Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Linebacking Corps

Scott Pennock

Amidst all the doom and gloom with who will start, who won't start, etc., etc., etc.....

I had this weird idea of combining two defensive schemes together and wondered what it would look like - with a twist of course!

Mesh a 3-4 alignment with a 4-3 Cover 2 or Cover 3.

Here's twist though - 6 of the 8 defensive lineman on the roster would be 300+ pounders to eat up blockers snd push the pocket while 2 of them would be UT's like Autry or Ward to bring in at each end for passing downs. So the FO would have revamp the defensive line in the draft and free agency - but all the other pieces are in place.

Here's the other twist - we run out the likes of Leonard - Okereke - Walker - Houston with Turay, Banogu, Speed and Green as our primary back-ups. Each one fast as lightening, uses their long arms and length to defeat blocks and all but Walker have shown the ability to blitz. So the FO would continue to have to find these body types.

Unconventional for sure as you're relying on all oversized lineman and all undersized linebackers. Eberflus can zone blitz one of those LB's virtually every down depending on the formation. Or if a LB is left free they can rush on their own.....

Consider into the equation how long and lengthy our secondary is too now with the ability to play man across the board with Desir, Wilson, Rock, Moore and perhaps even Tell. A ballhawking FS in Hooker allows the SS to roam a bit.

Just a bit of Friday morning musings....

• Thanks 1

I think there will be some 3-4 packages implemented situationally because of Justin Houstons flexibility and also Banagou playing mostly standing up in College from the edge. We have the personnel to do some looks like that. I think Turay did some standing up in college also.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, J@son said:

After you had that weird idea, did you hop in the Delorean and go back in time to sell it to Pete Carroll?

:P

Did he do this before? I mean, specifically with huge lineman and speedy linebackers?

Serious question as I thought he was always a 4-3 guy?

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I think there will be some 3-4 packages implemented situationally because of Justin Houstons flexibility and also Banagou playing mostly standing up in College from the edge. We have the personnel to do some looks like that. I think Turay did some standing up in college also.

Banogu and Green were stand-up linebackers and Turay was a 3-4 OLB at Rutgers.

I am just wondering if that type of front would work in todays NFL?

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Did he do this before? I mean, specifically with huge lineman and speedy linebackers?

Serious question as I thought he was always a 4-3 guy?

He's run a hybrid 4-3/3-4 for many years.  He calls it a 4-3 but with 3-4 personnel, which is basically what you were describing. Dallas began running a similar scheme a couple of years ago and Eberflus was there during that time so I always expected him to eventually bring similar concepts here. :)

btw I also wanted to say thank you for taking my post in the spirit in which it was attended...as just some friendly teasing. :D

• Like 2

I'm perfectly fine with whatever works. I don't want to be so exotic or outside the norm that we end up with a bunch of tweeners.

We're in 4-2-5 more than anything else it seams, and I'm not sure that changes this year given the QBs/teams we'll face. I don't really care how the front 4 is staffed, as long as it gets to the QB and stops the run. I don't care if they shift sometimes to 4-3-4 with a DE as a SAM as long as it works.

Just wins please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J@son said:

He's run a hybrid 4-3/3-4 for many years.  He calls it a 4-3 but with 3-4 personnel, which is basically what you were describing. Dallas began running a similar scheme a couple of years ago and Eberflus was there during that time so I always expected him to eventually bring similar concepts here. :)

btw I also wanted to say thank you for taking my post in the spirit in which it was attended...as just some friendly teasing. :D

Interesting and it obviously has been successful in the league (with the right personnel).

I posted the thread for amusement and dialogue, so that is how I interpreted your response as well!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I'm perfectly fine with whatever works. I don't want to be so exotic or outside the norm that we end up with a bunch of tweeners.

We're in 4-2-5 more than anything else it seams, and I'm not sure that changes this year given the QBs/teams we'll face. I don't really care how the front 4 is staffed, as long as it gets to the QB and stops the run. I don't care if they shift sometimes to 4-3-4 with a DE as a SAM as long as it works.

Just wins please.

I agree. Was just thinking out loud and was completely ignorant that this was kinda the premise to Pete Carroll's defensive philosophy.

44 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I agree. Was just thinking out loud and was completely ignorant that this was kinda the premise to Pete Carroll's defensive philosophy.

So you had an Al Gore moment :-)

I do wish we would have grabbed a space eater in the draft....

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Banogu and Green were stand-up linebackers and Turay was a 3-4 OLB at Rutgers.

I am just wondering if that type of front would work in todays NFL?

I'm expecting some 3-4 looks at times. All of our DE have experience in that scheme from the draft picks to the FA Sheard and Houston. 

3 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

So you had an Al Gore moment :-)

I do wish we would have grabbed a space eater in the draft....

I think that will priority number 1 during cut down day. 

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm expecting some 3-4 looks at times. All of our DE have experience in that scheme from the draft picks to the FA Sheard and Houston. 

I hope so, just for a new wrinkle for opposing offenses!