Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First 2 games - should we sign a vet?

chad72

7 hours ago, CoachLite said:

IMO, the first two games have JB as starter, PW as backup. Cross your fingers. When Kelly returns, decide who between PW and CK (probably CK). Signing a veteran QB at this point seems a desperation move, and a really bad idea.

Everyone is so worried about the optics...

A few days ago, our starting QB retired. That changes things. They might have been okay with having Walker on the active roster in Weeks 1 and 2 if Luck and Brissett were ahead of him. I doubt they want Walker as the primary backup at any point this season, and I think that way because I don't think Walker is good enough to play.

Assuming the team agrees with me, they should add another QB to back up Brissett. I'm 89% sure they will, at some point in the next week. Because you can't have Philip Walker as QB2 in the regular season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

A few days ago, our starting QB retired. That changes things. They might have been okay with having Walker on the active roster in Weeks 1 and 2 if Luck and Brissett were ahead of him. I doubt they want Walker as the primary backup at any point this season, and I think that way because I don't think Walker is good enough to play.

Assuming the team agrees with me, they should add another QB to back up Brissett. I'm 89% sure they will, at some point in the next week. Because you can't have Philip Walker as QB2 in the regular season.

That really scares me

Really is a dilema.

The interest in Nate Sudfeld is obvious, but he does nothing for us during first 2 weeks of ths year. Which is where the need is at right now.

Kelly, IMO has locked up the backup spot. He has looked the part. Reich's relationship with Uncle Jim helps with the character concerns, as well as him keeping his nose clean.

I think Kelly has really nice potential.

So that leads to what we do:

Let Walker be the back up for 2 weeks.

Sign/trade for a QB 

Personally, I would just let Walker roll as the backup for the first 2 weeks. I don't think anyone we bring in at this point will be able to have much affect on the game 1 or 2.

If Brissett gets hurt, our chances are low. Might as well let Walker give it some run. At least he knows the play book.

Bringing in a young guy, risk taking chances away from Kelly, so I don't like that idea. A vet would probably be the same.

If Brissett goes down, we need to see what Kelly can do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Philip Walker's mom thanks you for that vote of confidence in her son.

I refer you to one Scott Tolzien who was no better or worse than Walker. It's only 2 weeks as backup after all. And, BTW, whose tag line reads "Don't Reach for Need?"

• Like 1

So they are going to sign a veteran for two weeks who does not know the playbook and will only have a limited number of plays to run versus Walker who knows the entire playbook. Who gives us the best chance of pulling out a win as our QB2 for the 1st two weeks?   I am 100% certain I would take Walker.  Now if they have no intention of making Kelly QB2 week 3 then that's a different conversation.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Superman said:

+scouting) staff to have draft like .ikst already... waiting to see who is cut or plaed on a prac9

Agreed, neither Kelly nor Walker are really ready to carry the #2 keys at this time. I expect Ballard and and the Pro (and scouting) personnel team to have a list already made and take the top name available from the cuts, or practice squad placed guys.  Or trade for one (Sudfeld?)

Has to be done, IMO.

On 8/26/2019 at 2:23 PM, Barry Sears said:

I believe Ballard is keeping his eyes and ears open, but I feel like we'll have Walker as the #2 until Kelly returns.  Kelly has played well, but has also played against the 2nd and 3rd stringers of other teams.  He's had a much better pre-season than Walker.

Walker is terrible.

2 hours ago, CoachLite said:

I refer you to one Scott Tolzien who was no better or worse than Walker. It's only 2 weeks as backup after all. And, BTW, whose tag line reads "Don't Reach for Need?"

If walker has to enter any game we are 100% screwed anyway's.

12 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Agreed, neither Kelly nor Walker are really ready to carry the #2 keys at this time. I expect Ballard and and the Pro (and scouting) personnel team to have a list already made and take the top name available from the cuts, or practice squad placed guys.  Or trade for one (Sudfeld?)

Has to be done, IMO.

Sudfeld is a natural connection, but he's hurt for a few weeks so he can't help us in Weeks 1 and 2. But like you said, they'll find someone. It's time for Ballard to dust off his binder and get to work.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CoachLite said:

I hope Chris Ballard and Frank Reich aren't thinking about Walker's mom and her feelings while they put the roster together.

Scott Tolzien works in my favor. He was terrible, and only made it one week because he was terrible. I don't care who holds the clipboard, I'm concerned about what happens if Brissett gets hurt. If Walker has to play, the offense dies, bottom line. (And I hope I'm wrong; I hope Walker is a superstar in the making. But he's likely not. And more importantly, I hope Brissett never misses a snap. But he might.)

And my tag line refers to the draft. I'm talking about adding a veteran QB before Week 1 of the season. Player acquisition at this time of the year is almost entirely about need. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

I hope Chris Ballard and Frank Reich aren't thinking about Walker's mom and her feelings while they put the roster together.

Scott Tolzien works in my favor. He was terrible, and only made it one week because he was terrible. I don't care who holds the clipboard, I'm concerned about what happens if Brissett gets hurt. If Walker has to play, the offense dies, bottom line. (And I hope I'm wrong; I hope Walker is a superstar in the making. But he's likely not. And more importantly, I hope Brissett never misses a snap. But he might.)

And my tag line refers to the draft. I'm talking about adding a veteran QB before Week 1 of the season. Player acquisition at this time of the year is almost entirely about need. 

My only ask for Ballard is to not give up any major assets for whatever backup he decides to get. There is a significant likelihood we will need every possible top 3-4 rounds pick we have either next year or the year after to get in position to draft the QB Ballard decides is to be our QB of the future. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

Sudfeld is a natural connection, but he's hurt for a few weeks so he can't help us in Weeks 1 and 2. But like you said, they'll find someone. It's time for Ballard to dust off his binder and get to work.

It is obvious we have to look for a backup in offenses that run similar systems/motion offenses like Reich and Sirianni's system - Eagles, Chargers, Patriots, Saints etc.

I am more sold on Chad Kelly as a #2 behind Brissett than some here are, but definitely feel the need to have a #3 throughout the year, for Chad Kelly insurance. 

I think the Colts have been interested in Sudfeld before last week.  If its about adding him, its not about him necessarily playing in the first two weeks, but looking to the future in some capacity.

But I assume he is one QB who knows a playbook that is very similar to what the Colts run, as opposed to some other vet, so he would also be a logical choice for this immediate emergency.

50 minutes ago, stitches said:

My only ask for Ballard is to not give up any major assets for whatever backup he decides to get. There is a significant likelihood we will need every possible top 3-4 rounds pick we have either next year or the year after to get in position to draft the QB Ballard decides is to be our QB of the future. 

He got Brissett for a player he was probably going to cut anyway.

32 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think the Colts have been interested in Sudfeld before last week.  If its about adding him, its not about him necessarily playing in the first two weeks, but looking to the future in some capacity.

But I assume he is one QB who knows a playbook that is very similar to what the Colts run, as opposed to some other vet, so he would also be a logical choice for this immediate emergency.

They tried to sign Sudfeld off the Eagles practice squad last year. They've been interested for a while now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MAv said:

I would have to agree...Kelly is out best chance of competing this season..... well I guess I'm going to have to put a black patch on each one of my jerseys, because we are dead this season......