Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gil Brandt: Most, Least Enviable QB Situations in 2019

Caleb3502

4 hours ago, Caleb3502 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001043284/article/ranking-nfls-most-least-enviable-quarterback-situations-in-19

Colts come in with the 6th best QB situation.  Titans, Patriots, Saints, Giants, Chiefs are the top 5 respectively.  I think our QB situation is better than the Titans and Giants.  

I'm drawing a blank. Who is the Pats' backup QB? Or the Chiefs' backup? I guess I should click on the article. 

I think the Saints have the best. But I'm biased. 

If Gil Brandt hadn't proven himself to be one of the top football talent evaluators over the last 59 years, and a Hall of Fame inductee because of it, I'd snicker at this too. However, count me as one slightly raised eyebrow perplexed.

I guess this shows he loves Brady and Mahomes, feels Luck and Mariota are too frail with Tannehill being better than  Brissett.  I am with him that Daniel Jones can be good and has lit a new fire under Eli Manning (who I think will show a nice rebound this year while teaching Jones the ropes).

It's just an article.  Still, it's not one from an unknown blogger.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2019 at 9:43 PM, NFLfan said:

I'm drawing a blank. Who is the Pats' backup QB? Or the Chiefs' backup? I guess I should click on the article. 

I think the Saints have the best. But I'm biased. 

Jarret Stidham, and Brian Hoyer.  It will be highly interesting to see what BB does...  recently he more often has only kept 2, with exceptions (IE: Garoppolo and Brissett for one).  He once kept 4, and the 4th stringer made #2 (backup) next season, and supplanted the #1 later and has become arguably the best QB ever to play.

Ironically, Hoyer is the guy who made Belichick comfortable enough to go to only 2 QB's, and now Stidham might phase out Hoyer for that spot.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/wholl-be-tom-bradys-backup-a-quarterback-controversy-may-be-brewing-with-patriots/

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, aaron11 said:

titans at number 1 is a joke, i would take ours in a landslide over theirs.  they should be about middle of the pack.  

he must be really high on Daniel jones to have the giants that high, i dont know much about him 

I respect Gill Brandt but I agree, Titans aren't even top 10. He is way off with that one IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Jarret Stidham, and Brian Hoyer.  It will be highly interesting to see what BB does...  recently he more often has only kept 2, with exceptions (IE: Garoppolo and Brissett for one).  He once kept 4, and the 4th stringer made #2 (backup) next season, and supplanted the #1 later and has become arguably the best QB ever to play.

Ironically, Hoyer is the guy who made Belichick comfortable enough to go to only 2 QB's, and now Stidham might phase out Hoyer for that spot.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/wholl-be-tom-bradys-backup-a-quarterback-controversy-may-be-brewing-with-patriots/

I like the Eagles backup QB situation. I'm a big fan of Josh McCown. I would want him as a coach.

I don't like my QB situation. I recall that you liked Mannion coming out of college. (How do I remember that! Lol) I recall that you wanted the Colts to draft him to develop him. I think he will be our backup but I like Kyle Sloter better. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I respect Gill Brandt but I agree, Titans aren't even top 10. He is way off with that one IMO.

Yeah, I am halfway down that road, yet I realize

Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, Robert Griffin III, Nick Foles. and Ryan Tannehill.  Same draft class. If you're not Luck or Wilson (or sometimes Cousins and Foles), you get overlooked. Because they aren't as good as Luck/Wilson. But they are still around while other QB's fade off the NFL map.

Ryan had bad spots but he was much better than Bortles, IMHO.

Tannehill_rollout.gif

Bottom 5 and other mediocre QB's can't make plays like this. (55 yards in the air going left on the run!)

Both Marcus and Ryan are both underrated as well  because of a few bad spots + injuries.  But I don't think they are near #1.  On a good day, maybe top 10.

As far as JB, he doesn't have a big body of work, and what he had  was average at best.  People blame the team, but then you have to do same for Tannehill/Dolphins, Mariota/Titans too.

Tannehill or Tyrod Taylor may be the best backups, IMHO,  Fitzmagic (if Rosen is starter) in the mix with JB. Below them are Teddy Bridgewater, Nick Mullens, and Case Keenum.  Then it drops off to the new unproven...  Daniel Jones, Josh Rosen, Drew Lock, Nate Sudfeld, and Will Grier.{EDIT: Mannion?} ..  then  the  career journeymen hanging on.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I like the Eagles backup QB situation. I'm a big fan of Josh McCown. I would want him as a coach.

I don't like my QB situation. I recall that you liked Mannion coming out of college. (How do I remember that! Lol) I recall that you wanted the Colts to draft him to develop him. I think he will be our backup but I like Kyle Sloter better. 

I did, for a pro set, pocket passing schemed offense.  Not sure how he fit on those other teams and what kind of development he got.  But I'd take him #3 after JB.  Maybe even over Chad Kelly, not sure there. So he will take the #2 spot on the Vikes, you think?

McCown is a mentor type guy.  Probably for Sudfeld once he returns.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 5:24 PM, Caleb3502 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001043284/article/ranking-nfls-most-least-enviable-quarterback-situations-in-19

Colts come in with the 6th best QB situation.  Titans, Patriots, Saints, Giants, Chiefs are the top 5 respectively.  I think our QB situation is better than the Titans and Giants.  

I wonder where he ranks the colts now

On 8/25/2019 at 11:41 AM, jvan1973 said:

I wonder where he ranks the colts now

He likes Jacoby, and heard him on his radio show last night he thinks Colts are still a possible 9 - 7 team with JB.  He is not enamored with what is behind JB at this time.  And his rankings were the #1 and #2 combo.

On 8/23/2019 at 9:17 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

If Gil Brandt hadn't proven himself to be one of the top football talent evaluators over the last 59 years, and a Hall of Fame inductee because of it, I'd snicker at this too. However, count me as one slightly raised eyebrow perplexed.

I guess this shows he loves Brady and Mahomes, feels Luck and Mariota are too frail with Tannehill being better than  Brissett.  I am with him that Daniel Jones can be good and has lit a new fire under Eli Manning (who I think will show a nice rebound this year while teaching Jones the ropes).

It's just an article.  Still, it's not one from an unknown blogger.

His crystal ball is pretty impressive for not putting the Colts higher. He would have egg on his face for sure had he made them his top pick!

• Like 1

The Vikings have one of the least enviable QB situations -- Kirk Cousins and backup Sean Mannion.

I'm a patient fan and like continuity. I have been mostly happy with my GM's approach to team building except when it comes to QBs. They value drafting players and developing them rather than signing high-priced free agents. Except when it comes to QBs. They have drafted only one QB since Zimmer was hired. New England is winning Super Bowls nearly every year and they draft QBs every other year or so. The Vikings should be doing the same; otherwise they will continue to overspend on over-priced QBs.

Anyway, hopefully they draft a QB high next year no matter what happens this season. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The Vikings have one of the least enviable QB situations -- Kirk Cousins and backup Sean Mannion.

I'm a patient fan and like continuity. I have been mostly happy with my GM's approach to team building except when it comes to QBs. They value drafting players and developing them rather than signing high-priced free agents. Except when it comes to QBs. They have drafted only one QB since Zimmer was hired. New England is winning Super Bowls nearly every year and they draft QBs every other year or so. The Vikings should be doing the same; otherwise they will continue to overspend on over-priced QBs.

Anyway, hopefully they draft a QB high next year no matter what happens this season. 

I guess taking Captain Kirk in my 12 team Fantasy League is out of the question :funny:

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

They have drafted only one QB since Zimmer was hired. New England is winning Super Bowls nearly every year and they draft QBs every other year or so. The Vikings should be doing the same; otherwise they will continue to overspend on over-priced QBs.

I think you know I've been a fan of spending a 3rd round pick every few years on a developmental future starter that is your current backup.  And Insurance policy.  Folks were against it citing Luck is all we need and to fill holes with the picks.  Then luck suffered major injuries and missed lots of games over the years. 

We had to trade an underperforming 1st rd WR for a3rd QB, that had no time to learn the system, nor had protection.  I expect JB to be so much better, and like Ballard is really looking to find the best backup QB's for short and long term.

Best of Luck to Minnesota, and Cousins to putting on a winning form, not just stats.

• Thanks 1