Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tyquan Lewis the Defensive End

Scott Pennock

Much like they've done with Ben Banogu (given up on the SAM Spot) I wish the coaching staff would simply put Lewis in Sheards spot at defensive end and let him play there on 1st and 2nd downs and slide him inside on passing downs (as needed).

Our best starting lineup would be IMHO:

Houston - Turay - Phillips

Autry - Ward

Hunt - Stewart

Lewis - Muhammad - Banogu

When Sheard returns then slide him back in and alter the rotation a bit.

@krunk You with me on this?

Thoughts?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

Much like they've done with Ben Banogu (given up on the SAM Spot) I wish the coaching staff would simply put Lewis in Sheards spot at defensive end and let him play there on 1st and 2nd downs and slide him inside on passing downs (as needed).

Autry - Ward

Hunt - Stewart

Thoughts?

I don't think they view him as an end. And I'm not sure he's better than Muhammad at the end position. I need to see more of him inside before making much judgment. 

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don't think they view him as an end. And I'm not sure he's better than Muhammad at the end position. I need to see more of him inside before making much judgment. 

His sacks last year came from the defensive end position. 

It appears to me that he holds up better versus the run as an end versus an undertackle by either blowing past the RB in the backfield or getting pushed out of the play. 

Last year they put him there in place of Turay when he was injured/ineffective. Perhaps they will come to that collective thought process again?

• Like 1

Given up on Banogu playing SAM to move to DE is not really the same as having a guy play DE instead of DT. 

Lewis was just not effective as a DE (struggled against NFL OTs). And they drafted him to play DT...which they have been pretty clear on...even when he was activated lat year. That's where they think his burst and strength will play. Last season, he was forced into the DE role because of injuries. But enough guys are healthy (even without Sheard) and they have brought in Houston...so he's down the depth chart.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

His sacks last year came from the defensive end position. 

It appears to me that he holds up better versus the run as an end versus an undertackle by either blowing past the RB in the backfield or getting pushed out of the play. 

Last year they put him there in place of Turay when he was injured/ineffective. Perhaps they will come to that collective thought process again?

One came from DE...the other was at DT.

The first sack came on an inside stunt from the DE position...where he ended up 1-1 against a TE (Dalton Schultz)...and Lewis just overpowered him. Probably not going to get many of those opportunities. 

The second sack, however, came from the DT position...against former Colts Adam Redmond, who was filling in at LG for Zack Martin. This the type of play that we hope he can do from time to time...even if Redmond is a backup. He beats him off the snap and just shoves him to the side.

Tyquan looked fantastic in the few games he actually played in last year at DE. I feel like he's the type of player who can play both inside and out at the pro level. I understand why the Colts moved him inside but wouldn't be shocked if Eberflus moved him around on certain packages.

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Autry - Ward

Hunt - Stewart

Thoughts?

I think you have nailed what is going to happen

DT on 3rd down is perfect for the guy...... We need DE for downs 1 and 2 not named Turray

He was run over on run plays....... He is a perfect dedicated PASS rusher though and he could get 8-10 sacks in that role

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Autry - Ward

Hunt - Stewart

Thoughts?

I still like him at 3tech. We are going to rotate him between the two anyway. In the old livid Smith Tampa 2 my gut says Ballard thinks Tyquan comps to Henry Melton.

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Autry - Ward

Hunt - Stewart

Thoughts?

He’ll play both Inside and outside at end. He’s a very versatile guy.

I just hope we draft or acquire a quality iDL before next season. It feels like we have an overabundance of scheme guys and tweeners. Versatility is great, but tweeners are often only average or good at multiple positions, but not great at either. Valuable yes, but I'd love to have legit iDLs (and DEs).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, krunk said:

I still like him at 3tech. We are going to rotate him between the two anyway. In the old livid Smith Tampa 2 my gut says Ballard thinks Tyquan comps to Henry Melton.

Henry Melton - Bears - came into the league at 269, retired at 290

Raheem Brock - Colts - came into the league around 277 and pretty much stayed there

There doesn't seem to be a Tampa comparison though? That I recall at least?

Perhaps he'll successfully bulk up and still retain his speed/quickness?

8 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Henry Melton - Bears - came into the league at 269, retired at 290

Raheem Brock - Colts - came into the league around 277 and pretty much stayed there

There doesn't seem to be a Tampa comparison though? That I recall at least?

Perhaps he'll successfully bulk up and still retain his speed/quickness?

Let's just watch and see how they use him this year.  I think he'll be moved back and forth a lot because I know they aren't oblivious to the fact that he was a consistent 8 sack a year guy at DE when he was with OSU.  I think they are highly aware of what he can do at that spot.  On the flip side he's kind of strong to me based on some of the 3 tech clips I watched of him in college. He gets good penetration so I'm not that worried.  

Here's Ballards take below:

“He was a defensive end in college, but they also slid him down inside to the three (technique), and we ultimately think that’s going to be his best position in the system, as an upfield, disruptive three technique,” Ballard said. “When I was in Chicago, we had guys, prototypical and same build that (Lewis has) in Tommie Harris and Henry Melton, and we think he can develop into that same type of role. We’ll probably him both spots here early, because he does have some position flexibility.

https://mavensports.io/colts/news/when-can-colts-rookie-tyquan-lewis-make-his-nfl-debut-auqVBjb__kWUjq8LU*Q/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I just hope we draft or acquire a quality iDL before next season. It feels like we have an overabundance of scheme guys and tweeners. Versatility is great, but tweeners are often only average or good at multiple positions, but not great at either. Valuable yes, but I'd love to have legit iDLs (and DEs).

Not sure if you are talking about both UT and NT.  But we are more than set at UT.   Autry may lead the league in sacks at that position this yr.  And then there is Ward also very good.  Grover is good, but I could see the upgrade or depth being added at NT

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

Not sure if you are talking about both UT and NT.  But we are more than set at UT.   Autry may lead the league in sacks at that position this yr.  And then there is Ward also very good.  Grover is good, but I could see the upgrade or depth being added at NT

definitely talking more about NT.

I love Autry, but outside of him it feels like we have a bunch of good not great on the iDL.

it's going to be interesting to see how much adding Houston, raises the play of the entire DL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

definitely talking more about NT.

I love Autry, but outside of him it feels like we have a bunch of good not great on the iDL.

it's going to be interesting to see how much adding Houston, raises the play of the entire DL.

Agree .  Adding Houston will only make Autry that much better.  Houston may demand a double team leaving Autry more one on one and he could reak havoc in the backfield

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Agree .  Adding Houston will only make Autry that much better.  Houston may demand a double team leaving Autry more one on one and he could reak havoc in the backfield

While I hope the addition translates to more sacks, I'm hoping the added pressure also translates into more INTs. Going to need both sacks and INTs to peak this year given our opponents. I really just wish we had one more legit piece (NT or DE opposite Houston). I'm already looking forward to the 2020 draft :-)

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

While I hope the addition translates to more sacks, I'm hoping the added pressure also translates into more INTs. Going to need both sacks and INTs to peak this year given our opponents. I really just wish we had one more legit piece (NT or DE opposite Houston). I'm already looking forward to the 2020 draft :-)

I really hope Grover keeps building on the excellent camp he's had so far. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I really hope Grover keeps building on the excellent camp he's had so far. 

yup. he's been a bright spot in terms of development. hopefully we have some hidden gems or late bloomers on the 53. some guys (especially from smaller schools) just take longer to develop. I think Grover went to Albany State or something like that. Those places always don't have the best S&C programs, or best technique coaching. 

Sheard is definitely every bit of 268 he's been listed as.

Compared him with 6'3'' 255 lbs of Jamie Collins, he definitely looks slightly bigger and has a more "lineman" look than LB.

Tyquan Lewis weighs every bit of 277; out of college listed at 266, then 269 last year during the season. Doubt he's lost any weight at his age when the human body is still naturally growing muscle.

Houston though definitely looks like he's gained some weight since KC days, in anticipation of the move from 3-4 OLB to 4-3 DE.

On 8/19/2019 at 10:42 PM, Irish YJ said:

I couldn’t agree more. The Colts have a lot of project players on their roster. Lewis, Benogou, Tell, Ya-Sin, etc..

Personally, I don’t think Lewis is going to be anything more than average at best at DT. I’m not even sure he’ll be special at DE. The story at Ohio State was that he was recruited to play DE but basically started lining up on the interior because Nick Bosa, Sam Hubbard, and Chase Young we’re better. I stand to be proven young but the trend recently in the NFL is that those tweener/hybrid players never amount to too much ( see Shaq Thompson, Su’a Cravens, Hassan Reddick, etc...)

I feels his best position is situational 3rd down interior pass rusher.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I couldn’t agree more. The Colts have a lot of project players on their roster. Lewis, Benogou, Tell, Ya-Sin, etc..

Personally, I don’t think Lewis is going to be anything more than average at best at DT. I’m not even sure he’ll be special at DE. The story at Ohio State was that he was recruited to play DE but basically started lining up on the interior because Nick Bosa, Sam Hubbard, and Chase Young we’re better. I stand to be proven young but the trend recently in the NFL is that those tweener/hybrid players never amount to too much ( see Shaq Thompson, Su’a Cravens, Hassan Reddick, etc...)

I agree with Banogu and Tell, but I don't see Rock as a project. The kid is impressive and just needs a little time transitioning to our scheme. And I don't see it taking that long. He transitioned quickly when he transferred in college. Very confident he'll be one of 3 starting CBs by mid-season. He was already running with the 1s vs the Browns.

I agree on Lewis. Hope we're both wrong. At minimum though, he's solid depth even if we do get someone legit to take his place.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I agree with Banogu and Tell, but I don't see Rock as a project. The kid is impressive and just needs a little time transitioning to our scheme. And I don't see it taking that long. He transitioned quickly when he transferred in college. Very confident he'll be one of 3 starting CBs by mid-season. He was already running with the 1s vs the Browns.

I agree on Lewis. Hope we're both wrong. At minimum though, he's solid depth even if we do get someone legit to take his place.

Yeah I only put Rock because his specialty was press- man and he’s basically got zero zone experience. I’m sure he’ll pick it up though, but just in the definition of the word itself I see him as a “project”. Yeah we’ll see with Lewis. If he’s averaging the same amount of snaps as Grover Stewart and hasn’t jumped Ward by mid-season, I’d say hes starting to show a ceiling of just being a rotational DPR. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Personally, I don’t think Lewis is going to be anything more than average at best at DT. I’m not even sure he’ll be special at DE.

I don't look for him to do much at DT. He played really limited snaps on the interior, really only when they game was far out of hand. Much like here in Indy, there were much better guys on that interior at Ohio State. Tyquan didn't get many "meaningful" snaps inside. Even now he's going to get limited snaps inside because Autry, Hunt, and Ward as just better interior players. I still think he would be a good, cheap replacement, for Sheard, if they got him back down in the 260's. He's good against the run and may get a handful of sacks a year against average RT's. I still scratch my head on why they insist on doing what they are doing with him now.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

The story at Ohio State was that he was recruited to play DE but basically started lining up on the interior because Nick Bosa, Sam Hubbard, and Chase Young we’re better. I stand to be proven young but the trend recently in the NFL is that those tweener/hybrid players never amount to too much ( see Shaq Thompson, Su’a Cravens, Hassan Reddick, etc...)

Yea that's not the story. Him and J Bosa were the starting DE's until they left. Hubbard eventually took over for Bosa when he left and Chase was still sitting behind Tyquan, Nick, and Sam. Chase will be a stud though and I have no doubts he'll be a top-10 pick next year barring injury. 6-5 265 with stupid athleticism, and is equally as good against the run as he is rushing the passer.

Maybe they were thinking Tyquan could turn into a Michael Bennett-type, who can bounce inside and outside on the fly, but I just don't see him being that kind of guy. He wasn't overly athletic at 260'ish, so he's definitely going be hindered with another 10-15-20lbs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

This is where I am at as well. It’s still early...but he just didn’t show much last year (in my amateur view)...aside from a couple plays. Seemed to struggle getting around NFL caliber OTs. 

He had a stellar game against DAL...and I think a lot of people remember that vs. the overall season performance. PFF...for whatever it’s worth...graded him as a DE and had him near the very bottom...just too many plays where he wasn’t a factor.

I am hopeful that he can make some plays from the DT position

though...as part of the rotation. 

If only the Colts could combine Lewis’ strength and Turay’s athleticism into a single player. They could call him Jadeveon.