Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Luck 4 president

Time to Tank for Lawrence

Recommended Posts

Tank for uncertainty?  If I'm a player on a team, be it Hilton, Ebron, or Nelson, why would I want the team to tank just to get a QB who might not even pan out after college?  Seriously people, gotta stop this nonsense about tanking.  Support your team and its current players.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't Lawrence a stick-man at this point?   Stop eating salad.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 1:08 PM, Valpo2004 said:

 

That rule was already challenged in court a while ago by Maurice Clarett.   He lost.

youre talking about 2 decades ago. things change. but that is also why I said "odds aren't in his favor" 

On 8/26/2019 at 2:22 PM, DougDew said:

Isn't Lawrence a stick-man at this point?   Stop eating salad.

not really. he weighs 215. its just because of his 6'6 frame. by the time hes in the league he'll be 230 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 2:19 PM, Devildog said:

Tank for uncertainty?  If I'm a player on a team, be it Hilton, Ebron, or Nelson, why would I want the team to tank just to get a QB who might not even pan out after college?  Seriously people, gotta stop this nonsense about tanking.  Support your team and its current players.

there are certain players that you just know about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We suckers for Luck and karma came back to bite us. Let's just play our best and let the chips fall where they may. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s the deal IMO: Play with Brissett, he does ok but not Super Bowl contender ok. He signs a big contract elsewhere next year, we get a far worse QB in FA, continue to build the roster and fill as many holes as possible. Suck in 2020. 1st or top 5 pick in 2021 draft, we either are #1 or trade up for #1, and boom, we have Lawrence. That’s 3 generational QBs in a row drafted by Indy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was a player on this team I am not coming back to a team that wants to tank. Lol. If JB doesn’t work out we have plenty of draft capital to move up. These threads are just stupid. Let’s waste the rest of TY career by tanking. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Here’s the deal IMO: Play with Brissett, he does ok but not Super Bowl contender ok. He signs a big contract elsewhere next year, we get a far worse QB in FA, continue to build the roster and fill as many holes as possible. Suck in 2020. 1st or top 5 pick in 2021 draft, we either are #1 or trade up for #1, and boom, we have Lawrence. That’s 3 generational QBs in a row drafted by Indy. 

Yea who wants to suck any year? We don't  need Lawrence  to win. We don't need Mahomes  to win. All we need is a solid qb with a great team around him. Big ben had this and won multiple super bowls,  tom brady had this and won multiple superbowls,  eli manning  had this and won multiple super bowls. All three of them started off as average  qbs and developed  into good and elite ones

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Yea who wants to suck any year? We don't  need Lawrence  to win. We don't need Mahomes  to win. All we need is a solid qb with a great team around him. Big ben had this and won multiple super bowls,  tom brady had this and won multiple superbowls,  eli manning  had this and won multiple super bowls. All three of them started off as average  qbs and developed  into good and elite ones

Sure, but before we get our QB we need to keep building the team. We have a lot of young talent, but we need more at other positions, such as the defensive line, a stud SS (even though I love Geathers, he’s hurt too often), and some more corners on defense, and also a young LT to develop behind AC and maybe a stud RB such as Johnathan Taylor, Deandre Swift, or Travis Etienne on the offensive side. We get some good young players there, and this team is one talented QB away from being a perineal SB contender 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The colts are a lot like KC. Mahomes came in his first year as a starter and they won . We don’t need a number one pick to find our QB if JB doesn’t work out. We are not rebuilding. A top ten pick we can get by moving up and if it’s the right guy we can win right away with him. We need to be rooting for JB to succeed not worrying about a QB.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you aren't trying to win, what's the actual point of being an NFL franchise?

 

Never, EVER tank. Tanking is what you do when you have no idea how to find gems in later rounds.  This franchise has too long and proud a history to go into any given year without a plan for how to win.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 2:19 PM, Devildog said:

Tank for uncertainty?  If I'm a player on a team, be it Hilton, Ebron, or Nelson, why would I want the team to tank just to get a QB who might not even pan out after college?  Seriously people, gotta stop this nonsense about tanking.  Support your team and its current players.

yeahhhh… about that. you ever heard of the Pacers? they tend to believe in not tanking. and whats it get them? right in the middle ever year. just good enough to make the playoffs and get bounced, and miss out on every single generational star, every single year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Stoney said:

yeahhhh… about that. you ever heard of the Pacers? they tend to believe in not tanking. and whats it get them? right in the middle ever year. just good enough to make the playoffs and get bounced, and miss out on every single generational star, every single year.

 

That's the NBA,which has overexpanded to a ridiculous degree to the point that there's only 2 rounds in the draft that actually matter.  The talent pool is much, much deeper in the NFL, plenty of guys slip through the cracks and can be found by a good GM in later rounds.  After all, that's pretty much literally what the patriots do.

 

Look at the Browns who had all the draft capital in the world and couldn't suck their way to relevance

 

Tanking is a crutch for terrible roster management. a good GM can avoid putting his team in a position to need to tank almost indefinitely, if he gets his talent evaluation right.

 

Speaking of talent evaluation -- we have a guy as our starting QB who has Bill Belichick's seal of approval.  He might be the greatest draft talent evaluator of the current football era. I wouldn't walk away from that lightly or quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If I was a player on this team I am not coming back to a team that wants to tank. Lol. If JB doesn’t work out we have plenty of draft capital to move up. These threads are just stupid. Let’s waste the rest of TY career by tanking. 

id trade him and some other aging stars on our team for draft capital if the season starts out bad. the way Ballard drafts we would be contenders again in 2 years if we find our QB.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, would you mind reposting your thoughts from last year when the Colts were 1-5 I'm sure they must be as equally brilliant as this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The colts are a lot like KC. Mahomes came in his first year as a starter and they won . We don’t need a number one pick to find our QB if JB doesn’t work out. We are not rebuilding. A top ten pick we can get by moving up and if it’s the right guy we can win right away with him. We need to be rooting for JB to succeed not worrying about a QB.

believe all you want. JB isn't the guy. hes just another one of them guys thatll put you in the middle of the pack. and that is the worst place to be in sports. youre not a contender, and you also miss out on the elite draft prospects. some people are just too prideful for their own good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

That's the NBA,which has overexpanded to a ridiculous degree to the point that there's only 2 rounds in the draft that actually matter.  The talent pool is much, much deeper in the NFL, plenty of guys slip through the cracks and can be found by a good GM in later rounds.  After all, that's pretty much literally what the patriots do.

 

Look at the Browns who had all the draft capital in the world and couldn't suck their way to relevance

 

Tanking is a crutch for terrible roster management. a good GM can avoid putting his team in a position to need to tank almost indefinitely, if he gets his talent evaluation right.

 

Speaking of talent evaluation -- we have a guy as our starting QB who has Bill Belichick's seal of approval.  He might be the greatest draft talent evaluator of the current football era. I wouldn't walk away from that lightly or quickly.

yeah well he also traded him away for Phillip Dorsett.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

That's the NBA,which has overexpanded to a ridiculous degree to the point that there's only 2 rounds in the draft that actually matter.  The talent pool is much, much deeper in the NFL, plenty of guys slip through the cracks and can be found by a good GM in later rounds.  After all, that's pretty much literally what the patriots do.

 

Look at the Browns who had all the draft capital in the world and couldn't suck their way to relevance

 

Tanking is a crutch for terrible roster management. a good GM can avoid putting his team in a position to need to tank almost indefinitely, if he gets his talent evaluation right.

 

Speaking of talent evaluation -- we have a guy as our starting QB who has Bill Belichick's seal of approval.  He might be the greatest draft talent evaluator of the current football era. I wouldn't walk away from that lightly or quickly.

and the browns couldn't suck their way to relevance because they had horrible coaching and management. with our HC, Ballards drafting skills, and a generational talent @ QB... the 2020s could be ours. I get a team like the Chiefs got Mahomes at 10. but do you realize how rare that is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Browns were also tanking because they had horrible coaching and management.

 

Horrible coaching and management and the tanking mentality seem to go hand in glove.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Stoney said:

yeahhhh… about that. you ever heard of the Pacers? they tend to believe in not tanking. and whats it get them? right in the middle ever year. just good enough to make the playoffs and get bounced, and miss out on every single generational star, every single year.

 

pacers are a different story, they are the only team in the NBA that hasnt picked in the top 5 since the 80s.  

 

colts have picked #1 overall 3 or 4 times since then 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dare you guys go tell Leonard, Nelson, TY, Ballard and Reich that we should tank. They would laugh at you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

pacers are a different story, they are the only team in the NBA that hasnt picked in the top 5 since the 80s.  

 

because they refuse to tank. theyre too prideful. even when they know their team is only average at best, they still try to overachieve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have some fricken spine. The idea of tanking is for losers.....

 

......literally.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stoney said:

because they refuse to tank. theyre too prideful. even when they know their team is only average at best, they still try to overachieve. 

i do think they should have tanked, but not the colts now

 

the pacers had nothing to play for this year after victor went down, all of our FAs left anyway and they didnt even play the young guys very much lmao.  total waste of a season, they had their eyes on a sweep the whole time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I dare you guys go tell Leonard, Nelson, TY, Ballard and Reich that we should tank. They would laugh at you.

who cares. if they want to get 7 wins and miss out on both the playoffs, and all the best QB prospects than so be it. pride is both important and a detriment at times. we should tank for a better future. if current players want to compete, they can ask for a trade to a team that has a realistic shot at winning something. we're not it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 9:41 PM, Luck 4 president said:

Is Scott Tolzien available? He’s the man for the job if we want that #1 pick in 2021

How about Curtis painter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Have some fricken spine. The idea of tanking is for losers.....

 

......literally.

lol however you choose to look at it. pride has been known to be detrimental. sometimes it takes more of a man to swallow their pride. its like if some dude is getting cooked out on the court, but he has too much pride to switch and ultimately makes his team lose. hundreds more examples of ways that pride hurts the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stoney said:

lol however you choose to look at it. pride has been known to be detrimental. sometimes it takes more of a man to swallow their pride. its like if some dude is getting cooked out on the court, but he has too much pride to switch and ultimately makes his team lose. hundreds more examples of ways that pride hurts the team.

lol. You use the term pride? Like those players, coaches, and the owner don't have pride in winning? 

 

I cannot fathom your intent here. There is not a single good thing to be had from losing sporting contests on purpose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

lol. You use the term pride? Like those players, coaches, and the owner don't have pride in winning? 

 

I cannot fathom your intent here. There is not a single good thing to be had from losing sporting contests on purpose. 

yeah bud, refusing to tank so you can get a generational talent, as opposed to overachieving when you know your roster is lacking the most important position in the sport, that's called letting pride control you. tends to be a male problem more than anything. it doesn't make you weak, it doesn't make you a loser. it makes you smart if anything. take a loss for one season, and reap the benefits of landing a top QB for the next 10 - 20 years. as opposed to your plan of trying to overachieve and putting us in the middle of the pack for years, just like the Pacers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread just proves how spoiled colt fans have been with Luck and Manning. You don’t need a generational talent to win a SB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

lol. You use the term pride? Like those players, coaches, and the owner don't have pride in winning? 

 

I cannot fathom your intent here. There is not a single good thing to be had from losing sporting contests on purpose. 

we tanked for Luck. and guess what? it made us consistent contenders, and we would be winning a SB in the near future if he didn't retire. nobody cares about that 2011 season. and if we overachieved in 2011 the only thing that would happen is we would've missed out on Luck. nobody would care about the 2011 season any more than they do now if they won 6 games instead of 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

You all know that's 2 years away right?

yes. everybody knows. defense in 2020. Trevor in 2021. or maybe Tua in 2020. either way, id be trading TY and talents like him at that age away for draft capital while theyre still worth something. its better that way for both sides. by the time we get a new QB and the game slows down for the new QB, TY will be washed.

Just now, ThorstenDenmark said:

How much would it cost to trade from lets say nr 14-15 spot, to get Lawrence?

 

 

everything lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer that the Colts rise up, prove all the naysayers wrong, and win the SB.  This tank talk, utter nonsense not in my blood.  This thread now put on ignore. lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

How much would it cost to trade from lets say nr 14-15 spot, to get Lawrence?

 

 

it would be a lot when TL is there.  probably too much, more than the RG3 trade 

 

depends on who gets the pick too, some teams probably wont trade it at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the obvious play is to implement the double-secret "T3" plan -- Tank Twice for Trevor! We go with Jacoby, giving us a 6-10 or 7-9 season, putting us in the middle of the draft pack. Then trade that 2020 first round pick for some bad team's future first round pick in 2021. Then tank again -- probably another 6-10 or 7-9 season would do it -- bundle those two first-rounders, maybe even toss in a second round pick, and trade up with the team picking first. Then we grab Trevor Lawrence with that first pick in 2021 -- and voila! -- Colts are a SB contender for years to come! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Had Funchess been practing? I thought he had to practice for two weeks before being able to come back?
    • Oh you were right on that one.  I still won, but I missed out on having highest score of the week by .32 points.  Our league pays out for highest weekly scores. 
    • I think there's a danger with any position of getting enamoured with the 40 time, I'd put 3 cone over it certainly. However, as always never go by just one metric, and never put metrics over film.    For all that was written about him being a below average athlete, if you compare  him to some of the 'good' SS's in the league he matches up pretty well:   Willis 4.55s (40)/7.15s (3 Cone) Collins 4.53s (40)/7.53s (3 Cone) Chancellor 4.69s (40)/7.36s (3 Cone) Jones  4.51s (40)/7.43s (3 Cone)  Adams  4.56s (40)/6.96s (3 Cone)    etc etc... 
    • CeeDee Lamb would be the dream pick imo. Reminds me a lot of Hopkins/Thomas, good size, great route runner and hands. Means he could take on a high volume of targets in the short/intermediate range, something I think Frank Reich badly needs (that's why he was high on signing Funchess). Put him on the boundary opposite Hilton and Campbell in the slot and we have serious options. Not as high on Ruggs when we already have Hilton.   I like Mack as a lead back, but not 25 carries a game. I would prefer a legit RB2 to take some of that load off him, preferably a RB to compliments his game, so a heavier, more physical, north/south RB. This draft has options in the mid round.
    • Here's where I think Kelly 'fans' are distressed. To your point we don't know Kelly...fair.  So what do we know.  We know he can run, dude's fast.  We know he has a strong arm, like that.  We know he'll throw downfield and into tight windows, good!  We know he will stand in the pocket, check. We know he has the stuff to go into Alabama with an Ole Miss team and beat em, that no small thing. We also know he has off-field issues maybe he's grown up, don't know but we hear good things from Frank.  So to someone like me, I like what I see and like what I hear...Rally confused.   Here's what we know about Hoyer, he has none of those physical attributes but he's good in the QB room.  Ok, well, I'm good in QB room but you wouldn't want me under center.  There's an obvious hesitation here on the part of Frank and/or Chris to make Kelly a part of the permanent roster, they will likely cut him again and hope he clears waivers over Hoyer, that to me is absolutely stunning.  Either, Kelly is an off the field nightmare we shouldn't be investing in OR he should be at worst QB2. Hoyer is simply not good, we can get his level of performance literally anywhere, he's the prototypical failed backup and those are readily available on the cheap. I wouldn't understand keeping him over a contract when he weakens the team relative to someone like Kelly on game day.  So to a previous posters comment, why is Kelly here?  If he is such an integrity issue it's not our job to make a man out of him while he occupies a spot.  If he's is good enough physically, which he is, and he's on this roster, which he is, he should stay up and get some first team reps, as all back ups should and see how matures.  It starting to feel like some ego at play here.  All in all, our leadership was ill-prepared to deal with Brissett going down and choked this week in prep.  It's my hope we dump Hoyer who is useless and keep Kelly at QB2, I don't think that will happen.  My 2+ cents.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...