Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts after re-watch (Browns Pre-Season)

EastStreet

Just did a re-watch on the DVR.

Overall - sloppy game (penalties), but a bit happier with ball movement today vs the Bills game. Wasn't really happy with our D vs the run. In short, about what I would expect to an extent in the preseason. Just happy they kept their starting QB out to make it fair lol. Looking forward to seeing the snap counts. Guessing the starters will get a half next week vs Chicago.

QBs - everyone did better this week.

Brissett - looked much better vs last week. Completion % improved. Still feel like there is a lack of rhythm in his game.  

Walker - also looked better vs last week, but IMO still the 4th best QB on our roster

Kelly - looked like a guy that can challenge Brissett once again. I know he's facing lesser talent, but he also has lesser talent supporting him. He's helping guys like Hentges look very very good. Overall, throws a much better ball than Brissett or Walker. Just feels more in command. Promotion please.

RBs - meh. probably chalk a lot of this up to the OL.

Mack - very pedestrian outside of the one 8 yard carry 

Williams - did have one nice carry but the other 2 carries were very meh.

Ware - didn't look too bad. Would love to see him get some carries behind the 1st team OL

Hines - only had one carry I think, but it was nice.

Foreman - surprised he only got one carry. 

WR - mixed bag, but good game for those I expect to be on the 53.

Cain - easily the best out there tonight given targets. Shook off the very bad drop and did well.

Rogers - looked good on the sweep in limited action (1 target I think)

Funch - very solid on both of his 2 targets. Loved seeing him in the slot.

Johnson - struggled with 2 drops (IIRC). probably took a step back in the current pecking order

Hogan - 2 of 3 and looked decent in limited targets

Pascal - looked lost a bit out there. Didn't look like he even tried to locate the ball on one of his two targets (0 for 2 targets)

Veasy - not a bad night for him. Not really good, but he looked better than last week.

Dulin - still weird for him to get so little reps/targets in the receiving game, yet get so many return opportunities. That screams to me that they like him for the practice squad, and perhaps not flaunting his WR skills.

TE - the group was almost perfect on targets (except for one to Doyle

Ebron - looks in mid season form. While I still think Funch will eat some of his targets, he's going to get plenty.

Doyle - 1 for 2 on targets, but was just great to see him out there. 

Hentges - making a strong case with a 4/4 outing. Good blocking. Could be the 4th TE, if they keep a 4th. PS lock if not.

Travis - very good in limited targets

OL - meh... penalties, crappy snaps, etc.. Q was out. Andrews was probably the worst. Not a lot to be happy with. Just hope the chemistry is back in full swing come regular season. Praying we are injury free.

DB - not sure if it was scheme, or bad play, but too many open receivers. Milligan had a pretty solid night. Tell improved after some early flubs. One of the "flubs" though was simply a perfect pass. Willis was solid overall but looked out of place a few times. Honestly didn't see much of Rock except for the penalty. Collins with another meh performance. Kindred played better but still think he's better at SS. Farley looked good on a few plays. Safety is still a bit of a concern for me.

DT - up and down performance. Reid had some flashes, but one of his big plays looked a bit gifted to him.

DE -

Turay - was better. They fluffed him a bunch but one of his 2 big plays were gifted (a Browns player picked another Browns player).

Muhammad - looked good and better than expected.

Green, Banogu, and Philips - looked pretty decent.

I look for both the DE and DT group to step it up next week.

LB - Overall pretty decent, but a bit inconsistent later in the game.

Walker and Leonard - looked strong during their time in.

Speed -  numbers weren't as good as last week, but he was still flying around. Over pursued on one, but wasn't too bad.

Okereke - was up and down. Played well chasing outside, but over pursued a few times, and got manhandled at least once. I like him more at WILL/SAM.

Franklin - played very solid at both LB and STs

• Like 4

Thought Mack looked good.  Caught a pass out of the backfield 1st play.  Huge IMO.  I think he could catch 30-40 and that would really open up another aspect of the O.  Had the nice little scamper up the sideline.  Most of the rest of the runs were short yardage and not well blocked.  Be different going up Q’s big butt.

• Like 1

Maybe because of the nature of preseason games, but it looked like a bunch of individuals doing what they do on the field rather than a football team working together toward a common objective. This seems to be a common trait among all the games I watched yesterday, not just the Colts. 

Playing within the constraints of a preseason game plan (the lack thereof), the whole was much less than the sum of its parts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

Maybe because of the nature of preseason games, but it looked like a bunch of individuals doing what they do on the field rather than a football team working together toward a common objective. This seems to be a common trait among all the games I watched yesterday, not just the Colts. 

Playing within the constraints of a preseason game plan (the lack thereof), the whole was much less than the sum of its parts.

Yeah I think that is how most pre season games are. There really is not any schemes being shown.

• Like 1

That fumble Rogers had that was called back just reminded me why I can’t stand him on this team.

Garcia who I’m rooting for played like trash.

Eldernkamp got 2 or 3 holding calls.

Cain looked great, it’s great to see what all the hype from last off-season was about.

Brissett looked really good and Kelly looks like he could be a good qb2.

Hentges looked amazing I really am pulling for the kid.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Can you imagine Campbell on that jet sweep Rogers had. 

I love how they have used DF in the slot in open space. He is very fast for a guy his size.  Also maybe he won’t eat as many of EE red zone targets by playing on the slot.

I will say this.  Roger looked fast to me on that play, so having Campbell would be awesome!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, cjrichard said:

Thought Henges played well. The holding called on him that negated the TD was ridiculous. He locked on his man and let him go after the defender got beyond the shoulder pads. Textbook blocking 101

Joseph

It was borderline, in my opinion.  He has to learn not to raise his hands like "no, I'm not holding" though, haha.  Clear sign to the refs that he was holding at least for a little bit.

Those refs were borrowing hankies from the stands so they could throw those as well.  They were clearly trying to set some sort of record for penalties in a game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ebron said in camp he needs to block better so He can  stay on the field more. True because Doyle MAC and HH all block well AND they can catch.  I hope he holds to that because we proved last year that when Luck is protected our offense is elite.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I love how they have used DF in the slot in open space. He is very fast for a guy his size.  Also maybe he won’t eat as many of EE red zone targets by playing on the slot.

Watching that play left me feeling giddy.  There's no doubt that play is one of a set that were created specifically for Parris Campbell.  He may not have been in the game to run it, but they still needed to practice the blocking schemes for the rest of the players.  Can't wait to see #15 carrying the ball on this one!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Campbell  would have took that sweep to the house

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Just did a re-watch on the DVR.

Overall - sloppy game (penalties), but a bit happier with ball movement today vs the Bills game. Wasn't really happy with our D vs the run. In short, about what I would expect to an extent in the preseason. Just happy they kept their starting QB out to make it fair lol. Looking forward to seeing the snap counts. Guessing the starters will get a half next week vs Chicago.

QBs - everyone did better this week.

Brissett - looked much better vs last week. Completion % improved. Still feel like there is a lack of rhythm in his game.  

Walker - also looked better vs last week, but IMO still the 4th best QB on our roster

Kelly - looked like a guy that can challenge Brissett once again. I know he's facing lesser talent, but he also has lesser talent supporting him. He's helping guys like Hentges look very very good. Overall, throws a much better ball than Brissett or Walker. Just feels more in command. Promotion please.

RBs - meh. probably chalk a lot of this up to the OL.

Mack - very pedestrian outside of the one 8 yard carry 

Williams - did have one nice carry but the other 2 carries were very meh.

Ware - didn't look too bad. Would love to see him get some carries behind the 1st team OL

Hines - only had one carry I think, but it was nice.

Foreman - surprised he only got one carry. 

WR - mixed bag, but good game for those I expect to be on the 53.

Cain - easily the best out there tonight given targets. Shook off the very bad drop and did well.

Rogers - looked good on the sweep in limited action (1 target I think)

Funch - very solid on both of his 2 targets. Loved seeing him in the slot.

Johnson - struggled with 2 drops (IIRC). probably took a step back in the current pecking order

Hogan - 2 of 3 and looked decent in limited targets

Pascal - looked lost a bit out there. Didn't look like he even tried to locate the ball on one of his two targets (0 for 2 targets)

Veasy - not a bad night for him. Not really good, but he looked better than last week.

Dulin - still weird for him to get so little reps/targets in the receiving game, yet get so many return opportunities. That screams to me that they like him for the practice squad, and perhaps not flaunting his WR skills.

TE - the group was almost perfect on targets (except for one to Doyle

Ebron - looks in mid season form. While I still think Funch will eat some of his targets, he's going to get plenty.

Doyle - 1 for 2 on targets, but was just great to see him out there. 

Hentges - making a strong case with a 4/4 outing. Good blocking. Could be the 4th TE, if they keep a 4th. PS lock if not.

Travis - very good in limited targets

OL - meh... penalties, crappy snaps, etc.. Q was out. Andrews was probably the worst. Not a lot to be happy with. Just hope the chemistry is back in full swing come regular season. Praying we are injury free.

DB - not sure if it was scheme, or bad play, but too many open receivers. Milligan had a pretty solid night. Tell improved after some early flubs. One of the "flubs" though was simply a perfect pass. Willis was solid overall but looked out of place a few times. Honestly didn't see much of Rock except for the penalty. Collins with another meh performance. Kindred played better but still think he's better at SS. Farley looked good on a few plays. Safety is still a bit of a concern for me.

DT - up and down performance. Reid had some flashes, but one of his big plays looked a bit gifted to him.

DE -

Turay - was better. They fluffed him a bunch but one of his 2 big plays were gifted (a Browns player picked another Browns player).

Muhammad - looked good and better than expected.

Green, Banogu, and Philips - looked pretty decent.

I look for both the DE and DT group to step it up next week.

LB - Overall pretty decent, but a bit inconsistent later in the game.

Walker and Leonard - looked strong during their time in.

Speed -  numbers weren't as good as last week, but he was still flying around. Over pursued on one, but wasn't too bad.

Okereke - was up and down. Played well chasing outside, but over pursued a few times, and got manhandled at least once. I like him more at WILL/SAM.

Franklin - played very solid at both LB and STs

That bad drop hit hit in the face mask. Think walker threw it better than he expected 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nickster said:

Thought Mack looked good.  Caught a pass out of the backfield 1st play.  Huge IMO.  I think he could catch 30-40 and that would really open up another aspect of the O.  Had the nice little scamper up the sideline.  Most of the rest of the runs were short yardage and not well blocked.  Be different going up Q’s big butt.

I'm chalking most up to bad OL. We know what he did the last 2/3s of last year. With upgrades to WR, I think folks are going to be a lot more open, including Mack. I know Reich keeps saying he wants to run the ball, but I just think we are primed for a big passing year. Not just because we have lots of upgrades at WR, but more because we'll need to score more given the upgrade in QBs and Os we'll face.

13 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Rarely do you see chemistry after the 1st Q of the first two pre-season games. That goes for all teams though, so everyone is disadvantaged IMO. I am a little disappointed with the first string OL though. I know Q is out, but even Q looked bad vs Oliver (Bills). Just hoping the big uglies get their mojo back before LAC.

12 hours ago, mirobi48 said:

Should have never fired the OLINE coach we had, Luck is in for a long season if he survives 

That was indeed a strange move after the turnaround we had last year. If things go south with the OL,,,, that decision will certainly be revisited..

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Going to be nice with Campbell's speed. Honestly while I'd love to see him in a sweep situation, I'm more looking forward to some pure vert routes with Cain, TY, Hines, and Campbell all just blasting off. Not sure how teams could defend that. Give me 3 or 4 of those per game, and one very early to keep the Ds honest. That will open up the run like nothing else.

Slot alignments are almost identical to TE, and slot routes are very similar to TE routes. Funch at bully slot is exactly what will eat away at EE targets. Funch wide is less likely to take away from EE.

7 hours ago, Coltsfan66 said:

I am no fan of Walker but he actually played well, despite penalties and dropped passes that were beyond his control.  I still don't view him as someone to keep over Kelly moving forward though.

With Luck's injury, and Kelly's 2 game suspension, it's going to be interesting to see what they do. If they can hide Kelly on the PS after the game 2, I'm a big fan of that. If Luck should go out God forbid (like IR out), I'm sure Kelly would be on the 53 (post 2 game suspension), and Walker would be on the PS. Kelly certainly looks like the real deal, so I'm sure he'll remain a Colt so long as he keeps his head on straight.

6 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Ebron said in camp he needs to block better so He can  stay on the field more. True because Doyle MAC and HH all block well AND they can catch.  I hope he holds to that because we proved last year that when Luck is protected our offense is elite.

MAC has not been a stellar blocker so far this pre-season.

5 hours ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

I thought overall our team played well, all of the QBs looked good. Our defense allowed the Browns to throw way too many down the middle though. This is a game we could have/should have won, which is frustrating. But yes, I understand... it’s only the preseason. 

way too many indeed. 

4 hours ago, Hark said:

@Irish YJ solid take. I agree with pretty much everything. Not sure why Kelly is still playing with the 3s unless the organization is just not convinced he has changed his ways.

I think it's likely more that Kelly is suspended for the first two games, so they need to prepare Walker for worse case scenario if Luck is out. If Luck were healthy, I think we'd see something different. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I'm chalking most up to bad OL. We know what he did the last 2/3s of last year. With upgrades to WR, I think folks are going to be a lot more open, including Mack. I know Reich keeps saying he wants to run the ball, but I just think we are primed for a big passing year. Not just because we have lots of upgrades at WR, but more because we'll need to score more given the upgrade in QBs and Os we'll face.

Rarely do you see chemistry after the 1st Q of the first two pre-season games. That goes for all teams though, so everyone is disadvantaged IMO. I am a little disappointed with the first string OL though. I know Q is out, but even Q looked bad vs Oliver (Bills). Just hoping the big uglies get their mojo back before LAC.

That was indeed a strange move after the turnaround we had last year. If things go south with the OL,,,, that decision will certainly be revisited..

Going to be nice with Campbell's speed. Honestly while I'd love to see him in a sweep situation, I'm more looking forward to some pure vert routes with Cain, TY, Hines, and Campbell all just blasting off. Not sure how teams could defend that. Give me 3 or 4 of those per game, and one very early to keep the Ds honest. That will open up the run like nothing else.

Slot alignments are almost identical to TE, and slot routes are very similar to TE routes. Funch at bully slot is exactly what will eat away at EE targets. Funch wide is less likely to take away from EE.

With Luck's injury, and Kelly's 2 game suspension, it's going to be interesting to see what they do. If they can hide Kelly on the PS after the game 2, I'm a big fan of that. If Luck should go out God forbid (like IR out), I'm sure Kelly would be on the 53 (post 2 game suspension), and Walker would be on the PS. Kelly certainly looks like the real deal, so I'm sure he'll remain a Colt so long as he keeps his head on straight.

way too many indeed. 

I think it's likely more that Kelly is suspended for the first two games, so they need to prepare Walker for worse case scenario if Luck is out. If Luck were healthy, I think we'd see something different. 

Im pretty sure walker isn’t eligible to be on the practice squad anymore.

50 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

Im pretty sure walker isn’t eligible to be on the practice squad anymore.

Walker was signed in 2017 as a UDFA. The Colts can have up to 4 players with 2 years experience on the PS. The remaining 6 can only have one or less years of experience IIRC.

18 hours ago, mirobi48 said:

Should have never fired the OLINE coach we had, Luck is in for a long season if he survives 

Maybe if that OL coach wasn't acting like such a *, he would still be employed by the team.

I'm all about winning football, but not when our own players are being alienated and harrassed.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

Maybe if that OL coach wasn't acting like such a *, he would still be employed by the team.

I'm all about winning football, but not when our own players are being alienated and harrassed.

Who did he alienate? most of the offensive linemen had nothing but respect for him any of them you talk to after the colts fired him so there for who did he alienate.

13 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

It was borderline, in my opinion.  He has to learn not to raise his hands like "no, I'm not holding" though, haha.  Clear sign to the refs that he was holding at least for a little bit.

Those refs were borrowing hankies from the stands so they could throw those as well.  They were clearly trying to set some sort of record for penalties in a game.

A lot of the calls including that one was crap the crew hopefully never refs one of the colts games in the regular season there was nothing wrong with that block and that holding negated touchdown ended up being the difference in the game. The only reason i'm not complaining a lot more about it is because its preseason if this was a regular season game I would say a lot more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

way too many indeed. 

If it came to the point of having to play walker we are screwed anyway so might as well take our chances with a FA from somewhere else.

• Like 2

I think we can all agree that the refs were horrible.    

Walker looked good, but is still the 4th best QB on the team.   

Filling out the WR and RB crews is going to be interesting.  Hogan and Ware are throwing wrenches into it.

I still can't tell much on the defensive side.   

• Like 1

Mack had a good blitz pick up. Nelson wasn't in the O-Line and Andrews isn't that good.

On 8/18/2019 at 8:09 AM, mirobi48 said:

Nah, that's not the issue. Also, it's preseason and the O-Line hasn't played together yet. If the line gives up 50+ sacks, you'd have a case.

• Like 1

I think we'll keep 4 backs because J Will gives us that banger element that we didn't have last year. I think he can break long runs also at times.  However I still think we will hang on to Wilkins to have another scat back stretch run type player in there. 

The large number of penalties was alarming.  I agree some were bad calls, but even if you take away 5 or 6 of those, were left with too many, anyway.  I guess if we can learn from those penalties and cut down on those mistakes in the future, then something positive can come from it.

My favorite line was from Venturi later in the game when the flags kept flying, "there's been more flags here than there are at the United Nations!" (paraphrasing)

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Good was going through a tough time after his brother was killed but he wasn't that great anyways wasn't the worst but at times was terrible.

Sounds about right, when he came back  smith had became the starter and good thought he should be the starter still 

39 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

Sounds about right, when he came back  smith had became the starter and good thought he should be the starter still 

He was a backup at best I believe his weight affected his lateral movement an that's part of the reason he got beat so much I think he would have been much better if he dropped to about 325-330.