Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

JMV having traces of doubt in his opinion on this situation

HOF19

To paraphrase him " Andrew will pay a price for this ". and even said the door is open that down the line " The locker room someday "may have some negativity about this ". And without a doubt seemed not very happy about the timing . From what I have read on this message board and the fact that I do not live in Indy I just kind of had the opinion that JMV was usually 95 % of the time always supported the Colts no matter what and toed the line of whatever line the Colts put out there.....This sounded just a bit rebellious (to me anyway ).

5 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

To paraphrase him " Andrew will pay a price for this ". and even said the door is open that down the line " The locker room someday "may have some negativity about this ". And without a doubt seemed not very happy about the timing . From what I have read on this message board and the fact that I do not live in Indy I just kind of had the opinion that JMV was usually 95 % of the time always supported the Colts no matter what and toed the line of whatever line the Colts put out there.....This sounded just a bit rebellious (to me anyway ).

I think he's right.

JMV broke the news about Manning's neck injury a few years ago.  He's usually pretty reliable.

JMV mentioned yesterday (on-air) that he was told by a source that Luck asked Ballard and co. if he could step away from the team and rehab in Hawaii for 3 months.

Ballard refused.  And I respect Ballard for refusing.  That would've been unfair to Jacoby, the team, etc.  Flies in the face of his philosophy about the team being about more than just one man.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

JMV broke the news about Manning's neck injury a few years ago.  He's usually pretty reliable.

JMV mentioned yesterday (on-air) that he was told by a source that Luck asked Ballard and co. if he could step away from the team and rehab in Hawaii for 3 months.

Ballard refused.  And I respect Ballard for refusing.  That would've been unfair to Jacoby, the team, etc.  Flies in the face of his philosophy about the team being about more than just one man.

Wow

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Do the rehab now or that he asked earlier this offseason?

6 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I heard that but I thought he was joking.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I'm pretty skeptical about any "I'm not really retiring, I just need more time off" theory.  So let me put that out there first.

But, that said, if there is truth to this or something like it, can somebody explain to me how the Colts' rights to Andrew would play out?  

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s interesting to listen to Rick Venturi saying he thinks Luck had a mental break down.

If he did it probably wasn't his first.

If he really wanted 3 months off to go to Hawaii is ridiculous. 

I heard a bit of Dakich and he said he said luck wasn't the man for the job. I agree.

Too injury prone, too slow to heal and lacked a love for the game.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s interesting to listen to Rick Venturi saying he thinks Luck had a mental break down.

I'm not a mental health professional (and I'd guess that Rick Venturi isn't either), but I'm pretty certain that there's not such a thing in the DSM-5 as a "mental breakdown."

None of us are privy to another man's thoughts, so we can only know what they tell us and gauge how much stock we put in what they tell us.  I think he's always been pretty forthcoming (the team, not so much) about where he was.  So I take his offered reasoning at face value...whereas I might not do that for some others.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I'm pretty skeptical about any "I'm not really retiring, I just need more time off" theory.  So let me put that out there first.

But, that said, if there is truth to this or something like it, can somebody explain to me how the Colts' rights to Andrew would play out?  

They hold his rights for the next 3 years should he want to come back. 

8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Venturi is spot on about wanting to know what that obviously very public workout session was all about. Who sanctioned it...what was the intention? 

Luck even said he felt like that would be his last time on the LOS field...so he knew.

Exactly what I’ve been saying for nearly 3 days

37 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

JMV actually said he'd heard that from a source? Because I saw that on an Instagram comment as well, except it was about wanting to spend time with his kid (even though the kid isn't due until the new year).

I thought it sounded pretty fake, really.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Exactly what I’ve been saying for nearly 3 days

Yeah...Venturi and JMV are keeping it pretty real...compared to what I expected. I agree regarding most of it. Whatever benefit of the doubt was given back in 2017...is probably gone for most...regardless of who was driving this whole thing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

JMV actually said he'd heard that from a source? Because I saw that on an Instagram comment posted to reddit as well, except it was about wanting to spend time with his kid (even though the kid isn't due until the new year).

I thought it sounded pretty fake, really.

I hate to say it but that all seams very plausible. If true good for Irsay for sticking to his guns.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Venturi is spot on about wanting to know what that obviously very public workout session was all about. Who sanctioned it...what was the intention? 

Luck even said he felt like that would be his last time on the LOS field...so he knew.

Yup ….I mean the way Luck looked in that work out they had the know the fan base would get an opinion leaning more in the direction that he was gonna be ok from what we saw from that work out ….And like Venturi said that was shown on National TV !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I hate to say it but that all seams very plausible. If true good for Irsay for sticking to his guns.

I personally have a hard time believing it, and that's coming from one of the few people who actually thought there was truth to the snowboarding rumors from the very beginning.

But hey, you never know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

The players seem excited to move on but they also seemed 100% behind lucks decision.

To be fair, the players have to support the decision. That could disrupt the locker room culture to have players fighting over a QB change. My guess is we'll know more how the players really feel 20+ years from now when everyone is retired and older.

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

They hold his rights for the next 3 years should he want to come back. 

Is it only for three years? I thought Luck's contract gets "frozen," so even if he returns in 10 years, he just picks up right where he left off.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Korey said:

So sad but I think this is the most accurate theory out there.

I mean we aren’t in lucks head but he didn’t look in pain or have issues. He rode a bike to the Indy 500. Was walking around town fine with his wife on Friday. It does make sense. 

Something else someone brought up was would he have to play on pain killers and maybe was afraid of getting addicted or maybe had issues with pain killer addiction. What QB was it that almost died from a foot surgery because of addiction.

1 minute ago, ReMeDy said:

To be fair, the players have to support the decision. That could disrupt the locker room culture to have players fighting over a QB change. My guess is we'll know more how the players really feel 20+ years from now when everyone is retired and older.

Is it only for three years? I thought Luck's contract gets "frozen," so even if he returns in 10 years, he just picks up right where he left off.

This is correct.

3 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Yup ….I mean the way Luck looked in that work out they had the know the fan base would get an opinion leaning more in the direction that he was gonna be ok from what we saw from that work out ….And like Venturi said that was shown on National TV !

That workout changed the narrative on his ability for Week 1 big-time. And I imagine people involved knew it would.

And then you have all of the injury stuff that Irsay, Reiach and Ballard had to talk about the past weeks. Ballard even did a media conference call specifically to answer questions about it.

But how much was real...how much was dictated by Luck...how much by the regime...just so many questions. If the Hawaii rumors are true (not saying they are)...were they just trying to cover for Luck? 

Just hard to know what really went on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

That workout changed the narrative on his ability for Week 1 big-time. And I imagine people involved knew it would.

And then you have all of the injury stuff that Irsay, Reiach and Ballard had to talk about the past weeks. Ballard even did a media conference call specifically to answer questions about it.

But how much was real...how much was dictated by Luck...how much by the regime...just so many questions. If the Hawaii rumors are true (not saying they are)...were they just trying to cover for Luck? 

Just hard to know what really went on. 

It seems the retirement talk started before that workout so it does seem suspicious.

• Like 3

Despite having a myriad of lower leg injuries keeping him from practicing for 4 months, he was never placed in a walking boot to stabilize a rehab.  I too think the injury was fake, and the Colts never challenged that excuse in order to give Luck a chance to sort things out.

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It seems the retirement talk started before that workout so it does seem suspicious.

Yep...Luck in his presser...said he felt like that was his last time throwing on LOS turf. 

I had a thought that this might be my last time throwing on Lucas Oil as a current member of a Colts team. I told myself to make sure to go out and enjoy it, you know.

Either they knew and still had him go out there...or Luck knew and misled them about the workout...because it doesn't sound like that workout was any sort of measuring stick and that his mind was pretty much made up at that point. I would have to look...but I am pretty sure the Colts Twitter account tweeted out video of that as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HOF19 said:

From what I have read on this message board and the fact that I do not live in Indy I just kind of had the opinion that JMV was usually 95 % of the time always supported the Colts no matter what and toed the line of whatever line the Colts put out there.....This sounded just a bit rebellious (to me anyway ).

Not really. JMV will speak his mind, he's not a shill for the Colts.

Last week, he said he'd heard a rumor that Luck wanted to retire and go play in the XFL. He's floated seemingly hairbrained rumors before, not just about Luck. Some of them happened to be true, others not so much.

I'm not defending JMV, just pointing out that he doesn't just toe the company line.

• Like 2

I read an article a couple weeks ago that quoted Luck as saying that being injured helped his marriage.  Could have something to do with his retirement as well?   Regardless of what anyone thinks, this was Luck's decision and I always felt that he would go with his happiness over anything else.  He had too many options to fall back on and I guess he is choosing one of them?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Despite having a myriad of lower leg injuries keeping him from practicing for 4 months, he was never placed in a walking boot to stabilize a rehab.  I too think the injury was fake, and the Colts never challenged that excuse in order to give Luck a chance to sort things out.

I think that’s been the thing all along. I think Luck was told he had until week 3 of the preseason to decide on this, and had been pondering it all along.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Coltsfan66 said:

I read an article a couple weeks ago that quoted Luck as saying that being injured helped his marriage.  Could have something to do with his retirement as well?   Regardless of what anyone thinks, this was Luck's decision and I always felt that he would go with his happiness over anything else.  He had too many options to fall back on and I guess he is choosing one of them?

Was he married at some point during his shoulder recovery?

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I like how people just make stuff up, and then start peddling it as anything more than the product of their imagination.

To be fair, a lot of this could be avoided if the parties involved had been upfront and forthcoming about things.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Rick Venturi just brought up a subject there in Indianapolis that I am hearing NY Media (maybe once a day ) wonder about …….If he is benched is Eli available ?

3 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Dang what is this with this idea ? ………….Tony Kornhieser on Pardon the Interruption just said "Will we see a phone call from the Colts to the Giants on Eli Manning ?

In what universe does this make sense?

Eli is at the end of the road, and he is limping to his own finish in an ugly way. He should play what? MAYBE one more year beyond this one? He honestly doesn’t improve this team’s chances any over Brissett, and Brissett has the advantage of knowing the system.

There is 0 spin to put on an Eli trade making sense. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

To clarify, the rumor was that Luck asked for the time off prior to turning to retirement as the solution.