Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bert Jones not Luck

luvdacolts67

I think you have a misunderstanding of mental limitations if you think  your mental state  has anything to do with heart!

If someone is mentally unable to do something, it's the same thing as being physically unable to do it they simply can't do it! Mental limitation will shut anybody down just as fast as a broken leg or back! 

• Like 1

I used to post under the name Talk is Cheap Let’s Play which was a famous Unitas quote. My hero. A retired Unitas also once suggested a kid become a pro golfer and not a QB so you don’t get hit all the time. Bert May have felt differently. Lol.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, MPStack said:

Bert was one of my favorite Colts, but I’m not naive enough to believe he was better than Luck. 

Also, QBs are asked to do so much more than years back, especially seeing it’s a pass first league for almost 25 years give or take a couple years. 

What on earth do you mean? "QB's are asked to do so much more than years back." With this, can't touch the QB and the same with all the nit-pickey PI calls, Bert would have torn this league apart. He was the greatest thrower I've ever seen. I have to believe he would have loved playing in this, pass happy, don't touch me or my recievers, NFL.

• Like 2

When Andrew Luck's name is mentioned, the first thought that will always come to my mind is how he quit on his team and it's fans.  Being the franchise player comes with many great rewards (high salary, endorsement opportunities, and fame), but also with much responsibility.  Guys like Jones honored that.  Today we see elite players like JJ Watt get injured, but they rehab and get back to work.  Luck quit.  period.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Turftoe said:

When Andrew Luck's name is mentioned, the first thought that will always come to my mind is how he quit on his team and it's fans.  Being the franchise player comes with many great rewards (high salary, endorsement opportunities, and fame), but also with much responsibility.  Guys like Jones honored that.  Today we see elite players like JJ Watt get injured, but they rehab and get back to work.  Luck quit.  period.

Luck played with screwed up shoulder and pain for 2 years for your enjoyment and entertainment. In that period he also played with lacerated kidney... and beat the eventual champion Denver Broncos with that lacerated kidney, partially torn abdominal muscle, torn cartilage in his ribs, a concussion and numerous other minor injuries. Then he went through a surgery and almost 2 years rehab to return and play one more great season for you. Then he got injured again and the injury that was supposed to be minor just wouldn't go away and seemed to get worse the more he was trying to come back. 

For the life of me I cannot understand people who call players like Luck 'quitters'. PERIOD! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 8/25/2019 at 11:45 AM, luvdacolts67 said:

But there is a difference in the two.   Burt Jones had the heart of a champion and gave it all he had physically and mentally .   When Andrew luck says he can’t take it mentally anymore I have a problem with that because it shows me where his heart is and that he does not have the heart of a champion.    

It also shows you don't know about, care about, or believe in (all of the different types of) mental illness issues. Luck was in a 'really dark place' with his shoulder and even had to escape the USA to recover- physically and mentally.  That is a place he would not allow himself to revisit. And apparently, this latest rehab injury might have been leading him to that.  So I guess Brandon Brooks (anxiety attacks) and Brandon Marshall and the like don't have the heart of champions-

It’s what Peyton Manning had when he came back from next surgery it’s what Roberto Derann had when he came back after No Mas.    It’s what Rocky Bleier had after he got shot in Vietnam.   These guys were champion and Andrew luck just doesn’t have it .  

No, he's come back from multiple injuries over the years.  It's just the constant injury/rehab has been affecting his being a person, not just being a football player.  He has it, but at what cost? He saw the $ tag once before, and possibly decided it was a price that maybe Andrew decided was too high to pay. (Wife and new born daughter, etc...)

To me, it seems your definition of Champion is one that eschews himself and his loved ones solely for the sake of team.  You can have it, I don't subscribe to it.  I was in healthcare industry for over 40 years. To me, physical and mental well being trumps anything else first.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2017/08/30/michael-phelps-brandon-marshall-mental-health-battles-royce-white-jerry-west/596857001/

As a Colts fan for over half of a century I am glad he’s not a quarterback anymore it’s time to find a guy who has the heart to win a Super Bowl .

I'm just glad he's doing what is in the best interest of him and his family.  If that is retirement from a game pushing him to mental illness, I'm all for it.

On 8/25/2019 at 5:51 PM, jimmy g said:

I believe it actually IS/WAS Andrew's life.  Last night's presser sounded like he was suicidal and walking away as an intervention. I wish Andrew nothing but the best, and a pain free life. Hes a Class Act, and an Elite QB.

Speculation, but may (or not) be the truth. Something 'there' was there... though.

On 8/25/2019 at 5:51 PM, jimmy g said:

Side Note: by the way- the Team Doctor, that cant figure out Andrew's injury- misdiagnosed my Daughter's knee 20 years ago.  Maybe just coincidence, but, not -in my opinion....

A.L. has had doctors outside of the team to address his issues.  Shoulder surgery was done by top flight surgeon he knew from Stanford as one example. We do not know his diagnosis and who all performed tests, second opinions, etc.  But he has and uses the best in the business. Because the public does not know, does not mean the physicians don't. They won't/can't tell.

He won't tell, and possibly instructed everyone in the know to be vague.

• Like 1

Bert (not Burt, Birt, or Burnt) was an amazing QB.  Won MVP and really lit up the league in a time when it was much harder to pass.  He was a warrior and great QB who had his career cut short by injuries.

I think it is unfair to classify Andrew Luck as anything less.  So many people say he quit on the Colts 2 weeks before the season opener.  But he clearly wasn't going to be playing anytime soon so what difference did it make?  If he went on IR would he be more of a warrior?  Its not like he was suiting up Week 1.  He also played with some major injuries.  I think he just got tired of hurting and having to answer questions that he had no answers to.

I would say Jones and Luck were about even as QBs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2019 at 9:16 AM, luvdacolts67 said:

I read this form all the time but have not written anything in many years .   Today I find myself compelled to do so.   I have seen that several fans have written that Andrew luck is Burt Jones 2.   I wish to stand up for Burt Jones.   He was an incredible quarterback for the Colts.   He had the heart of a champion he just played for a very very bad cold cream throughout his career which was shortened because of injuryS.   He gave his heart and his physical body every time he got on the field for the Colts he did not ever ever once quit because he couldn’t take it mentally.   He retired because he physically couldn’t play the game anymore.   He gave his all.   This is not what Andrew luck did.   He quit a team two weeks before the season starts yes he has an injury but he said he mentally couldn’t take it that tells me he has no heart of a champion that is the big difference between him and Bert Jones.   Burt Jones was a champion at heart that’s the kind of quarterback I want on this team not someone who can’t mentally take it.

I think it is just so ridiculous to compare Jones to Luck.  I never saw Jones play but I have read that he was super talented and tough. Bellechik ,  I believe raved bout him. That being said.  Players back then played mostly in the moment.  Football was all they had to feed their families.  It was either football or get a job with limited pay. Now u put Jones in today's game and give him millions, an engineering degree and numerous injuries. None of us could predict what direction his life would take, because now he has more options besides football.  Not a lot of players even in today's games had the options Luck had. He is a super bright guy, architect degree, millionaire, aspiring to be a great dad and a father who  himself  had been pounded through out his own NFL career. Totally different circumstances.

• Like 4

All things considered.  Pre-injuries to both Jones and Luck.  I would take Bert Jones without hesitation.  I still remember the Bert Jones to Roger Carr combination.  Even though we had RB Lydell Mitchell, I've wondered how we would have done against Super Bowl Champion Steelers if we pass on our #1 pick (3rd pick overall) OG Ken Huff, who did not start for a couple years. OG Elmer Collett started in front of him.  Anyway, if we RB Walter Payton, #4 or LB Robert Brazile, #6 to play at our weak spot MLB where journeyman Jim Cheyunski started and was too slow to keep up with Steelers RB Franco Harris who gained 150+ on us.

Back to Luck, he is no slouch as far as ability, but his  quitting, or rather retiring just be the season started, leaving the Colts hanging, will always be a negative IMO.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 11:16 AM, luvdacolts67 said:

I read this form all the time but have not written anything in many years .   Today I find myself compelled to do so.   I have seen that several fans have written that Andrew luck is Burt Jones 2.   I wish to stand up for Burt Jones.   He was an incredible quarterback for the Colts.   He had the heart of a champion he just played for a very very bad cold cream throughout his career which was shortened because of injuryS.   He gave his heart and his physical body every time he got on the field for the Colts he did not ever ever once quit because he couldn’t take it mentally.   He retired because he physically couldn’t play the game anymore.   He gave his all.   This is not what Andrew luck did.   He quit a team two weeks before the season starts yes he has an injury but he said he mentally couldn’t take it that tells me he has no heart of a champion that is the big difference between him and Bert Jones.   Burt Jones was a champion at heart that’s the kind of quarterback I want on this team not someone who can’t mentally take it.

you're speaking the absolute truth

On 8/25/2019 at 11:58 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nothing against Bert, he was a great talent in his own right. Luck always had to deal with the Pats as well. Luck had no running game from 2012-2014. I agree though, comparing era's is tough.

Bert Jones was a better pure passer. there was nothing wrong with his accuracy. To Me he was better than Manning. Back then, 15 to 20 td passes was a great year. Today's rules make defensive backs mind there manners. Unless of course your playing New England, they hold on every play and get caught 30% of the time. Bert Jones today would easily hit the 30 td mark pretty consistantly.

17 hours ago, P'Son said:

Burt Jones rocked!!  Kids today don't know who he was.

It's like that with every generation. Every generation thinks they had the best players. I started watching sports in the late 70's so I do remember Bert but I was real young. Out of all the decades I have actually watched sports = 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's, and this last decade 2010-2019, I think the 80's had the best overall players and teams, JMO. I seriously doubt any team today could beat the 1989 49ers with Montana and Rice or beat the 1985 Chicago Bears. The Dallas teams in the early 90's were scary as well.

In basketball i still haven't seen a team better than the 1987 Lakers who had Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Scott, Green, Thompson, Cooper, etc.. They were so far ahead of their time. The Warriors are the closest team I have seen recently that I can say ok maybe the Lakers would've lost to them. The 80's Lakers were better than the 90's Bulls as well but Jordan is the GOAT.

Back to Football, Bert was a great talent but I see nothing wrong with someone thinking Andrew was a tad better. That is not like it is a dis, Andrew was a great talent as well.

loved both of these guys. Bert was fun to watch. He had a cannon for an arm. Watching him throw balls to Carr and Chester was a thing of beauty.  Absolutely enjoyed Luck. The guy made an average team play well.  His rookie season was a joy to watch particularly the shoot out with KC in playoffs. Last season Luck really put this team on his back and made them a winner. Statistically, Luck has the better stats but that is a product of  the game changing. Also Luck got to play most of his games indoor. Bert had the swirling winds of Old Memorial stadium  to contend with.  Both were leaders and champions. It is unfortunate that injuries cut down both their careers. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 4:13 PM, indyagent17 said:

you're speaking the absolute truth

Actually what he was speaking it his opinion.  The idea of "heart of a champion" is subjective at best.

I feel like Luck has the heart of a champion because it was very hard to leave football and his team, but for him to be the champion for his family he needed to leave football.

Seriously, having the heart of a champion means allowing you body to be destroyed to play a game that way too many people are irrationally invested in (you know - the term fanatic).?  It's not like they were soldiers fighting a battle and Luck abandoned his soldiers on the battle field.  They are playing a game!

You folks need to lighten up.  Until you are in his shoes (and none of you will since you won't be a franchise QB for an NFL team) your judgment of him is pretty childish.  But this is just my opinion.  I'm sure in the big scheme of things Luck's life will be just fine without your approval.

• Thanks 2

On 12/31/2019 at 6:02 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously?     You must be new.

I think it was a lame post.    Full of falsehoods and opinion,  but like many posts around here,  almost totally devoid of facts.

This is an on-going debate here.      Opinion over facts.

I have a difference of opinion with the poster.     Too hard for you to understand?

My whole statement about the heart of a champion was my opinion that was the just of it can you really not understand that?  I don’t care what opinion you have , to respond to my post the way you did was pretty lame and tells me you probably need to get out of your parents basement.  And btw,   I’ve been watching the Colts for over 50 years.   That doesn’t make me an expert but to say I must be new is pretty dumb.  

9 minutes ago, luvdacolts67 said:

My whole statement about the heart of a champion was my opinion that was the just of it can you really not understand that?  I don’t care what opinion you have , to respond to my post the way you did was pretty lame and tells me you probably need to get out of your parents basement.  And btw,   I’ve been watching the Colts for over 50 years.   That doesn’t make me an expert but to say I must be new is pretty dumb.  

I meant new to the website.

As for me being in my parents basement...   I’ll be 63 at the end of the month.  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I meant new to the website.

As for me being in my parents basement...   I’ll be 63 at the end of the month.  

Goodness NCF, by 63 it's definitely past time for you to move out of their basement.