Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time to Tank for Lawrence

Luck 4 president

Unfortunately, today’s generation of players, coaches, and front office are too selfish to sacrifice their own careers for the sake of the fan base and  their future replacements.  This city owes a debt of gratitude to those fine people, including a HOF GM, for giving up their life long dreams so that others could experience the joy of a winning record!  

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

How bout we just try and  build a complete  team that is not so reliant on qb play???? 

That's what Ballard has said he would/could do all along.  I'm with you.  "Tanking" is nonsense,  let the man work.  We can't know if Jacoby is the answer yet or not, we havent seen a single game out of him under this new regime.  It's way too early to judge and I'd never call for the Colts lose on purpose.  If they're not good enough they'll do that naturally.

• Like 2

The chances of being able to be in the position/get in the position to draft Lawrence are so, so low.

1.) Other than straight up shutting down or cutting guys like Leonard, Nelson, Hilton, Mack, Hooker, Moore...you get the point...we're probably not gonna be bad enough to get the 1st overall pick.

2.) I highly doubt Ballard would pay the price to move up to get Lawrence because it'll be the biggest haul ever given up in a trade...and that's even if the team who has the #1 pick will want to trade out of it. I think most teams in the league would take Lawrence and run with him, save for maybe the Chiefs (Mahomes), and it's not very likely they'll be picking #1 then.

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

yeahhhh… about that. you ever heard of the Pacers? they tend to believe in not tanking. and whats it get them? right in the middle ever year. just good enough to make the playoffs and get bounced, and miss out on every single generational star, every single year.

You heard of the Patriots.  Their roster turns over alot each year and they will win. Even if brady retires today Hoyer could come in and win 11 games. It's  about more than high draft picks. It's  about picking  the guys that fit your system no matter where you pick and having the right coaches  to play them to their strengths.  The Patriots  aren't  more talented  than the chiefs or chargers and yet they still beat them due to good game planning  and having  the right guy to fit their system. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wow I came over to the website to see what kind of optimism if any was floating around for this season. This thread is shocking. I am hoping the best for Brissett and feel Ballard and company have way more integrity than you think if you think they will tank a season for an unproven kid that may or may not ever win a game. They could lose jobs over such a thing Bill Polian brought a superbowl to Irsay and was fired after 1 bad season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

You heard of the Patriots.  Their roster turns over alot each year and they will win. Even if brady retires today Hoyer could come in and win 11 games. It's  about more than high draft picks. It's  about picking  the guys that fit your system no matter where you pick and having the right coaches  to play them to their strengths.  The Patriots  aren't  more talented  than the chiefs or chargers and yet they still beat them due to good game planning  and having  the right guy to fit their system. 

Uhhhhhhhhh  Hoyer was cut today.

5 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Never get enamoured with QBs who are 2 years removed from the draft.. it doesn’t end well mostly. 

That’s not even touching on the whole premise of this topic... 

Yup. So much could happen between now and then. He looks like the real deal now but two years is a long time in football. 

On 8/26/2019 at 1:23 PM, stitches said:

A very very slight, barely visible silver-lining - we are playing a very hard schedule this year. 6-10 or even 5-11 isn't too hard to imagine, IMO. 

Like we've seen many times before, we will appreciate just how good Luck was when he's gone and we have to compare what he used to give us with what a player like Brissett, who many think is a top 30QB, can give us. 

I mean, we went 8-8 with Luck in 2016, and we did pretty well without him in 2015, too. 

On 8/25/2019 at 4:24 AM, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Sure he will, its really just a matter of can we stomach it for 2 years?

Nah, we can't beat Miami, no matter how hard we try. They already have 4 1st round and 4 2nd round picks plus Fitzmagic. And they're just warming up. :D

• Like 1

In all serousness, I think right now it's not the right time to suck for a QB. Just look back in recent  few years. Playoff teams found their franchise QBs moving up from outside the 20, while top - I mean bottom - teams struggled finding their own. I don't know how long this era will last, but right now, in today's NFL the right place, right coach, right system is much-much more importan than it ever has been before. You can win with Goff, Trubisky, Prescott and suck with Allen or Darnold, who I believe much more talented than any of the former. If Ballard is good - he convinced me he is -, he'll find a guy for Reich's system outside of the top5. Maybe outside of round 1.

8 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

If there isn’t a great qb in the draft that will be a top10 qb in the nfl at all we should not even think about drafting him. ‘‘Tis is overrated. I’d rather just build our team and draft a beast on defense or something

We really need to address LT very soon.

3 hours ago, Roger said:

Can someone point to a player The Evil Hoodie traded that had success with another team?

That's a tough one, the Patriots are so rarely sellers.

Brandin Cooks springs to mind fairly quickly though.  He wasn't a fit for what  the Pats wanted so they moved him for a first and IIRC got Sony Michel with it.

If the lockerroom is indeed as good as they're saying, and the talent level is as good as they're saying and we are seeing, then to tank would be a crime against the lockerroom and football. Do you think our players wouldnt get the message that they're not good enough? The last thing we need is our players quitting on this vision of ballards because someone wanted to tank for a QB before they even saw how good Brissett is. This is utter nonsense. It would make sense if our team was depleted of talent but it's not and one of the reasons our team is has done so well is because they all trust each other. Why break that trust? 

• Like 2

Tanking is stupid. But to play along with this thread I heard someone mention how NFL teams should stay away from QB that come from big schools and look great. The reasoning was these teams are loaded with talent and it’s hard to get a gauge on how good they actually are. if you look around most of the elite QB did not go to big time schools that were winning national championships.

On 8/26/2019 at 1:36 PM, Myles said:

I don't think having a losing record is a silver lining.   We have lots of good young players.  I won't root for losing until we are out of playoff contention.  It's not like the season before we drafted Luck.   The team was bad at that time.   

adding more top talent is never a bad thing I'll take a top 5 pick anytime we get it and still be happy cause it usually nets someone very talented 

You're basically making a trade when you tank.  you're trading with the universe 1 year of every player's life, health, and contract status for a shot at maybe 1 guy you wouldn't get otherwise.

I'm just saying that's proaby not always a good trade.  Especially if you already have guys doing your potential tank target's job at well above replacement level.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2019 at 8:22 AM, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Kid from Stanford, Costello? Solid option.

Thanks for asking....

But,  not for me.    I'm hugely disappointed by Costello.

Maybe he'll blossom this year,  but PFF gave him a very high grade last year and had him going 31st or 32nd in the 2020 draft....      Personally,   I think it's crazy talk.

I see Costello as a 4th rounder at best.     I'd love to be wrong,  but don't see it.    I'll write a longer eval sometime later.....

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2019 at 5:37 PM, Roger said:

Can someone point to a player The Evil Hoodie traded that had success with another team?

Jimmy Garoppolo was looking good before injury.

Matt Cassel has one good season with KC after being traded there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

Jimmy Garoppolo was looking good before injury.

Matt Cassel has one good season with KC after being traded there. 

Those two examples are used by people to support the contention that NE players have an undeserved attraction.  I doubt San Fran would give Garropolo that contract today.

6 minutes ago, Roger said:

Those two examples are used by people to support the contention that NE players have an undeserved attraction.  I doubt San Fran would give Garropolo that contract today.

I think NE has a very QB friendly system. Several QBs during BB’s tenure have performed well and most likely above expectations. I don’t think Brady can do what Brady does on a different team without the same scheme. That’s not to say he’s not a great QB, because every QB is in fact a system QB to a degree.