Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Caleb3502

Gil Brandt: Most, Least Enviable QB Situations in 2019

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Caleb3502 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001043284/article/ranking-nfls-most-least-enviable-quarterback-situations-in-19

 

Colts come in with the 6th best QB situation.  Titans, Patriots, Saints, Giants, Chiefs are the top 5 respectively.  I think our QB situation is better than the Titans and Giants.  

 

I'm drawing a blank. Who is the Pats' backup QB? Or the Chiefs' backup? I guess I should click on the article. 

 

I think the Saints have the best. But I'm biased. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Gil Brandt hadn't proven himself to be one of the top football talent evaluators over the last 59 years, and a Hall of Fame inductee because of it, I'd snicker at this too. However, count me as one slightly raised eyebrow perplexed.

 

I guess this shows he loves Brady and Mahomes, feels Luck and Mariota are too frail with Tannehill being better than  Brissett.  I am with him that Daniel Jones can be good and has lit a new fire under Eli Manning (who I think will show a nice rebound this year while teaching Jones the ropes).

 

It's just an article.  Still, it's not one from an unknown blogger.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

titans at number 1 is a joke, i would take ours in a landslide over theirs.  they should be about middle of the pack.  

 

he must be really high on Daniel jones to have the giants that high, i dont know much about him 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 9:43 PM, NFLfan said:

 

I'm drawing a blank. Who is the Pats' backup QB? Or the Chiefs' backup? I guess I should click on the article. 

 

I think the Saints have the best. But I'm biased. 

 

Jarret Stidham, and Brian Hoyer.  It will be highly interesting to see what BB does...  recently he more often has only kept 2, with exceptions (IE: Garoppolo and Brissett for one).  He once kept 4, and the 4th stringer made #2 (backup) next season, and supplanted the #1 later and has become arguably the best QB ever to play.

 

Ironically, Hoyer is the guy who made Belichick comfortable enough to go to only 2 QB's, and now Stidham might phase out Hoyer for that spot.

 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/wholl-be-tom-bradys-backup-a-quarterback-controversy-may-be-brewing-with-patriots/

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, aaron11 said:

titans at number 1 is a joke, i would take ours in a landslide over theirs.  they should be about middle of the pack.  

 

he must be really high on Daniel jones to have the giants that high, i dont know much about him 

I respect Gill Brandt but I agree, Titans aren't even top 10. He is way off with that one IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Jarret Stidham, and Brian Hoyer.  It will be highly interesting to see what BB does...  recently he more often has only kept 2, with exceptions (IE: Garoppolo and Brissett for one).  He once kept 4, and the 4th stringer made #2 (backup) next season, and supplanted the #1 later and has become arguably the best QB ever to play.

 

Ironically, Hoyer is the guy who made Belichick comfortable enough to go to only 2 QB's, and now Stidham might phase out Hoyer for that spot.

 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/wholl-be-tom-bradys-backup-a-quarterback-controversy-may-be-brewing-with-patriots/

 

I like the Eagles backup QB situation. I'm a big fan of Josh McCown. I would want him as a coach.

 

I don't like my QB situation. I recall that you liked Mannion coming out of college. (How do I remember that! Lol) I recall that you wanted the Colts to draft him to develop him. I think he will be our backup but I like Kyle Sloter better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I respect Gill Brandt but I agree, Titans aren't even top 10. He is way off with that one IMO.

 

Yeah, I am halfway down that road, yet I realize

 

Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, Robert Griffin III, Nick Foles. and Ryan Tannehill.  Same draft class. If you're not Luck or Wilson (or sometimes Cousins and Foles), you get overlooked. Because they aren't as good as Luck/Wilson. But they are still around while other QB's fade off the NFL map.

Ryan had bad spots but he was much better than Bortles, IMHO.

 

Tannehill_rollout.gif

 

Bottom 5 and other mediocre QB's can't make plays like this. (55 yards in the air going left on the run!)

 

Both Marcus and Ryan are both underrated as well  because of a few bad spots + injuries.  But I don't think they are near #1.  On a good day, maybe top 10.

 

As far as JB, he doesn't have a big body of work, and what he had  was average at best.  People blame the team, but then you have to do same for Tannehill/Dolphins, Mariota/Titans too.

 

Tannehill or Tyrod Taylor may be the best backups, IMHO,  Fitzmagic (if Rosen is starter) in the mix with JB. Below them are Teddy Bridgewater, Nick Mullens, and Case Keenum.  Then it drops off to the new unproven...  Daniel Jones, Josh Rosen, Drew Lock, Nate Sudfeld, and Will Grier.{EDIT: Mannion?} ..  then  the  career journeymen hanging on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

I like the Eagles backup QB situation. I'm a big fan of Josh McCown. I would want him as a coach.

 

I don't like my QB situation. I recall that you liked Mannion coming out of college. (How do I remember that! Lol) I recall that you wanted the Colts to draft him to develop him. I think he will be our backup but I like Kyle Sloter better. 

 

I did, for a pro set, pocket passing schemed offense.  Not sure how he fit on those other teams and what kind of development he got.  But I'd take him #3 after JB.  Maybe even over Chad Kelly, not sure there. So he will take the #2 spot on the Vikes, you think?

 

McCown is a mentor type guy.  Probably for Sudfeld once he returns.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 5:24 PM, Caleb3502 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001043284/article/ranking-nfls-most-least-enviable-quarterback-situations-in-19

 

Colts come in with the 6th best QB situation.  Titans, Patriots, Saints, Giants, Chiefs are the top 5 respectively.  I think our QB situation is better than the Titans and Giants.  

I wonder where he ranks the colts now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 1:36 PM, King Colt said:

I'm luvin' me some Chad Kelly.

Why. Love the way he torched 3rd stringers??

 

Chad Kelly wins the Blake Bortles pre-season MVP 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 11:41 AM, jvan1973 said:

I wonder where he ranks the colts now

 

He likes Jacoby, and heard him on his radio show last night he thinks Colts are still a possible 9 - 7 team with JB.  He is not enamored with what is behind JB at this time.  And his rankings were the #1 and #2 combo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

Why. Love the way he torched 3rd stringers??

 

Chad Kelly wins the Blake Bortles pre-season MVP 

What would you have him do, go 0-13 attempts?! Maybe lead the Colts to a preseason SB ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 9:17 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

If Gil Brandt hadn't proven himself to be one of the top football talent evaluators over the last 59 years, and a Hall of Fame inductee because of it, I'd snicker at this too. However, count me as one slightly raised eyebrow perplexed.

 

I guess this shows he loves Brady and Mahomes, feels Luck and Mariota are too frail with Tannehill being better than  Brissett.  I am with him that Daniel Jones can be good and has lit a new fire under Eli Manning (who I think will show a nice rebound this year while teaching Jones the ropes).

 

It's just an article.  Still, it's not one from an unknown blogger.

His crystal ball is pretty impressive for not putting the Colts higher. He would have egg on his face for sure had he made them his top pick!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Vikings have one of the least enviable QB situations -- Kirk Cousins and backup Sean Mannion.

 

I'm a patient fan and like continuity. I have been mostly happy with my GM's approach to team building except when it comes to QBs. They value drafting players and developing them rather than signing high-priced free agents. Except when it comes to QBs. They have drafted only one QB since Zimmer was hired. New England is winning Super Bowls nearly every year and they draft QBs every other year or so. The Vikings should be doing the same; otherwise they will continue to overspend on over-priced QBs.

 

Anyway, hopefully they draft a QB high next year no matter what happens this season. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The Vikings have one of the least enviable QB situations -- Kirk Cousins and backup Sean Mannion.

 

I'm a patient fan and like continuity. I have been mostly happy with my GM's approach to team building except when it comes to QBs. They value drafting players and developing them rather than signing high-priced free agents. Except when it comes to QBs. They have drafted only one QB since Zimmer was hired. New England is winning Super Bowls nearly every year and they draft QBs every other year or so. The Vikings should be doing the same; otherwise they will continue to overspend on over-priced QBs.

 

Anyway, hopefully they draft a QB high next year no matter what happens this season. 

I guess taking Captain Kirk in my 12 team Fantasy League is out of the question :funny:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

They have drafted only one QB since Zimmer was hired. New England is winning Super Bowls nearly every year and they draft QBs every other year or so. The Vikings should be doing the same; otherwise they will continue to overspend on over-priced QBs.

 

Anyway, hopefully they draft a QB high next year no matter what happens this season. 

 

I think you know I've been a fan of spending a 3rd round pick every few years on a developmental future starter that is your current backup.  And Insurance policy.  Folks were against it citing Luck is all we need and to fill holes with the picks.  Then luck suffered major injuries and missed lots of games over the years. 

 

We had to trade an underperforming 1st rd WR for a3rd QB, that had no time to learn the system, nor had protection.  I expect JB to be so much better, and like Ballard is really looking to find the best backup QB's for short and long term.

 

Best of Luck to Minnesota, and Cousins to putting on a winning form, not just stats.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Dude your logic is pretty flawed here.  You are saying that the only thing that matters is the QB.  Every other position is irrelevant.  You might no realize that is what you are saying, but that is what you are saying.
    • Nah, Manning doesn't cheat.  Those shipments of HGH were totes 100% for his wife, the fact that they were delivered while he was trying to squeeze one last season out of a nearly ruined spinal column at the time was a complete coincidence, honest.   But that was while he was a Bronco, right?  It doesn't suggest he did something while he was here. right?   Right?   I mean at least Luck did it the right way, when he went for "rehab" in Europe (which totally an definitely wasn't also HGH injections to accelerate recovery of his shoulder injury, no siree Bob!) he wasn't playing football at the time.  Even if he did it since he wasn't active it wasn't against the rules. Manning was active at the time "his wife" was caught buying HGH.   Just goes to show -- you'll be surprised what you'd find if you rolled away the secrecy in every single franchise.  The patriots had the curtains rolled back and we got to see all the cockroaches.  Pretending that they aren't there in every other franchise simply because no one else is exposed to the same scrutiny is foolish and absurd. That, and I'm not sure anyone actually proved that those footballs were actually deflated in the first place.  Air temperature affecting PSI is the sort of thing no fan of NASCAR should ever be ignorant of.    No one has ever in my presence rebutted the idea that the balls were low in PSI simply because they were cold.  
    • The Hooker think must have been someone else then.   The run game and protection should help JBs ability to throw downfield not hinder it.  As far as I know, no one here is necssarily hoping for high net passing yards.  I sure ain't.
    • For some reason some people can't tell the difference between a bad QB or an above average QB. JB isn't bad or below average, he is average at worse, but his stats and the teams record at 3-2 prove he is above average no matter how anyone wants to slice it. You do not win with a bad or below average QB, plain and simple. No team in the history of football has won with a bad or below average QB. That is common sense. The way some people post and nitpick JB's play, you would think we were 0-5 and he leads the league in INT's. It is utterly ridiculous the flack JB gets from some. Just my 2 FAT CENTS.
  • Members

    • anunnakidna

      anunnakidna 1

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • 2006Coltsbestever

      2006Coltsbestever 23,151

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • egg

      egg 791

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • cjrulli

      cjrulli 358

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Melancholie

      Melancholie 3

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Chloe6124

      Chloe6124 4,774

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • C0LT5

      C0LT5 113

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Douzer

      Douzer 1,020

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 5,663

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jth1985

      jth1985 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...