Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I think he cemented his 53 spot

 

      I thinking Ken Dilger

 

The only problem with putting promising players onto the 53 is you have to also take one off.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hes basically Jason Witten. Reliable hands, good blocker, and slow as a statue haha

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope he makes the 53 man roster. He could replace a little of what Hewitt did for us last season while also being a much bigger threat in the passing game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Travis looks good also. Both Travis and Hale are going to have a hard time making the roster. I assume we might keep for since we do use TE so much. We will see if they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel better about keeping him now since Fountain is gone for the year. 

 

I love Doyle but if Hentges sticks and provides the same capabilities then Doyle will likely be playing somewhere else next season.

 

Basic economics and roster management.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I feel better about keeping him now since Fountain is gone for the year. 

 

I love Doyle but if Hentges sticks and provides the same capabilities then Doyle will likely be playing somewhere else next season.

 

Basic economics and roster management.

Yep.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I feel better about keeping him now since Fountain is gone for the year. 

 

I love Doyle but if Hentges sticks and provides the same capabilities then Doyle will likely be playing somewhere else next season.

 

Basic economics and roster management.

Doyle actually said Hentges is a better version of himself.  If he thinks that what are the coaches thinking?  I think he makes it.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Doyle actually said Hentges is a better version of himself.  If he thinks that what are the coaches thinking?  I think he makes it.  


I think part of that is Doyle being a really good teammate and very humble. But still, yeah, I like Hentges a lot.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krunk said:

Reminds me of Ben Utech

I think its the number.  But yeah, me too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kid made plays tonight.  Some big ones too.

Many plays, it seemed as if he was the last to stop blocking.  He knows how to lead a RB, thats for sure.

  I dont see him making the PS.  If we wanna keep him, i think it has to be the 53.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

The kid made plays tonight.  Some big ones too.

Many plays, it seemed as if he was the last to stop blocking.  He knows how to lead a RB, thats for sure.

  I dont see him making the PS.  If we wanna keep him, i think it has to be the 53.

 

 

I think you’re right.  He has to better than some teams #4 TE.  It’s a good problem to have.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

 

I think you’re right.  He has to better than some teams #4 TE.  It’s a good problem to have.  

He looks too good to go undrafted.  Im trying to figure out if his type of player is available every year.  My eyes tell me no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Doyle actually said Hentges is a better version of himself.  If he thinks that what are the coaches thinking?  I think he makes it.  

Source? Just curious. I think the same thing :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I think he cemented his 53 spot

 

      I thinking Ken Dilger

Ken Dilger would be nice to have again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, LockeDown said:

He’s the perfect backup for Doyle. Great in the red zone. Great camp. Kudos to those who were high on him in camp. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hedges is the real deal but I can't see 4 TE's making the final 53 man roster. I would think Allie Mo-Cox has the third spot. Hedges fourth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I want to know is what’s up with MAC?  I couldn’t watch today (was out of town) but from what I heard & saw week 1 Mo hasn’t been blocking well at all.  Sounds like he’s still got a lot of improving to do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Hes basically Jason Witten. Reliable hands, good blocker, and slow as a statue haha

He is hardly slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He is hardly slow.

 

Not sure what youre watching. Lucky for him, speed isnt needed to find holes in the defense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He is hardly slow.

40 time was 5.04. that's pretty slow in terms of 40.

doesn't mean he can't run a crisp route and use his body to get open.

"fast" is not a word to describe hale though. he catches and blocks well.

 

besides his vert 33.5, the rest of his measurables at the pro day were pretty bad.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

What I want to know is what’s up with MAC?  I couldn’t watch today (was out of town) but from what I heard & saw week 1 Mo hasn’t been blocking well at all.  Sounds like he’s still got a lot of improving to do.

MAC in my opinion is in trouble in making this team given we have EE and DF as big, fast receiving guys. If it’s a speedy TE you desire, I’d look at Travis then. I’d be just fine going with EE, JD and Hentges and Travis if we kept 4. MAC has done nothing spectacular since being in the league, another promising talent not yet realized. 

8 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

40 time was 5.04. that's pretty slow in terms of 40.

doesn't mean he can't run a crisp route and use his body to get open.

"fast" is not a word to describe hale though. he catches and blocks well.

 

besides his vert 33.5, the rest of his measurables at the pro day were pretty bad.

 

Was he injured or some reason he was running what a 320 pound lineman runs? That’s a slow slow time but tbh, he was hired to be a blocker not a speed demon. If he shows he has catchability talents, he is a weapon we could use. We don’t need 5 guys on the offense at one time with 4.30 speed, we need 5 guys who have a mix of 4.3 and 5.0 who can catch the ball cleanly. Remember, Klecko was a DL guy but caught a TD pass when his chance came. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see what Ross Travis has done besides that one TD yesterday to be getting much consideration. Plus he's not even an in line blocker.  I think Mo Cox spot on the team is secure especially now since he's improved as a pass catcher. Hentges may make the team possibly in the Ryan Hewitt role. Problem is the Ryan Hewitt role was only available last year because Jack Doyle went down.  Now that Doyle is available I think your top 3 are Doyle, Ebron, and Mo Cox. The rest of the pile is likely to be on the PS or gone entirely. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't see what Ross Travis has done besides that one TD yesterday to be getting much consideration. Plus he's not even an in line blocker.  I think Mo Cox spot on the team is secure especially now since he's improved as a pass catcher. Hentges may make the team possibly in the Ryan Hewitt role. Problem is the Ryan Hewitt role was only available last year because Jack Doyle went down.  Now that Doyle is available I think your top 3 are Doyle, Ebron, and Mo Cox. The rest of the pile is likely to be on the PS or gone entirely. 

What has MAC actually done vs what his perceived potential? Idk, we just have two guys with speed and height so does he provide more blocking abilities than Hentges? Also, he would be the replacement to EE, so the future planning would be, sign MAC instead of EE and also signing JD not keeping Hentges. Depends on how the team plans on spending money for this position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

What has MAC actually done vs what his perceived potential? Idk, we just have two guys with speed and height so does he provide more blocking abilities than Hentges? Also, he would be the replacement to EE, so the future planning would be, sign MAC instead of EE and also signing JD not keeping Hentges. Depends on how the team plans on spending money for this position. 

MAC is a really good blocking tight end first and foremost and his first year you have to kind of give a caveat because he was coming out of basketball.  He's got more NFL game experience than Hentges and I think he's got more power, height, and size. He's more developed as a receiver by all accounts. It's close but I think I'd still go with my boy MAC.  Everything Hentges has youve already got that with Jack Doyle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he does turn out being better than Doyle, we would arguably have 4 of the top 40 TEs in the league with him, Doyle, Ebron, and Mo Alie-Cox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krunk said:

MAC is a really good blocking tight end first and foremost and his first year you have to kind of give a caveat because he was coming out of basketball.  He's got more NFL game experience than Hentges and I think he's got more power, height, and size. He's more developed as a receiver by all accounts. It's close but I think I'd still go with my boy MAC.  Everything Hentges has youve already got that with Jack Doyle. 

My point was the plan of the Colts. You say he is Doyle, Doyle is gone after this season as a FA iirc. MAC was a BB project who came to football. Has t he battled through several injuries so far and what were his stats in 2018? I’m not complaining that MAC is bad or we should t keep him, I’m simply saying, in terms of team planning, you replace Hentges with Doyle in 2020 if you plan on keeping EE. If you aren’t planning on signing EE or even DF for that matter, it may make more sense to keep MAC and keep developing and resign Doyle and hope you can sneak Hentges to the PS for this year. We will be losing some talented guys this year at wr and TE, just depends on the future planning the team has in mind. Having layers of talent to lose is a good thing for the team, bad for the fans who hate to see them go elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

If he does turn out being better than Doyle, we would arguably have 4 of the top 40 TEs in the league with him, Doyle, Ebron, and Mo Alie-Cox

Travis is the receiving TE as is EE, Doyle, MAC and Hentges, by most accounts are your blockers with catching ability. I’m not sure the team keeps 3 blocking types and only 1 that’s considered the receiving type. I sure hope Luck allows us to just keep only 3 QB’s and not 4 (one being suspended 2 games to start). Allows us to keep 4 TE’s. Cuts are gonna be rough on fans this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sure wish he would have gotten the 1st down in the 4th against Cleveland, instead of trying to run sideways. It could have  led to a W instead of a L.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Travis is the receiving TE as is EE, Doyle, MAC and Hentges, by most accounts are your blockers with catching ability. I’m not sure the team keeps 3 blocking types and only 1 that’s considered the receiving type. I sure hope Luck allows us to just keep only 3 QB’s and not 4 (one being suspended 2 games to start). Allows us to keep 4 TE’s. Cuts are gonna be rough on fans this year. 

I thought MAC was a receiving TE who has worked hard to become a good blocker.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jdubu said:

MAC in my opinion is in trouble in making this team given we have EE and DF as big, fast receiving guys. If it’s a speedy TE you desire, I’d look at Travis then. I’d be just fine going with EE, JD and Hentges and Travis if we kept 4. MAC has done nothing spectacular since being in the league, another promising talent not yet realized. 

Was he injured or some reason he was running what a 320 pound lineman runs? That’s a slow slow time but tbh, he was hired to be a blocker not a speed demon. If he shows he has catchability talents, he is a weapon we could use. We don’t need 5 guys on the offense at one time with 4.30 speed, we need 5 guys who have a mix of 4.3 and 5.0 who can catch the ball cleanly. Remember, Klecko was a DL guy but caught a TD pass when his chance came. 

No, I don't believe he was injured. To me, he looks much slower than the other TEs, but he runs very crisp and clean routes, which I'd expect coming from Saban. 

 

I agree that we don't need everyone to be a speed demon. Frankly if we have 2 of 3 speed guys (TY, Cain, Campbell), plus Funch, and plus a guy like Ebron or any TE we have, we can threaten literally every inch of the field. I do salivate though thinking of passing downs with TY, Cain, Campbell, Hines, and Ebron. That's a crazy amount of speed plus a "possession" monster in Ebron. not sure any team has that kind of mismatch potential.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack Doyle confirmed after the game that Hale Hentges is essentially Jack Doyle 2.0, but better.

— Zak Keefer (@zkeefer) August 18, 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, krunk said:

Jack Doyle confirmed after the game that Hale Hentges is essentially Jack Doyle 2.0, but better.

— Zak Keefer (@zkeefer) August 18, 2019

 

That just makes me like Doyle that much more 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Doyle but if Hentges is a better version. I'm going to get shot for saying this. Should we try to shop Doyle? If we can get enough for him. Honestly we missed Doyle after he went down for the first couple games but we figured it out shortly after. We did not perform poorly without Doyle. There may be some value there and we could save a roster spot this way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, FirsTime said:

I love Doyle but if Hentges is a better version. I'm going to get shot for saying this. Should we try to shop Doyle? If we can get enough for him. Honestly we missed Doyle after he went down for the first couple games but we figured it out shortly after. We did not perform poorly without Doyle. There may be some value there and we could save a roster spot this way. 

 

Like I posted previously, the likelihood of having all 3 (Doyle, Ebron, MAC) back in 2020 is probably low. Given two of them are paid in the top 15, not sure I want to be the team who pays the most in the league for TEs while not running all that many 2 TE sets. Really doubt we'd shop Doyle though.

 

A lot can change in a year, but I sure hope we get Ebron back. It would be great though if Doyle was willing to take less given his age. He's an Indy guy, so perhaps that's enough. MAC looks like he could develop into a future stud. Really wish we could hide HH on the practice squad, but that seems unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Supe it's not an angle whatsoever, it's purely the truth.   I am, of course not talking about you, or what you do on this board in terms of evaluating players. I always enjoy hearing your take on players.   I am obviously talking about the people spewing bile on here after the loss to the Raiders, and every other loss for that matter. And a lot of that includes tripe about Jacoby Brissett that just goes way over the top.   We can disagree on Brissett, it's not really a big deal. And I apologize for quoting you in the other thread and giving you the impression I am including you in this. I'm really not. I quoted you because I would rather debate the topic with someone like yourself than get sucked into a flame war with some troll, which has happened to me a time or two. That's all. Me and you can have a somewhat interesting discussion. I always enjoy it.     
    • Nice thread...    There have been some arguments for a while now about the relative value of pass-coverage vs pass-rush. Teams offensively are turning to faster and faster game plans and this affects the pass-rush a ton. You can practically scheme the pass-rush away if you have good enough QB and receivers that get open quickly. The latest advanced analytics seem to favor positions like CB and WR value-wise over long-held champions like EDGE rushers or OTs. I will also take into account your characterization of the rest of the roster(average players as opposed to straight up trash). At some positions the improvement between pro-bowler and average/JAG is higher than at other positions. Those are just part of the considerations that will inform my choise here:   Offense:   1. QB: not controversial take here - most important position of all... he handles the ball and makes a decision that might affect the game pretty much 100% of the snaps. I want the best passer and decisionmaker to run my offense.    2. WR: yep, give me a beast of an X-receiver. Pass-catchers are incredibly important.   3. LT: Yeah, I know, this goes against some of the things I said above, but time and time again we see what a great LT does to an offensive line. Leremy Tunsil is not even that great and he almost single-handedly turned around the HOU OLine. Same with AC last year - we missed him mightily when he was injured to start the year and then turned the line into a great unit. And again - he's not even at the level we are talking here. He still has not had a pro-bowl or all-pro recognition(maybe he gets one this year, he deserves it). But yeah... give me Bakhtiari, give me Armstead, give me Tyron Smith level player... I think this raises the level of the whole O-Line, especially if it's filled with average players at the other positions(rather than horrible ones)   ------------------------------------ Those will be my selections offensively. I think a QB masks a lot of deficiencies and I think he elevates average players and squeezes everything out of most of them. Just look at what Luck used to do with players like Jack Doyle, Donte Moncrief, Eric Ebron, Inman, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen...    Defense:   4. CB: yep, I want a shut down corner. Like I said earlier, newest research shows pass-coverage and especially on the boundary is paramount. and it affects pass-rush more than pass-rush affects CB play.    5. CB: yep, give me one more... I'm shutting down both sides of the field and hoping this gives additional time to my pass-rush to get there. They will play on island and I will scheme out everything else(i.e. slot receivers and TEs)... if I have to I will double away from them.    6. WILL: I want a sideline to sideline monster to clean up the run game and take on crossing routes in the short-intermediate middle in coverage.     7. EDGE: I still want a player capable of beating his man one-on-one on the line and creating pressure/affecting the pass when my pro-bowl CBs lock down their match ups.    So what do you think? Does it make sense?     
    • 23: R1P23 DL JAVON KINLAW SOUTH CAROLINA   35: R2P3 QB JORDAN LOVE UTAH STATE   55: R2P23 OT CALVIN THROCKMORTON OREGON   87: R3P23 LB TROY DYE OREGON   129: R4P23 S J.R. REED GEORGIA   166: R5P22 G NICK HARRIS WASHINGTON   201: R6P23 CB ESSANG BASSEY WAKE FOREST   203: R6P25 WR MICHAEL PITTMAN JR. USC   236: R7P23 CB KINDLE VILDOR GEORGIA SOUTHERN
    • DE NT DT DE   LB   CB CB   Nobody is scoring on me. 
    • Don't be ridiculous   Darius Leonard was an All-Pro his rookie year. Okereke will have a hard time matching that.
  • Members

    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 1,398

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • GoatBeard

      GoatBeard 604

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • colt18

      colt18 275

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Four2itus

      Four2itus 2,641

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IinD

      IinD 2,552

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Luck 4 president

      Luck 4 president 1,037

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • dodsworth

      dodsworth 1,034

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • chrisfarley

      chrisfarley 1,059

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...