Indianapolis Colts

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I think he cemented his 53 spot

I thinking Ken Dilger

The only problem with putting promising players onto the 53 is you have to also take one off.

• Confused 1

Hes basically Jason Witten. Reliable hands, good blocker, and slow as a statue haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I hope he makes the 53 man roster. He could replace a little of what Hewitt did for us last season while also being a much bigger threat in the passing game.

• Like 1

Travis looks good also. Both Travis and Hale are going to have a hard time making the roster. I assume we might keep for since we do use TE so much. We will see if they do.

I feel better about keeping him now since Fountain is gone for the year. 

I love Doyle but if Hentges sticks and provides the same capabilities then Doyle will likely be playing somewhere else next season.

Basic economics and roster management.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I love Doyle but if Hentges sticks and provides the same capabilities then Doyle will likely be playing somewhere else next season.

Yep.  

11 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Doyle actually said Hentges is a better version of himself.  If he thinks that what are the coaches thinking?  I think he makes it.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Doyle actually said Hentges is a better version of himself.  If he thinks that what are the coaches thinking?  I think he makes it.  

I think part of that is Doyle being a really good teammate and very humble. But still, yeah, I like Hentges a lot.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Reminds me of Ben Utech

I think its the number.  But yeah, me too.

The kid made plays tonight.  Some big ones too.

Many plays, it seemed as if he was the last to stop blocking.  He knows how to lead a RB, thats for sure.

I dont see him making the PS.  If we wanna keep him, i think it has to be the 53.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

The kid made plays tonight.  Some big ones too.

Many plays, it seemed as if he was the last to stop blocking.  He knows how to lead a RB, thats for sure.

I dont see him making the PS.  If we wanna keep him, i think it has to be the 53.

I think you’re right.  He has to better than some teams #4 TE.  It’s a good problem to have.  

22 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think you’re right.  He has to better than some teams #4 TE.  It’s a good problem to have.  

He looks too good to go undrafted.  Im trying to figure out if his type of player is available every year.  My eyes tell me no.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Source? Just curious. I think the same thing :)

2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I think he cemented his 53 spot

I thinking Ken Dilger

Ken Dilger would be nice to have again. 

1 minute ago, LockeDown said:

He’s the perfect backup for Doyle. Great in the red zone. Great camp. Kudos to those who were high on him in camp. 

Hedges is the real deal but I can't see 4 TE's making the final 53 man roster. I would think Allie Mo-Cox has the third spot. Hedges fourth.

What I want to know is what’s up with MAC?  I couldn’t watch today (was out of town) but from what I heard & saw week 1 Mo hasn’t been blocking well at all.  Sounds like he’s still got a lot of improving to do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Hes basically Jason Witten. Reliable hands, good blocker, and slow as a statue haha

He is hardly slow.

3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He is hardly slow.

Not sure what youre watching. Lucky for him, speed isnt needed to find holes in the defense

14 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He is hardly slow.

40 time was 5.04. that's pretty slow in terms of 40.

doesn't mean he can't run a crisp route and use his body to get open.

"fast" is not a word to describe hale though. he catches and blocks well.

besides his vert 33.5, the rest of his measurables at the pro day were pretty bad.

9 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

What I want to know is what’s up with MAC?  I couldn’t watch today (was out of town) but from what I heard & saw week 1 Mo hasn’t been blocking well at all.  Sounds like he’s still got a lot of improving to do.

MAC in my opinion is in trouble in making this team given we have EE and DF as big, fast receiving guys. If it’s a speedy TE you desire, I’d look at Travis then. I’d be just fine going with EE, JD and Hentges and Travis if we kept 4. MAC has done nothing spectacular since being in the league, another promising talent not yet realized. 

8 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

40 time was 5.04. that's pretty slow in terms of 40.

doesn't mean he can't run a crisp route and use his body to get open.

"fast" is not a word to describe hale though. he catches and blocks well.

besides his vert 33.5, the rest of his measurables at the pro day were pretty bad.

Was he injured or some reason he was running what a 320 pound lineman runs? That’s a slow slow time but tbh, he was hired to be a blocker not a speed demon. If he shows he has catchability talents, he is a weapon we could use. We don’t need 5 guys on the offense at one time with 4.30 speed, we need 5 guys who have a mix of 4.3 and 5.0 who can catch the ball cleanly. Remember, Klecko was a DL guy but caught a TD pass when his chance came. 

I don't see what Ross Travis has done besides that one TD yesterday to be getting much consideration. Plus he's not even an in line blocker.  I think Mo Cox spot on the team is secure especially now since he's improved as a pass catcher. Hentges may make the team possibly in the Ryan Hewitt role. Problem is the Ryan Hewitt role was only available last year because Jack Doyle went down.  Now that Doyle is available I think your top 3 are Doyle, Ebron, and Mo Cox. The rest of the pile is likely to be on the PS or gone entirely. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't see what Ross Travis has done besides that one TD yesterday to be getting much consideration. Plus he's not even an in line blocker.  I think Mo Cox spot on the team is secure especially now since he's improved as a pass catcher. Hentges may make the team possibly in the Ryan Hewitt role. Problem is the Ryan Hewitt role was only available last year because Jack Doyle went down.  Now that Doyle is available I think your top 3 are Doyle, Ebron, and Mo Cox. The rest of the pile is likely to be on the PS or gone entirely. 

What has MAC actually done vs what his perceived potential? Idk, we just have two guys with speed and height so does he provide more blocking abilities than Hentges? Also, he would be the replacement to EE, so the future planning would be, sign MAC instead of EE and also signing JD not keeping Hentges. Depends on how the team plans on spending money for this position. 

9 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

What has MAC actually done vs what his perceived potential? Idk, we just have two guys with speed and height so does he provide more blocking abilities than Hentges? Also, he would be the replacement to EE, so the future planning would be, sign MAC instead of EE and also signing JD not keeping Hentges. Depends on how the team plans on spending money for this position. 

MAC is a really good blocking tight end first and foremost and his first year you have to kind of give a caveat because he was coming out of basketball.  He's got more NFL game experience than Hentges and I think he's got more power, height, and size. He's more developed as a receiver by all accounts. It's close but I think I'd still go with my boy MAC.  Everything Hentges has youve already got that with Jack Doyle. 

If he does turn out being better than Doyle, we would arguably have 4 of the top 40 TEs in the league with him, Doyle, Ebron, and Mo Alie-Cox

1 hour ago, krunk said:

MAC is a really good blocking tight end first and foremost and his first year you have to kind of give a caveat because he was coming out of basketball.  He's got more NFL game experience than Hentges and I think he's got more power, height, and size. He's more developed as a receiver by all accounts. It's close but I think I'd still go with my boy MAC.  Everything Hentges has youve already got that with Jack Doyle. 

My point was the plan of the Colts. You say he is Doyle, Doyle is gone after this season as a FA iirc. MAC was a BB project who came to football. Has t he battled through several injuries so far and what were his stats in 2018? I’m not complaining that MAC is bad or we should t keep him, I’m simply saying, in terms of team planning, you replace Hentges with Doyle in 2020 if you plan on keeping EE. If you aren’t planning on signing EE or even DF for that matter, it may make more sense to keep MAC and keep developing and resign Doyle and hope you can sneak Hentges to the PS for this year. We will be losing some talented guys this year at wr and TE, just depends on the future planning the team has in mind. Having layers of talent to lose is a good thing for the team, bad for the fans who hate to see them go elsewhere. 

10 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

If he does turn out being better than Doyle, we would arguably have 4 of the top 40 TEs in the league with him, Doyle, Ebron, and Mo Alie-Cox

Travis is the receiving TE as is EE, Doyle, MAC and Hentges, by most accounts are your blockers with catching ability. I’m not sure the team keeps 3 blocking types and only 1 that’s considered the receiving type. I sure hope Luck allows us to just keep only 3 QB’s and not 4 (one being suspended 2 games to start). Allows us to keep 4 TE’s. Cuts are gonna be rough on fans this year. 

I sure wish he would have gotten the 1st down in the 4th against Cleveland, instead of trying to run sideways. It could have  led to a W instead of a L.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Travis is the receiving TE as is EE, Doyle, MAC and Hentges, by most accounts are your blockers with catching ability. I’m not sure the team keeps 3 blocking types and only 1 that’s considered the receiving type. I sure hope Luck allows us to just keep only 3 QB’s and not 4 (one being suspended 2 games to start). Allows us to keep 4 TE’s. Cuts are gonna be rough on fans this year. 

I thought MAC was a receiving TE who has worked hard to become a good blocker.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jdubu said:

MAC in my opinion is in trouble in making this team given we have EE and DF as big, fast receiving guys. If it’s a speedy TE you desire, I’d look at Travis then. I’d be just fine going with EE, JD and Hentges and Travis if we kept 4. MAC has done nothing spectacular since being in the league, another promising talent not yet realized. 

Was he injured or some reason he was running what a 320 pound lineman runs? That’s a slow slow time but tbh, he was hired to be a blocker not a speed demon. If he shows he has catchability talents, he is a weapon we could use. We don’t need 5 guys on the offense at one time with 4.30 speed, we need 5 guys who have a mix of 4.3 and 5.0 who can catch the ball cleanly. Remember, Klecko was a DL guy but caught a TD pass when his chance came. 

No, I don't believe he was injured. To me, he looks much slower than the other TEs, but he runs very crisp and clean routes, which I'd expect coming from Saban. 

I agree that we don't need everyone to be a speed demon. Frankly if we have 2 of 3 speed guys (TY, Cain, Campbell), plus Funch, and plus a guy like Ebron or any TE we have, we can threaten literally every inch of the field. I do salivate though thinking of passing downs with TY, Cain, Campbell, Hines, and Ebron. That's a crazy amount of speed plus a "possession" monster in Ebron. not sure any team has that kind of mismatch potential.

• Like 1

Jack Doyle confirmed after the game that Hale Hentges is essentially Jack Doyle 2.0, but better.

— Zak Keefer (@zkeefer) August 18, 2019

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

Jack Doyle confirmed after the game that Hale Hentges is essentially Jack Doyle 2.0, but better.

— Zak Keefer (@zkeefer) August 18, 2019

That just makes me like Doyle that much more 

• Like 1

I love Doyle but if Hentges is a better version. I'm going to get shot for saying this. Should we try to shop Doyle? If we can get enough for him. Honestly we missed Doyle after he went down for the first couple games but we figured it out shortly after. We did not perform poorly without Doyle. There may be some value there and we could save a roster spot this way. 

17 minutes ago, FirsTime said:

I love Doyle but if Hentges is a better version. I'm going to get shot for saying this. Should we try to shop Doyle? If we can get enough for him. Honestly we missed Doyle after he went down for the first couple games but we figured it out shortly after. We did not perform poorly without Doyle. There may be some value there and we could save a roster spot this way. 

Like I posted previously, the likelihood of having all 3 (Doyle, Ebron, MAC) back in 2020 is probably low. Given two of them are paid in the top 15, not sure I want to be the team who pays the most in the league for TEs while not running all that many 2 TE sets. Really doubt we'd shop Doyle though.

A lot can change in a year, but I sure hope we get Ebron back. It would be great though if Doyle was willing to take less given his age. He's an Indy guy, so perhaps that's enough. MAC looks like he could develop into a future stud. Really wish we could hide HH on the practice squad, but that seems unlikely.