Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any idea on cap effects of this?

WoolMagnet

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

Already said, but just to repeat:

He will count $18.4m against the the 2019 cap, and $6.4m against the 2020 cap. Nothing after that. 

I get why they're not making an issue of the roster bonus. I don't like the precedent that it sets, but this is a rare situation. And when superstars retire and get asked to pay back bonus money, it usually goes poorly (like Calvin Johnson). So clean break, and it keeps good relations between the team and the player moving forward. 

Also keeps clean the relationship and an extended bridge for potential return in a year or two. The chance might not be high, but I guess it might be worth it. 

While I highly doubt Luck comes back, and I hope for his own health and well being that he does not, I am super curious to see how it gets handled if he does.

If he decides in 2021 that he wants to come back and the Colts then still hold his rights (as I know they would), does his contract simply pick up in 2021 w what he would have made in 2019?

Does it pick up in the 2021 year of his contract?

Or do they just hold his rights and have to negotiate a completely new deal?

Not sure that I know much of a precedent for that scenario to know how it would go.

I doubt we ever find that out, but crazier stuff has happened.

48 minutes ago, stitches said:

Also keeps clean the relationship and an extended bridge for potential return in a year or two. The chance might not be high, but I guess it might be worth it. 

Yes Irsay seems to really think that Luck is going to change his mind at some point and comeback.  

With that said I noticed Ballard seem to bristle when Irsay went down the comeback road last night.  I don’t think Ballard would welcome Luck back with open arms as crazy as that might seem.  Ballard seems to believe firmly in you are either in or out and Luck made his choice.  If Luck changes his mind I don’t think Ballard would feel Luck is fully committed going forward and he doesn’t want those kinds of guys on his team.  

With that said Ballard isn’t the owner so if Luck comes back one day and Irsay wants him then Ballard won’t have a choice.  

I am also just guessing what Ballard might be thinking based on the little I honestly know about the man.

Also, there is a problem with the wait for Luck to change his mind approach beyond the fact it might not happen.  How long are the Colts going to wait?  At some point they have to move forward at the QB spot and invest in someone else, maybe it’s Brissett but if it’s not him it’s probably going to be someone in this draft class. Say the Colts move up to go get one of the top QBs in this class and invest into him for a year and Luck then decides to comeback.  At that point unless the new kids a bust it’s probably smarter to stick with younger and healthier QB.  

18 hours ago, Superman said:

Irsay is obviously holding on to that hope. As a fan, I'm moving on. The Andrew Luck chapter is written and done. 

Was like getting hit with a Mike Tyson left hook but I'm moving on too. My prediction is that Jacoby will prove to be a QB that will be a great back up or one that is used for a team to "bridge." A little similar to Ryan Fitzpatrick ? I'm thinking if we have a rough year , which is possible with that brutal schedule , we get to a top three draft position and take a QB. 

17 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes Irsay seems to really think that Luck is going to change his mind at some point and comeback.  

With that said I noticed Ballard seem to bristle when Irsay went down the comeback road last night.  I don’t think Ballard would welcome Luck back with open arms as crazy as that might seem.  Ballard seems to believe firmly in you are either in or out and Luck made his choice.  If Luck changes his mind I don’t think Ballard would feel Luck is fully committed going forward and he doesn’t want those kinds of guys on his team.  

With that said Ballard isn’t the owner so if Luck comes back one day and Irsay wants him then Ballard won’t have a choice.  

I am also just guessing what Ballard might be thinking based on the little I honestly know about the man.

Also, there is a problem with the wait for Luck to change his mind approach beyond the fact it might not happen.  How long are the Colts going to wait?  At some point they have to move forward at the QB spot and invest in someone else, maybe it’s Brissett but if it’s not him it’s probably going to be someone in this draft class. Say the Colts move up to go get one of the top QBs in this class and invest into him for a year and Luck then decides to comeback.  At that point unless the new kids a bust it’s probably smarter to stick with younger and healthier QB.  

If the Colts were to have a good young QB and Luck comes out of retirement , the most sensible thing would be trading him.

4 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Was like getting hit with a Mike Tyson left hook but I'm moving on too. My prediction is that Jacoby will prove to be a QB that will be a great back up or one that is used for a team to "bridge." A little similar to Ryan Fitzpatrick ? I'm thinking if we have a rough year , which is possible with that brutal schedule , we get to a top three draft position and take a QB. 

I think I called Brissett a bridge QB in another thread. If he winds up being better than that, great, but I'm not expecting it.

If we wind up having a below average year and get a pick somewhere in the 9-15 range, we have the draft capital and cap space to get creative and get in that top three range, if we want. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I think I called Brissett a bridge QB in another thread. If he winds up being better than that, great, but I'm not expecting it.

If we wind up having a below average year and get a pick somewhere in the 9-15 range, we have the draft capital and cap space to get creative and get in that top three range, if we want. 

yep