Indianapolis Colts
Knuckles79

Why Boo [Merge]

I can’t help but wonder if the people who booed Andrew — and/or continue to give him grief here or elsewhere — would’ve done much the same thing on May 2, 1939....

....that was the day that Lou Gehrig informed Yankee skipper Joe McCarthy that, for the good of the team, he was benching himself due to a then unidentified physical ailment that was making it difficult for him to play at the level he had for 2,130 consecutive games prior to that.

I’m sure there were some Yankee fans who felt a range of negative emotions towards Gehrig.  But nobody, including him, knew at that moment that he would only live for two more years.

Yes, I realize the situations are very different.  My point is not to compare Andrew’s health situation to Gehrig’s.  My point is that we’re not entitled to having our sports heroes perform for us.

Sometimes, no matter how badly they may want to, they simply cannot.  And the truth is that we probably don’t know the whole story about Luck’s health status.  This clearly isn’t a calf strain.

33 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I can’t help but wonder if the people who booed Andrew — and/or continue to give him grief here or elsewhere — would’ve done much the same thing on May 2, 1939....

....that was the day that Lou Gehrig informed Yankee skipper Joe McCarthy that, for the good of the team, he was benching himself due to a then unidentified physical ailment that was making it difficult for him to play at the level he had for 2,130 consecutive games prior to that.

I’m sure there were some Yankee fans who felt a range of negative emotions towards Gehrig.  But nobody, including him, knew at that moment that he would only live for two more years.

Yes, I realize the situations are very different.  My point is not to compare Andrew’s health situation to Gehrig’s.  My point is that we’re not entitled to having our sports heroes perform for us.

Sometimes, no matter how badly they may want to, they simply cannot.  And the truth is that we probably don’t know the whole story about Luck’s health status.  This clearly isn’t a calf strain.

Luck has dealt with injuries obviously.  Every NFL player has and always will. Sacrificing their health for the game they love is no secret. Luck obviously is no exception.  Football is a game for warriors and gladiators. Like Irsay said previously Lucks problem was a mental one between his ears... his current injury is not career threatening from what we know. He lost his love of the game. I for one don't believe he ever had the love of the game, as much as greats like peyton, Favre, brady, or countless others.  To me he is a quitter and I will take all the heat that comes my way over this comment.  He quit on the team, fans, organization and himself. I will not act as if he deserves any kind of praise or that what he did took courage as some here have proclaimed. 

• Like 3

All I know is when I read Jerry Jones statement, I got uncomfortable. I really wonder if this is a 1yr thing and then his rights get traded or something. Like if him and his father soured on the org. 

16 minutes ago, life long said:

Luck has dealt with injuries obviously.  Every NFL player has and always will. Sacrificing their health for the game they love is no secret. Luck obviously is no exception.  Football is a game for warriors and gladiators. Like Irsay said previously Lucks problem was a mental one between his ears... his current injury is not career threatening from what we know. He lost his love of the game. I for one don't believe he ever had the love of the game, as much as greats like peyton, Favre, brady, or countless others.  To me he is a quitter and I will take all the heat that comes my way over this comment.  He quit on the team, fans, organization and himself. I will not act as if he deserves any kind of praise or that what he did took courage as some here have proclaimed. 

This.

Especially to quit 2 weeks before the season starts?  It isn't like he is laid up with an ACL. He was just shown on film running around completely fine.

I really find that inexcusable.  Especially since he was already paid this season.

10 minutes ago, GusFring said:

All I know is when I read Jerry Jones statement, I got uncomfortable. I really wonder if this is a 1yr thing and then his rights get traded or something. Like if him and his father soured on the org. 

What did JJ say?

11 minutes ago, GusFring said:

That's some tin foil stuff, but it wouldn't shock me lol.. 

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

This.

Especially to quit 2 weeks before the season starts?  It isn't like he is laid up with an ACL. He was just shown on film running around completely fine.

I really find that inexcusable.  Especially since he was already paid this season.

What did JJ say?

I do not think it was mainly physical. Maybe a small part of it was, like 20%. He has been banged up a lot. You were right saying it was more mental IMO which I think was 80% of it. I just think he doesn't want it anymore. Sad but true. Something that I thought a 29 yr old entering his prime with finally a good team would not happen. Nobody knows how someone else feels but IMO he just doesn't love the game like the Peyton's or Brady's, with those guys football is their life. He now has a wife and kid, plenty of money, and most look at him as still a great QB. Him leaving was like Barry Sanders leaving but Barry was never injured. This is how stunning this is to me. 

16 hours ago, crazyrob said:

Give people a break. They paid hard earned money to watch luck this season. He keeps his millions but those people are out thousands.  When the time comes, fans will honor him but emotions were too raw for that tonight. 

Oh please. If those people wanted millions maybe they should become pro athletes? Oh right, it's not as easy as your post would make it seem. And give me a break, them paying doesn't guarantee or entitle them anything BUT a spot in the stadium to watch a game. You aren't guaranteed a win or even a good game. Any of these players can go out at any second in a game.

They can get over it and if you are barely getting by you shouldn't be paying thousands to watch live sports. I am sure those people will be fine. They weren't waking up in pain for the past 4 yrs after getting crushed by 250-320lbs pound athletes because your mess of an owner took way too long to fire a terrible coach and a bum GM.

I'd be ok with this franchise going back into irrelevance. Some franchises would not have only killed for Luck but probably treat him much better.

51 minutes ago, GusFring said:

Colts won’t trade him. 

3 minutes ago, life long said:

. He is not retiring over injury. 

No he's not retiring over a single injury. He's retiring due to repeated injuries and from being in constant pain all the time. Self preservation and family should always come before a freaking GAME. 

we're not talking about someone in the military going AWOL leaving his platoon to fight a life or death war without him. We're talking about a guy who was more concerned with his family, his personal health and his future quality of life than he was a game that's played for entertainment. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, threeflight said:

This.

What did JJ say?

ECyQhKQXkAEvBTT?format=jpg&name=900x900

9 minutes ago, J@son said:

No he's not retiring over a single injury. He's retiring due to repeated injuries and from being in constant pain all the time. Self preservation and family should always come before a freaking GAME. 

we're not talking about someone in the military going AWOL leaving his platoon to fight a life or death war without him. We're talking about a guy who was more concerned with his family, his personal health and his future quality of life than he was a game that's played for entertainment. 

Do you think there aren't guys in the nfl with multiple injuries over their career. He is 29 with an ankle injury... He can do what's best for him but that does not exclude him from turning his back on his "brothers" rather selfishly imo. If anyone criticized Josh McDaniels but not luck they are hypocrites.  McDaniels claimed it was for his family and what was best for him. In reality they both lack strong character.  I am a colt fan and if andrew is gone he is no longer a part of the team I root for.... I will bleed blue for life and this man turned his back on his team, organization and fans. If he had done this with the shoulder i would be singing a different tune. The guy is a quitter and we are better off without him. That doesn't mean i won't criticize him or act like what he did was not selfish.

2 minutes ago, ThatOneColtFan said:

Oh please. If those people wanted millions maybe they should become pro athletes? Oh right, it's not as easy as your post would make it seem. And give me a break, them paying doesn't guarantee or entitle them anything BUT a spot in the stadium to watch a game. You aren't guaranteed a win or even a good game. Any of these players can go out at any second in a game.

They can get over it and if you are barely getting by you shouldn't be paying thousands to watch live sports. I am sure those people will be fine. They weren't waking up in pain for the past 4 yrs after getting crushed by 250-320lbs pound athletes because your mess of an owner took way too long to fire a terrible coach and a bum GM.

I'd be ok with this franchise going back into irrelevance. Some franchises would not have only killed for Luck but probably treat him much better.

The Colts organization makes millions because people are passionate. Passion pushes people of all incomes to buy cable packages, buy tickets, etc.. Passion also pushes folks to cheer and boo. Both are part of the game. Both are part of the business.

I think it was Superman that said earlier that had he been there, he's not sure what he would have done, but he would have regretted booing the next day. I'm in the same boat as I think many fans are.

At the end of the day, the timing and the way it came out stunk. Fans were already suspicious due to the way the shoulder situation and communication were handled previously.

As far as 4 years of pain/rehab go, there are a lot of players that go through the same. Many get paid a lot less than Andrew. My cousin's husband went to lesser D1 school and had all kinds of injuries, but was a stud regardless. He got signed as a UDFA and bounced around to multiple teams for several years and battled injuries and rehab through most of it. He'd be more than happy to go through more just to make a roster. Point being, some have a greater desire and tolerance than others. 

Every player has a different background and has their own experiences. It's natural I think for fans to compare Luck to others and question things. I wish Andrew all the best. That said, I've moved on and more concerned with how we put things back together.

23 minutes ago, ThatOneColtFan said:

They can get over it and if you are barely getting by you shouldn't be paying thousands to watch live sports. I am sure those people will be fine.

Just like they can get over it, Luck can, and will, get over the fact that he was booed, jerseys burned, etc. Everyone WILL eventually get over it because with time, there will be no choice but to do so.  “Those people” will be fine and so will Luck. I’m not understanding the people on this forum who act like booing in that moment was so out of control.  You can understand and sympathize with the randomness of his retirement, but you can’t fathom the randomness of disappointed fans that booed? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, life long said:

Do you think there aren't guess in the nfl with multiple injuries over their career. He is 29 with an ankle injury... He can do what's best for him but that does not exclude him from turning his back on his "brothers" rather selfishly imo. 

I'm not saying it wasn't selfish of Luck... But it's his life and he's allowed to do what he wants with it. He has every right to be selfish when it comes to decisions he has to make about his own life.

But it is also selfish (and far more egregiously so) when people want and  expect him to keep playing for their own personal enjoyment even though he doesn't want to anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

If anyone deserves boos its Grigson. Most of those injuries happened under him.

Been saying that for years that guy ruined his career and Pagano did not help Irsay what where you thinking:facepalm:

5 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Chris Ballard should have kept quiet about criticizing those fans.  If the organization had handled this better and been more upfront with the fan base about what was really up with Luck this would not have happened.  Letting Colts fans find out in this way was disrespectful.  The booing was showing frustration with the way this was handled.  You got raw emotion from a fan base that was blindsided by the organization they are supposed to trust.  The Colts handled this horribly.  No way around it.  

I'm out of likes....but you nailed it!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

The Colts organization makes millions because people are passionate. Passion pushes people of all incomes to buy cable packages, buy tickets, etc.. Passion also pushes folks to cheer and boo. Both are part of the game. Both are part of the business.

I think it was Superman that said earlier that had he been there, he's not sure what he would have done, but he would have regretted booing the next day. I'm in the same boat as I think many fans are.

At the end of the day, the timing and the way it came out stunk. Fans were already suspicious due to the way the shoulder situation and communication were handled previously.

As far as 4 years of pain/rehab go, there are a lot of players that go through the same. Many get paid a lot less than Andrew. My cousin's husband went to lesser D1 school and had all kinds of injuries, but was a stud regardless. He got signed as a UDFA and bounced around to multiple teams for several years and battled injuries and rehab through most of it. He'd be more than happy to go through more just to make a roster. Point being, some have a greater desire and tolerance than others. 

Every player has a different background and has their own experiences. It's natural I think for fans to compare Luck to others and question things. I wish Andrew all the best. That said, I've moved on and more concerned with how we put things back together.

Great post and IMO this should be the post of the day.

Some people have passion for something....like your cousin's husband did for football.

And some don't...like Luck's passion for football.

And as I have said for a while now, and said it way back when Luck signed his 2nd contract....$140 M can take away A LOT OF PASSION for something.

You get comfortable.  Add in a wife and a baby?  Yeah.  He thinks why go through the routine and struggle of being a great QB?

Pain imo is secondary.  Anyone who has played sports knows that pain just comes with the territory.

Luck likes football. I think he likes hanging out with the guys for example.

Does he LOVE the sport?  I have never gotten that impression from him.  He seems like a guy who would be happier sipping a latte at a French Cafe while reading a book rather than winning a SB.

Just my opinion but I am pretty sure I am right.  His brain is just....different than the average athlete.

And that being said, what he did is IMO VERY selfish when taking into consideration the fan base, the franchise, Irsay, and especially his teammates.

Low class move.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Great post and IMO this should be the post of the day.

Some people have passion for something....like your cousin's husband did for football.

And some don't...like Luck's passion for football.

And as I have said for a while now, and said it way back when Luck signed his 2nd contract....$140 M can take away A LOT OF PASSION for something.

You get comfortable.  Add in a wife and a baby?  Yeah.  He thinks why go through the routine and struggle of being a great QB?

Pain imo is secondary.  Anyone who has played sports knows that pain just comes with the territory.

Luck likes football. I think he likes hanging out with the guys for example.

Does he LOVE the sport?  I have never gotten that impression from him.  He seems like a guy who would be happier sipping a latte at a French Cafe while reading a book rather than winning a SB.

Just my opinion but I am pretty sure I am right.  His brain is just....different than the average athlete.

And that being said, what he did is IMO VERY selfish when taking into consideration the fan base, the franchise, Irsay, and especially his teammates.

Low class move.

Personally, I wouldn't call it a low class move. I do agree that Luck is different from a lot of athletes. He was raised with a lot of advantages as a kid. He didn't need football out of the gate. I do think he loves the game. He chose to return to Stanford for his Senior year when he would have likely been the 1st overall pick. Love doesn't equal passion though. 

To me, there is zero black and white to the situation. It's all gray. I don't think it's fair to question his love for the game. I do think it's fair to question his passion for the game, and perhaps his toughness. 

That said, if I had a 100M in the bank, a wealthy family, and a million post football opportunities, I'm not sure that I wouldn't do the same thing. Regardless, I think his timing was poor. If he's been thinking about this for a while, he should have either made the decision earlier, or toughed it out for one more year. I've always said Luck might be too cerebral. I wonder if he might regret it in a few years and come back.

12 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

That said, if I had a 100M in the bank, a wealthy family, and a million post football opportunities, I'm not sure that I wouldn't do the same thing.

See that is the difference between guys like Luck?  And guys like Tom Brady or Michael Jordan.

Luck got his money and was content with that.

Guys like Jordan and Brady?  They just want to f'ing win.  The money was the gravy.

I am the same.  Money is great.  But the feeling of winning?  Of being the best?

When you breathe your last breath...that is what will make you feel good.

Luck can look back at his life when he is ready to die and say...'wth did I do?'

He as one of the greatest talents ever to come out of college..even HS...and he won jack ****.

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

See that is the difference between guys like Luck?  And guys like Tom Brady or Michael Jordan.

Guys like Jordan and Brady?  They just want to f'ing win.  The money was the gravy.

I am the same.  Money is great.  But the feeling of winning?  Of being the best?

Luck can look back at his life when he is ready to die and say...'wth did I do?'

Keep in mind Jordan retired early... then came back.

• Thanks 1

It's the timing of it that got to those fans. Andrew was giving us hope by doing drills and telling everyone he would be ready for week 1 with confidence. Then he just up and retires 2 weeks before the season. He tried his best to come back healthy and with the season approaching and him making no progress, he decided it wasn't worth it which we can't blame him for. If injured Andrew Luck means an entire season of KC-level Luck, then I'm glad he retired.

I still do not side with the booing. The emotions I get, but booing someone before we even know the details just doesn't paint a good picture as a person.

To me he is dealing with way more than a ankle injury. I am wondering if he has a severe case of depression  of some sort. Mental disabilities do not discriminate because you have money and come from a great family.

There are plenty of people that has committed suicide when everyone around them thought they had the perfect life. 

I pray Andrew finds piece rather that be away from football or coming back in a year or two. Still love our colts and hope we move on from this sooner rather than later. Next Man Up 

8 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Chris Ballard should have kept quiet about criticizing those fans.  If the organization had handled this better and been more upfront with the fan base about what was really up with Luck this would not have happened.  Letting Colts fans find out in this way was disrespectful.  The booing was showing frustration with the way this was handled.  You got raw emotion from a fan base that was blindsided by the organization they are supposed to trust.  The Colts handled this horribly.  No way around it.  

I honestly think Ballard held back when he got to that.  He sounded like he was getting ready to unload and then thought better of it at the last second.

• Like 1

Kinda tired of seeing other players talking crap about fans booing.  

I don't agree with booing but understand it.  

They think we're out of touch?  

I think they're out of touch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, threeflight said:

He as one of the greatest talents ever to come out of college..even HS...and he won jack ****.

Maybe you should look back and say....'wth did I do?'

Your post is jack....

To the bolded: Following your posts sure as h@ll doesn't reflect this.

Maybe Andrew wants to get out before he gets permanently injured. he has a lot more to offer society than just football.  And by the way, he has been a winner.

21 hours ago, Iron Colt said:

Because he absolutely screwed this team by retiring at 29.....2 weeks before the start of the season.

Because he's mentally tired. Are you * kidding me? Tony Romo played in his mid thirties with broken ribs and colar bones. * him. He's a * 

Lots of people are saying the anger is from the timing of this and thats a lie. The truth is people would be just as upset if this happened in March as they were last night...because either way the end result is Andrew Luck is no longer playing and takes much of the Super Bowl hopes with him. I can just here the whiners now if this happened in March...”He should have taken more time to think about it,  has plenty of years left, blah blah”

Plus, Irsay said it himself last night that he advised Andrew to hold off as long as possible making a decision like this because that’s what you should do with big decisions. So you can bet the Colts we’re trying to talk him out of it and pushed this to the end in hopes that he keeps playing. Given that Andrew is one of 6-7 people on the planet with his skill set any organization would have done the same thing.

All we see is the game on Sunday. If anyone has ever had surgery and went through rehab you know it absolutely blows. And yes it blows mentally too. Anyone who can’t comprehend what it takes to mentally come back from an injury should zip it. Football is a rough sport and I highly doubt there are many players not rehabbing something at any given time. So maybe Luck comes back from the ankle but what’s he dealing with in 2 months? After the season? It’s always likely to be something. The money isn’t going to make it worth it for all and that’s okay.

Players have a life beyond football. Luck and his wife are expecting and it’s not so hard to believe that maybe he would rather walk away now, before more wear and tear on his body, and be able to play with his kid. Even without a child it’s understandable why a player walks away with seemingly good years remaining. 

Just because some players want to keep going, like Romo, doesn’t mean every player has to. At the end of the day it’s their life and their career. Andrew owes the fans nothing. He owes the team nothing. He is doing what he feels is right for him and that’s exactly what he should do. If people can’t handle a player calling the shots on their own career they should go find some hobby that allows them to be a control freak.

Anyone who decided to boo Luck last night needs to grow up. 

The fact is the Colts we’re very fortunate to have Luck as their QB even if it was for “only” 6 years. He was great in the community too. Maybe some don’t realize or they do but don’t care because they are too busy acting like a 3 year old who doesn’t get their way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

Just like they can get over it, Luck can, and will, get over the fact that he was booed, jerseys burned, etc. Everyone WILL eventually get over it because with time, there will be no choice but to do so.  “Those people” will be fine and so will Luck. I’m not understanding the people on this forum who act like booing in that moment was so out of control.  You can understand and sympathize with the randomness of his retirement, but you can’t fathom the randomness of disappointed fans that booed? 

This here is probably the smartest thing posted here in this site in the last 24 hours. Not joking. 

• Like 1

On a bright note, I have played in the same Fantasy League for 5 years now going on 6. A 12 team league. I finally won it all last year and Luck was my QB. I sent him out with a championship lmao 

• Like 1

i would not have booed but i dont have a problem with those that did either.  this was handed poorly and thats become a trend for the team lately 

he would have been booed by any other nfl fan base in the same circumstances though 

8 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i would not have booed but i dont have a problem with those that did either.  this was handed poorly and thats become a trend for the team lately 

he would have been booed by any other nfl fan base in the same circumstances though 

Yeah and it was only few hundred people. ESPN acted like it was 50,000 people lmao 

I am so sorry that Andrew had to go through a terrible reception to his news last night. No one deserves that, and especially not Andrew. Indianapolis has been very lucky to have Andrew play with the Colts and to become a member of our community. He is one of the best people just as a normal human being, let alone the quarterback for our favorite team, and he shared himself with all of us unselfishly. We should show him respect for all that he has given to Indy. I do hope they give all us fans a chance to give him a  better goodbye!!!

It's a fans right; based on emotion and optics. I'm sure Andrew did not want to have a press conference looking like a ragpicker but due to twitter world; that's what happened with news leaking out. Could it have been from a big mouth teammate?

13 hours ago, aaron11 said:

Handled poorly seems like Colts Front Office thing with this and Josh jilting them at the alter last year.

Y’all who throw the argument of ‘i Spent money on this so my actions are justified’ are more delusional (and stupid) than Ryan Grisgson trying to fix the offensive line with Gosder Cherilus and Todd Herremans.

To anyone criticizing the boos Saturday - one question:

Have you ever booed a ref or a bad call?

There's one big difference between booing a ref and Luck. One is a snap judgement that you are marginally invested in (and apparently acceptable to boo). The other is a player/organization that you are extremely invested in and probably have been for years. Which one warrants a larger emotional response?

• Like 1