Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
strt182

The Chris Ballard Question

Recommended Posts

I'm wondering if this was a thing. Chris from day one said " It's not about ONE GUY" . 

That being said with there have been talks in the front office about this for the last 10 days roughly i wondered if it boiled down to what I will call the Ballard Question. 

 

" Are you IN or are you OUT?" 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never thought of that, but did Ballard force Lucks  hand about 10 days ago and tell him we need to know are you going to play and Luck chose not to. If that's the case Ballard certainly isn't short on confidence in his ability to build a competitive team. You have to love that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two things:

First: Off topic, but you can't blame Ballard. He knows he has to have a QB that is mentally prepared to lead this team for the next decade to the "promise land." 

 

Second: Does this change Colts football forever? How long does this take Colts fans to "forget" about. I've never felt as if the entire sports world of city of Indianapolis has been so down. Every conversation I came about had to do with Andrew, just a very hard pill to swallow! 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Two things:

First: Off topic, but you can't blame Ballard. He knows he has to have a QB that is mentally prepared to lead this team for the next decade to the "promise land." 

 

Second: Does this change Colts football forever? How long does this take Colts fans to "forget" about. I've never felt as if the entire sports world of city of Indianapolis has been so down. Every conversation I came about had to do with Andrew, just a very hard pill to swallow! 

I don't blame Ballard actually I love having Ballard here. I have faith in his process. 

 

We was down when Manning was let go. We will be just fine. It will be on our minds for a while but once we do some winning we will be okay. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Luck really didn't want to play Ballard did the right thing, for the short term and the long term. But, Idon't know if that was the case, I don't know if anybody does, outside of Colt headquarters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, strt182 said:

I'm wondering if this was a thing. Chris from day one said " It's not about ONE GUY" . 

That being said with there have been talks in the front office about this for the last 10 days roughly i wondered if it boiled down to what I will call the Ballard Question. 

 

" Are you IN or are you OUT?" 

 

 

It sounds like they knew about this Monday of last week. But waited until Saturday nights game to announce it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Two things:

First: Off topic, but you can't blame Ballard. He knows he has to have a QB that is mentally prepared to lead this team for the next decade to the "promise land." 

 

Second: Does this change Colts football forever? How long does this take Colts fans to "forget" about. I've never felt as if the entire sports world of city of Indianapolis has been so down. Every conversation I came about had to do with Andrew, just a very hard pill to swallow! 

The day they cut Peyton was pretty dark too but Andrew was the light at the end of the tunnel.  Now we aren’t sure where the tunnel ends.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GoColts8818 said:

The day they cut Peyton was pretty dark too but Andrew was the light at the end of the tunnel.  Now we aren’t sure where the tunnel ends.

Do you think Brissett is a franchise QB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The day they cut Peyton was pretty dark too but Andrew was the light at the end of the tunnel.  Now we aren’t sure where the tunnel ends.

Exactly. It was dark, but I knew we were set with Andrew Luck. Our team is as good(not considering QB) as it has been in a long time. However, I do not want to be the Bengals. They consistently were are a tad bit above average, yet never could win a playoff game as the competition became to great. 

 

Here's to hoping Brissett is the man!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably not but he's who we have now.  It's up to Brissett and the coaching staff to prove that they can be productive.  I have a sneaking suspicion, no evidence mind you, that Reich and Co prefer Kelly but hes got to serve his suspension. Its Jacoby's job to loose and hes got my full support, if not my full confidence.  Bottom line is Luck is gone.  Fans will move on after week 1 and the organization has already done so.  Given the circumstances i think we're in the best hand we could be.  Nothing to do now but see how it plays out.  Love Luck, grateful for the past 7 years, but hes moved on.  One day is all it's taken me to follow suit.  He's gone fans,  Colts play with the QB's they have not the one they want just like '17.  We all get to see what they're made of.  Go Colts.

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Do you think Brissett is a franchise QB?

No I think he’s a high end backup / boarder line starting QB.  Something along the lines that Colts fans haven’t been used to having since Harbaugh was here.  I think the Colts can win with him but I don’t think he’s a guy you build your team around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Two things:

First: Off topic, but you can't blame Ballard. He knows he has to have a QB that is mentally prepared to lead this team for the next decade to the "promise land." 

 

Second: Does this change Colts football forever? How long does this take Colts fans to "forget" about. I've never felt as if the entire sports world of city of Indianapolis has been so down. Every conversation I came about had to do with Andrew, just a very hard pill to swallow! 

I'm not nearly as bummed as I was when i KNEW Peyton was leaving.

THAT was MY personal WORST Colt-related event.

This is a drop in the bucket compared that that for me.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Two_pound said:

I never thought of that, but did Ballard force Lucks  hand about 10 days ago and tell him we need to know are you going to play and Luck chose not to. If that's the case Ballard certainly isn't short on confidence in his ability to build a competitive team. You have to love that.

He wouldn't have forced him to retire though.  IR maybe with a tag to return, but forcing retirement is a whole other level.

 

Now if luck was on the fence on retirement or playing and was waffling with Ballard, then I can see him saying he needs to decide now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Do you think Brissett is a franchise QB?

I honestly don't think he is. I am not saying he is a bad QB, BUT I do not think he is a franchise QB. And I hope he proves me wrong, because if not then the Colts need to start thinking about drafting a QB. In a way I wish Trevor Lawrence would say he is entering the 2020 NFL Draft and the Colts have the first pick lol. BUT then I also want Brisset to go out there throw for 4,000 yards and 40 TD's and leading the Colts to a 12-4 record and winning the division and home field through out the playoffs.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Do you think Brissett is a franchise QB?

No, but I dont think Trent Dilfer was either. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, strt182 said:

I don't blame Ballard actually I love having Ballard here. I have faith in his process. 

 

We was down when Manning was let go. We will be just fine. It will be on our minds for a while but once we do some winning we will be okay. 

Winning cures EVERYTHING ;D!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The day they cut Peyton was pretty dark too but Andrew was the light at the end of the tunnel.  Now we aren’t sure where the tunnel ends.

Your 100% right. 

The tunnel from Bert Jones to Manning was 2 Decades with a few moments in-between.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Do you think Brissett is a franchise QB?

No I think Kelly has a better chance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, colts8718 said:

No I think Kelly has a better chance

I agree 100%.  I think if Kelly has matured as much as our coaches say he has, he has a VERY high ceiling... he has the arm talent and tools to be a franchise QB, and i would rather see him start the majority of this season, to see what we have.

 

I dont feel that Jacoby is a franchise QB, but i feel that some team would sign him this off season to be their starter, and we would reap a nice comp pick for that...I think Kelly is as talented or more so than any QB in the 2020 draft, his "off the field" stuff is the only think holding him back.  

Let Jacoby walk after this year...give Kelly a shot at starting... if it fails, we end up with a comp pick and a better shot at drafting Lawrence in 2021, anyhow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

I agree 100%.  I think if Kelly has matured as much as our coaches say he has, he has a VERY high ceiling... he has the arm talent and tools to be a franchise QB, and i would rather see him start the majority of this season, to see what we have.

 

I dont feel that Jacoby is a franchise QB, but i feel that some team would sign him this off season to be their starter, and we would reap a nice comp pick for that...I think Kelly is as talented or more so than any QB in the 2020 draft, his "off the field" stuff is the only think holding him back.  

Let Jacoby walk after this year...give Kelly a shot at starting... if it fails, we end up with a comp pick and a better shot at drafting Lawrence in 2021, anyhow.

Yes. actuality that’s not a bad Idea I think we need to lose again to get him maybe we should play Walker at Qb that should do it... lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coltsblue1844 said:

I agree 100%.  I think if Kelly has matured as much as our coaches say he has, he has a VERY high ceiling... he has the arm talent and tools to be a franchise QB, and i would rather see him start the majority of this season, to see what we have.

 

I dont feel that Jacoby is a franchise QB, but i feel that some team would sign him this off season to be their starter, and we would reap a nice comp pick for that...I think Kelly is as talented or more so than any QB in the 2020 draft, his "off the field" stuff is the only think holding him back.  

Let Jacoby walk after this year...give Kelly a shot at starting... if it fails, we end up with a comp pick and a better shot at drafting Lawrence in 2021, anyhow.

Yes your right on Ballard is a smart guy and patient Jacoby from what i can see does not see the field this kid has moxy and makes things happen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't mean to say Ballard may have "forced" Luck to retire, I was referring to as you stated at the end he wanted Luck to decide instead of his constant waffling. And Luck decided to retire. I wish him well, no hard feelings from me, thank you Andrew for 7 great years!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Deadpool said:

I honestly don't think he is. I am not saying he is a bad QB, BUT I do not think he is a franchise QB. And I hope he proves me wrong, because if not then the Colts need to start thinking about drafting a QB. In a way I wish Trevor Lawrence would say he is entering the 2020 NFL Draft and the Colts have the first pick lol. BUT then I also want Brisset to go out there throw for 4,000 yards and 40 TD's and leading the Colts to a 12-4 record and winning the division and home field through out the playoffs.

I remember this kind of thinking about Kurt Warner, too. Sometimes, people fool you in the best way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CoachLite said:

I remember this kind of thinking about Kurt Warner, too. Sometimes, people fool you in the best way.

Touché' 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 11:44 PM, Colts1324 said:

Two things:

First: Off topic, but you can't blame Ballard. He knows he has to have a QB that is mentally prepared to lead this team for the next decade to the "promise land." 

 

Second: Does this change Colts football forever? How long does this take Colts fans to "forget" about. I've never felt as if the entire sports world of city of Indianapolis has been so down. Every conversation I came about had to do with Andrew, just a very hard pill to swallow! 

It'll be tough this season unless Brissett leads them to a division title.   Otherwise we'll all be thinking about what could have been.   I don't think anyone thinks Brissett will be as good as Luck.   

It'll take time and a competent QB to get over this and move on completely.   The team is young and solid.  We had that along with a top 5 QB and lots of cap space.   The sky was the limit.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I seriously doubt Ballard's question of....    "are you in, or are you out?" was intended to be for his career.

 

If it was said at all,  I strongly suspect it was simply about.....   this season. 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Myles said:

It'll be tough this season unless Brissett leads them to a division title.   Otherwise we'll all be thinking about what could have been.   I don't think anyone thinks Brissett will be as good as Luck.   

It'll take time and a competent QB to get over this and move on completely.   The team is young and solid.  We had that along with a top 5 QB and lots of cap space.   The sky was the limit.   

 

The problem I see is that Brissett is good enough to get this team some wins, maybe even somewhere around 500.  But he's not good enough to bring them to victory in the playoffs (and likely not even to the playoffs) and therefore likely not good enough to bring them to a SB.  But at the same time he will win enough to keep them from a top draft pick to get a new QB in town.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

The problem I see is that Brissett is good enough to get this team some wins, maybe even somewhere around 500.  But he's not good enough to bring them to victory in the playoffs (and likely not even to the playoffs) and therefore likely not good enough to bring them to a SB.  But at the same time he will win enough to keep them from a top draft pick to get a new QB in town.  

I have the same fear.   Brissett may put us in the same trouble Dallas is in with Dak.   Good but not great QB, but better than available free agents.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballard had the #3 pick in the draft and should have stayed put and drafted a QB (Darnold), as I said at the time.  Now we can enjoy watching Nelson pancake his foes while the Colts lose 24-10.   And to add insult to injury, we can watch Darnold lead the Jets to the playoffs.

 

My mantra: Always draft a QB prospect in the top 5.  After all, a QB deficiency is why you got that high pick in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Colt team will be in the playoffs long before the Jest will. One the most shocking and disappointing losses by the Colts in the last 20 years was last seasons loss to the Jest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...