Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Character doesn’t matter??

coltsfeva

Yes I will take character over diva any day. All though Ebron has a big personality and likes to talk about himself he is always talking team first in interviews. He is always telling guys that he is proud  of them. Telling Brissett on that TD sat to trust him.  He is a great  teammate. Some  of the stuff that is going on with these other players is ridiculous.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

i would take zeke over mack.  AB has not done anything terrible though i can see why some people dont love every move hes made.  he really just wanted out of Pittsburgh

i would pass on ramasy.  he also has done nothing really wrong, but his trash talk gets tiring  

39 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

When I see some of the garbage going on with AB, Jalen Ramsey, Zeke, etc. I’m just really glad the Colts emphasize character.

No one is perfect and I can see a little diva in Ebron at times, but for the most part, the current team is a band of “team first” guys and I’ll take that anyday over guys primarily concerned about their “brand”.

I heard Rick Venturi say the Colts are overemphasizing character and making the point that “you don’t have to game plan for character”, but character was a big reason the Colts won 9 out of 10. Character is what keeps guys from pointing fingers, when adversity comes.

Give me TY over AB, Mack over Zeke and Desir over Ramsey.

Humility + talent > arrogance + talent. Human beings are at their best when they become a part of something bigger than themselves, be it a marriage, band, family, church or team.

Agree 100% . but I am not sure you put Zeke in that category.  He just wants to be paid better.  I can see his point.  Otherwise I think he has been a pretty good team guy.  Maybe Im wrong.  Gordon too

I sort of see where Venturi is coming from though. While you don’t want selfish players, you also don’t want to take inferior players just because they’ve got higher character. Tyrann Mathieu, Jadeveon Clowney, and Cam Newton are a couple players who had character issues coming out of college. All became great NFL players with virtually no major issues once they got in the league.

Its hard to avoid the AB’s of the world. The scouts do their homework and really vet the character of these guys. Who would have known a sixth round pick from Central Michigan would become the biggest Diva in football? Also possible the guy has BDP or something.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i would take zeke over mack.  AB has not done anything terrible though i can see why some people dont love every move hes made.  he really just wanted out of Pittsburgh

i would pass on ramasy.  he also has done nothing really wrong, but his trash talk gets tiring  

Quitting on your team isn't terrible? Really? It's the ultimate sin in team sports, and hes done it twice now. Dudes a straight up clown. I wouldn't take him for free.

There are guys you want to play with, and there are guys you want to beat. This * is definitely someone you should want to beat 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Quitting on your team isn't terrible? Really? It's the ultimate sin in team sports, and hes done it twice now. Dudes a straight up clown. I wouldn't take him for free.

There are guys you want to play with, and there are guys you want to beat. This * is definitely someone you should want to beat 

hes was not the only steeler that wanted out there and he hasnt quit on the raiders either

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

When I see some of the garbage going on with AB, Jalen Ramsey, Zeke, etc. I’m just really glad the Colts emphasize character.

No one is perfect and I can see a little diva in Ebron at times, but for the most part, the current team is a band of “team first” guys and I’ll take that anyday over guys primarily concerned about their “brand”.

I heard Rick Venturi say the Colts are overemphasizing character and making the point that “you don’t have to game plan for character”, but character was a big reason the Colts won 9 out of 10. Character is what keeps guys from pointing fingers, when adversity comes.

Give me TY over AB, Mack over Zeke and Desir over Ramsey.

Humility + talent > arrogance + talent. Human beings are at their best when they become a part of something bigger than themselves, be it a marriage, band, family, church or team.

Question, what’s the difference between EAGLES, Pats, and Colts?

i see that some folks are already upset!

but this is exactly my point. I’m not saying to bring on Aaron Hernandez, but if you have players that are outspoken or Alpha males on your team, just because they play with a chip on their shoulders doesn’t make them a distraction. Heck T. Brady plays this way and does he get called out? No. 

They just say that T. Brady is “fired up” or it’s just his “competitive juices flowing”

A double standard by who the players are that are outspoken? Maybe... lastly, has Ramsey gotten into any off the field trouble? How about AB? So why are they bad sports when Brady is celebrated and not called out like the others..

• Like 1

Just now, aaron11 said:

hes was not the only steeler that wanted out there and he hasnt quit on the raiders either

That doesnt matter at all. You still show up and do your job because your team is depending on you. That stuff is for the offseason.

And as far as the Raiders.....well he didnt show up to practice yesterday because of a helmet. That to me is quitting on your team. It's just a football practice. Even if you're not gonna practice, you still show up.

In any business you need to be able to rely on your staff to be there. There is nothing worse than someone who cant be depended on. In football, its magnified. When you're the best/most important player on the team, it becomes an even bigger deal. 

• Like 3

Just now, GoatBeard said:

That doesnt matter at all. You still show up and do your job because your team is depending on you. That stuff is for the offseason.

And as far as the Raiders.....well he didnt show up to practice yesterday because of a helmet. That to me is quitting on your team. It's just a football practice. Even if you're not gonna practice, you still show up.

In any business you need to be able to rely on your staff to be there. There is nothing worse than someone who cant be depended on. In football, its magnified. When you're the best/most important player on the team, it becomes an even bigger deal. 

it does matter, the steelers were a mess.  the team isnt always right

46 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Agree 100% . but I am not sure you put Zeke in that category.  He just wants to be paid better.  I can see his point.  Otherwise I think he has been a pretty good team guy.  Maybe Im wrong.  Gordon too

Is under contract, his agent and himself agreed to this deal. I think it's wrong for him to want more money and not going to training camp. Let your next deal be big. Just go play I'm so tired of all the whining

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, indyagent17 said:

Is under contract, his agent and himself agreed to this deal. I think it's wrong for him to want more money and not going to training camp. Let your next deal be big. Just go play I'm so tired of all the whining

the rules we have are unfair to top running backs and teams are taking advantage of it.  they have to do stuff like this if they want to get things changed 

17 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Question, what’s the difference between EAGLES, Pats, and Colts?

i see that some folks are already upset!

but this is exactly my point. I’m not saying to bring on Aaron Hernandez, but if you have players that are outspoken or Alpha males on your team, just because they play with a chip on their shoulders doesn’t make them a distraction. Heck T. Brady plays this way and does he get called out? No. 

They just say that T. Brady is “fired up” or it’s just his “competitive juices flowing”

A double standard by who the players are that are outspoken? Maybe... lastly, has Ramsey gotten into any off the field trouble? How about AB? So why are they bad sports when Brady is celebrated and not called out like the others..

I'm really tired of this "alpha male" stuff.

Those are ranks we use to describe the position an animal holds in a pack, and that's what they are, not personality traits. AB would actually be considered an Omega and might be killed by the rest of the pack for being an omega. 

Also, when has Tom Brady pulled something like this? And who said anything about a guy getting fired up or being hard on teammates? We are talking about people who cant be trusted to even show up here. 

14 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

it does matter, the steelers were a mess.  the team isnt always right

No but the team being wrong doesnt make AB right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Don't forget the only thing they agreed to was the money.  The CBA set his contract at 4yrs with a 5th yr option.  There are teams that extend their 1st rd picks before the option year.  This is all about the Cowboys using the CBA rules to their advantage and choosing who and when to pay next.  This is where 1st rd RB's can be taken advantage of.  Teams can actually run them into the ground.  Zeke is using what little leverage he has.  He's elite and should be paid and get his contract reworked.  

55 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Of these three, AB is the worst on the list of Diva. He honestly believes he is bigger than the league. He was a big head case in Pitt and now he is acting a fool in raiderland. Talk of retirement if he doesn’t get this or that, just retire fool, quit issuing empty threats. I’d take Ramsey though over all 3. He certainly has the talent but he is a turnoff if he believes he is going to get paid like a QB. Maybe after the NFL strike happens after next year because of the ridiculously overinflated costs of the nfl and it’s payouts, maybe we can get back to guys playing football to enjoy the game, make a decent living and allow the true fans to return to the actual games and afford them. When attending 1 game for a family of 4 sitting in the 200 section costs are $700-800 for tickets and food/drink, that’s crazy. Now try buying ST and make that cost x8-10 games. Wow! 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the rules we have are unfair to top running backs and teams are taking advantage of it.  they have to do stuff like this if they want to get things changed 

Exactly. RBs are different. Most of them have shorter shelf lives...and get run into the ground by their teams (Zeke especially). Of course they want to get paid while they can. The fact that the media is talking about a cheap 4th round rookie taking over Zeke just proves that RBs are seen as dispensable and treated as such.

The double standard is pretty incredible. An elite RB like Zeke wants to be paid at the level he produces...and he's being selfish. But if Ballard makes a player the highest paid at his position...he's praised for "rewarding a player" and "taking care of his guys."

Does Zeke not deserve to be rewarded and taken care of...or does that only apply to Colts players?

And if we praise Ballard for doing this...and consider it the right way...wouldn't we criticize another GM for not doing so?    

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

AB In fact did threaten to quit on the raiders. Why would you want this type of drama in an organization is beyond me. Will he or won’t he play if we don’t give into his next command? Nope, not for me. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Of these three, AB is the worst on the list of Diva. He honestly believes he is bigger than the league. He was a big head case in Pitt and now he is acting a fool in raiderland. Talk of retirement if he doesn’t get this or that, just retire fool, quit issuing empty threats. I’d take Ramsey though over all 3. He certainly has the talent but he is a turnoff if he believes he is going to get paid like a QB. Maybe after the NFL strike happens after next year because of the ridiculously overinflated costs of the nfl and it’s payouts, maybe we can get back to guys playing football to enjoy the game, make a decent living and allow the true fans to return to the actual games and afford them. When attending 1 game for a family of 4 sitting in the 200 section costs are $700-800 for tickets and food/drink, that’s crazy. Now try buying ST and make that cost x8-10 games. Wow! 

the diva thing doesnt bother me that much tbh.  i also watch the NBA and nearly every good player is a super diva there 

30 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Zeke has had off the field issues. Yes I would put him in the same category.

I would put him in the same category too.     But I would still take Zeke over Mack.    The gap between them is enough to warrant the risk.   

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Exactly. RBs are different. Most of them have shorter shelf lives...and get run into the ground by their teams (Zeke especially). Of course they want to get paid while they can. The fact that the media is talking about a cheap 4th round rookie taking over Zeke just proves that RBs are seen as dispensable and treated as such.

The double standard is pretty incredible. An elite RB like Zeke wants to be paid at the level he produces...and he's being selfish. But if Ballard makes a player the highest paid at his position...he's praised for "rewarding a player" and "taking care of his guys."

Does Zeke not deserve to be rewarded and taken care of...or does that only apply to Colts players?

And if we praise Ballard for doing this...and consider it the right way...wouldn't we criticize another GM for not doing so?    

Yes he does, but at the end of the day he signed a contract and the Cowboys have a right to hold him to it, and they also have the right to decide they dont wanna sink a ton of money into a RB. 

I dont think there is anything wrong with what hes doing, but I also wouldn't invest a lot of money into him for other reasons. And it is absolutely a distraction and not good for the team, which plays into all that.

11 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Yes he does, but at the end of the day he signed a contract and the Cowboys have a right to hold him to it, and they also have the right to decide they dont wanna sink a ton of money into a RB. 

I dont think there is anything wrong with what hes doing, but I also wouldn't invest a lot of money into him for other reasons. And it is absolutely a distraction and not good for the team, which plays into all that.

Yes they both have the right to do what they are doing.  So we will see how this ends.  It's a big distraction for the Cowboys right now.  It will be interesting to see how the Cowboys start out when the real bullets start flying.  I expect Zeke to stay out as long as he can and not jeopardize his long term freedom.

7 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

zeke is a top 2 RB in the league.  mack isnt even top 15 maybe not 20

Yeah, but since when has that mattered in terms of building a winning team?

Hes not better than a prime Adrian Peterson, and he never won anything on a team level. 

We didnt win when we had Eric Dickerson or Marshall Faulk. We won the title the year after we lost Edge. I could go on, but you get the point.

So is he really entitled to that money, just because hes really good? I dont think so. The value of a player should be determined on how valuable he is to the success of your franchise. And let's face it, teams are figuring out that the top RBs are just not worth the money they want. And that's ok.

Some bad team will offer him a big deal when he becomes a FA, and he will likely go there for the money and never win. And thats ok too. But hes not being mistreated.

1 minute ago, GoatBeard said:

Yeah, but since when has that mattered in terms of building a winning team?

not that long ago, worked well for the seahawks.  

the top 4 teams last year all had good to great RBs too.  saints, chiefs and rams all had top RBs, the patriots had a first round rookie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

AB is causing tons of drama right now in Oakland, refusing to play and threatening to retire...

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

not that long ago, worked well for the seahawks.  

the top 4 teams last year all had good to great RBs too.

I wouldn't call either starting RB for the AFC finalists last year great players, certainly not any better than Marlon Mack. Mack is a very good young player. Nyheim Hines is a very good young player as well.

It's easy to find RBs good enough to provide you with a respectable running game. It's far more about blocking than who is carrying the ball, IMO.