Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
CR91

Fountain going on IR, Inman released

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t  think he improves the roster. Bringing him in would also mean cutting a Cain or a Campbell. That isn’t happening.

If we keep 6, and a 3rd X, he might be a bit better WR than Pascal, but the overall net/net would be negligible.

2 hours ago, Flash7 said:

When Inman played with the Colts last year, he quickly became our #2 receiver, behind T.Y.

 

I would see the receivers as:

1. T.Y.

2. Funchess

3. Inman

4. Campbell

5. Cain

 

Inman would not be #3 this year. He might be the 3rd X if we kept 3 Xs, but at best he'd be 5th or 6th. Inman was #2 or #3 last year because we had a cluster at X. The Pats don't even have high quality depth, and Inman struggled there. Don't get me wrong, I love Inman for his contribution last year, but he's not a true #2 or #3. 

 

At the beginning of the year, I'd bet you're likely going to see 

1. TY

2. Funch

3. Rogers

4. Cain

5. Campbell

 

By the end of the year, I'd bet you're likely going to see

1. TY

2. Cain

3a. Campbell

3b. Funch

5. Rogers

 

Funch will start out as primary X, but you're going to see Funch play more and more slot as the year goes along. We're likely going to see Cain and Funch on the field at the same time. Roger's snaps will decrease as Funch slides to slot more often and as Campbell matures.

 

I wouldn't mind Inman over Pascal at #6 (if we keep 6), but overall you're only getting a little bit better/mature 3rd X, and you'd be cutting your experienced KR.

 

I don't expect Rogers to be here next year, but he's a lock IMO at this point. He's the only experienced slot in our system, and with Campbell missing so much, it's getting more and more unrealistic to think he won't be here to start as slot. He's also the only guy that has experience at Z (now that Fountain is gone) and has backed up TY. Ideally you also want you're 4th-6th WR to be the one taking PRs.

 

I hope they keep in contact with Inman, and even bring him to camp in case we need help this year due to injuries. It's pretty unlikely he makes the 53 though.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jskinnz said:

 

If you think Rogers is being kept just because he returns punts then you are not paying attention. 

 

I agree to an extent, because there is a lot of uncertainty with cain/campbell, fountain now on IR, etc. And I think he has played well this preseason. But we are paying attention to his punt returning and everyone else and it isn't close. And we also pay attention to Reich, and his comments literally point to him having a job because of his returning. 

 

“I mean Chester (Rogers) is our number one returner right now. Chester is our number one returner and we feel good about Chester being back there,” Reich said. “So, you can do the math on that. Chester has earned that. Chester has earned that spot and that’s a very important role.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

“I mean Chester (Rogers) is our number one returner right now. Chester is our number one returner and we feel good about Chester being back there,” Reich said. “So, you can do the math on that. Chester has earned that. Chester has earned that spot and that’s a very important role.”

There's a difference between what coaches say (coach-speak) and reality. People are believers, but you can't always believe all your beliefs. In other words, we'll have to wait and see what really happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As our defense improves it should force more punts, adding to the importance of having a reliable return guy. Not just good hands, but good decision making. Right now it's Rogers.

 

Actually, it's TY, but that's not happening.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fountain was still learning and had a ways to go.  With TY, DF, Campbell, Cain, and likely Rogers ahead of him, Fountain probably would not have had a lot of PT.

 

This is like a red-shirt season for him.  Not bad really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

There's a difference between what coaches say (coach-speak) and reality. People are believers, but you can't always believe all your beliefs. In other words, we'll have to wait and see what really happens.

 

Haha... ok. 

 

I don't believe everything I read. But he didn't say anything we all haven't seen already. There is no punt returners on this team outside of Chester, and it is an important role. You can't afford mistakes on special teams, particularly the punt game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coltsva said:

As our defense improves it should force more punts, adding to the importance of having a reliable return guy. Not just good hands, but good decision making. Right now it's Rogers.

 

Actually, it's TY, but that's not happening.

Pat macafee asked TY about that. He said he would if asked but he laughed. He was not sold on that idea. He could be used in a pinch though because we know he is good at it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where would he play? He'd be WR5.

 

If you think Inman is so good, why'd he leave the Pats? He left the Pats because he knew he was getting cut. I'd much rather have our current group than add Inman.

11 hours ago, Flash7 said:

When Inman played with the Colts last year, he quickly became our #2 receiver, behind T.Y.

 

I would see the receivers as:

1. T.Y.

2. Funchess

3. Inman

4. Campbell

5. Cain

Last year's receiver situatioj was different than this year. If you make Inman #3, Campbell and Cain don't develop.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inman was a great fit last year and became one of my favorite players. He was exactly what the Colts needed, especially with Doyle out. But it's hard to see where he would fit with this year's team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we keep only 3 TEs, we will keep 6 WRs and Inman can make it as a 6th. I am not sure Pascal is the answer. He has moments but hasn't shown consistency for me. Chester Rogers is like that high floor low ceiling guy that does his job on slants and does not blow it. Inman over Pascal for the 6th, no doubt. 

 

1. T.Y.

2. Funchess

3. Campbell

4. Cain

5. Rogers

6. Inman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CR91 said:

 

 

Perhaps worth a look?

We have Cain, I don’t think Inman is a need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Where would he play? He'd be WR5.

 

If you think Inman is so good, why'd he leave the Pats? He left the Pats because he knew he was getting cut. I'd much rather have our current group than add Inman.

Last year's receiver situatioj was different than this year. If you make Inman #3, Campbell and Cain don't develop.

 

 

Understood.

 

My previous post to this one stated that if you want to improve the receiving corp immediately, you bring in Inman. If you want to develop your young guys, you leave him out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the end of last season, the Colts played 3 straight "win or go home" games, all on the road (@ Tenn, @ Houston,  @ KC). 

In those games, Luck threw 14 passes to Inman.  He caught 13, for 185 yards and 2 TDs.  

 

I get going young, I really do.  And I get that he didn't stick in Chicago or N.E.  But for the Colts, with the season on the line, he played as well as any other player on the roster.  

 

He runs good routes, developed great chemistry with Luck, and he actually catches the football (72% catch rate last year).  And he's not THAT old.  

 

Maybe he does end up WR5 or 6.  If so, you have yourself one heck of a group.  JMO. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, TonyBungee said:

At the end of last season, the Colts played 3 straight "win or go home" games, all on the road (@ Tenn, @ Houston,  @ KC). 

In those games, Luck threw 14 passes to Inman.  He caught 13, for 185 yards and 2 TDs.  

 

I get going young, I really do.  And I get that he didn't stick in Chicago or N.E.  But for the Colts, with the season on the line, he played as well as any other player on the roster.  

 

He runs good routes, developed great chemistry with Luck, and he actually catches the football (72% catch rate last year).  And he's not THAT old.  

 

Maybe he does end up WR5 or 6.  If so, you have yourself one heck of a group.  JMO. 

 

 

Coming off last season, Inman was my 3rd favorite target only behind TY and Ebron. I hated to see him go. Who knows we may bring him back, I would be ok with it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TonyBungee said:

At the end of last season, the Colts played 3 straight "win or go home" games, all on the road (@ Tenn, @ Houston,  @ KC). 

In those games, Luck threw 14 passes to Inman.  He caught 13, for 185 yards and 2 TDs.  

 

I get going young, I really do.  And I get that he didn't stick in Chicago or N.E.  But for the Colts, with the season on the line, he played as well as any other player on the roster.  

 

He runs good routes, developed great chemistry with Luck, and he actually catches the football (72% catch rate last year).  And he's not THAT old.  

 

Maybe he does end up WR5 or 6.  If so, you have yourself one heck of a group.  JMO. 

 

 

 

i like him over rogers too, but we need kick returners.  i wouldnt cut cain to bring him back and thats basically what it comes down to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...