Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bert Jones not Luck

luvdacolts67

On 8/25/2019 at 11:36 AM, The Old Crow said:

Bert was a great quarterback . 1976 league MVP and offensive player of the year. It was a very good career, and he did give it his all. I think most of the comparisons between Luck and Jones are due to unfortunate injuries, and a shortened career that could have held so much more promise. 

Its also hard when you are following the careers of Unitas and Manning. A very tall order indeed. 

Well stated!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Coltsfan66 said:

Bert Jones is a completely different story, imho.  I watched both players careers.

Both played, running for their lives. Both carried their teams farther than deserved. Both careers were cut short by injuries. I see them both the same.

• Like 2

I was 7 years old and had the Jones #7 jersey as a kid. Was my hero. Like many, lived through that... watching him retire early and then the bad teams. The Elway fiasco.  Then the "move".  Still stuck with the Colts. As adults, can understand some of Lucks reasons. Hate it most for the young Colts fans, prolly have Luck jerseys, was their hero. Some might have been at the game. And they won't get the chance to at least see him retire and ride off in the sunset under better circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Both played, running for their lives. Both carried their teams farther than deserved. Both careers were cut short by injuries. I see them both the same.

Bert was traded, that is my reason Sir.  His injuries were continued as a Ram.  Though the aforementioned is agreed upon.

3 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

I was 7 years old and had the Jones #7 jersey as a kid. Was my hero. Like many, lived through that... watching him retire early and then the bad teams. The Elway fiasco.  Then the "move".  Still stuck with the Colts. As adults, can understand some of Lucks reasons. Hate it most for the young Colts fans, prolly have Luck jerseys, was their hero. Some might have been at the game. And they won't get the chance to at least see him retire and ride off in the sunset under better circumstances.

I had the home and aways.

On 8/25/2019 at 11:45 AM, luvdacolts67 said:

But there is a difference in the two.   Burt Jones had the heart of a champion and gave it all he had physically and mentally .   When Andrew luck says he can’t take it mentally anymore I have a problem with that because it shows me where his heart is and that he does not have the heart of a champion.    It’s what Peyton Manning had when he came back from next surgery it’s what Roberto Derann had when he came back after No Mas.    It’s what Rocky Bleier had after he got shot in Vietnam.   These guys were champion and Andrew luck just doesn’t have it .   As a Colts fan for over half of a century I am glad he’s not a quarterback anymore it’s time to find a guy who has the heart to win a Super Bowl .

You're operating on an unfounded presumption that Luck was able, and unwilling, to lead the Colts this year.  The man has played through some pretty nasty injuries over his tenure, I think honestly he's earned the benefit of the doubt to say he doesn't think he has what it takes anymore

Don't take the Colts' radio silence and pretending everything was fine for them not realizing that something was pretty seriously wrong with their starting QB.  They knew.  The only reason this came as a shock to us is because the Colts FO chose to sit on the information.

Luck tried to cotisone his way through at least one season that we know of.  He's played through hits that had him peeing blood.  He's fought and played through pain before.  We know he's capable of doing this, and so does he.  So he deserves the benefit of the doubt that when he says, I'm done, I don't have the ability to do this anymore, no one on this forum who hasn't served in the military has any basis to criticize him

Speaking of military service, even the Army has come aroundin recent decades on the importance of mental fitness.  Psychological fatigue is a real thing, and no one needs to be called a wimp if they hit their limit.  And no one needs to hold athletes to a standard of sacrifice we wouldn't hold soldiers to.

Just.... be careful for calling a guy who spent the last 5 years getting trucked by 320 pound defensive ends weak or feckless because he hangs it up before you're ready for him to have done so.  

• Thanks 3

21 hours ago, King Colt said:

Jones went from football to being a hunting & fishing guide in Louisiana and had his ow TV show.

Tuff life eh?

And he owned a successful lumber company, putting his business degree to work, if I recall correctly.

The thing that bothers me about Luck’s situation, and I had said this in a pre-retirement Luck thread ...

I said that that if there is nothing structurally wrong and that playing with the pain would not cause any actual damage, then he sucks it up and plays starting week one.  So for me, if the above held, no structural damage and no fear of playing causing any other damage to the area with pain, then it is extremely disappointing that he wouldn’t suck it up and play with pain.  I especially feel this way, given the timing.  If all that held, I would’ve respected it a LOT more if he sucked it up, played the season with his owie, then contemplated the retirement thing in the early offseason next winter.  In this regard, I respect Bert a lot more.  He was a warrior!

Now to be fair, admittedly I have no idea what the real prognosis was.  Maybe there actually IS some sort of structural issue and maybe if he tried to play through it, it WOULD make matters worse, physically.   If that’s the case, then I guess kudos to him for not just going on IR and taking another year’s worth of salary.  If this is the case, then Luck is the man.

I still have trouble, though, with him having come out having said he was contemplating walking away for the previous 10 days to 2 weeks.  As some prognosticator had said in criticism, this is the biggest most difficult decision of your life and you only mull it over for 10 days to 2 weeks?  That’s weak.

This is why I am so torn, though, over his astoundingly abrupt retirement.  We have no actual disclosure about what his current “calf” situation is really all about.  Are there actual physical structural issues or is it just a pain thing?  I hiked 19 km the other day near Banff.  Next day, my feet hurt and were blistered.  When my wife wanted to hike more the next day, and the next, and the next after that.  I sucked up the pain and did what I have to do.   I hiked in pain.

Obviously, I am not drawing a direct comparison, but it’s a valid relative analogy.

I just wish we knew what the medical reality is, whether it was a pain threshold issue (in which case you suck it up and play the year because of the horrific timing), or a structural mechanical issue, in which case, okay, the timing sucks, but I can respect the tough decision and the solid he did for the team in retiring rather than going on IR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

Obviously, I am not drawing a direct comparison, but it’s a valid relative analogy.

No, it's not. Unless you were running for your life and being thrown down by 320 lbs strongmen, several times every 15 minutes, onto previous arthritic joints. And all the while having flashbacks of punctured lungs and lacerated kidneys.

• Like 1

Sometimes giant decisions don’t need to be mulled over. When it’s time it’s time and the person making it just knows. I know I’ve been there.

Also, since the punctured lung and lacerated kidney cane up (wasn’t there also busted ribs for several weeks) and his “hot wife” came up in another thread...imagine not being able to...you know lol! Guy just wants to be able to do his wife every now and then maybe lol! This sounds vulgar and sleezy yes but it’s yet another true part of this situation that everybody here doesn’t realize as they judge him for perhaps wanting to do something else at 10pm at night besides pee blood.

6 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Except for the fact that you never heard Burt Jones say he mentally couldn’t take it  so he decided to retire.

9 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Sometimes giant decisions don’t need to be mulled over. When it’s time it’s time and the person making it just knows. I know I’ve been there.

Also, since the punctured lung and lacerated kidney cane up (wasn’t there also busted ribs for several weeks) and his “hot wife” came up in another thread...imagine not being able to...you know lol! Guy just wants to be able to do his wife every now and then maybe lol! This sounds vulgar and sleezy yes but it’s yet another true part of this situation that everybody here doesn’t realize as they judge him for perhaps wanting to do something else at 10pm at night besides pee blood.

What's vulgar and sleezy about making love to your wife? That's downright healthy. it's what you're supposed to do with those bits and those instincts.

And I'm sure you're right, that sort of thing is part of the quality of life equation Luck had to weigh when thinking his situation over.

On 8/25/2019 at 2:28 PM, CanuckColt said:

Even Joe Namath once called Bert Jones "the best in the business".

I don't recall anyone credible calling Andrew the best in the league.

Bill Belichick called Jones the best pure passer he’s ever seen (he was an assistant on those teams).

As far as Luck not having the “heart of a champion”, I don’t know if it’s fair to draw that conclusion. 

I really don’t think Luck is done. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him come back. I’m not holding my breath but stranger things have happened. 

There was a lot of talk about the Luck retirement in Baltimore. Most supported Luck as it’s always hard to gauge injuries when it isn’t yours. Also, take a look at the Le’ Ron McClain story, a former fullback for the Ravens. The poor guy has his brain scrambled , and his pleading for help. I understand the anger and frustration from many Indy fans, but if the guy can’t take any more of the pounding to his body, it’s better to retire than what happened to McClain, and others. I do think a better explanation of the timing is in order from the organization, and Luck. 

As a huge Baltimore Colts fan, I’m a big fan of Bert Jones. I’ve never had the chance to meet him , but he was a great QB, and tough as nails in his own right. I did meet Johnny U. I can guarantee you he died before his time by playing so long in the NFL. They didn’t come any tougher than Johnny. His hands were so arthritic in the end, they would almost crumble when you shook his hand.  Can you imagine the hits Unitas and Jones took before there was any sort of protections for quarterbacks ? 

We’ve seen examples like Reggie Lewis of the Celtics who kept playing with a heart condition , despite doctor’s warnings, and died. When this happens , all the how tough is he talks disappears , and people say, why did he, or the organization, let him keep practicing, or playing. 

I think its fair fair game to criticize the timing, or at least get an explanation. It’s fair game about the money against the salary cap. But I believe that if Luck believes his long term health is in danger, you have to respect that. We are not in his body. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 4 months later...
On 8/25/2019 at 11:16 AM, luvdacolts67 said:

He had the heart of a champion he just played for a very very bad colts teams throughout his career which was shortened because of injury.

Sorry but that is really not true. ( At least the very ,very bad team part , the heart of a champion who's career was cut short by injury part is ) As a 8-10 year old Baltimore Colts fan in 1975-77 I can assure you that the Colts were anything but a very ,very bad football team. In fact they were one of the best teams in football. They combined to go 31-11 those three years.

I can still remember jumping up and down in the snow in 75 when the Colts beat the Dolphins , then the patriots the last two games to win the division and knock out the dolphins. ( Colts started 1-4 then won their final 9 games with a high flying offense led by Bert's great play ) 

In 75 they were beating the steel curtain steelers 10-9 at the start of the 4th qt in the divisional and lost primarily because Bert got hurt early in the game , then came back late and was in the red zone and threw a INT to Steelers linebacker Andy Russell and Russell returned it all the way for a td. In 76 ( Bert's all-time GREAT MVP season ) the Steelers completely blasted the Colts in the old Memorial stadium 41-14 ( The term home field advantage was coined because of Memorial stadium ) The most memorable thing about that game was that some * flew a small airplane into the upper deck of the stadium shortly after the game had ended. https://ghostsofbaltimore.org/2013/11/11/plane-crashes-into-memorial-stadium/

1977 WAS THE YEAR the Colts had their best chance to go to the Superbowl. The Colts lost an incredible divisional double overtime game to the Raiders 37-31. That was the Raiders " Ghost to the post " game. The Colts were up 31-24 late in the 4th quarter (2:25)  and Stabler connected with Tight end  Dave Casper for  42 yard (impossible ) catch that led to the Raiders tying the game in the final minute of regulation. The worst part was yet to come. Bert Jones missed a wide open Raymond Chester for a game winning TD in overtime. The links below give great overview of that incredible game and GREAT Colts team with such players as Lydell Mitchell ( a all world running back/ marshal faulk type back ) Roger Carr ( fastest receiver in the league and a Defensive front line known as the sack pack. ) The only truly horrible teams that Bert was primarily on the field for was his 1st 2nd seasons (73/74) and his last season with the Colts (81).

The two most painful sports memories I have as a kid was that 77 game against the Raiders and the 79 world series that The Baltimore Orioles lost to the Pittsburgh Pirates after being up 3-1 and having the final two games at memorial stadium.   All the opposing teams always complained about what a dump the stadium was , but it was the Colts dump and the place could really get a rockin. In fact my mom took me to see my first Colt game in 79 against the hated Don Shula Dolphins as a make up for her going to the 79 O's series on a date for game 2.

Those Colts teams played the reigning Superbowl champs 3 straight years and could have easily won 2 of those games. Those Colts teams are one of the truly great forgotten teams of NFL history.

"Third-and-8 and this would be the play the Colts would kick themselves over for the next 40 years.

Jones dropped back and had time. He lofted a pass down the left sideline towards Chester. The Colts tight end had cleared the Oakland defenders by 10 yards and had nothing but painted dirt between himself and a game-winning touchdown.

But Jones’ pass sailed over Chester’s head."

The two most painful sports memories I have as a kid was that 77 game against the Raiders and the 79 world series that The Baltimore Orioles lost to the Pittsburgh Pirates after being up 3-1 and having the final two games at memorial stadium.   All the opposing teams always complained about what a dump the stadium was , but it was the Colts dump and the place could really get a rockin. In fact my mom took me to see my first Colt game in 79 against the hated Don Shula Dolphins as a make up for her going to the 79 O's series on a date for game 2. THANK YOU for letting me go down memory lane. 

https://russellstreetreport.com/2017/12/20/guest-blog/ghost-to-the-post-still-haunts-colts/

https://russellstreetreport.com/2017/12/21/guest-blog/ghost-post-part-2/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I still have a great graphic black and white of Jones rolling out to pass from when I was a kid. I remember watching a rebroadcast of a game that Dan Fouts was doing and they jokingly put up a poster of great early 80's QB's that Dan was in and Fouts specifically reacted to the mention of Bert's picture on the poster. " Bert Jones , now there was a great QB "

"Luck had a record of 53-33. Bert Jones was 47-49 in his career." Bert was 2-11 his first two years with the Colts and 2-13, his last year with the Colts ( Truly awful team that would go 2-23 in 81 &82, Bert was traded in 82 to the Rams and went 1-3 and retired ) Bert went 5-27 his first two and last two years +6-9 in year 8. But his record was 36-13 years 3-7. If he had not blown out his shoulder and played a full career he would have been a first ballet hall of famer. If you look at his career comparisons on pro football reference for years 3-9 you will see First ballot HOFers or future 1st ballot HOFers named Montana , Brees , Staubach, Rodgers, Fouts , Favre,  Aikman, and Bradshaw  + HOFers Warner/Stabler/Namath and league MVP's like McNair, Vick , Theism and Esiason. Not too shabby a group indeed.

On 8/25/2019 at 11:16 AM, luvdacolts67 said:

I read this form all the time but have not written anything in many years .   Today I find myself compelled to do so.   I have seen that several fans have written that Andrew luck is Burt Jones 2.   I wish to stand up for Burt Jones.   He was an incredible quarterback for the Colts.   He had the heart of a champion he just played for a very very bad cold cream throughout his career which was shortened because of injuryS.   He gave his heart and his physical body every time he got on the field for the Colts he did not ever ever once quit because he couldn’t take it mentally.   He retired because he physically couldn’t play the game anymore.   He gave his all.   This is not what Andrew luck did.   He quit a team two weeks before the season starts yes he has an injury but he said he mentally couldn’t take it that tells me he has no heart of a champion that is the big difference between him and Bert Jones.   Burt Jones was a champion at heart that’s the kind of quarterback I want on this team not someone who can’t mentally take it.

He was my idol growing up.

Half the Colts stuff i wore had the #7 on it.

In school, whenever we did silkscreening or other art Projects, mine usually involved the Colts or Jones.

Then came high school, and my Calligraphy art Project involved the lyrics to Black Sabbath’s   Sweet Leaf.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bmorecolts said:

"Luck had a record of 53-33. Bert Jones was 47-49 in his career." Bert was 2-11 his first two years with the Colts and 2-13, his last year with the Colts ( Truly awful team that would go 2-23 in 81 &82, Bert was traded in 82 to the Rams and went 1-3 and retired ) Bert went 5-27 his first two and last two years +6-9 in year 8. But his record was 36-13 years 3-7. If he had not blown out his shoulder and played a full career he would have been a first ballet hall of famer. If you look at his career comparisons on pro football reference for years 3-9 you will see First ballot HOFers or future 1st ballot HOFers named Montana , Brees , Staubach, Rodgers, Fouts , Favre,  Aikman, and Bradshaw  + HOFers Warner/Stabler/Namath and league MVP's like McNair, Vick , Theism and Esiason. Not too shabby a group indeed.

If they played the games on concrete, Jones would Have had to change shoes every quarter.  He’d wear out the soles with all the running around for his life in the backfield.

Just a shame of unrealized potential due to injuries.  

On 8/25/2019 at 8:16 AM, luvdacolts67 said:

I read this form all the time but have not written anything in many years .   Today I find myself compelled to do so.   I have seen that several fans have written that Andrew luck is Burt Jones 2.   I wish to stand up for Burt Jones.   He was an incredible quarterback for the Colts.   He had the heart of a champion he just played for a very very bad cold cream throughout his career which was shortened because of injuryS.   He gave his heart and his physical body every time he got on the field for the Colts he did not ever ever once quit because he couldn’t take it mentally.   He retired because he physically couldn’t play the game anymore.   He gave his all.   This is not what Andrew luck did.   He quit a team two weeks before the season starts yes he has an injury but he said he mentally couldn’t take it that tells me he has no heart of a champion that is the big difference between him and Bert Jones.   Burt Jones was a champion at heart that’s the kind of quarterback I want on this team not someone who can’t mentally take it.

Oh, Dear God......         :facepalm:

On 8/28/2019 at 6:10 AM, Imgrandojji said:

Yes, because mental health issues were not well understood when he played.

nice to see how far we haven't come.

I know this is months late but I had to respond .   You are not understanding my posts I think you should re-read them.   I talked about the heart of a champion.   As an example Roberto Duran after the no mas fight which in my opinion he lost because he had to lose so much weight and he was absolutely in no shape to fight Leonard as quickly as that fight happened.    Duran came back because he had the mentality of a world champion took out David Moore pretty easily and went toe to toe with one of the greatest middleweights of all time and darn near won the fight.   I might add in his career he beat the pants off of Leonard  and held the light weight championship of the world for seven years.  It’s because he has the mental fortitude that it takes to be the champion of the world.   Peyton Manning coming back from a terrible injury he had the heart of a world champion and that’s what it takes.   Andrew luck admitted that he wasn’t mentally capable of playing period.   He has that right and I understand that.   Last year when he played against the Chiefs in the playoffs he looked terrible and I started to questions that heart at that point.    I’m not trying to put down Andrew luck he certainly has the talent to be a world champion but he is has admitted he doesn’t have the mentality to do it.   I want a Roberto Derann or a Peyton Manning leading  my team.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bmorecolts said:

It has been a long time ago, but i do remember him being a great QB.

1 hour ago, luvdacolts67 said:

Too hard for you to understand?

Seriously?     You must be new.

I think it was a lame post.    Full of falsehoods and opinion,  but like many posts around here,  almost totally devoid of facts.

This is an on-going debate here.      Opinion over facts.

I have a difference of opinion with the poster.     Too hard for you to understand?

To be honest, the only thing they have in common is retiring early due to injuries. 

Two different QBs from wildly different eras. 

I love Bert Jones. I was born in ‘88 so I’ve only seen videos of him, but I always enjoy watching his throwing motion. 

I love Andrew Luck. I hate what happened but I enjoyed the ride while he was here. 

3 hours ago, luvdacolts67 said:

I know this is months late but I had to respond .   You are not understanding my posts I think you should re-read them.   I talked about the heart of a champion.   As an example Roberto Duran after the no mas fight which in my opinion he lost because he had to lose so much weight and he was absolutely in no shape to fight Leonard as quickly as that fight happened.    Duran came back because he had the mentality of a world champion took out David Moore pretty easily and went toe to toe with one of the greatest middleweights of all time and darn near won the fight.   I might add in his career he beat the pants off of Leonard  and held the light weight championship of the world for seven years.  It’s because he has the mental fortitude that it takes to be the champion of the world.   Peyton Manning coming back from a terrible injury he had the heart of a world champion and that’s what it takes.   Andrew luck admitted that he wasn’t mentally capable of playing period.   He has that right and I understand that.   Last year when he played against the Chiefs in the playoffs he looked terrible and I started to questions that heart at that point.    I’m not trying to put down Andrew luck he certainly has the talent to be a world champion but he is has admitted he doesn’t have the mentality to do it.   I want a Roberto Derann or a Peyton Manning leading  my team.

I started watching sports in the late 70's so I vaguely remember watching Bert live. I didn't become a Colts fan until 1984 because I lived in Indianapolis as a 13 year old, have always lived here. They have shown the game you are talking about on the NFL Channel classics. The 1977 playoff game, so I know what you are talking about. I have seen old games and video of Bert, nothing against Bert but IMO Andrew Luck was the better QB, I will stand by that. His overall record was a lot better and he played with average talent around him pretty much his whole career. With exception of last year, his O.Line was always bad, in Luck's 1st 3 years he had 1 game where a RB rushed over 100 yards. That is poor. Luck threw for a higher % than Bert did in his career and he was more mobile/faster. 

When it comes to Roberto Duran, I watched both fights between he and Sugar Ray Leonard. You said he beat the pants off of Leonard which is completely false. He won a close decision that went 15 rounds, it could've went either way in reality. The 2nd fight, Leonard made him look like a clown. TKO in the 8th round, he made Duran quit. Duran wasn't near the boxer that Sugar Ray was. 

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really don't either because it is tough to do and I feel like a Butthead because it looks like I am dissing Bert lmao , Bert was very good in his day.

Bert was one of my favorite Colts, but I’m not naive enough to believe he was better than Luck. 

Also, QBs are asked to do so much more than years back, especially seeing it’s a pass first league for almost 25 years give or take a couple years. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Bert was one of my favorite Colts, but I’m not naive enough to believe he was better than Luck. 

Also, QBs are asked to do so much more than years back, especially seeing it’s a pass first league for almost 25 years give or take a couple years. 

Yeah in reality Colts fans have been blessed with awesome QB's from Unitas to Bert to Peyton to Luck. Morrall was good but that SB 3 looked so bad. Harbaugh was good for us too in 1995 and 1996. Who will be the next great one? I will just take good at this point. JB never reached the good level consistently this year IMO. He was average to above average for a chunk of the season, but bad at times too though. Will we draft the next guy (Love, Eason) or try and trade for Carr or snag Rivers?

4 hours ago, luvdacolts67 said:

Well you're doing a helleva good job of doing it. Understand some people may have enough common sense and talent to not give up their well being for our entertainment. He had the hell beat out of him from 2012 to 2018 and decided there is more to life than football. You say he doesn't have the mental capacity, I say he had  the mental capacity to want to live a more normal life with his new wife and child. 

• Like 1