Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
boo2202

Luck Retires/ The timing of it all... (merge)

Recommended Posts

I never comment but I am heartbroken. We need to find a new qb for this franchise cause I don't believe Brisset is the answer. But the sad thing is, I don't want to find a new qb, I want Andrew Luck as our qb.  

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long time listener, first time caller.

 

How much would you pay to be able to walk without terrible pain for the last 50+ years of your life? At what point is it morally repugnant to make such a decision about one's only life?

 

In my late 40's now, I wrecked my back moving a couch a year ago and I now understand it will always pain me. I would give just about anything to make it stop. Relatively speaking, it's a very minor thing. Luck's injury cache looks like the aftermath of a series of car accidents. 

 

We're talking about a business that routinely turns its back (and loyalties) on players of even the most stalwart variety. Due to injury, performance issues, smoking pot.... these franchises oblige no one player their loyalties. An exception may be Tom Brady and his unique player/franchise relationship with the Patriots. 

 

Luck would've likely spent most of the season on his rear practically engorging himself like a bloated salary cap tick. 

 

Try dealing with his sudden retirement during week 4 when the overstock of talented free agents has depleted to a bargain area of ragamuffins.

 

The old school forum vets will vouch, I was here, every day, for the 2011 and 2012 season. It broke my heart. It broke my heart and my spirit when my favorite player and the franchises backbone suddenly departed. 

 

It wasn't the player who decided that. It was the team. The Colts. Broke my spirit for the game. 

 

 I hope Luck moves on and enjoys his life to its fullest. A big beautiful house with a bunch of kids he loves. Years of being a dad and chasing the little boogers around the yard...…. ya know, because he can ****ing walk still?

 

Remember that game when Luck and Wayne railed the Packers in an unforgettable win for Chuck? That was fun to watch, as a fan. I ain't gonna sit here and say a single bad thing about one of the fellas that made that memory. Good times!

 

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ruksak said:

Long time listener, first time caller.

 

How much would you pay to be able to walk without terrible pain for the last 50+ years of your life? At what point is it morally repugnant to make such a decision about one's only life?

 

In my late 40's now, I wrecked my back moving a couch a year ago and I now understand it will always pain me. I would give just about anything to make it stop. Relatively speaking, it's a very minor thing. Luck's injury cache looks like the aftermath of a series of car accidents. 

 

We're talking about a business that routinely turns its back (and loyalties) on players of even the most stalwart variety. Due to injury, performance issues, smoking pot.... these franchises oblige no one player their loyalties. An exception may be Tom Brady and his unique player/franchise relationship with the Patriots. 

 

Luck would've likely spent most of the season on his rear practically engorging himself like a bloated salary cap tick. 

 

Try dealing with his sudden retirement during week 4 when the overstock of talented free agents has depleted to a bargain area of ragamuffins.

 

The old school forum vets will vouch, I was here, every day, for the 2011 and 2012 season. It broke my heart. It broke my heart and my spirit when my favorite player and the franchises backbone suddenly departed. 

 

It wasn't the player who decided that. It was the team. The Colts. Broke my spirit for the game. 

 

 I hope Luck moves on and enjoys his life to its fullest. A big beautiful house with a bunch of kids he loves. Years of being a dad and chasing the little boogers around the yard...…. ya know, because he can ****ing walk still?

 

Remember that game when Luck and Wayne railed the Packers in an unforgettable win for Chuck? That was fun to watch, as a fan. I ain't gonna sit here and say a single bad thing about one of the fellas that made that memory. Good times!

 

 

Good to see you back! Stay and play, this place will be interesting for quite some time.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 11:20 PM, presto123 said:

What NFL QB of present or past would you compare Kelly to? I haven't watched ANY of the preseason so far.

The form of Philip Rivers, the legs of Steve Young, the arm of Joe Flacco, and the heart of a lion, if said lion was born in a college frat. 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim Irsay ousted the Manning era for this. 

 

And most were on board. I still remember the ridiculous "suck for luck" campaign. Blew my mind that people were ready to ditch Manning for Luck. 

 

A lot of this is Jim Irsays fault. 

 

It's interesting to see the conclusion of that early 2012 decision. 

 

Simply put, if the Colts were not in position to get Luck, they would have never cut Manning. I'm sure they would have taken the risk and showed patience with the Manning injury. 

 

The argument from many people was would you rather have a few more years with Manning or 10-15 with Luck. 

 

Luck only ended up playing 2 more seasons than Manning. 

 

Lucks decision was absolutely selfish. His decision absolutely affects other players and the entire Colts organization as a whole. His decision is great for him. But it's not good for the Colts, especially the timing. I'm sure if they knew he wasn't going to stick around, they would have made some different moves in the off season. 

 

Good for Andrew. I'm sure Luck just doesn't love football like some of the greats do. 

 

Bad for the Colts

 

And bad decision making from Irsay. 

 

I'm sure I would probably retire, too, though.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cjrichard said:

I would not be surprised that Luck as surgery on his ankle soon.  Here is to hoping that he allows himself to heal and feel right and making a comeback.  He said he needed to break the cycle of pain and rehab.  Taking a year off could do just that.

 

If he does not comeback then i wish him nothing but the best.  I have a signed Luck jersey in my office and it will stay there.    

 

Joseph

I sold a colts signed football with Luck’s signature three days before he retired. Messed up big-time there lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I sold a colts signed football with Luck’s signature three days before he retired. Messed up big-time there lol

Why?... its not like he died, he just quit on his team, that football is worth less now than it was 3 days ago

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not like Luck quit at the first bad sign, or the 2nd or the 3rd etc. That’s not getting repeated enough. And those “doctors” still confuse the heck out of me. They make Marvin Glass look good (please somebody get that killer reference lol).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

It’s not like Luck quit at the first bad sign, or the 2nd or the 3rd etc. That’s not getting repeated enough. And those “doctors” still confuse the heck out of me. They make Marvin Glass look good (please somebody get that killer reference lol).

Lots of players push through multiple injuries.   I just don't think he loved the game enough to do that.   I have no problem with that,   but he isn't the first to have injuries in the NFL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michael Phelps had a problem. Maybe Andrew Luck has the same problem? Maybe worse? Who knows? I hear that depression can be debilitating.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s incredible hindsight.  I bet you would be great at picking the lottery numbers the day after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the team and O.Line we had even Peyton would not of won a SB with us at that point. We were also in Salary Cap trouble and needed Peyton's contract off the books. We had an aging team and needed a rebuild. Irsay easily made the right move by drafting Luck and I love Peyton. It's not like Luck was a bust either, he went 11-5 his first 3 years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Peyton went on to two Super Bowls after us.,just saying .

 

Good for Peyton right? Peyton never goes to a single super bowl with us had they not moved on... He also got wiped in one of those superbowls and did absolutely nothing in the other which his defense won so he could ride off into the sunset. Good. For. Peyton. 

 

The idea was to be a win-win for everyone. Peyton gets to CHOOSE which loaded roster he plays with and wins another championship. Check. We draft Luck. Check. We play the longterm game and have our franchise qb for the next 15 years. Eh... Not all plans work to perfection. It worked out well for Peyton. Andrew came out OK. Indianapolis Colts- not ideal, but not horrible. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thatonefan said:

The form of Philip Rivers, the legs of Steve Young, the arm of Joe Flacco, and the heart of a lion, if said lion was born in a college frat. 

So you are saying Andrew Luck should have been Kelly's back up?:lol:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thatonefan said:

The form of Philip Rivers, the legs of Steve Young, the arm of Joe Flacco, and the heart of a lion, if said lion was born in a college frat. 

Get a grip.    He has yet to show anything

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was the right decision for Peyton and the team. Irsay did what was best for the team and Peyton benefited from it. 

 

Peyton Manning will always be my all time  favorite player but even I knew that it was the right decision then and now!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When a path is chosen, the alternative goes away forever and we’re left to speculate.  For all we know, if we’d have kept Manning, Luck could have gone on to win multiple SB championships with another team, and we could be watching Peyton eat his food with a straw.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad the players and media are now scolding the fans over this.  

  

Ultimately we're the ones that lose and now it feels like we're getting blamed too.  

  

I'm tired of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thatonefan said:

The form of Philip Rivers, the legs of Steve Young, the arm of Joe Flacco, and the heart of a lion, if said lion was born in a college frat. 

Wha'd he do, dismember them? Those would be serious behavioral infractions, punishable with suspension for at least another week.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think letting Manning go to a superbowl ready team was mutually beneficial.  It helped him secure his legacy in a way staying in Indy could not have.  I dont see it as Irsay taking out the trash for Andrew.  There wasnt any betrayal in it.  And there was no way to know Luck's career would be an abbreviated one.  To the original poster every decision people make in their own best interest is, by its nature, a selfish one.  In hindsight all Luck did was leave his job. Every time I've left an employer for a better opportunity I guess I let my coworkers, owners, and customers down.   I should have stayed at the gas station where I started at 14 years old........Im a quitter........Can we cut andrew some slack?  Hes entitled to make decisions in the best interest of himself and his young family.  Once the season starts we'll all move on.  He was good for this city and this organization, the pain will pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In hindsight, it goes like this.

 

We let Peyton go. We take a chance on a young scout from Chicago named Chris Ballard as GM. We trade the Andrew Luck pick for more than the 3 first round and 1 second round picks that the Rams got for RG3 that year. Ballard works his magic over the course of a couple of rough seasons, stacking draft picks and solid drafts with the perfect mixture of early and late first round picks.

 

Luke Kuechly early in the 2012 draft,  with Alshon Jeffrey in round 2, we pick up our franchise qb Russell Wilson unknowingly in the 3rd round and finish with a good 5th rounder in cornerback Josh Norman. Young Ballard picks up Lane Johnson at tackle with an early pick of the 2013 draft and Deandre Hopkins with our acquired 1st round pick from the previous year. We draft Leveon Bell in the 2nd along with Travis Kelce in the 3rd that year. In 2014, with the acquired pick from Washington who landed the 2nd overall pick of the draft, we land Khalil Mack and build a deep receiver group by adding Devonte Adams in the 2nd round. 

 

Filling out the roster with solid mid to late draft picks and free agents, the Ballard led Colts win 5 straight superbowls in 2014, 15, 16, 17, and 2018, defeating the New England Patriots in all 5 playoffs and finally sending Tom Brady into retirement. With another superb draft class that adds to an already deep and talented roster, specifically at receiver and defensive pass rushers, and after losing tragically by a non call pass interference to the New Orleans Saints in the 2019 Super Bowl, the Indianapolis Colts look to continue this dynastic adventure in Madden like fashion. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Irsay made the logical move , based on salary cap, and Manning’s injury.  With Luck as #1, it was the smart money pick , at the time. 

The thing I never agreed with Irsay was his comments over winning just one Super Bowl. It hurt Manning, and it wasn’t totally fair as Irsay and Polian were  responsible for not putting a more complete team around him. As Manning proved in Denver, even when he wasn’t at his best at the end, he could win with a more complete team. 

 

Fast forward to Luck. It had crossed my mind how the pressure from calling for multiple super bowl wins, or questioning some injury issues , may have played in Luck’s retirement. We don’t know, but I’m wondering how a guy that looked like he really loved football would retire, and not just take a year off. 

 

I enjoyed watching Luck, and feel bad for Colt fans. I really think with Luck, the Super Bowl was not out of the question. With Ballard, the Colts have a great foundation. They may have a good QB, or will have to go on a search. Time will tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Iron Colt said:

How dare he question any aspect of Luck's retirement! 

 

Right, Luck fanboys?

So let me ask you......do you really think Andrew just sprung this on the team within the last few weeks? Beurlein is a straight up fool if he believes that.

 

I just refuse to believe that until I see some hard evidence.

 

I think Luck has been discussing this with the team for awhile, possible as long ago as during the rehab for his shoulder........and the team semi talked him out of it, and then he doubled down on it sometime during this entire process. I think it's fairly obvious that this has been an ongoing battle with him.

 

Irsays strange comments about it "being in his head" makes much more sense now. At the time, it sounded out of place, and quite harsh. But not anymore. Irsays jumbled thoughts at the presser also struck me as being strange. Nobody sounded surprised really. Remember how horrible he looked physically at the tail end of his rehab? How skinny he was? He was clearly not taking care of himself, which is a sign of depression/addiction. He didnt look good at his presser either. Do you think Irsay would let him keep the SB money if he really just quit 2 weeks before the season? I dont. Both of his injuries have been surrounded in double speak and oddities, almost like they were covering something up for him 

 

Andrew Luck is not that type of person and nothing else he has done in college or the pros suggests he is.

 

I think those first 3 years were much tougher on him than anybody realized....and I think he developed an addiction to painkillers along the way, which combined with all the rehab and isolation of being away from the team, has pushed him into a deep depression, which he has struggled with since. 

 

My concern lies with Andrew Luck, the person. The Colts will be ok. The fans will be ok. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Lots of players push through multiple injuries.   I just don't think he loved the game enough to do that.   I have no problem with that,   but he isn't the first to have injuries in the NFL

 

I still really think you’re a robot. You look at every situation and come up with the most square, generic response automatically without thinking any of the variables through. 

 

Lots of players push through multiple injuries...with the help of competent doctors. And don’t have to go to Europe after they got the help of incompetent doctors. Those that do (because some have) don’t let the same doctors who messed them up before do it again when they have to tell an ankle from a calf. I mean who is really on blow here? Irsay or the doctors? 

 

If Luck didn’t love the game he wouldn’t have played for Jim Harbaugh at a school that had high expectations minus the benefits that schools like USC and Alabama have. If you ask a life long Luck fan what his best player ever was,  some of them would actually say it was the hit he put on that DE to save a touchdown in college. So it’s not like he was some fragile diva football player either. Record setting comebacks in the pros, dragging crap teams to the playoffs after bad starts then getting trashed for not beating the Pats like that’s something the Colts have been so good at etc. I don’t know how anybody with a brain can judge Luck here. They can be mad all the want sure. I’m not exactly happy about it myself but not because I’m Andrew Luck’s gatekeeper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

 

I still really think you’re a robot. You look at every situation and come up with the most square, generic response automatically without thinking any of the variables through. 

 

Lots of players push through multiple injuries...with the help of competent doctors. And don’t have to go to Europe after they got the help of incompetent doctors. Those that do (because some have) don’t let the same doctors who messed them up before do it again when they have to tell an ankle from a calf. I mean who is really on blow here? Irsay or the doctors? 

 

If Luck didn’t love the game he wouldn’t have played for Jim Harbaugh at a school that had high expectations minus the benefits that schools like USC and Alabama have. If you ask a life long Luck fan what his best player ever was,  some of them would actually say it was the hit he put on that DE to save a touchdown in college. So it’s not like he was some fragile diva football player either. Record setting comebacks in the pros, dragging crap teams to the playoffs after bad starts then getting trashed for not beating the Pats like that’s something the Colts have been so good at etc. I don’t know how anybody with a brain can judge Luck here. They can be mad all the want sure. I’m not exactly happy about it myself but not because I’m Andrew Luck’s gatekeeper.

I don't care what you think.   You had your starting qb last year and had a losing record.   I would focus on the bears and Vikings. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we all realize playing football is just a job right? Just because there are fans out there that think players own them something doesn’t make it right. I for one would never stay at a job that I hated. Especially if I was financially secure. I myself left a career field I wasn’t passionate about at the age of 28. I have now found my joy within my career but It took my until I was 31 to realize that. Life is to short to waste time doing things you hate especially if it is done for others. This decision is way bigger than football and I respect that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Anyone is entitled to their emotional reactions within reason, but they are not entitled to be respected for them. 

Not to play devil’s advocate, but... can’t the same be said about Luck?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

Not to play devil’s advocate, but... can’t the same be said about Luck?

No, because he earned the benefit of the doubt and is obviously struggling with something.

 

Anonymous people on a message board havent done squat.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't care what you think.   You had your starting qb last year and had a losing record.   I would focus on the bears and Vikings. 

 

I guess that’s why you responded to me to start with trying to shoot down what I said. I guess that’s also why you’re whooshing on to something different after your shot got destroyed :flag:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

No, because he earned the benefit of the doubt and is obviously struggling with something.

 

Anonymous people on a message board havent done squat.

So fans “haven’t done squat” and do not have the right to be angry because we haven’t played football... and we aren’t struggling with anything because we weren’t on the field... to clarify, athletes can get our praises for free, but we have to “earn” the right to criticize.  Got it, thanks for clearing up that one-sidedness for me. :thmup:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HOZER said:

im-pretty-tired-ithinkill-gohomenow-luca

Dude....that was funny. And, perhaps not as far from the truth as it might seem. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say the same thing every time someone quits. If it’s the best thing for you, then do it. You gotta take care of yourself first. No organization can do that for you. 

 

However, if you quit without proper notice (ironically 2 weeks in my books), I still say that (and mean it) but I can’t say you did it the right way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

So fans “haven’t done squat” and do not have the right to be angry because we haven’t played football... and we aren’t struggling with anything because we weren’t on the field... to clarify, athletes can get our praises for free, but we have to “earn” the right to criticize.  Got it, thanks for clearing up that one-sidedness for me. :thmup:

I didnt say any of that, I'm talking about the people ON HERE taking shots at Andrew Luck.

 

But to be clear, buying a ticket is nowhere near putting on a helmet and going to battle with JJ Watt....and if you think it is, you're delusional.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would open a Twitter account just to applaud Torrey Smith:

 

20190826_233259.thumb.jpg.740fbe428d2e914f6041800b4257d602.jpg

 

Link (if someone knows how to embed Twitter posts here, please post. Thanks.)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...