Indianapolis Colts
csmopar

Roster Churn 8/20/19

17 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I was very high on James Williams in the draft. I think I had him as a... 4th rounder or something on my board. Very versatile back. Great catcher of the ball. Slippery runner. 

I have no idea why he's not on a team right now. It appears like he got cut by the Chiefs in June and have not had a team since then. There must be something that's stopping teams from signing him. I read an article that says he's got ADHD and has trouble learning complicated offensive concepts. Maybe that's why he's had trouble sticking on a team. 

• Like 2

Great catcher indeed. Not all that high on his rushing ability on the NFL level. If we didn't have Hines already, I'd be more interested. IIRC, his draft stock dropped after a pretty mediocre 40 time. He was fun to watch in college, but was in Leach's scheme. Not sure how that will translate to the NFL.

It's really feeling like we're following KC around, picking up all of their leftovers.... 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

It's really feeling like we're following KC around, picking up all of their leftovers.... 

Bill Polian did the same thing when he came here.  Brought in a lot of players from his previous teams:

Cornelius Bennett (Bills)

Chad Cota (Panthers)

Tyrone Poole (Panthers)

Jeff Burris (Bills)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Bill Polian did the same thing when he came here.  Brought in a lot of players from his previous teams:

Chad Cota (Panthers)

Tyrone Poole (Panthers)

Jeff Burris (Bills)

yup. wonder if the net gets wider as the years progress.

59 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Chad Cota (Panthers)

Tyrone Poole (Panthers)

Jeff Burris (Bills)

And that list is even longer.  Shawn King, Tito Wooten, Fred Lane... some LB but his name is slipping my mind but he got suspended.

It makes sense too, the GM has the best and most accurate scouting reports on those players.

A.Ware, M Young and Ja Williams, I'd wager at least one of these rookies makes at least the P.S maybe ative roster if Wilkins is hurt worse then we are hoping). I like Ware the most of these 3 but we shall see.

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

And that list is even longer.  Shawn King, Tito Wooten, Fred Lane... some LB but his name is slipping my mind but he got suspended.

It makes sense too, the GM has the best and most accurate scouting reports on those players.

I think he signed a LT from the Bills with an offer they couldn't match.  Will Wolford I believe. 

This guy looks like a clone of Nyheem, except a tad slower. Very productive out of the backfield and seems to run with a bit of authority. 

I suppose with Hill and the Mercale guy there in KC he was REALLY redundant. At least this gives us an option for a versatile option like Himes if he were to get hurt.

Plus he's got a cool nickname.....lol

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/james-williams?id=32195749-4c03-6341-6f6c-c94b1b156f32

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

This guy looks like a clone of Nyheem, except a tad slower. Very productive out of the backfield and seems to run with a bit of authority. 

I suppose with Hill and the Mercale guy there in KC he was REALLY redundant. At least this gives us an option for a versatile option like Himes if he were to get hurt.

Plus he's got a cool nickname.....lol

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/james-williams?id=32195749-4c03-6341-6f6c-c94b1b156f32

a lot slower. 4.58 vs 4.38

• Haha 1

"Plays with oily hips and slippery feet"

From his draft profile

OILY HIPS?????  

What the heck is that?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

a lot slower. 4.58 vs 4.38

Im not gonna look it up .... anyone know how much different they are in size?   He looks like he has more power running than Hines to me...  

I like the signing.  He will be the backup in a very useful position for the Colts.   I like the depth here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DerekDiggler said:

Im not gonna look it up .... anyone know how much different they are in size?   He looks like he has more power running than Hines to me...  

I like the signing.  He will be the backup in a very useful position for the Colts.   I like the depth here.

I wouldn't get too attached. He is practice depth. Would be a solid practice squad stash. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

From his draft profile

OILY HIPS?????  

What the heck is that?

You try to tackle him.   Williams makes a quick move and you slide right off him.   He avades the tackle.   Oily hips.    Best I can come up with.

7 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The same reason recruit the areas they know

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You try to tackle him.   Williams makes a quick move and you slide right off him.   He avades the tackle.   Oily hips.    Best I can come up with.

He is very compact in his movement and his change of direction is incredibly abrupt. Slides right on through a crease. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DerekDiggler said:

They are both 5'9" and 197-199ish

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

with backs 3 cone for me holds a lot of weight he's got some very quick rare shake to him. but he's not always looking for the edge he's slippery btw tackles very curious about this pick up. Might not be a this year sort of roster move i could see him on the PS roster for a year.

• Thanks 1

At the very least, he could be a solid PS stash. He may not have the top end speed of Hines, but he's elusive and has pretty quick acceleration after cuts and contact. He may not be a "home run hitter", but sometimes that's not the end all be all. My biggest concern is that I don't think a lot of the arm tackles he broke in college will be what he sees in the NFL. I'm excited to see him suit up though!

8 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

IIRC, almost the same weight. Hines me be one inch shorter. 

Like others have said, don't get too attached. He's a scheme guy (Leach), so big questions about how he might translate to the NFL. Most reviews I saw compared him to a change of pace back. Typically change of pace backs are faster. But who knows. Stranger things have happened. 

13 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

From his draft profile

OILY HIPS?????  

What the heck is that?

source.gif

LOL!

14 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

From his draft profile

OILY HIPS?????  

What the heck is that?

Ole Lance does get creative with his descriptions sometimes.

On 8/20/2019 at 6:00 PM, richard pallo said:

I think he signed a LT from the Bills with an offer they couldn't match.  Will Wolford I believe. 

Will Wolford was signed by the Colts in 1993.  I got his autograph the following year at Colts training camp.  He joined the Steelers in 1996, two years before Polian took the reins.  He was a huge guy.  I had to hold up my paper as high as I could reach to get his autograph!

Well that didn't last:

There must be something that just turns teams off of James Williams. Too bad, IMO he had very good talent.