Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rotoworld Reports Freeney Unlikely To Be Traded..

Indeee

Looks like Freeney will be released as we can't find any trade partner willing to assume his 14 mil salary. This stinks because he will quickly be scooped once he hits open market. It's a shame we can't even get a pick back. Oh well.. we better take that money and sign Siloai

So, what is he going to do if push comes to shove? He will probably take a 1 yr. $10 mil. deal with someone else after being released. Something that he could have done for us allowing us to trade him?? After seeing what Wayne did, this would be the opposite end of the spectrum.

What is the cap hit if he is released?

So, what is he going to do if push comes to shove? He will probably take a 1 yr. $10 mil. deal with someone else after being released. Something that he could have done for us allowing us to trade him?? After seeing what Wayne did, this would be the opposite end of the spectrum.

No he'll get a 2-3 or 3-4 year deal which will likely include the 14 million that he would have been paid from the Colts as a base salary, as part of a signing bonus.

What is the cap hit if he is released?

I believe the Colts are on the hook for $5 MIL no matter what, but will save around $14 MIL if he is released/traded.

I think this trade will still get done. After the Mario Williams sweepstakes ends we'll have people knocking at our door for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I just hope we ship him off to the nfc. Maybe the seahawks.

The problem is the paperwork has to be filed with the league, and then the cap space released for us to sign someone like Evan Mathis. If we wait, Evan Mathis could be gone.

It is a domino effect - Peyton rejects Titans, Titans can focus on Mario Williams, then teams can focus on Freeney.

I say release him now, sign Evan Mathis.

i think cutting him would take too much of a cap hit. wouldnt it? Doesnt he have 1 year left in his contract? Wouldnt hurt that bad...

If he stays we would have to pay him $19M and if we cut him the cap hit would be about $5M but we save about $14M from what I understand.

Whats really weird about this is that another team giving us a draft pick essentially keeps him off the market. This is why we did what we did with Philly on Justice. Eagles we're going to release him anyway so by us just swapping 6ths it basically kept him off the market away from other teams. This is why this Freeney thing is odd to me. Unless 31 other teams just don't view him as important enough to take a chance in losing out

Whats really weird about this is that another team giving us a draft pick essentially keeps him off the market. This is why we did what we did with Philly on Justice. Eagles we're going to release him anyway so by us just swapping 6ths it basically kept him off the market away from other teams. This is why this Freeney thing is odd to me. Unless 31 other teams just don't view him as important enough to take a chance in losing out

Because the team wanting to trade him does not hold any cards in this race. The Eagles were not nearly as desperate about Justice as we are with Freeney, in public and other teams' perception, to get something in return after letting go a bunch of other vets. They know, if they wait long enough, we will release him and they dont have to fork out a 3rd or even 4th rounder, and dont have to be tied to Freeney's contract either.

Are you all serious of how you're talking right now. All this trade talk about freeney and release talk about freeney and you all are taking it so lately and saying it like nothing. This man represents the horseshoe very well and you are including in age in your decision? Where is the loyalty in Indy freeney has been a colt forever and respects and wears the horseshoe well. Are you really going to sit here and type this nonsense I hope we keep freeney and he retires a colts hes done so much for this organization brings so much leadership and playing ability has most sacks ever as a colt and this is how were talking about him. WOW fellas rethink your thoughts its plain disgusting.

Are you all serious of how you're talking right now. All this trade talk about freeney and release talk about freeney and you all are taking it so lately and saying it like nothing. This man represents the horseshoe very well and you are including in age in your decision? Where is the loyalty in Indy freeney has been a colt forever and respects and wears the horseshoe well. Are you really going to sit here and type this nonsense I hope we keep freeney and he retires a colts hes done so much for this organization brings so much leadership and playing ability has most sacks ever as a colt and this is how were talking about him. WOW fellas rethink your thoughts its plain disgusting.

Louis I think it's safe to say we all love 93, however we are all looking towards the future and Freeney isn't a part of that equation any longer. Especially considering we are switching defense philosiphy. We need a true NT and we need bux to get one

The problem is the paperwork has to be filed with the league, and then the cap space released for us to sign someone like Evan Mathis. If we wait, Evan Mathis could be gone.

It is a domino effect - Peyton rejects Titans, Titans can focus on Mario Williams, then teams can focus on Freeney.

Has Mathis been in or shown any interest? If that's what you want to do, then you at least keep Freeney until Mathis indicates he'll sign, not simply in the hopes of signing him.

Ah, the loyalty card. Surely that 'loyalty' wasn't bought with millions upon millions of dollars.....

People just do not want to accept that the NFL is a buisness and nothing else. People always get so upset when players hold out and preach this idealistic rhetoric about honoring contracts and loyalty, but teams are just as disloyal by these peoples defintion. The bottom line is there is no loyalty in this business. The team has to do what is best for them and the player has to do what is best for them.

With this rebuilding process it is better to save the 14 million then have Freeney try and convert to a 3-4 and pay him 19 million. It is a shame we will have to outright cut him and not get anything back for him.

are we to pretend it's not happening? or should we discuss it but insert a bunch of *sniffles*

I wonder if there's some metric somewhere that considers mathematically how many games dwight won for the colts via late game heroics. He was our closer.

Do you even understand how rare this guy's talent is? more rare than manning, harrison, anyone who has come down the line.

In my book, He's in the Reggie White, Bruce Smith, John Randle category.

He'll get a huge contract and he'll make it worth it.

I wonder if there's some metric somewhere that considers mathematically how many games dwight won for the colts via late game heroics. He was our closer.

Do you even understand how rare this guy's talent is? more rare than manning, harrison, anyone who has come down the line.

In my book, He's in the Reggie White, Bruce Smith, John Randle category.

He'll get a huge contract and he'll make it worth it.

and they all played for a different team

Hopefully, Williams will sign with the Bills.

So if we do release him can the Colts still pick up a quality defensive player with the extra cap room he would provide????

yeah they can, but they would have to hurry as most of the defensive players are getting scooped up with a quickness. wish they would release him and try to sign mario williams. him and mathis as both OLB's in a 3-4 would be pretty scary.

yeah they can, but they would have to hurry as most of the defensive players are getting scooped up with a quickness. wish they would release him and try to sign mario williams. him and mathis as both OLB's in a 3-4 would be pretty scary.

Yeah that would be, unfortunately I don't see it happening. :drink:

Looks like Freeney will be released as we can't find any trade partner willing to assume his 14 mil salary. This stinks because he will quickly be scooped once he hits open market. It's a shame we can't even get a pick back. Oh well.. we better take that money and sign Siloai

one site with LaCanfora said something about the Colts would keep Freeney and not cut him, that Pagano is really high on Freeney and would hate to let him go.