Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First 2 games - should we sign a vet?

chad72

Let Brissett and Walker handle it the first 2 weeks. But I want Kelly out there week 3. Theres something Aaron Rodgers/Brett Farve about him a mobile Slinger. He has really shown no reason not to give him a shot. See what Mr. Irrelevant has. Ballard took a chance on him and he has shined in preseason. Let the young kid focus on starting and see if he has what it takes to redeem himself on the field.

• Like 1

I think we'll be following the waiver wire closely. Not sure what will be available, but I doubt we'd find any studs. Perhaps someone to replace Walker. 

I'd bet just about anything Kelly makes the 53 now. The Colts simply won't expose him. Headcase or not, he looks the part on the field and per Reich, doing very well off of it currently.

The only thing I can see happening (veteran wise) is perhaps an Eli trade mid to late season if Jones ends up starting.

2 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Let Brissett and Walker handle it the first 2 weeks. But I want Kelly out there week 3. Theres something Aaron Rodgers/Brett Farve about him a mobile Slinger. He has really shown no reason not to give him a shot. See what Mr. Irrelevant has.

If we start out in the  0-3 or 1-5 range, there's nor reason not to give Kelly a shot. Sometimes you have to roll the dice to win.

48 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

If we start out in the  0-3 or 1-5 range

I think the perspective on that has to be how they've lost if that's the case. If they are getting ran out of the stadium, which I doubt that happens, then they have every reason to look beyond JB, but I look for JB to be the starter for this season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I think the perspective on that has to be how they've lost if that's the case. If they are getting ran out of the stadium, which I doubt that happens, then they have every reason to look beyond JB, but I look for JB to be the starter for this season. 

Regardless of the "how", if you're 4 games under 500, there's really no reason to stay status quo. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Regardless of the "how", if you're 4 games under 500, there's really no reason to stay status quo. 

If they're losing low 1 score games, I'm not in favor of changing. I don't think that's a positive message to send to the rest of the team. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

They started 1-5 last year

yes, but very different situation. we had a generational QB (who wasn't the reason for the losses but was obviously our best chance to win), we had an OL that was musical chairs the first 1/3 or first 1/2 of the season, musical chairs at WR, our RB1 was out early, and the D was inconsistent. And both O and D schemes were brand new.

all that has changed. our OL is solid. our WR unit is more than solid. our RB1 is healthy. everyone knows the scheme. very very different situation.

6 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

If they're losing low 1 score games, I'm not in favor of changing. I don't think that's a positive message to send to the rest of the team. 

disagree. unless you're trying to tank, you try something new and do your best to find a spark. making a change is just business, and players hate to lose probably more than fans. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Thanks.    I thought he was getting the reputation as being a bit of an underachiever for most of his career, so I'm surprised they extended him for so much money so recently at that age.

The media labels every QB that hasn't won a SB as an underachiever. Matt Ryan is a top ten NFL QB who recently won an MVP. Extending him was kind of a no-brainer. They certainly weren't going to trade him so they could take a flyer on Jake Fromm, just because he's from Georgia.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Let Brissett and Walker handle it the first 2 weeks. But I want Kelly out there week 3. Theres something Aaron Rodgers/Brett Farve about him a mobile Slinger. He has really shown no reason not to give him a shot. See what Mr. Irrelevant has. Ballard took a chance on him and he has shined in preseason. Let the young kid focus on starting and see if he has what it takes to redeem himself on the field.

I'm with you, but the politics of the situation says Brissett plays until injured.

And if Ballard ever gets rid of Kelly it will go down in history as one of the most bone-headed moves by any GM.

2 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Why don't the Colts try to get Kelly's suspension overturned or reduced to 1 game? I don't hear anything about any attempts being made. At least, give it a try.

Little late for that.    He deserves the suspension anyway.   

40 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

I'm with you, but the politics of the situation says Brissett plays until injured.

And if Ballard ever gets rid of Kelly it will go down in history as one of the most bone-headed moves by any GM.

A 7th round pick that was cut by the team that drafted him.   Then possibly gets cut by his next team wouldn't make the top 1000 bone headed moves by a gm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Unless Jacoby gets hurt,  there is zero chance Kelly is the starter week 3

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I disagree. If Kelly plays well, this week and Brissett goes 0-2, Kelly has a shot to at least be considered.

I don’t hear anything from the national media about him (yet), but my “eye test” tells me he’s capable and instinctive.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, coltsfeva said:

I disagree. If Kelly plays well, this week and Brissett goes 0-2, Kelly has a shot to at least be considered.

I don’t hear anything from the national media about him (yet), but my “eye test” tells me he’s capable and instinctive.

Your eye test means zero to the coaches and gm.  They aren't pulling Jacoby in two games.  Jacoby has an entire season under his belt as a starter.   He has now had two seasons learning this offense.   Unless he gets hurt or throws a ton of picks he isn't getting benched until 6 or 7 losses

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Your eye test means zero to the coaches and gm.  They aren't pulling Jacoby in two games.  Jacoby has an entire season under his belt as a starter.   He has now had two seasons learning this offense.   Unless he gets hurt or throws a ton of picks he isn't getting benched until 6 or 7 losses

You might be right. But if the losses (whether it be 2 or 6) are because of Jacoby: (holding the ball too long, throwing without “touch”, bad decisions, etc) and Kelly looking sharp, I wouldn’t be surprised to see replacement as a consideration.

But let’s hope for the best with JB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If they are truly working on a extension for JB they aren’t pulling him after two games. It might take a couple games for the team to find it’s rhythm with JB.

it won't be just a few games. i think JB will get 4 to 5 even is he's 0 and XX.. 

i'd prefer they not extend early. see what happens the first half of the season.

• Like 1

Drew Stanton is losing the backup job to Garrett Gilbert who lit the AAF on fire and is now doing it in preseason (Not to mention he was baker Mayfield's idol while growing up in the same neighborhood, Baker would tag along wherever Gilbert went).  Stanton has been around awhile including a year as our clipboard holder.

Mike Glennon is being beat out by Nathan Petterman whom Gruden has always had a man crush on. Mike had a very solid rookie year starting in Tampa, got a huge contract from the Bears but didnt last long.

Josh Johnson is out in Detroit as soon as Tom Savage returns which could be this week (Lions are very high on Tom). Johnson threw his first nfl passes in 7 years last season with the Redskins, Has played for 16 Pro franchises including his stint in Indy. 

I believe Chad Kelly once he returns is a better option than those 3 or most anyone mentioned in this thread but Philip Walker on the other hand is well below all 3.

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Agreed listen to the coaches and Ballard.  They are all in on Brissett.  They like him.  He’s the starter for this year.  If he plays well he’s probably the starter going forward as well.

Colts fans are going to have to get used to a new reality where you don’t have a top five QB.  The good news is Ballard has been trying to build a team that doesn’t need one.  One similar to the Eagles who won it all a couple of years ago.  A type of team the Colts haven’t had to be since Harbaugh was here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DougDew said:

I know we're thinking in terms of backup this year, but JBs contract is due so technically, we are pretty void of proven top notch QB talent on the roster at this point that we can count on for stability.

I hate the idea of drafting a rookie QB high, then forcing him into the starter position out of need. 

And you wouldn't draft a QB high to be JBs backup, if you choose to sign JB.

Okay, crazy idea I know:  I'd like to see us be bold about it and go after Matt Ryan to be JBs backup this year but probably a starter for two years as a rookie sits on the bench.  Don't know how married ATL is to Ryan at this point considering one of the best QBs in the draft will be Fromme from UGA.  We have the space to absorb Ryan's contract this year.  An out of the box solution.

Just thinking about the back up spot this year in light of what the roster is going to look like come spring.

Well... That's something

12 hours ago, Superman said:

The acquiring team would only be responsible for the salaries and future roster bonuses, and corresponding cap hits. So if a team did trade for Ryan this season, they would only have a $2.75m cap hit in 2019 (that's his salary; the contract is very bonus heavy). 

I like how you're knowledgeable on contract details.

There seems to be conflicting info on the forum about what happens if Luck returns from retirement. As I understand it, his contract is frozen, so if he were to return in, say, 10 years, would his contract pick up right where he left off?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

They started 1-5 last year

They were committed to Luck, and if Brissett is not executing well, like you insinuated, the same 1-5 could be handled differently, IMO.

For JB’s sake and for the Colts sake, I hope JB starts 3-3 or 4-2 the first 6 games. Wasn’t it Brissett who called a team meeting after the 1-5 start? Belichick doesn’t spend a 3rd rounder on a QB that’s not a quality kind, IMO.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, DougDew said:

I know we're thinking in terms of backup this year, but JBs contract is due so technically, we are pretty void of proven top notch QB talent on the roster at this point that we can count on for stability.

I hate the idea of drafting a rookie QB high, then forcing him into the starter position out of need. 

And you wouldn't draft a QB high to be JBs backup, if you choose to sign JB.

Okay, crazy idea I know:  I'd like to see us be bold about it and go after Matt Ryan to be JBs backup this year but probably a starter for two years as a rookie sits on the bench.  Don't know how married ATL is to Ryan at this point considering one of the best QBs in the draft will be Fromme from UGA.  We have the space to absorb Ryan's contract this year.  An out of the box solution.

Just thinking about the back up spot this year in light of what the roster is going to look like come spring.

This is...just wow.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

Why don't the Colts try to get Kelly's suspension overturned or reduced to 1 game? I don't hear anything about any attempts being made. At least, give it a try.

uh, have you seen what the suspension is for?  its really bizarre, they are not going to overturn that

i didnt see it mentioned anywhere, but he had to be drunk AF to do that

Yes, Yes and more Yes to your question...Ok, as far as Andrew's retirement, I say good for him....he knows his body...he knows what's good for his body....and like he said, he's not having fun....Now let be real moving forward with  Jacoby Brisset, this is where Chris Ballard is really going to earning his money...and now he has to dip into his bag of tricks and find a quarterback....Brisset is not going to do it...he is not an elite quarterback... and you are asking him to compete with the top league quarterbacks of the NFL...that not going to happen....the best thing that would happen to Jacoby is if he trips coming out of the tunnel and brakes his ankle in 15 places... one thing is for sure we are going to need a quarterback....or this is going to be another rebuilding year.... Now I do like what I've seen out of Kelly....I would start Kelly over Brisset anyday...

5 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

There seems to be conflicting info on the forum about what happens if Luck returns from retirement. As I understand it, his contract is frozen, so if he were to return in, say, 10 years, would his contract pick up right where he left off?

Hope you don't mind me stepping for Superman.  Here is some NFL Reserve/Retired rules.

Reserve/Retired List –

A player may write to the Commissioner stating their intent to retire. Upon approval of the Commissioner, the player can be added to the Reserve/Retired list. If this occurs before the start of training camp, that player must acknowledge that they will not be able to play for any team for the remainder of that season. Should a player decide to seek reinstatement after that season, they will only be eligible to play for the team from which they retired.

Players can seek retirement after the start of the season as well. They are eligible to be reinstated by the commissioner (per their own request) only before the trade deadline of that season. The club may seek reinstatement of a retired player between the trade deadline and the last 30 days of the regular season. No player can be reinstated in the last 30 days.

If a player retires prior to the expiration of his contract, the team can place him on the Reserve/Retired List and retain its rights to the player under the player’s contract.  The contract is tolled, so if, for example, a player retires with 2 years remaining on his contract, and is placed on the Reserve/Retired List, then, if he chooses to “unretire”, the player’s rights are still held by the team to the extent of the remaining 2 years of the contract.

HTH.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

CBFL answered in great detail, so I'll just co-sign his post. The Colts retain his rights in perpetuity.

A recent event might help shed light on that. McAfee retired, but still had years remaining on his contract. When he interviewed Ballard at camp a couple weeks ago, Ballard said 'yeah, I would have told the Bears I wanted something back for you, I wasn't just gonna let you go for nothing.' He said it in a joking manner, but the fact remains that, contractually, the Colts still have rights to McAfee.

Same thing with Luck. The Colts will hold his rights until/unless they surrender those rights, either by trade or release.

• Like 1