Indianapolis Colts
boo2202

Luck Retires/ The timing of it all... (merge)

8 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Don’t know if this has been said, but Luck was boo’d as he walked off the field, and if what it being reported is accurate, then rightfully so.

Yes he was boo'd.  I watched the game tonight and saw it happen live.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

You can argue he owes it to his teammates but he owes fans nothing.  Sorry I know fans like to think that players and teams owe us something but they don’t.

No but he shouldn’t have lied and drug fans along. “I’m fully expecting to play week 1” what a joke 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Colts future prospects nose diving.  Brissett is just middling at best.   Probably will finish .500 which puts them out of reach of any respectable QB which means more mediocrity.  Lucas Oil about to get empty.  

Also, could’ve drafted a QB in last year’s loaded class.  Darnold could be a Colt now.  Luck absolutely screwed the Colts retiring a year later

Right about Sam, but Ballard got smug and traded down.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, HOF19 said:

Peyton will always be one of my top 5 players of my life but (to me at least ) Peyton will always be second to Johnny U ( I fell in love with him when I was 10 years old )

That’s fine but it’s hard to argue you’ve been waiting for 50 years for another QB when you had Peyton Manning in there.

Just now, csmopar said:

@Nadine I am gonna go ahead apologize on behalf of us all, this is not gonna end well and you and your mod staff are gonna have your hands full the next few days. Thanks and good luck

I get the emotion.  

It's a bizarre situation

But people should be advised.  I'm banning like crazy right now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

wrong chicken GIF by happydog

Lmao the irony. Quit idolizing these athletes. They aren't any better than any of us. A quitter is a quitter. 

• Like 1

For as complicated as this apparently is, some of this is simple.

If Luck's injury was significant (e.g., season-ending), most people will support him.

If the injury is not significant, most people are going to be furious that he waited this long.

• Like 3

The guy played thru a lacerated kidney for the fans.

He battled back from the shoulder thing, for the fans.

He has always been a class act.

And tonight the fans booed him and hurled insults at him as he walked off the field.

Its shameful how people act.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

BREAKING NEWS: Andrew Luck realizes that retiring from the NFL is actually more mentally draining and a much bigger threat to his health, and is unretiring effective immediately.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

You'll be downvoted to hell because people idolize athletes.  But this is the truth. If you don't have the passion the time to quit was 4-5 months ago. 

The fact he came into camp and wasted everyone's time by regurgitating his passion for the game and other nonsense is low. 

As I tell my kids in sports. If you commit it's done. It's a "commitment".  After the season you can always reassess and stop or keep going. But once you are in then you give it everything you got. Same with your job, your school, your marriage everything. 

Quitters are what they are. 

Doing right by you is never a wrong choice.

Luck did not hurt anybody. He is doing what is best for him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

He owes it to his teammate and his fanbase to not screw the team and the fans a couple of weeks before the season.  This was not a snap decision made by him.  Quitting has been on his mind and he should have quit when it first crept into his mind.  

He doesn't owe it to teammates or fanbase. Players are free to retire whenever they want. Just like teams can cut and trade players whenever they want. Go ask Peyton Manning how he felt when the Colts got rid of him and if the Colts owed him anything.

Circumstances are not always ideal if life including sports...you just have to deal with it. It's not ideal timing, it would have been better if this happend in the spring but it didn't. Life goes on.

1 minute ago, Nadine said:

I get the emotion.  

It's a bizarre situation

I’m sure. I’ve had to stop myself a few times already. Good luck

Luck is going to be the new hated man in Indy. The positive is we have tons and tons of cap space lol.

• Haha 1

Just now, ColtsSouljah said:

For as complicated as this apparently is, some of this is simple.

If Luck's injury was significant (e.g., season-ending), most people will support him.

If the injury is not significant, most people are going to be furious that he waited this long.

agreed....If they told him you need ankle surgery....and you;re done for 2019..

..then I understand..He got married in the offseason. He doesn't need this

1 minute ago, 18to87 said:

It sounds like social media knew about this before 99% of the organization.

Ballard and Jimmy behind the 8 ball like last year with Josh jilting them. Had Sam at draft 3, but thought Luck was going to be around for years. You just don't pass up QBs

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah...this is gonna be a tough season.

More proof that the team didn’t even know. Heck, Luck may just get his butt kicked in the locker room before he gets to leave the stadium

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

You can argue he owes it to his teammates but he owes fans nothing.  Sorry I know fans like to think that players and teams owe us something but they don’t.

Tell that to the fans who have spend thousands of dollars on tickets and airfare to come see him play.  Without fans there are not teams and no million dollar paychecks.  He absolutely owes it to us NOT to screw the franchise right before the season starts.  

I'm not upset that he's walking away.  I'm upset with the timing.  He knew before today that retirement was a possibility and he should have left with that first inclination.  

I've spent a lot of money on season tickets so yes, I am upset!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I get the emotion.  

It's a bizarre situation

Why? It's a real kick to the head, rear and balls

The Colts still might be good enough to win the AFC South even without Luck.  You never know...JB and Kelly could have them competitive with the overall talent that Ballard has built up on both sides of the ball.   As long as we have Chris Ballard...the Colts franchise will get through this gut punch.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Smoke317 said:

Luck at the podium. 

Here we go. The coward better have a good excuse for waiting till today

Yep it was a crappy thing onto do two weeks before the season. Doesn’t sound like anyone had a clue it was coming.

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nope.    Lawrence was a Freshman last year.

He'll be a sophomore this year.

Won't be available until the 2021 draft.      Not the 2020.

well, that is a LOT of sucking.

History repeats itself for the Colts.

Just as Bert Jones followed the great John Unitas but had a relatively short career with injuries, so Andrew Luck follows the great Peyton Manning but has a relatively short career with injuries.

• Like 1

I think I was blocked for a few minutes but what I said before I left because I bet this new marriage had something to do with this. I know he's been injured but he's an NFL quarterback and paid hundreds of millions of dollars to do so. This is no time to do this especially how they announced it

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

No.. don't boo him :(.. he's our QB.. well. Kinda.. I don't know whhaaaaa :hissy:

He deserves this. The leadership in this locker room is about to be tested. I wonder if Reich or Ballard knew before this got out.

46 minutes ago, TDewar1987 said:

Why would Luck "announce" this in the middle of a game? I know he aint playing just sounds like something hed publicly announce first

He didn't announce this in the middle of the game.

The news leaked in the middle of the game.    Big difference.

He told Irsay BEFORE the game.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Lmao the irony. Quit idolizing these athletes. They aren't any better than any of us. A quitter is a quitter. 

:funny:

Sports is and have been an outlet for me to get from everyday life 

24 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I get it.. this is how all sports will be. My generation wants to travel and not be tied down... oh my goodness. I feel for Lions fans now.. but when did a QB ever do this?

Palmer did it...well I think he was sick of Cincy management but he had to be traded a year later and came out of retirement. I would think he may still come back in a year...but I may think wrong. Kid went back to college for his senior year when he was a consensus #1 pick ...clearly the NFL wasn’t his life goal.

3 minutes ago, ThatOneColtFan said:

I love the Colts, but I rather Andrew retire and find happiness than live that nightmare of trying to bounce back from another injury or mental setbacks. I don't think this came completely out of nowhere (well... it did).

Based off his interviews when he was recovering from that shoulder procedure he did a ton of introspection. The type not a lot of players do in that situation because some of them refuse to see an outcome where they aren't back out there. I think he poured so much into getting back out there that it took a toll on him. He came back looking like his usual self but I do not think he ever got back there mentally. The fire died out and if his body is having him question himself then perhaps this is the best move for him. It's absolutely heartbreaking and I can understand fans being hurt by this. I just think its insane to make him seem like the bad guy in this.

Luck is a good guy.

Yeah...a real good guy.  He was...