Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Smonroe

Quincy Wilson Playing Late

Unless I’m mistaken, it appeared that Wilson played late in the game.  If so, that’s pretty unusual for a starter. 

The conspiracy theorist may say they’re preparing to trade him?  The Jets and Bears aren’t strong at CB and we have connections with both teams.  

Am I totally off base, or could there be something to this?

I noticed that as well.  My thoughts are that he is currently behind Desir, Moore, and Ya-Sin so that is why he was in late.  But I believe Tell was in before him as well?

I hope it isn't indicator of not practicing or preparing like a pro like when he came in as a rookie. Ballard could very well be looking to move on if that is the case. 

Ya sin did get the start with Desir and Moore as they opened in a nickel.  I don't think he's going anywhere though.  Would be one injury away from having a rookie playing corner for the first time possibly forced into heavy minutes. 

I think they just want to give Rock a good look. Rock doesn’t look quite ready to take that 3 spot yet.  Wilson is going to be used a lot against TE. Tell has struggled. 

• Like 1

There are all those bold prediction threads for cuts on the forums and this is mine. I won't make a thread about it but IMO there is a very real chance Wilson gets cut. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think they just want to give Rock a good look. Rock doesn’t look quite ready to take that 3 spot yet.  Wilson is going to be used a lot against TE. Tell has struggled. 

Agreed. Rock's man coverage is good. He has a lot of work to do in zone, but he'll get there. 

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

There are all those bold prediction threads for cuts on the forums and this is mine. I won't make a thread about it but IMO there is a very real chance Wilson gets cut. 

I don't see it. Wilson looked really good the first preseason game. I think Ballard is getting different looks. The only way this is plausible is if he just isn't taking his role seriously and isn't being a pro (which all indicators show he is passed that)... I don't think there is any way we cut a capable 2nd rounder with 2 years left on his contract. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Coltsfan66 said:

I noticed that as well.  My thoughts are that he is currently behind Desir, Moore, and Ya-Sin so that is why he was in late.  But I believe Tell was in before him as well?

I didn’t watch again, but I think Tell was in before Quincy.  They were definitely picking on Tell when he didn’t have safety help.  He really didn’t look that bad for a guy learning the position.

It’s not like they needed to keep Quincy in that long, there are plenty of CBs behind him on the roster.  BTW, Collins isn’t exactly overwhelming anyone either.  I don’t think Quincy will be cut but I do think we may trade one CB before the season starts.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wilson imo hasn’t looked like a 3rd year guy picked in the second round. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I don’t think it’s beyond plausible. If they see Tell and Willis as someone they want to keep and groom because they have more time and show real upside than Wilson, it won’t shock me. I’ll be disappointed but not overly shocked. Wilson has been an enigma. 

• Like 3

Keep in mind that Ballard could be psychologically working on Wilson. In other words kick in the butt

From all accounts Wilson has had a great camp. They are going to use him in a different way this year. Tell was terrible last night. Did anyone notice Desir and hooker were working ST in the fourth quarter. I don’t think it means anything.

I’m glad we got depth at corner but I’d hesitate to trade or cut Quincy, even if he has lagged behind. 

Even if he is the 3rd or 4th CB right now m, What happens if Desir gets injured, and Ya-Sin goes through a rookie struggle? We’d need him.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

BTW, Collins isn’t exactly overwhelming anyone either. 

I think Collins is a goner

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I didn’t watch again, but I think Tell was in before Quincy.  They were definitely picking on Tell when he didn’t have safety help.  He really didn’t look that bad for a guy learning the position.

It’s not like they needed to keep Quincy in that long, there are plenty of CBs behind him on the roster.  BTW, Collins isn’t exactly overwhelming anyone either.  I don’t think Quincy will be cut but I do think we may trade one CB before the season starts.  

Agreed!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

From all accounts Wilson has had a great camp. They are going to use him in a different way this year. Tell was terrible last night. Did anyone notice Desir and hooker were working ST in the fourth quarter. I don’t think it means anything.

He has. And he had a great game 1 against the Bills. GREAT game. Perfect man coverage. Collapsed on the ball in zone fast. He had a miscommunication and thought they were playing zone and let a big play get behind him, but who knows where they breakdown actually occurred. Wilson is not going anywhere. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I hope it isn't indicator of not practicing or preparing like a pro like when he came in as a rookie. Ballard could very well be looking to move on if that is the case. 

It could be a way to try to motivate the kid too.

Or it could mean absolutely nothing.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Thought I heard he was doing well in TC practices wonder what happened.

It’s been my feeling since midway last season that Wilson is not going to develop into his potential here. Some of it is scheme fit I think. Like Hairston, he looked good in Pagano’s press man scheme. The other part of it is maturity. Quincy is still only 22. He’s still got a lot of growing up to do. He could be an enticing trade target. Pagano might want him back in Chicago. Jets could use him. Kansas City, etc...

They're testing him out. He played pretty well last year and this year all indications are he had a good camp. They probably wanted to see how Ya Sin would do with the 1s.

• Like 1

To be honest with you Marvell Tell looks like he's going to be a good player at CB when it's all said and done.  It's an interesting situation for sure.  They may have enough confidence between Tell and Rock to move Quincy. I'm hoping we hang on to him but who knows. They could be looking to replace him as Tell has the same type of background as Quincy as far as being able to play Safety and CB.  I'm sure he'll also be able to play Dime Linebacker like Quincy does.

• Like 2

Wilson will cover the tight ends which we lacked at with our linebackers they wasn't that great in coverage against the tight ends and wilson does well at that he isn't going anywhere this season

• Like 1

I don’t think they would trade Wilson when he is still on a rookie contract. Now bringing him back after his contract is up is a different story. It would be a huge gamble to let him go make rock that guy. Rock is still a rookie and can’t be trusted yet. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, krunk said:

To be honest with you Marvell Tell looks like he's going to be a good player at CB when it's all said and done.  It's an interesting situation for sure.  They may have enough confidence between Tell and Rock to move Quincy. I'm hoping we hang on to him but who knows. They could be looking to replace him as Tell has the same type of background as Quincy as far as being able to play Safety and CB.  I'm sure he'll also be able to play Dime Linebacker like Quincy does.

I'd love to see Tell on the PS for a year. He's definitely got talent, I'm just not sure he's ready so soon after the position swap. He's a guy I think that will need some time to develop. Very interesting guy though.

I’ve never been impressed by Wilson.   I wouldn’t be shocked if gets released. He’s at best 4th on the depth chart right IMO and Hairston and Tell could make him expendable.  

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2019 at 5:36 PM, Hark said:

I think Collins is a goner

Sadly, I agree. I had such high expectations for this kid. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 1:26 PM, cbear said:

Ya sin did get the start with Desir and Moore as they opened in a nickel.  I don't think he's going anywhere though.  Would be one injury away from having a rookie playing corner for the first time possibly forced into heavy minutes. 

very astute observations!!

On 8/18/2019 at 7:14 AM, Smonroe said:

Unless I’m mistaken, it appeared that Wilson played late in the game.  If so, that’s pretty unusual for a starter. 

The conspiracy theorist may say they’re preparing to trade him?  The Jets and Bears aren’t strong at CB and we have connections with both teams.  

Am I totally off base, or could there be something to this?

I rewatched the game as I thought this would be pretty strange as well.  He did not play in the fourth except for his usual special teams slot.  

I was confused as well by those who say he had a bad game.  He gave up one completion where he got turned around.  Other than that he was glued to his man as usual. 

I think he's still having trouble living down his reputation from his rookie year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cbear said:

I rewatched the game as I thought this would be pretty strange as well.  He did not play in the fourth except for his usual special teams slot.  

I was confused as well by those who say he had a bad game.  He gave up one completion where he got turned around.  Other than that he was glued to his man as usual. 

I think he's still having trouble living down his reputation from his rookie year. 

There are plans to use him against many types of schemes. If we can believe like his coaches do that Quincy gets it now, i will continue to ignore this negative blather.

• Like 1

I do not have high hopes with Quincy Wilson becoming a starter for us, to be honest!!! Having said that, in this league, with so much nickel and dime being played, having extra CBs can be a necessity than a luxury. Just that Chargers playoff game where they played 7 DBs to combat Lamar Jackson and the Ravens' offense should tell you that having a deep CB corps does come in handy.

While it may not be a surprise if he is traded, I really do not feel he will be cut. 

Wilson is basically already a starter. He isn’t going to start over Moore. He moves to the outside when Moore moves to the slot. What will be interesting is how many of those outside snaps he gets with rock here. The new depth chart came out. They have rock as Desir backup and Wilson behind Moore. I think we are going to use Wilson like we do Moore.  Your going to see him covering TE more. He might lose snaps on the outside to Rock but but he is going to have a important role.

• Like 1

I doubt this is indicative of Wilson's job being in jeopardy. They probably just want see how Ya-Sin & Tell III hold up vs first team WRs in the event of a veteran starter going down with an injury.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I doubt this is indicative of Wilson's job being in jeopardy. They probably just want see how Ya-Sin & Tell III hold up vs first team WRs in the event of a veteran starter going down with an injury.

Exactly.  Especially with Ya-Sin.  If you want to measure his progress, he will need to go up against starters at some point.  I wouldn't be surprised if this happens vs the bears as well.  I don't think it is any bad reflection of Wilson, other than he's not at Moore's or Desir's level (which is acceptable, he's still good imo).