Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN says that Safety is our biggest roster hole

EastStreet

biggest roster hole  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is our biggest roster hole?

It's not all bad lol. The title of the article is "The biggest roster hole for every top NFL playoff contender", so at least they call us a top playoff contender. They give us 57.9% chance to make the playoffs, and a 39.6% chance to win the AFC South.

Here's the snippet. 

Former first-round pick Malik Hooker is the starting free safety, but the Colts are looking for reliable production at strong safety and might be in the market late in camp if Clayton Geathers or someone else on their roster isn't the answer. Can fourth-round rookie Khari Willis develop quickly enough to help?

I do tend to agree with them at Strong Safety. I like Geathers, but I don't see him as a Tier 1 guy. Willis seems to be doing well, but I've also seen a lot of inconsistencies. I don't expect a rook to be a stud out of the gate (given his draft position), but I'm just not sure he's an answer. I'm still scratching my head that we signed Kindred (who is more of a box safety), and we have him competing at free safety. 

As discussed in other threads on the topic of what positions Ballard might go after (waiver claims), I think SS is one that will definitely get some looks.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27383245/the-biggest-roster-hole-every-top-nfl-playoff-contender

SS is a concern however, I think the biggest hole is at OT, Clarke sucks at OT and Smith is a Guard playing Tackle and doing so very well. Problem is, we have no other decent OT on the roster behind AC. Protecting Luck is key to this team’s success. A weak safety can be schemes to help, a weak OT and well have the cart standing by

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, csmopar said:

SS is a concern however, I think the biggest hole is at OT, Clarke sucks at OT and Smith is a Guard playing Tackle and doing so very well. Problem is, we have no other decent OT on the roster behind AC. Protecting Luck is key to this team’s success. A weak safety can be schemes to help, a weak OT and well have the cart standing by

In terms of depth, I agree that OT is a big concern. In terms of starters though, SS still gets my vote. I think I'm more sensitive this year to our DB situation given the upgraded Os and QBs we'll be facing. OT, SS, and iDL are my 3 areas that have to be addressed in the draft next year. I'm trying to be optimistic about iDL though. 

• Like 1

I agree on the depth of the tackle position and it's importance, but it's only a hole in the roster if there is a major injury... Strong safety is  weakness with or without injury. Runningback would be a glaring hole if Mack is not healthy, IMO. I think we addressed the linebacker position to keep that from being extremely detrimental like last year if Leonard would be out. Corner tight end and receiver is our strengths going forward for the foreseeable future, IMO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

It's not all bad lol. The title of the article is "The biggest roster hole for every top NFL playoff contender", so at least they call us a top playoff contender. They give us 57.9% chance to make the playoffs, and a 39.6% chance to win the AFC South.

Here's the snippet. 

I do tend to agree with them at Strong Safety. I like Geathers, but I don't see him as a Tier 1 guy. Willis seems to be doing well, but I've also seen a lot of inconsistencies. I don't expect a rook to be a stud out of the gate (given his draft position), but I'm just not sure he's an answer. I'm still scratching my head that we signed Kindred (who is more of a box safety), and we have him competing at free safety. 

As discussed in other threads on the topic of what positions Ballard might go after (waiver claims), I think SS is one that will definitely get some looks.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27383245/the-biggest-roster-hole-every-top-nfl-playoff-contender

We have only seen the man play 50% of snaps in a preseason game... You need to yet the guy play at least 2 seasons to see if he is the "answer" for an NFL position.  Too many fans anoint a player after a few games or a season (case in point.. Mahommes, Leonard, or Nelson) and place them in Canton. NFL is about consistency over time. Be patience and even keeled.

C/G 
 This is my biggest concern. When Kelly does go down it will totally change the effectiveness of all aspects of our offense.
 We need one guy that can play at C and G (dress on Sunday) that is a quality player. lol
I was very disappointed to see Haeg has dropped below 300. He has always had srength/power issues. This makes him expendable.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Introspect said:

We have only seen the man play 50% of snaps in a preseason game... You need to yet the guy play at least 2 seasons to see if he is the "answer" for an NFL position.  Too many fans anoint a player after a few games or a season (case in point.. Mahommes, Leonard, or Nelson) and place them in Canton. NFL is about consistency over time. Be patience and even keeled.

I'm pretty patient. The fact is however what is likely our 2 deep at SS, is going to be somewhat suspect. Geathers with his history, and Willis being rookie. Some folks have already anointed Willis as starter (I'm not one of them). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

Speaking strictly from a starters standpoint, ironically, I think our biggest weakness is K. Vinatieri is injured and Hedlund is an unproven rookie.

Should have found vinny replacement  long ago. Need to get younger at kicker

• Like 1

I hope im wrong but I feel our biggest weakness is our depth at DT. We only have 1 DT over 300 lbs, that being Grover Stewart (315). The other 3 DT's (Autry, Hunt & Lewis) average 285 lbs. We should be set at putting pressure on QB's but I fear we may struggle stopping the run up front. I know weight isn't everything but its always nice to have a couple big uglies on the roster that can clog up the middle.

• Like 2

i said the same thing a couple weeks ago and had people questioning me.  i see hooker and a bunch of guys at the other spot.  

thats probably fine, but if hooker gets hurt then safety will start looking like a big hole imo 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

I agree with OT...

OT, DE, DT, are the top 3 I'm uneasy about.

Winning in the trenches is what I see from my own list.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I like our safeties.  Oline depth and rb depth  a concern

I agree with this.  The ol has excellent starters need better backups at tackle at least for now.  The rbs are solid as backups and I like Mack a lot but a true game changing starter would be perfect.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I agree with this.  The ol has excellent starters need better backups at tackle at least for now.  The rbs are solid as backups and I like Mack a lot but a true game changing starter would be perfect.  

How many teams have a game changing starter? I think our RBBC approach is perfectly fine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

How many teams have a game changing starter? I think our RBBC approach is perfectly fine.

the good teams last year did have that guy for the most part.  the patriots didnt have a star, but they had a first round rookie that was a contributor 

saints, chiefs and rams all had a star rb

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Yup.  I was being nit picky.   I think the team as a whole is set pretty well but if we have to pick where a hole is I thought those were it.  

55 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

I hope im wrong but I feel our biggest weakness is our depth at DT. We only have 1 DT over 300 lbs, that being Grover Stewart (315). The other 3 DT's (Autry, Hunt & Lewis) average 285 lbs. We should be set at putting pressure on QB's but I fear we may struggle stopping the run up front. I know weight isn't everything but its always nice to have a couple big uglies on the roster that can clog up the middle.

That's absolutely intentional on Ballard and the front office's part. We don't want big guys that clog up the middle. We want guys like Autry that can get off the ball, get in their gaps and be disruptive. Our run defense was better last year than it EVER was under Pagano and his big nasty 3-4 defense. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the good teams last year did have that guy for the most part.  the patriots didnt have a star, but they had a first round rookie that was a contributor 

saints, chiefs and rams all had a star rb

What do you consider a star RB. I think Mack was a star the second half of the season. Mack only had around 30 less yards then Michel and one less game.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What do you consider a star RB. I think Mack was a star the second half of the season.

well Hunt led the league, so i think qualifies him with the chiefs.  Gurley is a star

Kamara had almost as many receiving  yards as rushing yards, he had a nice follow up to winning roty.  i dont see mack as a star yet, the guys listed are on another tier along with Zeke 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

well Hunt led the league, so i think qualifies him with the chiefs.  Gurley is a star

Kamara had almost as many receiving  yards as rushing yards, he had a nice follow up to winning roty.  i dont see mack as a star yet, the guys listed are on another tier along with Zeke 

Well I don’t think you need flash at RB to win A SB. The patriots did it without a flashy guy. Mack would of been top five if he had played all 16 games. He ran the clock out in that Houston game like a super star should. Mack only had around 30 less yards and one less game then Michel.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The oline is much more important than the actual RB when it comes to the running game.

that gets said a lot and i dont agree.  i think someone like zeke or gurley would be a big upgrade over mack

those guys have produced their whole career, mack had a good half season

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

I feel all those guys you listed make plays in the regular season.  DE, besides Houston, is pretty unproven IMHO. Hopefully  Muhammed and Turay shine and stay healthy.

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

a lot of folks forget about Webb. He was doing a very good job until he got hurt. I think he’s a very above average back up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

I think our biggest hole is Nose tackle. We don’t really have a giant corn fed son of a gun like woods to fill that run stopping gap role.

Maybe you’ll notice that appears to be a conscious decision by management. 

The biggest of the colts tackles this year made an effort to lose significant weight. 

Think the team team views their DTs differently. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dodsworth said:

We have absolutely no quality backups on the O line. 

Yet Pellisaro says that is one of the position groups the Colts have already had or will be getting calls on along with WR and CB.  I am very uncomfortable with Clark but I do like Boehm, Garcia, Andrews and Webb.  

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

No team has lots of depth on the Oline anymore. there are not even 32 good starters at LT

Agree. Except maybe Philly, no NFL team has solid depth behind their starters at OL. And it's not just because are not enough quality OL-men out there. That's a reason too, but no one spends big money on a position, where backups never see the field if the starters are healthy. OL is like QB, if they're healthy, they play 100% snaps. Teams never sign a franchise caliber QB as backup, and never sign a good tackle as backup. When Jawuan James costs 13mills per year, Ryan Jensen costs 10.5 mill, it's too expensive. Teams either sign backups for 1-2-3 mills - and for that money you can get what you get - or experiment with young guys who are cheap, but most of the time, not ready. Or at least not as ready as the starters.

Regarding injuries, if we take possible injuries into account, then the most glaring hole will always be QB. For every team. And, replacing an elite player is never seamless, it's always a much bigger dropoff than replacing an OK starter. Hooker is an example. He is the best player of the secondary, of course it would be more difficult to replace him, than Desir or Moore or Geathers. And it's true, regardless of depth. WR is a deep position for the Colts, but still, if T.Y. goes down, that's a big problem.

No one would've said safety was a glaring hole for the Chargers yesterday. Derwin James got injured, and now? There's a glaring hole there. It's inevitable, when a player like James is missing.

So, in my opinion, there is no "glaring hole" any more on this roster. There were glaring holes in 2017, and in some extent, in 2018, but not in 2019. This roster is quite deep at  every positions (except maybe RB), where being "deep" is possible at all. (Imo OL is not such a position).

But there's still lack of talent - or should I rather say lack of elite-ish production, 'cause talent might be already there, but still developing - at numerous positions. IDL, edge, S, and I consider CB such a position too. We have great depth there, but partially because we do not have a Ramsey/Gilmore/Peterson who we have to replace if injured. Once we will have such an elite player, then a rookie like Ya-Sin probably won't replace him as easily as he would replace someone like Desir. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

I like our safeties.  Oline depth and rb depth  a concern

I like our safeties too but RB is a concern.  I find the fact that Ballard brought in Ajai and a few other players recovering from injury early could signal some concern with that group.  RB's have come and gone in camp as well.  Now Foreman is here.  We might not be done trying to upgrade that group.  Today Mack is the guy but I think they are really trying to find a strong all around number two.