Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
cjrichard

Defensive play calls in the redzone?

I dont understand the play calls on defense when the Browns where in the redzone. Why were we playing cover 2 zone?  Made it soooo easy to dump passes underneath and get huge chuncks of yards. Imo not great situational play calling

Joseph

• Like 2

Preseason is not where you give up any of your playbook

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cjrichard said:

I dont understand the play calls on defense when the Browns where in the redzone. Why were we playing cover 2 zone?  Made it soooo easy to dump passes underneath and get huge chuncks of yards. Imo not great situational play calling

Joseph

Is this really an honest question?

Some of the holes will be closed down as the team gets some pass rush, the defense learns to play some of the new schemes, and they get the rust out

We will be ok

• Like 1

I’d love to see them play better and make all the plays we want but I also want them to be experimenting with stuff to fix what needs fixed from preseason film sessions. This is where you learn against other teams. They may not be doing exotic stuff either but we get to see our guys in patterns on film breakdown. I’m not worried what the record of preseason is or how they managed certain situations. I’m more concerned In how guys block, tackle and run routes. 

• Like 1

The calls were wildly incompetent/horrible. And Eberflus was one of the better coordinators in the whole league last year. This should tell you enough. They just didn't want to show ANYTHING new or anything interesting from the things they've been working on. 

I wouldn't take anything away from those pre-season games schematics-wise. Just look at individual performances for the roles and schemes the players are given, don't look at schemes and playcalls themselves.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Is this really an honest question?

Yes it is. What do you learn by playing coverages you typically wont run during the season in certian situations?  I get playing rookies with the 1s to see what they do in a REAL GAME SITUATION. 

Joseph

This just goes to show that a "one-size-fits-all" defensive strategy, like Cover 2, doesn't work in every situation. But if this is the base strategy from which all other situational strategies - hybrid or Cover 1 - emerge from, watching how players play that simple strategy is important.

Obviously, preseason games are not REAL GAME SITUATIONS.

Clearly the entire team, including the coaches have regressed. It's time for changes. I hear Pagano is doing big things in Chicago 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Clearly the entire team, including the coaches have regressed. It's time for changes. I hear Pagano is doing big things in Chicago 

You made me blow Diet Coke through my nose, laughing while I read this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, cjrichard said:

Joseph

Vanilla Defense. Think about that for a minute Vanilla Vanilla Vanilla hope that helps :applause: 

6 hours ago, cjrichard said:

Yes it is. What do you learn by playing coverages you typically wont run during the season in certian situations?  I get playing rookies with the 1s to see what they do in a REAL GAME SITUATION. 

Joseph

We don't know, seeing as we aren't the ones putting guys in spots to evaluate this preseason. Perhaps there is a good reason?? 

5 hours ago, CoachLite said:

You made me blow Diet Coke through my nose, laughing while I read this.

I know that diet crap has to burn like a mother... Aspartame forcefully spewing through your nostrils? Ouch...