Indianapolis Colts
Scott Pennock

With The Next Pick: Jordan Love - QB - Utah State

Then draft a stud WR in the 2nd Round to pair with him, unless we extend Funchess of course. Otherwise go back to fortifying the defense!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Lets hope that Briskett inproves and becomes a top 15 QB

And we can use the first pick on OL or DL

Now the high praises sent JB's way from coach Reich and company will be tested or proven.

• Like 1

I like Jordan Love as a prospect tbh. Seeing how he ends up playing this year is going to be key for if they'll prefer him over others. I read an article earlier saying Chris Ballard was high on him.

he doesn't do well under pressure... has a higher ceiling than Brissett, but his completion rate drops alot and he makes turn overs...

On 8/25/2019 at 11:35 AM, Scott Pennock said:

Yawn

At a minimum, draft a developmental QB somewhere. Which smart GMs do about every other year. 

See how the draft falls, don’t force anything and select BPA. 

Utilize FA to fill any critical areas not covered in draft. 

The draft looks extremely deep with QB, WR and CB. Not much else at the moment. 

With Funchess on a one year deal and Hilton approaching 30, I could see potentially a WR in Rd #1.  

14 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yawn

You can yawn if you like, however, Ballard scouted him personally last year and sent several scouts to watch him (and some LSU players as well) a week or two ago.

So they are obviously doing their due diligence on him. I would not be surprised if he is drafted as a developmental QB and sits behind Brissett.

What about Chad Kelly, the swag? :) 

If he is on the roster, we don't need another QB given that Hoyer is signed for another 2 years. :peek:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

You can yawn if you like, however, Ballard scouted him personally last year and sent several scouts to watch him (and some LSU players as well) a week or two ago.

So they are obviously doing their due diligence on him. I would not be surprised if he is drafted as a developmental QB and sits behind Brissett.

I am not yawning bout Love.  I am just yawning with the continual focus on the qb position .  We had Luck and Manning for 20 years.....one super bowl.  I want us to focus on the interior D line with our early picks.  I truly beleive that Brissett would absolutely have to  s...t the bed in order for the Colts to go early on a qb.  They seem to love him and r going to give him every chance to succeed. Honestly,  I feel they r quite happy winning the way they did the other night.  They r building old school and becoming less dependant on the qb.  Look at the qb salaries.  I truly beleive that if they continued to build this team in this manner and if Brissett had marginal success,  he would do like a Brady type contract.  

On 8/29/2019 at 6:31 PM, Kenzicocapontas said:

I like Jordan Love as a prospect tbh. Seeing how he ends up playing this year is going to be key for if they'll prefer him over others. I read an article earlier saying Chris Ballard was high on him.

Not in the first he was horrible last game I saw him 3 picks is horrible you lose by a lot if you throw three picks in a pro game most of the time.

You're digging up a post from before the season started to make a point on, bud. But yes, I agree hes going to be falling out of the first with how skittish hes gotten under pressure.

On 8/27/2019 at 7:14 PM, MikeCurtis said:

Lets hope we land Kinclaw with 13 then draft a QB round 2 to compete with Kelly for starting spot while jacoby excercises his leadership from the sideline.

On 10/10/2019 at 10:20 AM, Scott Pennock said:

U have no idea how much interest the  Colts have in Love based on scouts at a game or games. We have no idea who else they may have been looking at those games.  Scouts r at numerous games. People want Love because they think he is Mahommes part 2.  However if u asked most fans on this forum, they would not be able to give an accurate scouting report on Love and neither could I.People just like him because he is the flavour of the month.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:30 AM, Dokken said:

At a minimum, draft a developmental QB somewhere. Which smart GMs do about every other year. 

How many of those day 2-3 developmental QBs work out? Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott, Kirk Cousins, and the jury is still out on Misnew. Not including Brady because that’s the biggest anomaly in NFL history and you probably won’t see that again.

Those guys are all anomaly’s. The standard is Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg, Kyle Lauleta, C.J. Bethard, Connor Cook, Matt McGloin, Logan Thomas, Cardale Jones, Ryan Mallet, Greg McElroy, Joshua Dobbs, Mason Rudolph, Brett Hundley, Cody Kessler, etc... The point being that those guys vastly outnumber the number of later round QBs in recent years who became stars. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

There have been a lot of first round QBs picked that have been horrible the past 10 years as well though. I just trust that whatever QB is taken and whichever round 1-3, that at least a "team" is being built for the long haul for that particular QB and that that QB will get a pretty good coach/QB whisperer to groom him.

On 10/11/2019 at 5:12 AM, jameszeigler834 said:

Not in the first he was horrible last game I saw him 3 picks is horrible you lose by a lot if you throw three picks in a pro game most of the time.

On 8/29/2019 at 4:31 PM, Kenzicocapontas said:

What article?  There is so much crap out there on the internet, one cannot take anything seriously.

No idea if this is smokescreen of some sort by teams, but I just listened to a podcast with Mark Schofield who was at the Senior Bowl and he said they asked 25 scouts and execs whether they prefer Love or Herbert and he said 23 of them said Love. To me this is somewhat shocking. I personally prefer Love too but it being this skewed is weird to me. 

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

How many of those day 2-3 developmental QBs work out? Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott, Kirk Cousins, and the jury is still out on Misnew. Not including Brady because that’s the biggest anomaly in NFL history and you probably won’t see that again.

Those guys are all anomaly’s. The standard is Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg, Kyle Lauleta, C.J. Bethard, Connor Cook, Matt McGloin, Logan Thomas, Cardale Jones, Ryan Mallet, Greg McElroy, Joshua Dobbs, Mason Rudolph, Brett Hundley, Cody Kessler, etc... The point being that those guys vastly outnumber the number of later round QBs in recent years who became stars. 

That's fair and accurate data, 26.....and I get that we're not in a good place at QB.... but my problem is this....

Either in free agency or in the draft....we need to address the weakness we have at the DT position. 

This is a LOT like the decades-long revolving door we had at OG before Ballard selected Nelson. Our identity all those years at both the interior O-line and D-line was characterized as "soft". 

Seriously.... is there a more degrading image to have as an NFL team?

And all the while.... for 20 years.... we had Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck who all too often were spectators on the sidelines because our defense couldn't get them the ball back.

I'm far from an expert at Xs and Os.... and the finer points of scouting QBs.... but none of these 2020 QB prospects are said to have the Football IQ and field generalship of Manning or Luck. With the possible exception of Joe Burrow.... it appears they're all to one degree or another being pumped well ahead of their true draft day value. But only time will bear that out.

Either way we have had a deficiency at DT.... key to a great Front 7.... that's been exploited for far too long, and even with two QBs of the highest pedigree and plenty of offense.... only netted 1 Super Bowl.

I prefer Brown or Kinlaw with the #13 pick.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

That's fair and accurate data, 26.....and I get that we're not in a good place at QB.... but my problem is this....

Either in free agency or in the draft....we need to address the weakness we have at the DT position. 

This is a LOT like the decades-long revolving door we had at OG before Ballard selected Nelson. Our identity all those years at both the interior O-line and D-line was characterized as "soft". 

Seriously.... is there a more degrading image to have as an NFL team?

And all the while.... for 20 years.... we had Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck who all too often were spectators on the sidelines because our defense couldn't get them the ball back.

I'm far from an expert at Xs and Os.... and the finer points of scouting QBs.... but none of these 2020 QB prospects are said to have the Football IQ and field generalship of Manning or Luck. With the possible exception of Joe Burrow.... it appears they're all to one degree or another being pumped well ahead of their true draft day value. But only time will bear that out.

Either way we have had a deficiency at DT.... key to a great Front 7.... that's been exploited for far too long, and even with two QBs of the highest pedigree and plenty of offense.... only netted 1 Super Bowl.

I prefer Brown or Kinlaw with the #13 pick.

This is my problem with this pick as well.  It's NOT that I don't think we need a QB, we DO.  My problem is I don't see any of the QB's not named Joe Burrow as 1st round worthy.  People say you pick a QB anyway because it's a huge need.  I say poppycock!  Peeshaw!  You pick a player you need in the round they SHOULD be picked in.  You don't elevate a QB just because he's a QB.  If Joe Burrow isn't there at 13, there isn't another QB I would take that high in this draft.  So I'm with you, I'd LOVE to get Brown, and I'd be pretty happy to get Kinlaw at 15.  DT is ALSO a huge need on this team and one of those two would be TRUE draft value at 13.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Drew Brees, Jimmy Grarappolo (sp??)

But on the flip side how many early first round QBs especially the ones that Rise up draft boards during the off season, don't work out

Couch, Tebow, Trubisky, Russell, RGIII, Leaf, Winston, Mariota, Bortles, Manzell, Bridgewater, Manuel, Quinn, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Bradford, Sanchez, Freeman, Young, Leinart, Cutler.

This list is long.

So, look at the list above, the1st round QBs that became busts and never panned out in the NFL vastly outnumber the 1st round QBs who became stars.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 7:14 PM, MikeCurtis said:

What I think is absolutely the funniest thing about this forum is that so many people around here call him Briskett, Biscuit, and some other funny words that Brissett could sound like in conversation if you fumbled over your words.  I understand it could be autocorrect, but still...  Then when he got worse as the season wnet on, the name calling got worse, lol.

My dad never like Brissett and when he really did something dumb, he'd call him Briskett/Biscuit/etc.  So much so, that even my wife would sometimes mistakenly call him biscuit or something.  It made me laugh alot so when I see it here, it's all the more funny to me. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Drew Brees, Jimmy Grarappolo (sp??)

But on the flip side how many early first round QBs especially the ones that Rise up draft boards during the off season, don't work out

Couch, Tebow, Trubisky, Russell, RGIII, Leaf, Winston, Mariota, Bortles, Manzell, Bridgewater, Manuel, Quinn, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Bradford, Sanchez, Freeman, Young, Leinart, Cutler.

This list is long.

So, look at the list above, the1st round QBs that became busts and never panned out in the NFL vastly outnumber the 1st round QBs who became stars.

You missed the point. The point is that there are way more 1st (2nd round sometimes) round QBs who are successful than there are developmental guys taken in rounds 3-7. Mahomes, Lamar, Rivers, Big Ben, Rodgers, Wentz, Goff, Watson, Tannehill, Stafford, Ryan, and Cam. Jury is still out on guys like Darnold, Mayfield, Murray, Jones, Allen, and Haskins too. Trubisky looks like the only real bust right now. And Bridgewater isn’t a bust. He was just injured for too long and the Vikings moved on. He was playing good before his injury. 

So generally speaking you have a better chance of finding a franchise QB in the 1st round than you do of finding one in rounds 3-7 as a “developmental pick”. 

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You missed the point. The point is that there are way more 1st (2nd round sometimes) round QBs who are successful than there are developmental guys taken in rounds 3-7. Mahomes, Lamar, Rivers, Big Ben, Rodgers, Wentz, Goff, Watson, Tannehill, Stafford, Ryan, and Cam. Jury is still out on guys like Darnold, Mayfield, Murray, Jones, Allen, and Haskins too. Trubisky looks like the only real bust right now. And Bridgewater isn’t a bust. He was just injured for too long and the Vikings moved on. He was playing good before his injury. 

So generally speaking you have a better chance of finding a franchise QB in the 1st round than you do of finding one in rounds 3-7 as a “developmental pick”. 

I didn't miss the point, it's just not a valid point.  There are way more QBs taken in the first round that are not successful than 1st round QBs that are successful.  And if the FO does a good job of analyzing what they need from a QB and finding the QB that fits that then successful QBs can be found in any round.

Also your list of successful is somewhat questionable with Goff, Wentz and Tannehill on the list.  Goff did not look good this year, Went is up and down and you can't consider guys like Tannehill and Bridgewater successful draft picks because they no longer play for the team that drafted them.

14 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I didn't miss the point, it's just not a valid point.  There are way more QBs taken in the first round that are not successful than 1st round QBs that are successful.  And if the FO does a good job of analyzing what they need from a QB and finding the QB that fits that then successful QBs can be found in any round.

Also your list of successful is somewhat questionable with Goff, Wentz and Tannehill on the list.  Goff did not look good this year, Went is up and down and you can't consider guys like Tannehill and Bridgewater successful draft picks because they no longer play for the team that drafted them.

Yes there are plenty of 1st round QB busts. Unfortunately drafting QBs outside the first is even more of a crap shoot, and that’s what I’m getting at. It’s more risky thinking you can draft developmental guys later and turn them into franchise QBs. There’s not enough data that shows that it’s better to wait.

47 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yes there are plenty of 1st round QB busts. Unfortunately drafting QBs outside the first is even more of a crap shoot, and that’s what I’m getting at. It’s more risky thinking you can draft developmental guys later and turn them into franchise QBs. There’s not enough data that shows that it’s better to wait.

But there is enough data to show that reaching for a QB because of need is worse.

And also to add to the list of developmental Qbs being successful, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Steve Young, Brett Favre, Trent Green

18 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U have no idea how much interest the  Colts have in Love based on scouts at a game or games. We have no idea who else they may have been looking at those games.  Scouts r at numerous games. People want Love because they think he is Mahommes part 2.  However if u asked most fans on this forum, they would not be able to give an accurate scouting report on Love and neither could I.People just like him because he is the flavour of the month.

I posted this right after Lucks retirement before anyone else made him the "flavor the month"..... I also never compared him to Mahomes either. 

Just gets back to your "yawn" comment.....you don't like him, that's fine. Move on from the thread then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

But there is enough data to show that reaching for a QB because of need is worse.

And also to add to the list of developmental Qbs being successful, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Steve Young, Brett Favre, Trent Green

Really depends on what you define as reaching. The Chiefs traded up 17 spots to get Mahomes. Could be considered a reach. We’ll never really know how much a team really liked someone and what the rest of the league thought of them. Sometimes you have to reach. Even when a team does find a  Dak in the 4th round, how often does a franchise have that type of luck?

The Cowboys are the only team to really have that type of Luck twice recently with Romo and then Dak. Drafting QBs outside of the 1st 2 rounds isn’t a viable strategy for drafting franchise QB’s. It’s a fine strategy for trying to draft backup QB’s. But generally speaking when a team has an immediate need at QB they will address it with a 1st round pick. Whether or not it works is another story, but even in failure the answer will not be to play it safe going forward.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Really depends on what you define as reaching. The Chiefs traded up 17 spots to get Mahomes. Could be considered a reach. We’ll never really know how much a team really liked someone and what the rest of the league thought of them. Sometimes you have to reach. Even when a team does find a  Dak in the 4th round, how often does a franchise have that type of luck?

Someone posted an article about the Chiefs drafting Mahomes the other day.  It was quite a process.  1st, the GM had been sending clips to Reid for a couple of years.  Then the GM convinced Mahomes' agent that KC is the best place for him and convinced the agent to keep them in the loop on other teams that were interested in Mahomes.  So when draft day came they had a very good idea that NO was a very strong possibility to draft Mahomes at #11 and the Cardinals were seriously considering him @ #13. So they knew they had to get in front of NO to draft him.  So they concetrated on trying to make a trade with someone that Reid had a history with.  NO, also confirmed the interest by telling the Chiefs, they would have drafted Mahomes at 11 if the Chiefs hadn't drafted him. 

And yes a lot of the draft pundits considered it a bad thing that the Chiefs traded up to take him.  I've seen draft grades giving them a C or even a D for making that move. So to the outside world it appeared they reached for Mahomes but with that inside information they didn't reach at all, they took him one spot ahead of where he would have been drafted.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Cowboys are the only team to really have that type of Luck twice recently with Romo and then Dak. Drafting QBs outside of the 1st 2 rounds isn’t a viable strategy for drafting franchise QB’s. It’s a fine strategy for trying to draft backup QB’s. But generally speaking when a team has an immediate need at QB they will address it with a 1st round pick. Whether or not it works is another story, but even in failure the answer will not be to play it safe going forward.

That is the point I'm trying to make... there is no strategy for drafting a QB other than constant work and making the decision.  So let's say the Colts think Love is the guy, if all their information is telling them that no team before #20 is thinking about drafting him then it makes no sense to move up to get him.  Or, if it's saying that no team is looking at him as a 1st round QB, then it makes no sense to draft him at #13.  It would be better to wait until their 2nd round pick or least try to trade up to the end of round 1, like the Ravens did with Jackson.

13 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Someone posted an article about the Chiefs drafting Mahomes the other day.  It was quite a process.  1st, the GM had been sending clips to Reid for a couple of years.  Then the GM convinced Mahomes' agent that KC is the best place for him and convinced the agent to keep them in the loop on other teams that were interested in Mahomes.  So when draft day came they had a very good idea that NO was a very strong possibility to draft Mahomes at #11 and the Cardinals were seriously considering him @ #13. So they knew they had to get in front of NO to draft him.  So they concetrated on trying to make a trade with someone that Reid had a history with.  NO, also confirmed the interest by telling the Chiefs, they would have drafted Mahomes at 11 if the Chiefs hadn't drafted him. 

And yes a lot of the draft pundits considered it a bad thing that the Chiefs traded up to take him.  I've seen draft grades giving them a C or even a D for making that move. So to the outside world it appeared they reached for Mahomes but with that inside information they didn't reach at all, they took him one spot ahead of where he would have been drafted.

That is the point I'm trying to make... there is no strategy for drafting a QB other than constant work and making the decision.  So let's say the Colts think Love is the guy, if all their information is telling them that no team before #20 is thinking about drafting him then it makes no sense to move up to get him.  Or, if it's saying that no team is looking at him as a 1st round QB, then it makes no sense to draft him at #13.  It would be better to wait until their 2nd round pick or least try to trade up to the end of round 1, like the Ravens did with Jackson.

There is no one strategy but there is one that had a better chance of yielding positive results. Get your QB early.

34 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

There is no one strategy but there is one that had a better chance of yielding positive results. Get your QB early.

The top two passers in NFL history were a 2nd round pick and a 6th round pick.

If the idea was to throw the spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks then yes, picking a QB in the 1st round until you got it correct is the better strategy but since that is not the way to pick a QB.  It's better for the FO to do their homework, pick they QB they like the best before that QB is drafted by someone else and then hope and pray they their due diligence is proven correct.

I am listening to a stampede blue podcast and they think Carolina could be a trade up partner if colts are nervous or have info that Love could be on someone else’s radar to move up. Would only have to give up the 44 pick.  If Love falls to us at 13 we can also try and move back up for Kinlaw.

42 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am listening to a stampede blue podcast and they think Carolina could be a trade up partner if colts are nervous or have info that Love could be on someone else’s radar to move up. Would only have to give up the 44 pick.  If Love falls to us at 13 we can also try and move back up for Kinlaw.

There you have it.  Another observation that we might not need to trade up very far.  I don't think Carolina is taking a QB at all.  Their coach likes Grier.  

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

There you have it.  Another observation that we might not need to trade up very far.  I don't think Carolina is taking a QB at all.  Their coach likes Grier.  

Plus they are rebuilding and could use more picks. Give them a year to sort through the 3 QB they have and see if cam is healthy.

I am sure ballard will have all kinds of inside info on QB when the draft starts and where they might go.

Also saw that the saints said they can’t keep Bridgewater, Hill. and Brees. I could see Teddy being a target for the chargers in FA if that happens. So much can happen before the draft.

There was a lot of stuff in that Mahomes story that was interesting and could apply to the colts drafting a QB. KC never attended any of his pro day or workouts. The agent sent him videos. They kept everything really quiet. The agent can be a great source to a team if they feel that a certain team might be the best for a QB.  Giving a certain team info letting them know who is interested.

It makes me wonder if Reich and Dodd’s would of been so front and center watching Love and Herbert at practice if that was the direction they wanted to go. I guess with Luck retiring there probably isn’t a big secret that they might be looking at the quarterbacks. With KC they seemed to already have one so teams were probably thinking they wouldn’t take one.

Will Ballard be able to convince a agent the colts are best for his client and give him inside info. We will see.