Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time to Tank for Lawrence

Luck 4 president

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

there is talk about Trevor challenging the ruling in court about him being draft eligible in 2020 instead of 2021. odds aren't in his favor to win tho.

I don't want a QB that didn't finish college. Andrew Luck had a chance to finish and he didn't, same as Justin Herbert who is going to be in the upcoming draft, but sadly we won't have a good enough pick to take him.

49 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

I don't want a QB that didn't finish college. Andrew Luck had a chance to finish and he didn't, same as Justin Herbert who is going to be in the upcoming draft, but sadly we won't have a good enough pick to take him.

Luck did finish and graduate. That’s why he missed some of the rookie OTAs that year...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaptainColt12 said:

Luck graduated from Stanford in 2012.   

Sorry.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 12:37 AM, Stoney said:

there is talk about Trevor challenging the ruling in court about him being draft eligible in 2020 instead of 2021. odds aren't in his favor to win tho.

That rule was already challenged in court a while ago by Maurice Clarett.   He lost.

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2019 at 9:52 PM, IndySouthsider said:

Right. Who wants to suck for two years?

And by then TY & AC may decide to hang it up, other current players may have moved on to play for a winner and we'd be sitting there with an unproven young QB while in yet another rebuild.  I don't ever want us to be developing a young QB again without enough talent around him that he can't succeed.

Beyond that, no high draft pick is ever a sure thing.  Luck and RG3 were supposed to be generational talents and neither will live up to full expectations.

A very very slight, barely visible silver-lining - we are playing a very hard schedule this year. 6-10 or even 5-11 isn't too hard to imagine, IMO. 

Like we've seen many times before, we will appreciate just how good Luck was when he's gone and we have to compare what he used to give us with what a player like Brissett, who many think is a top 30QB, can give us. 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

A very very slight, barely visible silver-lining - we are playing a very hard schedule this year. 6-10 or even 5-11 isn't too hard to imagine, IMO. 

Like we've seen many times before, we will appreciate just how good Luck was when he's gone and we have to compare what he used to give us with what a player like Brissett, who many think is a top 30QB, can give us. 

I don't think having a losing record is a silver lining.   We have lots of good young players.  I won't root for losing until we are out of playoff contention.  It's not like the season before we drafted Luck.   The team was bad at that time.   

• Like 2

On 8/25/2019 at 1:33 AM, Chloe6124 said:

Let’s see what JB can do before cutting his head off. We do have draft capital to move up for a QB.

Totally agree...… I may be in the minority with this point of view ( And some may think I am dumb ) but I will give up on this season when I see some of our players like Nelson or TY or Darius Leonard give up on the season .

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I don't think having a losing record is a silver lining.   We have lots of good young players.  I won't root for losing until we are out of playoff contention.  It's not like the season before we drafted Luck.   The team was bad at that time.   

It's better to be out of the playoffs at 5-11 than to be out of the playoffs at 8-8 with our QB situation right now. I really REALLY fear we will choose to tie ourselves to mediocre QB long-term. This would be much worse outcome than having a 5-11 season and being in good position to get our next QB in the draft. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's better to be out of the playoffs at 5-11 than to be out of the playoffs at 8-8 with our QB situation right now. I really REALLY fear we will choose to tie ourselves to mediocre QB long-term. This would be much worse outcome than having a 5-11 season and being in good position to get our next QB in the draft. 

Yes, but Brissett is good enough to lead this team to the playoffs.   It could happen.  Also, a drafted QB could fail.  I think some fans are spoiled in thinking a Colts QB drafted in round one will be a Luck/Manning type.   

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yes, but Brissett is good enough to lead this team to the playoffs.   It could happen.  Also, a drafted QB could fail.  I think some fans are spoiled in thinking a Colts QB drafted in round one will be a Luck/Manning type.   

If Brissett is good enough to get us to the playoffs this year he might be good enough in the long-run and I might be OK with keeping him. The problem is I don't think he's good enough to do it... but oh well... like I said in another thread - I'm willing to give him the full season to prove one way or another. I just don't want to be stuck in the middle. 

You are right people are spoiled around here with Manning/Luck type of generational QB play. I don't expect that. I don't think it's realistic to expect that from a draft pick. I think our goal should be acquiring a QB who is good enough to take us to the SB in due time. You don't need to be generational type of player to do that. Darnold/Mahomes/Watson are the types I'm thinking about - none of them were thought of as generational types and their teams traded up to get them. We need to be in position to be able to trade up for a player we've scouted and identified as a player with good enough traits/skill profile that our coaches will be able to develop into a winning QB.

Of course nothing is guaranteed in this game... but I would prefer not guaranteed, but very possible high end QB over a guaranteed mediocrity at QB. 

We all don't know if JB balls out or a new drafted qb will be the deal. Maybe it's Chad Kelly?! 

I remember a guy who was drafted in the 6th round and did quite well at qb(i admit, even we don't like that guy) .... And then there was that other guy (you can insert more than one name here) that got drafted 2nd (or 1st)overall and barely couldn't throw a stone into the water standing right at the beach..... 

I think tanking isn't the right thing to do. To get your franchise qb, you have to be lucky. And we have to trust CB. I do.... 

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The players reaction to Brissett today says it all. They are excited to see what he can do. They love  him and that is half the battle. In a weird way this removes the uncertainty of Luck and the team can move forward. It actually might help them get more focused now.

If nothing else the team will be able to practice with their starting QB now - should allow good cohesion over having a guy that only practices part time.

BTW - does anyone know if Brissett or Kelly likes to snowboard?