would play out?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s interesting to listen to Rick Venturi saying he thinks Luck had a mental break down.

So sad but I think this is the most accurate theory out there.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Venturi is spot on about wanting to know what that obviously very public workout session was all about. Who sanctioned it...what was the intention? 

 

Luck even said he felt like that would be his last time on the LOS field...so he knew.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s interesting to listen to Rick Venturi saying he thinks Luck had a mental break down.

 

If he did it probably wasn't his first.

If he really wanted 3 months off to go to Hawaii is ridiculous. 

I heard a bit of Dakich and he said he said luck wasn't the man for the job. I agree.

Too injury prone, too slow to heal and lacked a love for the game.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s interesting to listen to Rick Venturi saying he thinks Luck had a mental break down.

 

I'm not a mental health professional (and I'd guess that Rick Venturi isn't either), but I'm pretty certain that there's not such a thing in the DSM-5 as a "mental breakdown."

 

None of us are privy to another man's thoughts, so we can only know what they tell us and gauge how much stock we put in what they tell us.  I think he's always been pretty forthcoming (the team, not so much) about where he was.  So I take his offered reasoning at face value...whereas I might not do that for some others.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

 

I'm pretty skeptical about any "I'm not really retiring, I just need more time off" theory.  So let me put that out there first.

 

But, that said, if there is truth to this or something like it, can somebody explain to me how the Colts' rights to Andrew would play out?  

They hold his rights for the next 3 years should he want to come back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Venturi is spot on about wanting to know what that obviously very public workout session was all about. Who sanctioned it...what was the intention? 

 

Luck even said he felt like that would be his last time on the LOS field...so he knew.

Exactly what I’ve been saying for nearly 3 days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

JMV broke the news about Manning's neck injury a few years ago.  He's usually pretty reliable.

 

JMV mentioned yesterday (on-air) that he was told by a source that Luck asked Ballard and co. if he could step away from the team and rehab in Hawaii for 3 months.

 

Ballard refused.  And I respect Ballard for refusing.  That would've been unfair to Jacoby, the team, etc.  Flies in the face of his philosophy about the team being about more than just one man.


JMV actually said he'd heard that from a source? Because I saw that on an Instagram comment as well, except it was about wanting to spend time with his kid (even though the kid isn't due until the new year).

I thought it sounded pretty fake, really.
 

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Exactly what I’ve been saying for nearly 3 days

 

Yeah...Venturi and JMV are keeping it pretty real...compared to what I expected. I agree regarding most of it. Whatever benefit of the doubt was given back in 2017...is probably gone for most...regardless of who was driving this whole thing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:


JMV actually said he'd heard that from a source? Because I saw that on an Instagram comment posted to reddit as well, except it was about wanting to spend time with his kid (even though the kid isn't due until the new year).

I thought it sounded pretty fake, really.
 

 

I hate to say it but that all seams very plausible. If true good for Irsay for sticking to his guns.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Venturi is spot on about wanting to know what that obviously very public workout session was all about. Who sanctioned it...what was the intention? 

 

Luck even said he felt like that would be his last time on the LOS field...so he knew.

Yup ….I mean the way Luck looked in that work out they had the know the fan base would get an opinion leaning more in the direction that he was gonna be ok from what we saw from that work out ….And like Venturi said that was shown on National TV !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I hate to say it but that all seams very plausible. If true good for Irsay for sticking to his guns.


I personally have a hard time believing it, and that's coming from one of the few people who actually thought there was truth to the snowboarding rumors from the very beginning.

But hey, you never know.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

The players seem excited to move on but they also seemed 100% behind lucks decision.

 

To be fair, the players have to support the decision. That could disrupt the locker room culture to have players fighting over a QB change. My guess is we'll know more how the players really feel 20+ years from now when everyone is retired and older.

 

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

They hold his rights for the next 3 years should he want to come back. 

 

Is it only for three years? I thought Luck's contract gets "frozen," so even if he returns in 10 years, he just picks up right where he left off.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Korey said:

So sad but I think this is the most accurate theory out there.

I mean we aren’t in lucks head but he didn’t look in pain or have issues. He rode a bike to the Indy 500. Was walking around town fine with his wife on Friday. It does make sense. 

 

Something else someone brought up was would he have to play on pain killers and maybe was afraid of getting addicted or maybe had issues with pain killer addiction. What QB was it that almost died from a foot surgery because of addiction.

1 minute ago, ReMeDy said:

 

To be fair, the players have to support the decision. That could disrupt the locker room culture to have players fighting over a QB change. My guess is we'll know more how the players really feel 20+ years from now when everyone is retired and older.

 

 

Is it only for three years? I thought Luck's contract gets "frozen," so even if he returns in 10 years, he just picks up right where he left off.

This is correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rick Venturi just brought up a subject there in Indianapolis that I am hearing NY Media (maybe once a day ) wonder about …….If he is benched is Eli available ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Yup ….I mean the way Luck looked in that work out they had the know the fan base would get an opinion leaning more in the direction that he was gonna be ok from what we saw from that work out ….And like Venturi said that was shown on National TV !

 

That workout changed the narrative on his ability for Week 1 big-time. And I imagine people involved knew it would.

 

And then you have all of the injury stuff that Irsay, Reiach and Ballard had to talk about the past weeks. Ballard even did a media conference call specifically to answer questions about it.

 

But how much was real...how much was dictated by Luck...how much by the regime...just so many questions. If the Hawaii rumors are true (not saying they are)...were they just trying to cover for Luck? 

 

Just hard to know what really went on. 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HOF19 said:

Rick Venturi just brought up a subject there in Indianapolis that I am hearing NY Media (maybe once a day ) wonder about …….If he is benched is Eli available ?

He would be JB backup. If that is the case I would be ok with it. Also gives you a veteran  if he goes down or things start off bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

That workout changed the narrative on his ability for Week 1 big-time. And I imagine people involved knew it would.

 

And then you have all of the injury stuff that Irsay, Reiach and Ballard had to talk about the past weeks. Ballard even did a media conference call specifically to answer questions about it.

 

But how much was real...how much was dictated by Luck...how much by the regime...just so many questions. If the Hawaii rumors are true (not saying they are)...were they just trying to cover for Luck? 

 

Just hard to know what really went on. 

 

 

 

It seems the retirement talk started before that workout so it does seem suspicious.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite having a myriad of lower leg injuries keeping him from practicing for 4 months, he was never placed in a walking boot to stabilize a rehab.  I too think the injury was fake, and the Colts never challenged that excuse in order to give Luck a chance to sort things out.

 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It seems the retirement talk started before that workout so it does seem suspicious.

 

Yep...Luck in his presser...said he felt like that was his last time throwing on LOS turf. 

 

Quote

I had a thought that this might be my last time throwing on Lucas Oil as a current member of a Colts team. I told myself to make sure to go out and enjoy it, you know.

 

Either they knew and still had him go out there...or Luck knew and misled them about the workout...because it doesn't sound like that workout was any sort of measuring stick and that his mind was pretty much made up at that point. I would have to look...but I am pretty sure the Colts Twitter account tweeted out video of that as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HOF19 said:

From what I have read on this message board and the fact that I do not live in Indy I just kind of had the opinion that JMV was usually 95 % of the time always supported the Colts no matter what and toed the line of whatever line the Colts put out there.....This sounded just a bit rebellious (to me anyway ).

 

Not really. JMV will speak his mind, he's not a shill for the Colts.

 

Last week, he said he'd heard a rumor that Luck wanted to retire and go play in the XFL. He's floated seemingly hairbrained rumors before, not just about Luck. Some of them happened to be true, others not so much.

 

I'm not defending JMV, just pointing out that he doesn't just toe the company line.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read an article a couple weeks ago that quoted Luck as saying that being injured helped his marriage.  Could have something to do with his retirement as well?   Regardless of what anyone thinks, this was Luck's decision and I always felt that he would go with his happiness over anything else.  He had too many options to fall back on and I guess he is choosing one of them?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Despite having a myriad of lower leg injuries keeping him from practicing for 4 months, he was never placed in a walking boot to stabilize a rehab.  I too think the injury was fake, and the Colts never challenged that excuse in order to give Luck a chance to sort things out.

 

 

I think that’s been the thing all along. I think Luck was told he had until week 3 of the preseason to decide on this, and had been pondering it all along.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Coltsfan66 said:

I read an article a couple weeks ago that quoted Luck as saying that being injured helped his marriage.  Could have something to do with his retirement as well?   Regardless of what anyone thinks, this was Luck's decision and I always felt that he would go with his happiness over anything else.  He had too many options to fall back on and I guess he is choosing one of them?

Was he married at some point during his shoulder recovery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang what is this with this idea ? ………….Tony Kornhieser on Pardon the Interruption just said "Will we see a phone call from the Colts to the Giants on Eli Manning ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Was he married at some point during his shoulder recovery?

No he got married earlier this year. But he has been with her for a decade so not sure how that did anything.

Luck has mentioned how rehab makes him angrry. I can also see this effecting his personal relationships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I like how people just make stuff up, and then start peddling it as anything more than the product of their imagination.

To be fair, a lot of this could be avoided if the parties involved had been upfront and forthcoming about things.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Rick Venturi just brought up a subject there in Indianapolis that I am hearing NY Media (maybe once a day ) wonder about …….If he is benched is Eli available ?

 

3 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Dang what is this with this idea ? ………….Tony Kornhieser on Pardon the Interruption just said "Will we see a phone call from the Colts to the Giants on Eli Manning ?

 

In what universe does this make sense?

 

Eli is at the end of the road, and he is limping to his own finish in an ugly way. He should play what? MAYBE one more year beyond this one? He honestly doesn’t improve this team’s chances any over Brissett, and Brissett has the advantage of knowing the system.

 

There is 0 spin to put on an Eli trade making sense. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

 

I'm pretty skeptical about any "I'm not really retiring, I just need more time off" theory.  So let me put that out there first.

 

But, that said, if there is truth to this or something like it, can somebody explain to me how the Colts' rights to Andrew would play out?  

 

To clarify, the rumor was that Luck asked for the time off prior to turning to retirement as the solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Baltimore 10-2 at Buffalo 9-3 Venue : New Era Field Orchard Park, NY Weather : 42 degrees , winds 15-20 MPH  Last Meeting 2018 : Baltimore 47 Buffalo 3 Baltimore leads all time series 5-3  Point spread : Baltimore -6 
    • I heard they are weighing option for season ending laser eye surgery to improve his downfield vision.
    • The Giants gave not given up on Daniel Jones.   He’s hurt.   A high ankle sprain, all in all, I think the Giants have been very pleased with Jones.    How does this happen here?
    • I don’t see enough QB to go around this year. Colts will be lucky if love even lasts with the way some of these QB have looked. I bet Fromm stays in school. Heck Love might even transafer.    If I was the bengals I would trade that number pick for more picks and try and get my QB next year. Burrow is going to be great but they need a ton of other positions..   Crazy stat I heard if Burrow wins the Heisman and Lamar wins MVP the Heisman winner will be older then the NFL MVP.
    • JB plays an efficient and mistake-free game and the Colts defense wins the turnover battle. McLaughlin goes 4-4 on FGs.   Colts      33 Bucs      16    
  • Members

    • Lucky Colts Fan

      Lucky Colts Fan 5,422

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mr.Debonair

      Mr.Debonair 2,202

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DarkHorseColts

      DarkHorseColts 124

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Crush22

      Crush22 258

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Two_pound

      Two_pound 177

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • J@son

      J@son 7,312

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CR91

      CR91 9,129

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltsfeva

      coltsfeva 1,344

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • runthepost

      runthepost 804

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • B~Town

      B~Town 612

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...