Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is going to lose a roster spot.

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

If it's a WR, it's probably both Fountain and Pascal getting cut.

If it's a DB, it might be Collins or Odom.

Also possible that Banogu comes back during the remainder of the preseason, does well enough, and injured 9 year veteran Jabaal Sheard gets cut.

I forgot about sheard. He is going to take another roster spot. They might be better putting f him on IR for half the season instead of taking a roster spot if he is not ready game one.

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Someone that was going to make this team is now going to not make it due to having to carry three QB. It’s going to be harder to keep a sixth receiver. A guy like fountain or pascal may end up on the outside looking in.

what is your guess!

7 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Also possible that Banogu comes back during the remainder of the preseason, does well enough, and injured 9 year veteran Jabaal Sheard gets cut.

From what I'm reading is that Fountain is eating everyone's lunch

that's not named TY Hilton or Funchess.

9 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

From what I'm reading is that Fountain is eating everyone's lunch

that's not named TY Hilton or Funchess.

Yeah, I still find it funny that everyone esteems Cain more than Fountain.  Fountain is the better athlete, he’s having every bit as good a TC as Cain, he’s without the injury history, and his intangibles/work ethic are off the chart.  

More on point, I have my eye on Wilkins.  He hasn’t been able to do much this TC,  while Jonathan Willams has been establishing himself as RB3...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Archer said:

Yeah, I still find it funny that everyone esteems Cain more than Fountain.  Fountain is the better athlete, he’s having every bit as good a TC as Cain, he’s without the injury history, and his intangibles/work ethic are off the chart.  

More on point, I have my eye on Wilkins.  He hasn’t been able to do much this TC,  while Jonathan Willams has been establishing himself as RB3...

Wilkins is injured. They are still working on what is the best path for him.

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wilkins is injured. They are still working on what is the best path for him.

Yeah, but his spot on the team isn’t necessarily guaranteed.  Going with three RBs sounds better to me than cutting Cain, Fountain, or Rogers...

I think the team doc should lose his spot.

just some blurbs on IR, and IR-Designated Return status.....

Injured Reserve (IR)

NFL teams are permitted to place any number of players on Injured Reserve at the start of the season. Any player on the IR list counts against the salary cap, but not against the 53-man roster limit. These players are ineligible to play again for the same team during the current season, but they can be cut and then go on to sign with another team. These players may not practice with their team at any time, but can attend team meetings and be around the team. Last year for the first time the NFL changed the IR rules to allow for two NFL players from each team to be eligible to come off IR after eight weeks of being on the list...

IR-Return Designation

Not everyone who ends up on IR has to see their season end for good. Players must remain on IR for eight weeks before being eligible to rejoin their teams in Week 9 via the IR-Return Designation. The NFL changed the IR-return designation in 2017 so that teams are allowed to bring two players back from IR. Previously, the rule allowed just one player to return from the list.

This was a great change for teams as most clubs have more than one injured player capable of returning at some point in the season.

In 2016, the Bengals had an unfortunate situation in which running back Cedric Peerman and cornerback William Jackson III were both healthy enough to come off of IR, but Peerman ended up getting the one to get the only nod. Had this new IR-return rule been in place, both players would have been able to come off IR.

Last year, the NFL changed the IR with return designation so that you no longer have to designate the player who will get the designation at the time they are placed on the list. Now, teams can bring back any two players they've placed on IR at any time after the eight week mandate to be on the list has been met.

Previously, if a team wanted to use the one return designation spot, they had to declare it when the player was placed on IR. Now, they can just see who is getting healthy quickly, and take them off IR after they’ve been on the list for eight weeks (or more).

One constraint here is that a player must be on the 53-man roster in Week 1 to be eligible for the IR designation to return. That means, anyone who was placed on IR before roster cuts were made to trim the roster down to 53 players is not eligible.

For example, the Bengals used a roster spot on quarterback Jeff Driskel in 2017, but he was moved on IR two days later, making him eligible for the return designation. The Bengals did bring him back later on in the season once he was healthy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Someone that was going to make this team is now going to not make it due to having to carry three QB. It’s going to be harder to keep a sixth receiver. A guy like fountain or pascal may end up on the outside looking in.

what is your guess!

uhh just let a TE go end of story we have plenty

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

what is your guess!

Who is going to lose the last spot on the roster?  No one that you can't replace any given week.  Look how often transactions happen during any given week of the season.  The guy who gets cut will most likely be available again.... Long and short of it, it's really of no consequence.

4 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Who is going to lose the last spot on the roster?  No one that you can't replace any given week.  Look how often transactions happen during any given week of the season.  The guy who gets cut will most likely be available again.... Long and short of it, it's really of no consequence.

We have quality depth. It could hurt the depth of this team. Imagine if we are able to keep Fountain but this issue prevents that.

They can't keep any more or less than any other team can.  If you cut your 53rd player, there's plenty more just as talented and more on the street come start of season.  Carrying an extra qb a few weeks won't  cause them much lost sleep over the worst guy on the roster, in management and coaches eyes....

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Odin will not be cut , Kindred is gone before him . Hooker, Farley, Geathers, Odum and Willis will all be on the roster.

2 hours ago, Archer said:

I don’t Believe Fountain is the better Athlete imo, he’s only really started to have a great camp as of the last week and a half. Cain is on a pitch count so you won’t hear his name as much but when he gets his reps he makes noise. They are higher on Cain than Fountain if you ask me. 

• Like 1

Just now, Shafty138 said:

I could see Farley out, it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

It's not likely given his track record and familiarity with the defense. If Geathers or Hooker went down I’m sure the FO would feel much more comfortable with Farley in the lineup.

11 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

I don’t Believe Fountain is the better Athlete imo, he’s only really started to have a great camp as of the last week and a half. Cain is on a pitch count so you won’t hear his name as much but when he gets his reps he makes noise. They are higher on Cain than Fountain if you ask me. 

in terms of pure athletic ability, Fountain probably is better. In terms of refinement (routes, football acumen, big time D1 experience, etc.,) Cain wins hands down.

2 hours ago, Archer said:

Like PC32 said, Cain is on pitch count. And don't forget, Kelly was tossing much much better passes, and more passes to Fountain (and Fountain went against the Bill scrubs). Cain was stuck with Walker with less snaps and less targets, and went against better D. I love both guys, but TC has been very positive to both, and the Bills game is nothing to judge on.

More than likely a couple guys get dealt for a 6th or 7th rounder. You can't "hide" someone on IR, the Colts will have to release him first to bring him into IR, unless it's after the 53 are announced, but by then we'd have to release the guy we're looking to keep.

9 hours ago, Archer said:

Yeah, but his spot on the team isn’t necessarily guaranteed.  Going with three RBs sounds better to me than cutting Cain, Fountain, or Rogers...

You make a great point, 

I like Wilkins, but it will be a tough choice, and it may come down to last roster spot being Rogers, or Wilkins

Punt and kick returns have become a non factor for the most part in the NFL, with a very high number being fair caught or a touchback

I think between the two, I would keep Wilkins

8 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

in terms of pure athletic ability, Fountain probably is better. In terms of refinement (routes, football acumen, big time D1 experience, etc.,) Cain wins hands down.

If you don’t mind me asking, why do you think Fountain has more pure athletic ability? From my research the only thing he beat Cain in was Vert which grades out to being more explosive I guess. I’m just not sold he’s more athletic I could be wrong though. 

• Like 1

Fountain beat him by a bunch in the vert (42.5 vs 33.5). 33.5 is very good, but 42.5 is just crazy.

Fountain won the broad jump 134-115 as well. Both of those would have ranked first at the Combine. In all fairness, Fountain did not go to the combine, and pro-days can certainly be suspect in terms of home cooking. Regardless, even if home cooked a little, it's fair to say Fountain has a better vert and broad jump. Cain is faster though in the 40. 

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

We have quality depth. It could hurt the depth of this team. Imagine if we are able to keep Fountain but this issue prevents that.

There are always guys we hate to see cut. 
  So if we are 5 deep at WR after the 53 man cut, it just isn't enough?
Life is tough.

2 hours ago, ColtJax said:

More than likely a couple guys get dealt for a 6th or 7th rounder. You can't "hide" someone on IR, the Colts will have to release him first to bring him into IR, unless it's after the 53 are announced, but by then we'd have to release the guy we're looking to keep.

Only non vested players (those with less than four years of service) have to go through waivers before going to IR. And that restriction goes away after the third preseason game. So at cut down time, they can place any player on IR without waivers.

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

Only non vested players (those with less than four years of service) have to go through waivers before going to IR. And that restriction goes away after the third preseason game. So at cut down time, they can place any player on IR without waivers.

True, but to be eligible to return from IR this year, he would have to be on the initial 53-man roster on cutdown day, correct?

Just now, Nulled said:

Chester Rogers isn't going to make it.

I fear you are correct.  Many note that he’s the clear #2 slot guy, and Parris has a bad hammy.  However, we have a creative system that make do if we lack a traditional slot guy for a period of time.   With Cain and Fountain looking like great pieces for the future, Rogers seems most expendable.  It’ll be a close call - if we kept only three TEs or three RBs, we could afford to keep six WRs...

1 hour ago, Archer said:

True, but to be eligible to return from IR this year, he would have to be on the initial 53-man roster on cutdown day, correct?

Teams in that situation just waive guys at the bottom of the depth chart that they think will not be claimed. They sign them to the PS, and as soon as the 53 is official, they put the star on IR and move the PS guy back to the 53. Basically a shell game with a little risk. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I would be very surprised if Fountain or Odom were cut.

19 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

what is your guess!

There is actually a worse scenario. If Luck has to miss the first game, we have to sign a 4th QB. Chad Kelly is suspended for the first two games. If Luck is out, that only leaves Jacoby. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ColtJ82 said:

There is actually a worse scenario. If Luck has to miss the first game, we have to sign a 4th QB. Chad Kelly is suspended for the first two games. If Luck is out, that only leaves Jacoby. 

does Kelly count against the 53 during the first two games?