Indianapolis Colts
ColtStrong2013

Trading Brissett after week 4.

4 hours ago, shastamasta said:

CAR just drafted a QB in the 3rd round.

And the Broncos drafted Tim Tebow in the 1st. What's your point? It means jack who and where they drafted somebody if they like what they see. Josh Rosen was a 1st round draft pick and they turned around and got rid of him for another 1st round qb a year later. 

If they wanted to trade Brissett,  it would have happened already

13 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

This and the fact no one is willing to admit we tend to value him more than the rest of the league.   IF we did receive calls on Brissett, i'm pretty sure they were late-round.

Also, there have been more drafted QBs having success early in the last few years than i can remember.

If i'm looking for a QB, i may be more apt to draft a couple in early or mid-rounds and develop them.  Heck, take a QB every 2 or 3 years.  A better value than costly vets who dont seem to pan out any better than developed players.  Target QBs that fit you, and draft like you do for other positions.  It seems like a team will do aft a QB (high-ish), and then assume it will work and sort of ignore the position.  Most other positions, the team is ALWAYS looking to make improve.  At QB, most teams have a major drop to the #2.

i think we may have done well if we traded him last year, especially before the draft.  he wont get much mid season this year with a few weeks left on his contract

All this talk about trading Jacoby Brissett puzzles me. He seems like a smart, team-oriented guy that reminds me a little of Teddy Bridgewater who I think is a very good quarterback. If there is a starting position that appeals to Brissett, let him go for it next year. Being a starter brings a lot of pressure he may not want. If he wants to stay here and back up Andrew Luck, that would be fine, too. The verdict is still out on Chad Kelly. Seems to me we are in a good place when it comes to QBs - even with the questions (real or not) about Andrew Luck's ankle.

• Like 1

Why would he do that? Kelly can still be QB2 after this season. I don't know why people want to trade Brissett so badly. If he leaves, he leaves. You still get a comp pick out of him. Realistically, the Colts aren't going to get higher than a 3rd rounder for him.

I don't think we'll be trading Brissett unless we get an offer we can't refuse.  

Ballard and Reich are very focused on the locker room and the culture of the locker room and Brissett is too valuable in the locker room.  

His replacement that everyone is focused on Chad Kelly is someone who we're hoping reforms his life but it hasn't been long enough that you can rely on him to not get in trouble.  

I think the idea generally is to practice squad Kelly and see if he can behave himself for a year and when Brissett goes in FA we will hopefully get a comp pick from him and maybe Kelly can earn the backup job.

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't think we'll be trading Brissett unless we get an offer we can't refuse.  

Ballard and Reich are very focused on the locker room and the culture of the locker room and Brissett is too valuable in the locker room.  

His replacement that everyone is focused on Chad Kelly is someone who we're hoping reforms his life but it hasn't been long enough that you can rely on him to not get in trouble.  

I think the idea generally is to practice squad Kelly and see if he can behave himself for a year and when Brissett goes in FA we will hopefully get a comp pick from him and maybe Kelly can earn the backup job.

If a ham sandwich is "an offer we can't refuse" , he has a chance to be traded. 

I would trade him only if...

1) Luck is a full go week one no pain anywhere.

2) If Kelly continues to play well. 

3) After week 4.

4) we get a good enough offer for him or maybe package him with one of our seconds next year for a STUD D-lineman. 

1 hour ago, FirsTime said:

I would trade him only if...

1) Luck is a full go week one no pain anywhere.

2) If Kelly continues to play well. 

3) After week 4.

4) we get a good enough offer for him or maybe package him with one of our seconds next year for a STUD D-lineman. 

It's all about the bolded part.  I don't think Ballard will shop JB at all this year, but if a desperate team calls, he'll listen. 

Conspiracy theory.  Let Luck sit for a game or two.  Brissett plays his butt off in those games and the skies the limit in terms of trade value hahaha.

I'm all in (at this point) on Kelly, but he needs a full year on the PS plus an off season of good behavior before we can truly "rely" on him. I'd rather ride out the remainder of JBs contract unless 1) Luck turns out to be !00%, 2) it's mid season or later, 3) Kelly is being a model citizen, and 4) we get at least a 3rd rounder for him. If for some reason we become ineligible for the playoffs, I'd trade him without much thought so long as we net something comparable to what a compensatory pick might be.

I have come around to the idea that this year Ballard should carry three QB's on the active roster.  Why?  Because QB is the most important position on any team and we currently have three NFL QB's on our roster.  Luck, Brissett and Kelly.   It doesn't make sense to expose Kelly on the practice squad when we know Brissett is going to be gone after this year.  Kelly can play and I have to believe the other teams know it too.  Teams carry 53 players but can only can dress 46 or 47 or whatever the number is.  Assuming we have Brissett all year Kelly would be one of the inactives along with a few other end of the roster players.  I think it would be smart to give that 53rd spot to Kelly and use the practice squad to tweak the remaining players on the roster as needed.  We gave him a chance and he has shown he can play.  It would be a shame to lose him to a practice squad claim given our current circumstances with Brissett.  JMO

• Like 1

I have a question for you guys.  With the love Reich has shown Kelly by bringing him in, is there a chance that he would choose to stay on our practice squad for a season rather than going to a bad team???  I mean there’s a good chance JB is gone next year & the backup job to Luck is all his.  I can definitely see a scenario where we put him on the practice squad & say a team like the Bengals comes calling & he chooses to stay with us & Reich.

On 8/18/2019 at 2:21 PM, krunk said:

I still say no. You don't totally know what you've got in Kelly. Brissett been here 3 years now. There's no rush. Kelly isn't ready to lead this team if Luck goes down. He looks good but it's mostly against back ups. I think you look at moving JB next year.

Don't know if anyone has pointed this out, but his contract expires this year, so we have to trade him or let him go.

I think if we do trade, he will go to the Patriots.

Cam got hurt last night.  Their GM is "hoping" it's not too bad.  What if it is?  They have no reliable backup.  I wonder if Ballard would get a call.  That's why we are lucky to have three NFL caliber QB's.  Their misfortune could turn out to be a good situation for the Colts.  We should know Cam's status today.   

41 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Well, we can end this thread now.

I’m still down to trade him if we can get some good draft capitol that can be used on a future QB otherwise we are looking at paying him 20-25 million after this season to be our starter.