Indianapolis Colts
Chloe6124

OLine problems?

Just a question. I dont no the answer. Is the mudd technique out dated with the speedier defensive lines in the league today?

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Just a question. I dont no the answer. Is the mudd technique out dated with the speedier defensive lines in the league today?

Have we even seen our entire first team line together yet? 

Well 1, Mudd isnt the head O-Line coach. 2, last year we were game planning 10 days in advance for O-line protections, and adapting our play calling to match what our O-line was capable of handling. 3) We were without Kelly and Nelson tonight.

I am of the R-E-L-A-X crowd until its a good sample size, IE 4 real games with real game plans, unless its obvious from the start

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I'm waiting to see how they perform in the regular season...but it is interesting that we haven't heard too many good things about the run game in TC. Even the first day against the Browns, where the Colts had the better day, it was said the one area we struggled in was the run game. Of course, we were without Kelly for a while and Nelson for a few days (including today's game).

But yeah, I'm still in wait and see mode until a few games into the regular season.

5 minutes ago, TheMarine said:

Well 1, Mudd isnt the head O-Line coach. 2, last year we were game planning 10 days in advance for O-line protections, and adapting our play calling to match what our O-line was capable of handling. 3) We were without Kelly and Nelson tonight.

I am of the R-E-L-A-X crowd until its a good sample size, IE 4 real games with real game plans, unless its obvious from the start

I thought Kelly played? I am not concerned. It was just a question.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'm waiting to see how they perform in the regular season...but it is worth noting that we haven't heard many good things about the run game in TC. Even the first day against the Browns, where the Colts had the better day, it was said the one area we struggled in was the run game.

Of course, we were without Kelly for a while and Nelson for a few days. Then again, we'll surely be down a man or two at some point throughout the regular season.

Apparently Mack had a good day Wed. Seems nobody really reported it.

Next week will be a big test against the Bears. Plus starters should play a half.

Kelly did play. It looked like the entire starting line minus Nelson. But even the broadcasters couldn’t get it right.

I’m not worried. Wait until week 1.

• Like 2

It will be huge to get Luck back with Kelly. It’s so important to call the right protection calls.

13 minutes ago, CamMo said:

Kelly did play. It looked like the entire starting line minus Nelson. But even the broadcasters couldn’t get it right.

I’m not worried. Wait until week 1.

I thought I seen Kelly in there. At one point in the early few series, they did have Andrews at center I believe. 

37 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'm waiting to see how they perform in the regular season...but it is interesting that we haven't heard too many good things about the run game in TC. Even the first day against the Browns, where the Colts had the better day, it was said the one area we struggled in was the run game. Of course, we were without Kelly for a while and Nelson for a few days (including today's game).

But yeah, I'm still in wait and see mode until a few games into the regular season.

I'm actually more worried about the run game than our OL.  I don't consider it a strong group.  I read where Ajai has been cleared but I don't see where he has signed anywhere.  I wouldn't be surprised if we bring him in to check him out.  I just don't think Ballard is done with trying to improve our run game.  

• Like 1

I thought it was Boehm for Nelson, and Andrews (60?) getting the starting nod?

And I stand corrected: Kelly was in for at least 3 series.

Still - I am relaxed til we see normal season otherwise

• Like 1

Should have not fired the OLINE coach who set the record for only giving up 18 sacks? Who came from New England who is always in the top tier of OLINE protection. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, mirobi48 said:

Should have not fired the OLINE coach who set the record for only giving up 18 sacks? Who came from New England who is always in the top tier of OLINE protection. 

We will see what happens when the season starts. They will have a good test at the chargers.

20 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

We have the same guys, should have the same results. 

We fired the oline coach and they are using different technique.

42 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm actually more worried about the run game than our OL.  I don't consider it a strong group.  I read where Ajai has been cleared but I don't see where he has signed anywhere.  I wouldn't be surprised if we bring him in to check him out.  I just don't think Ballard is done with trying to improve our run game.  

The run game proved itself last season. We are find. Right now it’s a oline issue.

Defenses are more able to stack the box with Brissett at QB rather than Luck also.

Andrews started for Nelson.  He did poorly to put it mildly in pass protection.  The other starters were out there. 

• Like 2

New coach and assistants. The whole O line group hasn't played that much together this preseason and TC. I dont recall Brissett taking any sacks tonight. Give it a real game or two before concluding there is a problem.

• Like 1

Hopefully when they get back at practice and planning for the chargers it will get better. I did see a tweet by Zach Hicks saying with this technique it could take time. Next week against the Bears will show a lot.

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Don’t know but lots of reason for concern.  The high number of holding penalties, the inability to establish the run and pick up short yardage with the game on the line, and continued failure to figure out that friggin sugar blitz after seeing it all week long in joint practices.  I know it’s preseason but come on! Our Oline is looking like it was over hyped coming into this season. Maybe they started smelling themselves or something.  But from here it looks like they still taking baby steps. And I don’t want to hear excuses about Q being out because he didn’t look that hot last week either.  Too many darn penalties from everyone on the line from the starters to the scrubs. 

I’m in the camp that we ran a vanilla everything today, including oline schemes. Obviously Nelson would have been a huge upgrade, but I’m not sweating it. If it’s a regular season game, and we’re playing like we are now, even with Nelson, I’ll officially hit the panic button. I believe in game 3 we will see different protections and blocking. Nothing vanilla. 

25 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I’m in the camp that we ran a vanilla everything today, including oline schemes. Obviously Nelson would have been a huge upgrade, but I’m not sweating it. If it’s a regular season game, and we’re playing like we are now, even with Nelson, I’ll officially hit the panic button. I believe in game 3 we will see different protections and blocking. Nothing vanilla. 

the sweep with Rogers was the most "exotic" play call of the game..

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s hard to say, we haven’t seen the entire offensive line in action. 

Trying to judge the oline without Nelson is like trying to judge the offense as a whole without Luck.  It’s not a true picture of what the unit is really capable of.

Offensive line play is almost ALWAYS the slowest unit to come around.    It's almost always that way.      Compound that with having a new OL coaching staff teaching new techniques and this explains the slow start out of the gate.

This will take some time.

The idea that Mudd should not have been brought back because the game has passed him by............       is comical.     And not in a good way.    

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mirobi48 said:

Dave DeGuilmo (sp?) was fired by the Pats after two seasons that the Pats viewed as unacceptable from their OL.    If you look at his resume',  he doesn't seem to stay anyplace too long for whatever reason.

The coaches we have have good to great resume's...    OL play is always the last unit to come around.    This is not a surprise.    Give it a little time.     Certainly more time than two pre-season games....

2 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

the sweep with Rogers was the most "exotic" play call of the game..

I can just see those sweeps being handed to P Campbell very soon. Also using him as a decoy on those should create some nice runs and play action.

There were a lot of stupid penalties, but the refs were flag happy, too. ("More flags than the United Nations.") It's hard to "do your job" in the context of what everyone else is supposed to be doing this early in the season. Communication is critical, and probably lacking at this point in time.

In summary: Not impressed but not worried either.

6 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

There were a lot of stupid penalties, but the refs were flag happy, too. ("More flags than the United Nations.") It's hard to "do your job" in the context of what everyone else is supposed to be doing this early in the season. Communication is critical, and probably lacking at this point in time.

In summary: Not impressed but not worried either.

I couldn't stand that one referee, Ron Winter back in the day. He used to throw a ton of flags a game. It seemed like every time the Colts played in a game he reffed, we lost too. See the Chargers playoff game in the 2008 season. He was calling everything against us and nothing on them.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I couldn't stand that one referee, Ron Winter back in the day. He used to throw a ton of flags a game. It seemed like every time the Colts played in a game he reffed, we lost too. See the Chargers playoff game in the 2008 season. He was calling everything against us and nothing on them.

Hopefully, the Referee Officiating Leadership Committee will weed out obviously biased refs before they call a game. I don't have much hope, myself. I couldn't stand Jeff Triplette (he retired) . He just made up the rules as he went.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Hopefully, the Referee Officiating Leadership Committee will weed out obviously biased refs before they call a game. I don't have much hope, myself. I couldn't stand Jeff Triplette (he retired) . He just made up the rules as he went.

Bill Leavy was another bad one. He was the main guy on that crew that officiated SB 40 (Pitt vs Seattle). Many still think that was the worst officiated SB of all-time. 

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

We will see what happens when the season starts. They will have a good test at the chargers.

We fired the oline coach and they are using different technique.

I am of the if it ain't broke, don't fix it crowd. If there is a drop off, would be a big mistake by our FO.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, krunk said:

I can just see those sweeps being handed to P Campbell very soon. Also using him as a decoy on those should create some nice runs and play action.

With the upgrade in WR, things should "open up" running and passing. TY, Cain, and Campbell all have the speed to sweep as well. Rogers even looked pretty darn good doing it. All that should allow us to create.

Some games left me frustrated last year in terms of play calling. It was a new O, and I know WR was limited and a mess last year, so tried not to be too critical. This year, there are simply no excuses not to creative. Big year for Reich IMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dave DeGuilmo (sp?) was fired by the Pats after two seasons that the Pats viewed as unacceptable from their OL.    If you look at his resume',  he doesn't seem to stay anyplace too long for whatever reason.

The coaches we have have good to great resume's...    OL play is always the last unit to come around.    This is not a surprise.    Give it a little time.     Certainly more time than two pre-season games....

Shoudn't have fired this guy when the guy he hired came from Denver and that line couldn't block anything.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Pete Marelli too he always kills us in penalties half of them nonesense

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bill Leavy was another bad one. He was the main guy on that crew that officiated SB 40 (Pitt vs Seattle). Many still think that was the worst officiated SB of all-time. 

It was he was a steelers fan that day.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

I am of the if it ain't broke, don't fix it crowd. If there is a drop off, would be a big mistake by our FO.

It wasn't broke they should have not fired the o-line coach that wasn't a smart move.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The officiating crew should be working in the fast food industry if they cant ref a game better than that.

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

The officiating crew should be working in the fast food industry if they cant ref a game better than that.

I remember Bob Lamey commenting on Ron Winter after that Chargers game in 2008 and it wasn't pretty. That was horribly officiated. We lost to a punter and a Ref that night basically. I am not sure we ever won a game when Ron Winter officiated and we were pretty unbeatable back then. I know everytime he reffed I cringed. 

One positive is Daniel Munyer (#66) putting together two solid outings at Guard.