Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan is the worst GM ever

runthepost

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I always felt fans went overboard with the Grigson hate. I don't feel that way right now. 

@Dustin @Colts_Fan12 and a bunch of others, I wish Irsay had done it your way and canned Grigson way back before the 2015 season.  

Hard to see how Irsay could've canned anyone before the 2015 season.    The 2014 team went to the AFC Championship game.     Not often you advance that far in year 3 of your building and the owner fires the HC and GM.

I would think perhaps John Fox getting canned by Elway might be one of the few exceptions.

• Like 2

It's time to admit that Andrew Luck is not who we thought he was. No other top qb is going to retire after the season he just had. And retire at 29yrs old. The guy just doesn't have them mental make-up of an all time great qb. And thats fine. Good luck in life. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hard to see how Irsay could've canned anyone before the 2015 season.    The 2014 team went to the AFC Championship game.     Not often you advance that far in year 3 of your building and the owner fires the HC and GM.

I would think perhaps John Fox getting canned by Elway might be one of the few exceptions.

True. But that's the Back to the Future turning point that started the Luck injury cycle. 

What stage of grief is this?

• Like 1

The past is the past. he wasn't touched last year and was looking to face a better line this year and not get hurt. He had nothing but a perfect set up that any qb could want. 

Don't hold it against grigson (he's trash). Luck hurt his shoulder snowboarding/skiing, that's his fault. He hurt his calf/ankle during the off-season, again his fault. The only one to blame for his prolonged rehab is himself.

I knew we should have traded him when we had the chance. Now we get nothing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

True. But that's the Back to the Future turning point that started the Luck injury cycle. 

Welcome.....    you've been greatly missed all night.    I kept checking periodically.    

When you get a free hour or more....   read the marathon thread....    you'll read things you'd never thought you'd read here.....     lots of OMG posts....    even some from some very, very smart posters.     They simply lost their......   stuff.   

It's eye popping, jaw dropping stuff....   nearly 1,000 posts of crazy talk.   

And for what it's worth.....   I barely posted at all.    Wasn't hard to see a Tsumani wave coming.    I couldn't hold it back for second.    I made a few comments,   gave a few reactions, and got the Heck out of Dodge!  

A long, sad night for everyone......      See you when the dawn comes....       :peek:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The man got enough hate over the years. He was GM of the year. Then he was terrible.  Then people hated him. Honestly,  he tried, looked great, drank his own Koolaid,  crapped the bed, got fired, got crapped on by everyone. End of story. 

This is about Luck. For better or for worse he just didnt have it. Ive said in another thread Id probably do the same. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I always felt fans went overboard with the Grigson hate. I don't feel that way right now. 

@Dustin @Colts_Fan12 and a bunch of others, I wish Irsay had done it your way and canned Grigson way back before the 2015 season.  

Well they did go overboard because many said he didn't even try, but as @John Waylon said he did try, he was just really bad at his job. :lol:

8 hours ago, GusFring said:

It's time to admit that Andrew Luck is not who we thought he was. No other top qb is going to retire after the season he just had. And retire at 29yrs old. The guy just doesn't have them mental make-up of an all time great qb. And thats fine. Good luck in life. 

With the coaching staff, training staff, doctors, fans, media, & others breathing down his neck all the time...wanting to know his status (how's it feel, can you put pressure on it at this angle, how does it feel after light warm-up, etc, etc), wanting him to practice, wanting any nuggets of information... I think it just broke him and he said screw it, I'll do what I want.  The approach should have simply been to back the hell up and give him time off on his OWN schedule.  But superstar status NFL football dictates that we all should get "micro-updates", thus I think it just wore him out.  With Irsay going into probably too much ramble detail yesterday and hearing mostly what he said or trying to interpret what he meant, I think that was the case even more now (that Andrew got burnt out at the inundation .  Not faulting Irsay or anyone, but Luck is a very delicate mind, an aberration, a QB savant if you will.  Not sure we'll ever figure out what truly happened.

• Like 1

Grigs was awful...that was clear pretty early on. Irsay extending Grigs and Pagano was one of the biggest missteps in franchise history. 

However, we can’t fully blame Grigs for this. He actually did make an attempt to get an OL...he was just really bad at talent evaluation. 

And BA and Chud didn’t help either...with the schemes that they ran.

It was a collective effort. And what Luck is doing is unprecedented...a franchise QB retiring before he reaches 30.

Part of me wonders if he even had an injury this offseason...or at least one that was so severe he couldn’t play. 

8 hours ago, Superman said:

We all skipped the Denial stage because he addressed it as soon as the game was over. 

Anger for many. Bargaining for some. Depression to come... Hopefully some acceptance soon. 

Is the ankle the result of the previous GM, or is Luck's personality? 

"always knew Luck was different "

Probably means different from your normal ego-driven diva type of personality common in the NFL. IOW, Luck's a normal person but has a different personality for a football player.

And my comments from another thread:

"Another post in another thread suggested that Luck mentally checked out during the KC game.  I never wanted to say that, but I remember thinking the exact same thing at the time.  He looked less engaged than usual during that game.  Almost a sense of hopelessness.

I don't think Luck was ever really up to being the focus of the team.  I think he reluctantly did it because it was his job, and did it well enough, but I think that role is inconsistent with his natural personality.  In contrast to someone Like PM, who relishes that role.

And now we have KC and Mahomes to fight through to get to the SB.  Whenever anybody plays KC, its going to turn into a shoot out.  How much MORE will the success of the team fall onto the opponents' QB's shoulders.  Some people simply have their breaking point as to how much responsibility they can....or want...to take on.

Luck ran a power run play action passing game college in college.  Jim Harbaugh was the leader and face of that team, not Luck.  In the NFL, the QB has that role, not the coach.

I think Luck enjoys scrambling for first downs and TDs.  Likes blasting the DB after an interception.  He likes football, but Luck would probably be more comfortable playing QB in the 1970's NFL where the success of the team, season, coaching staff, fan base, and stadium financing does not depend upon what the QB does with the ball every snap. 

Now he sees Mahomes and what it will take to win it all, and sees the part of the job he never liked that much being even more of the focus of his job in the future."

And when a GM says that an ankle injury is the result of the "cumulative" effect, that's not that far away from saying its going to be a chronic arthritic condition as long as there is more wear on it.

And like Tiger Woods knee injuries, it could simply be the result of over torquing the joint over the years.

After you make your first $25million, exactly how much to you need the next $100 million, and what are you willing to do to earn it?

Are you going to let your self be in a position where dopey fans criticize you for snowboarding....or how you raise your kid... how you live your life on your personal time?

Do you want to be scrutinized every moment of your life for the next 5 years after you've already made $25 million?

And is winning a made-up championship for a made-up game really much of a motivator for a normal person with a normal sized ego?

8 hours ago, Superman said:

Remember that Zeke post? I said why hate on Zeke for wanting more money and folks like yourself said you would still pay Luck money in the future over paying Zeke. Who's correct now? Remember I said Im not here for super-likes but for FACTS. people replied, "Well Superman is top poster of Facts" com on man. I was right about my statement. Hate it or love it.

40 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Is the ankle the result of the previous GM, or is Luck's personality? 

"always knew Luck was different "

Probably means different from your normal ego-driven diva type of personality common in the NFL. IOW, Luck's a normal person but has a different personality for a football player.

And my comments from another thread:

"Another post in another thread suggested that Luck mentally checked out during the KC game.  I never wanted to say that, but I remember thinking the exact same thing at the time.  He looked less engaged than usual during that game.  Almost a sense of hopelessness.

I don't think Luck was ever really up to being the focus of the team.  I think he reluctantly did it because it was his job, and did it well enough, but I think that role is inconsistent with his natural personality.  In contrast to someone Like PM, who relishes that role.

And now we have KC and Mahomes to fight through to get to the SB.  Whenever anybody plays KC, its going to turn into a shoot out.  How much MORE will the success of the team fall onto the opponents' QB's shoulders.  Some people simply have their breaking point as to how much responsibility they can....or want...to take on.

Luck ran a power run play action passing game college in college.  Jim Harbaugh was the leader and face of that team, not Luck.  In the NFL, the QB has that role, not the coach.

I think Luck enjoys scrambling for first downs and TDs.  Likes blasting the DB after an interception.  He likes football, but Luck would probably be more comfortable playing QB in the 1970's NFL where the success of the team, season, coaching staff, fan base, and stadium financing does not depend upon what the QB does with the ball every snap. 

Now he sees Mahomes and what it will take to win it all, and sees the part of the job he never liked that much being even more of the focus of his job in the future."

And when a GM says that an ankle injury is the result of the "cumulative" effect, that's not that far away from saying its going to be a chronic arthritic condition as long as there is more wear on it.

And like Tiger Woods knee injuries, it could simply be the result of over torquing the joint over the years.

After you make your first $25million, exactly how much to you need the next $100 million, and what are you willing to do to earn it?

Are you going to let your self be in a position where dopey fans criticize you for snowboarding....or how you raise your kid... how you live your life on your personal time?

Do you want to be scrutinized every moment of your life for the next 5 years after you've already made $25 million?

And is winning a made-up championship for a made-up game really much of a motivator for a normal person with a normal sized ego?

Dude nice summary. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Remember that Zeke post? I said why hate on Zeke for wanting more money and folks like yourself said you would still pay Luck money in the future over paying Zeke. Who's correct now? Remember I said Im not here for super-likes but for FACTS. people replied, "Well Superman is top poster of Facts" com on man. I was right about my statement. Hate it or love it.

You're reaching so far to pat yourself on the back that your wingspan might get you drafted by Ballard...  :lol:

Never liked Grigson and his egotistical, conceded personality. He wasn't ready to be a GM and probably never will. He was handed a golden platter with Luck being the best QB prospect in a decade and still managed to screw it up. Everybody and I literally meen everybody was pounding on the table for 5 yrs to draft/sign OL help but Grigson refused to do so! Horrible GM and person!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You're reaching so far to pat yourself on the back that your wingspan might get you drafted by Ballard...  :lol:

But I was right and you were wrong so whats your point? Actually Luck proved your point. Folks as yourself were like "Luck is the Franchise and you would pay him whatever he wanted next year and beyond. When I stated that players ala Zeke should get there worth. But you and many were against this idea for some reason. Now its your turn to eat crow! So please. I told you that I don't care about likes as I stand on my own two feet regardless of popular opinion. Now you want to make a joke out of the fact that you were wrong. ok but we all know who was on what side of the fence. And majority were Pro Luck (give him what he wants moving forward) and against the Zeke pay out. Remember? lol Now ride off in the sunset like LUCK @LuckColts

4 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

But I was right and you were wrong so whats your point? Actually Luck proved your point. Folks as yourself were like "Luck is the Franchise and you would pay him whatever he wanted next year and beyond. When I stated that players ala Zeke should get there worth. But you and many were against this idea for some reason. Now its your turn to eat crow! So please. I told you that I don't care about likes as I stand on my own two feet regardless of popular opinion. Now you want to make a joke out of the fact that you were wrong. ok but we all know who was on what side of the fence. And majority were Pro Luck (give him what he wants moving forward) and against the Zeke pay out. Remember? lol Now ride off in the sunset like LUCK @LuckColts

I think anyone using this situation with Luck to pat themselves on the back about previous posts and demanding other forum members eat crow is about as self-centered as can be.

You and @threeflight are two peas in the same rotten pod.

Ya'll are like flies getting fat on a steaming pile of _____ 

36747527-stinky-poop-pile-with-flies-car

• Thanks 1

I would not be surprised that Luck as surgery on his ankle soon.  Here is to hoping that he allows himself to heal and feel right and making a comeback.  He said he needed to break the cycle of pain and rehab.  Taking a year off could do just that.

If he does not comeback then i wish him nothing but the best.  I have a signed Luck jersey in my office and it will stay there.    

Joseph

Grigson sucked beyond belief, yes, but Luck has repeatedly said the shoulder is fine while  the current injury is nothing that should send you into retirement.  In fact, Luck himself recently said he could play on it, and probably could suit up in two weeks, if he wanted to.

Face it, it's a complex situation.  It's  much more than just Grigson or the injuries.  At least for the moment, Luck simply doesn't want to play football. 

Brady missed an entire season.  Manning missed an entire season.  They didn't retire.  Luck hasn't missed much more time than they did.

Its not just Ryan Grigson, guys!!! Hiring guys like Pep and Chud that did not emphasize the short passing game/motions the way Reich and Sirianni do now led to schematic failures resulting in more hits too. There is plenty of blame to go around, including some on Luck and Pagano. 

Bottom line, we were handed a Ferrari and chose cheaper insurance. However, the Ferrari was reckless at times too. 

• Thanks 1

Aside from the snowboarding injury that caused the labrum, this is 100% right. We all said it way back then. Grigson killed Luck. Apart from the shoulder there was a concussion, lacerated kidney, partially torn abdomen, torn cartilage in his ribs. And who knows what other small Knicks and bruises. That’s on the GM. I’d put some on the coaches and coordinators he had over the years that kept him in the air raid type systems where he had to hold the ball longer despite not having the protection to do so. Reich was the only person who got the ball out of his hands quick.

This is reminds me of Chad Pennington and David Carr. The 2012-2016 Colts will go down as one of the most poorly ran and coaches football teams in recent memory that was responsible for the early retirement of a top 5 QB who was only just hitting his prime. Deep down Irsay is sick. The worst part is you could have done without Grigson. Look at the roster now and the only player he drafted that another GM might’ve missed On was Hilton.

I saw a chart showing Luck's sacks per season.  He incurred the most his rookie season (under BA), then they declined dramatically each season thereafter until the 2016 season when he reportedly played in pain.  Also, a timeline shows that the 2015 season, he played with a sprained AC.  That was the year Hasselbeck played, so Luck's sacks would naturally be down in 2015, and Hasselbeck did not get sacked nearly as much.

The timeline also said that Luck had a frayed Labrum in the preseason of 2016, after playing 2015 on the AC sprain (I think many point to a hit from TEN as the source of the sprain).  But we can't point to a source of the Labrum problem (playing with a bad AC during 2015 maybe?)

So to me, the question is why did Luck play so much in 2016 when he was injured, when we had a competent QB as a backup.  Was he forced to?  Or did he choose to?

This was also about the time he had the snowboarding accident, and he went to numerous doctors showing that the accident did not impact the Labrum, but did impact the AC sprain.  

Did he play so much as to show the FO that his snowboarding accident wasn't a big deal?  Did he have something to prove?, that the injury he incurred on his own time was not a factor (to keep his money, btw)

There's lots of questions and blame to go around.