Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oddities about 12 and health.

Jackie Daytona

Luck has proven he's plenty capable and willing to play through pain.... No one who's watched his career can doubt this.  

What I can't understand, and it's admittedly complicated by the fact no one knows for certain how he hurt his ankle, let alone when.... Is why is Luck apparently without any sense of urgency when it comes to his own injuries or rehab during the off-season?

I don't mean he should rush through rehab or healing processes, but if I'm not wrong, this is the second time in his career he's had an entire off-season to fix an issue that was "rumored" to have been caused early in the off-season, in non football related activity, and he's just seemingly waited around until late in the off-season to address the health issue... It's like he always opts to just rest it and hope it gets better, which is fine.... Surgery or other measures are always a last resort... And then it gets worse, or is reinjured.... I guess he just seems way less proactive when dealing with injuries.

I dunno, it just seems odd, and it's a subject that no one really mentions or tries to address.  Dude has every right to snowboard, cliff dive, whatever he wants in his off-season and free time, but he seems to be the only guy who comes down with "snowboarding" injuries in August that then linger and bleed over into the preseason or early season...

Sorry for rambling.... Too much coffee today lol

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I still believe the calf was healed and he injured the ankle on that third day of practice. I don’t think he had the ankle issue popped up until camp.

That's what I mean with the whole, "no one knows when/what happened". We have no right to know, but it's the source of all the angst and speculation.... Seems so easy to just be rid of it.  "I tweaked my ankle third day of practice, not too severe, but it's high on the ankle"

That would have been divulged I feel, as it almost always is when a player hurts something in organized team activities.... 

Why the mystery around this one?  They have had no problem confirming injuries in the past, kidney, ribs, other players....  But when it's Luck, AND in the off-season....that combination is seemingly always treated differently.  Just an observation.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Andrew is in the drivers seat as to what medical info is released. They can’t release anything without his permission.

while that is true, I'm sure owner/GM/Coach all have input and at minimum massage the messaging... 

the fact that Irsay blurted out the little bone thing tells me either Luck is fine with disclosure, or Irsay was inebriated and split the beans.

7 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

while that is true, I'm sure owner/GM/Coach all have input and at minimum massage the messaging... 

the fact that Irsay blurted out the little bone thing tells me either Luck is fine with disclosure, or Irsay was inebriated and split the beans.

I say Irsay was drunk lol. They were joking on one of the radio shows they were anticipating what irsay will say in the press box Sat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

Luck has proven he's plenty capable and willing to play through pain.... No one who's watched his career can doubt this.  

What I can't understand, and it's admittedly complicated by the fact no one knows for certain how he hurt his ankle, let alone when.... Is why is Luck apparently without any sense of urgency when it comes to his own injuries or rehab during the off-season?

I don't mean he should rush through rehab or healing processes, but if I'm not wrong, this is the second time in his career he's had an entire off-season to fix an issue that was "rumored" to have been caused early in the off-season, in non football related activity, and he's just seemingly waited around until late in the off-season to address the health issue... It's like he always opts to just rest it and hope it gets better, which is fine.... Surgery or other measures are always a last resort... And then it gets worse, or is reinjured.... I guess he just seems way less proactive when dealing with injuries.

I dunno, it just seems odd, and it's a subject that no one really mentions or tries to address.  Dude has every right to snowboard, cliff dive, whatever he wants in his off-season and free time, but he seems to be the only guy who comes down with "snowboarding" injuries in August that then linger and bleed over into the preseason or early season...

He did admit that he skipped steps rehabbing his shoulder the first time.
  Taking his healing powers for granted it seemed.
It does seem unusual to have something like this going on for 3-4 months.
But what do we know?

2 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I don't think Irsay is self-conscious enough to intentionally blurt out things. He just can't shut his mouth up. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Yeah, I hope Irsay talks during halftime tomorrow night. I'm sure he'll let something slip out..lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Everything has just been weird. I don’t even have a feeling of how this season will go.  Training camp has just seemed off. Although I admit this is really the first camp I have ever followed. If the season goes like the luck situation expect the unexpected.  

Yeah, it's ruined the training camp excitement for the season for me. I went from extremely excited to not excited at all with the season coming up with this Luck situation. If Luck can't play or is really rusty there's no way we get off to a good start and if he does play how long can he play with the pain? What if he gets hit around the ankle will he be out for the season? The lack of transparency is ridiculous because Luck makes huge money and guess where that money comes from the fans. The fans who can only dream of having that kind of money. Then were left out in the dark on how bad or what caused the injury. We the fans who pay these outrageous salaries to these superstars threw tickets sales and viewer ships. We should know exactly what the issue is because we our the customer without us there is no NFL and absolutely no millionaire players. If players were told that if they didn't tell they'd get there money taken away believe me we'd be fully informed. To me the secrecy is maybe to get a competitive edge but believe me the Chargers are preparing as if Luck is playing. I'm sorry I'm done rambling. 

• Like 2

I understand you don’t want every little injury to be out  there. But if there is something that could keep a player out they need to be more up front. Everyone already knows it’s a ankle. It’s taped there is no hiding it. The chargers are preparing for Luck so they aren’t going to change that just because the colts are being quiet. If he has a stress fracture is it so hard to say we hope he will be back but just aren’t sure. That can be a 6 to 8 week recovery.  It’s just all weird because the actual diagnosis is being with held. I wish Luck and the team would be more up front about things. If it wasn’t for irsay we would still be saying it’s the calf. No one believed that because it was taking so long. 

We have a game in 2 weeks. It’s a complete mystery what is going on. They were saying on the talk shows today how stupid it will look if he doesn’t play after that public display of doing drills. The defense should be good but if the offense can’t stay on the field it isn’t going to be as good as it could be. Just going to be interesting how this team starts no matter who is at QB.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

The lack of transparency is ridiculous because Luck makes huge money and guess where that money comes from the fans. The fans who can only dream of having that kind of money. Then were left out in the dark on how bad or what caused the injury. We the fans who pay these outrageous salaries to these superstars threw tickets sales and viewer ships. We should know exactly what the issue is because we our the customer

While I get the sentiment, I can't say I agree with you, consuming a product only entitles you to so much, and that doesn't include another human beings medical information, no matter how much of his salary you think you pay.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

While I get the sentiment, I can't say I agree with you, consuming a product only entitles you to so much, and that doesn't include another human beings medical information, no matter how much of his salary you think you pay.  

I bet Irsay knows

10 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I always wonder what the strength & condition staff is doing or neglecting to do. No, I don't have a degree in sports medicine, but I do wonder why vital starters continue to be snake bitten I guess. I know; I know sometimes the NFL gods just pile on a player for no good reason. 

Luck knows his body & I firmly believe INDY will be alright when the games matter. As @PrincetonTiger always says: "Everything will be okay." 

Nice writeup though Shafty. The whole thing not just the paragraph I quoted. :hat:

• Like 3

On 8/23/2019 at 7:58 PM, superrep1967 said:

The lack of transparency is ridiculous because Luck makes huge money and guess where that money comes from the fans. The fans who can only dream of having that kind of money.{snip for later} We the fans who pay these outrageous salaries to these superstars threw tickets sales and viewer ships.

Yes, but it's a large collection of fans, most of them that are not Colts fans. Everyone is laser focused on their one little segment as if the whole concurs.  Seems the opposite of those that won millions in a class action lawsuit, and later find out their particular 'cut' is only $1.09

(Darn, a reference in the Jerk surfaced!)

Then were left out in the dark on how bad or what caused the injury.

We should know exactly what the issue is because we our the customer without us there is no NFL and absolutely no millionaire players.

No, we shouldn't. Not any more than I / we need to know (or deserve)  the medical history of my / our favorite drive up window attendant (or whatever on blank line here).  Even though I'm paying the business, which pays the employee, for supplying a service (and/or product). It's true in both cases.  Luck's and the drive through attendants medical charts/info/conversations is protected information and off limits to most.

On 8/23/2019 at 1:22 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Andrew is in the drivers seat as to what medical info is released. They can’t release anything without his permission.

For the most part. However, his employer (not the paying customers of the employer) is entitled to the information.  Problem is, most employers do not know the detailed medical jargon, so they just want to know prognosis and timeline (which is always given in vague ranges, for good reason).   Go beyond that then you get a guy saying

“It’s a bone—I’m not good at these things, but it’s called mo-something else—but it’s a small little bone,”

(sorry J.I.)

instead of Os Trigonum. Which I really feel was communicated to the team but also mentioned was not actually the root cause (based upon other information trickling out). This is why you can't expect Team owners, front office, or coaches to relay detailed medical info.  Their expertise lies elsewhere, not healthcare/medicine.  I don't saddle people with burdens of expertise in areas they are not trained in, just in those areas they are.

And the healthcare professionals that can explain with good accuracy and detail, (covered entities and business associates) are prohibited to disclose it. And sometimes it isn't understood by the receiving party anyway.

For those needing a refresher on exactly what the NFL policy on injury and reporting is, you can find it here-

https://operations.nfl.com/media/2683/2017-nfl-injury-report-policy.pdf

These are the only mandated items to be reported. Anything more is gravy.

On 8/23/2019 at 9:30 AM, Shafty138 said:

Why are you writing this as if it's a well know, well accepted fact by all here?

In fact,  I have no idea what proof of this you think you have?     None of us have any idea what Luck does in the off-season.    Yet you think Luck is doing very little about his injuries until it's almost too late.

You have no information to support this position.   You, me, and the rest of us,  have a small bit of infomation,  and the rest,  is the 90% of information that none of us knows.    And yet,  you've jumped to a whole series of conclusions.    And I think there is no basis for any of these conclusions.

Look,  I appreicate that Luck's injuries are frustrating.   And I appreicate that this year's injury is even more frustrating because we all hoped his injuries were behind him.    And this one is shrouded in mystery.   But that's all that Luck and the team are willing to reveal.     We all need to get past that.

He may not be ready for week 1.    And it may cost us a win.    But hopefully he'll be ready for the other 15 games of the regular season.    And if he can play at close to Andrew Luck level,  he'll be able to lift the Colts to the playoffs again. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why are you writing this as if it's a well know, well accepted fact by all here?

In fact,  I have no idea what proof of this you think you have?     None of us have any idea what Luck does in the off-season.    Yet you think Luck is doing very little about his injuries until it's almost too late.

Oh It's definitely conjecture, I just wasn't as clear as I should have been. My confusion is admittedly based off of the ideas/rumors that he's had this, and other past injuries or complications early or in the middle of offseasons, some say he was hurt in the KC game even... True, who knows when he hurt whatever he hurt.... Just no way to know for sure 

• Like 1