Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We're gonna be alright.

Luck retiring sucks. Bad. Really bad. I was an emotional wreck yesterday. I'm trying to use this as an opportunity to get excited about the future. We still have Ballard and Reich. We will be in position next season to grab either Tua, Herbert, or Fromm and have them on a rookie deal for 4-5 years. With the cap room we save with Andrew leaving on top of that savings, we are really sitting pretty. We invest that $ into other areas, preferably DT or LT, and draft Herbert next year, then take a Ceedee Lamb with the Redskins pick, then we're right back in the mix again. We still have an amazing TEAM that Chris Ballard has built here, and the guy is imo the best in the business at what he does, so why wouldn't he figure this out? We have a great, talented, young defense, probably the best oline in the league, we have great skill players on offense. There is a great nucleus in place, with the addition of a cheap stud QB, and another WR for the eventual departure of TY, we are good to go guys. It's a sad couple days in Colts Country, but we're gonna persevere. 

• Like 4

Just now, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Luck retiring sucks. Bad. Really bad. I was an emotional wreck yesterday. I'm trying to use this as an opportunity to get excited about the future. We still have Ballard and Reich. We will be in position next season to grab either Tua, Herbert, or Fromm and have them on a rookie deal for 4-5 years. With the cap room we save with Andrew leaving on top of that savings, we are really sitting pretty. We invest that $ into other areas, preferably DT or LT, and draft Herbert next year, then take a Ceedee Lamb with the Redskins pick, then we're right back in the mix again. We still have an amazing TEAM that Chris Ballard has built here, and the guy is imo the best in the business at what he does, so why wouldn't he figure this out? We have a great, talented, young defense, probably the best oline in the league, we have great skill players on offense. There is a great nucleus in place, with the addition of a cheap stud QB, and another WR for the eventual departure of TY, we are good to go guys. It's a sad couple days in Colts Country, but we're gonna persevere. 

I expect Brissett  to have a big Ben type improvement  in stats. Just need Leonard  and the defense  to play at an elite level and the rbs to step up

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

We need to find replacement for some of these backup linemen cause they are terrible.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I expect Brissett  to have a big Ben type improvement  in stats. Just need Leonard  and the defense  to play at an elite level and the rbs to step up

We need mack to prove he can hold up to about 20-25 touches a game if he can do that we don't need to draft a RB next years draft if not then we do.

I also hope to see him play every game.

• Like 1

I will say this about Kelly.  I like him a lot.

One, he is fast as hell. 

Two, when he decided to fire the ball?  It is out in a millisecond.  Much quicker release and a better arm than Luck has now.

Who knows, maybe Luck retiring will be the best thing that could ever happen to the Colts.  If he doesn't?  Kelly gets cut or put on the practice squad and picked up by another team.

You never know. 

What I do know is Kelly to me LOOKS the part.  Much more so than Jacoby.

• Like 3

Something else to remember. In our six losses last year we had the ball down 27-23 to the Bengals and Doyle catches the ball and fumbles. At the Eagles we down on the 6 and couldn't score and lost(side note the Colt defense had 3 defensive penalties on the Eagle game winning drive in the 4th qtr, or we may have won that game anyways). The Jet game was very puzzling, we should have schooled them by 3 tds the Jets suck. We had close games in Oakland(Leonard clinched that one with a ff). Miamii, Luck pulled that one out, Giants, Luck pulled that one out. Over 1/2 of the games last year came down to last possession, you either score and win or stop them and win. Can Brissett duplicate Lucks game winning abilities? He couldn't in 2017. This season falls on the defense whether it is Brissett or Kelly under center.

5 minutes ago, threeflight said:

One, he is fast as hell. 

Two, when he decided to fire the ball?  It is out in a millisecond.  Much quicker release and a better arm than Luck has now.

Who knows, maybe Luck retiring will be the best thing that could ever happen to the Colts.  If he doesn't?  Kelly gets cut or put on the practice squad and picked up by another team.

You never know. 

It doesn't really matter, imo. Whoever plays this year, barring a monumental trade, is just a 1-year stop-gap. The answer will, and should, be taken in the 1st round of next years draft. It's a great QB class, and Justin Herbert would've been the most talented QB had he came out THIS year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

It doesn't really matter, imo. Whoever plays this year, barring a monumental trade, is just a 1-year stop-gap. The answer will, and should, be taken in the 1st round of next years draft. It's a great QB class, and Justin Herbert would've been the most talented QB had he came out THIS year. 

I disagree.  If Brissett  plays and goes 13-3. I doubt we draft another qb high. Now if we go 0-16 then yea

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Something else to remember. In our six losses last year we had the ball down 27-23 to the Bengals and Doyle catches the ball and fumbles. At the Eagles we down on the 6 and couldn't score and lost(side note the Colt defense had 3 defensive penalties on the Eagle game winning drive in the 4th qtr, or we may have won that game anyways). The Jet game was very puzzling, we should have schooled them by 3 tds the Jets suck. We had close games in Oakland(Leonard clinched that one with a ff). Miamii, Luck pulled that one out, Giants, Luck pulled that one out. Over 1/2 of the games last year came down to last possession, you either score and win or stop them and win. Can Brissett duplicate Lucks game winning abilities? He couldn't in 2017. This season falls on the defense whether it is Brissett or Kelly under center.

He defiantly has more weapons to score in those situations then in 2017.

• Like 1

I appreciate the positivity and I still love the Colts and hope and root for the best. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, we are not alright. We just lost a top 5 talent. We went from Super Bowl contender to almost certainly missing the playoffs and now we are in the position having to find the future at QB. At best that takes a couple of years. At worst, our good fortune of going from one super star to another runs out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColtsSouljah said:

I appreciate the positivity and I still love the Colts and hope and root for the best. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, we are not alright. We just lost a top 5 talent. We went from Super Bowl contender to almost certainly missing the playoffs and now we are in the position having to find the future at QB. At best that takes a couple of years. At worst, our good fortune of going from one super star to another runs out.

So the rest of the 52 guys suck. How did the eagles still manage to win the SB. Foles isn’t a top QB. He had talent around him and coaches that put him in position to succeed. It’s way to early to right this season off when you have guys like Leonard, Houston, marlon Mack and tons of offensive weapons.

• Like 3

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

So the rest of the 52 guys suck. How did the eagles still manage to win the SB. Foles isn’t a top QB. He had talent around him and coaches that put him in position to succeed. It’s way to early to right this season off when you have guys like Leonard, Houston, marlon Mack and tons of offensive weapons.

Look, I hope you are right! We DO have a ton of talent. However, the situation is far from "alight" and if it turns out well that will be surprising. Going from contender to "I hope we can contend" is the best case scenario. That's a massive downgrade.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, threeflight said:

One, he is fast as hell. 

You never know. 

Yea but kelly can't  start unless Brissett  sucks so hopefully  Brissett  doesn't  suck

This is a great thread to read. He has posted tons of throws by JB. Most are from 20/7. The dude can play. 

2 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

I have high hopes for Jacoby this year. He’s has more weapons, a real line, and 2 years of learning this offense compared to 1 week

Plus he has taken all the reps since the spring.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Shouldn't we reserve judgement until we see what happens? I don't think Brissett is a 1-year stop-gap.  If he is then we make a move, but lets give the guy a chance.  He was pretty good in 2017 with no time to prepare and a crappy o-line.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ColtsSouljah said:

Welcome to the world of at least 50% of NFL fans. Some of us have not had a franchise QB play 5+ years in over 25 years. 

Luck retiring is a huge loss but the Colts will be okay. After several years of Grigson damaging the team, they have a GM who is building the team the right way. Ballard will find the right QB. In the meantime, enjoy the season. May the Colts win the AFC this year. :colts:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Welcome to the world of at least 50% of NFL fans. Some of us have not had a franchise QB play 5+ years in over 25 years. 

Luck retiring is a huge loss but the Colts will be okay. After several years of Grigson damaging the team, they have a GM who is building the team the right way. Ballard will find the right QB. In the meantime, enjoy the season. May the Colts win the AFC this year. :colts:

This is so true. I know its been posted before, but alot of us fans forget how good we’ve really had it since the the late 90’s. I started following the Colts towards the end of Harbaugh and have been spoiled since. Before that so many people on here and in Colts nation suffered through what many teams still deal with, the QB carousel, or poor QB play, for quite some time. I really think our current GM won’t let that happen, I will have faith in him until he gives me a reason not to.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ColtsSouljah said:

The 'future' QB is already here.  

From an outsider’s point of view, I would also be bummed out by the Luck retirement. I’m not sure Brissett is the answer, but we will find out, as he is surrounded by a pretty good team. 

On the positive side, you have a great GM and coach. You have a good salary cap situation, and have built up a lot of draft picks.  This will allow you to move up if a good QB comes up in the draft, or you have to get one in free agency. 

The hardest thing for you guys, is you’ve had the luxury of having franchise quarterbacks , Manning and Luck, while many teams , except New England and a few others  , are generally searching for a competent quarterback.

In Baltimore, we know that problem all too well. We somehow won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer, and an amazing defense. However, many great Ravens teams in the 2000’s were not Super Bowl champions because of the QB situation. Joe Flacco did a nice job and got us another Super Bowl, but he was proven not to be elite. 

Lamar Jackson has a ton of potential , but who knows where he will pan out. 

Bottom line, you lost a great QB, but things are far from being in shambles. The disappointments lies in that you have the current foundation in place, that with Luck, could have won a Super Bowl this year. The future was stacked with extra draft picks and a good salary cap situation. This still exists. Now you have to see if Brissett works out, and if he doesn’t, Ballard seems to be the kind of GM to get a good QB in. Just be glad you’re not an Orioles fan right now !!!

• Like 2

I believe JB will perform well with an improved team around him, especially the OL.  Given more time in the pocket, he should improve, too.

To me, the one guy we cannot lose to injury now is Castanzo.  We have no LT back-up from what I've seen in the preseason.  Clark was consistently beaten against the Bears.

Gotta keep AC healthy, and that will also help JB do his thing this year.

We have a MUCH better team than we had two years ago when JB was traded here, had to learn the system and go out there week one at a disadvantage.

He knows this system, apparently has great leadership skills and has lots of weapons on offense.  I'm just fine giving him the reigns and letting this season play out, and then we can look to next year and the QB position.

• Like 2

Kelly looked poised in the pocket. With the exception of the overthrown pass to Cain, he was pretty accurate and had some wheels. A couple of plays, he held the ball a little too long but all-all, a nice performance. I just kept thinking; we’ve GOT to hold on to Kelly!

After watching the first half of the Bears game again I feel the same way. Sure, his competition was lesser players but the Oline looked pretty bad.

If JB plays well, great. If not, Kelly may be good enough to get us through the year and to the playoffs.

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I totally get your first point. I don't get your second. The Colts went from Super Bowl contenders to... whatever we are now. We MIGHT be fine in a couple of years (IF we can find the QB of the future), but sure aren't fine right now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jcwcoltsfan said:

Shouldn't we reserve judgement until we see what happens? I don't think Brissett is a 1-year stop-gap.  If he is then we make a move, but lets give the guy a chance.  He was pretty good in 2017 with no time to prepare and a crappy o-line.

I made this post about everything being okay lol, I'm not "rushing to judgment". The facts are that winning the SB was gonna be very difficult WITH Andrew at QB, and they're virtually impossible with Jacoby at QB. We'll see how good he is Week 1 against that Chargers pass rush, and trust me I'd love to be wrong. Hell, I hope he ends up the next Kurt Warner and is HOF worthy, because I'm a Colts fan and wanna win EVERY SB, EVERY year. The more realistic outcome is that Jacoby is middle of the pack, at best, and we take a quarterback in next years draft, because it's a great class to do so. That's the optimism, that we have a glaring need at a time when it's more readily available to fill. If we had this need coming into this year, we may have Haskins or Lock at QB, and as a guy that scouts players, you don't want that lol. You want Herbert, Tua, or Fromm. 

7 hours ago, ColtsSouljah said:

I totally get your first point. I don't get your second. The Colts went from Super Bowl contenders to... whatever we are now. We MIGHT be fine in a couple of years (IF we can find the QB of the future), but sure aren't fine right now.

"A couple of years" will be here before you know it. Your division has lots of question marks. There is no reason the Colts can't win. 

• Like 1