Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay’s comments on Luck

I think some need to accept that we aren’t entitled to know every little detail regarding injuries.  That’s just the way it is in the NFL.  

Thats why ive been so skeptical of what the Colts have said from the start.  I figured they weren’t telling us everything because it just didn’t add up and I know they aren’t obligated to tell everything.  

I know it’s frustrating and leads to speculation all over the place but that’s just the way it is and I don’t think the NFL is going to change.

2 minutes ago, Restored said:

So basically, Luck can play through the injury and will have it linger throughout the year.

I've seen a little bit of everything....

I've seen, he can play through it. I've seen it can take 6 months depending on where it is. And I've seen he can likely play through it, but it will require surgery at some point when the bone growth completes.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Our PR department is doing horribly with those injuries. :scratch:

The PR department is barely involved in this.    They are told what to say by the General Manager,  by the Owner,  or by the medical team.    One of them,  some of them,  or all of them.

They take their marching orders.

And the PR department certainly doesn't tell the owner or the GM or anyone else what to say.

The PR department are foot soldiers....    they take their orders and march.

A typical PR department for many NFL teams,  might consist of 3-4 paid people.    The top person, who might be 45-60 years old and might make $50 to $100k depending on how long he's been there.    The 2nd person might be 35-45 and it's his 2nd PR job and he might make $40-$60k.  The third person on the team might be someone a few years out of college.    Maybe he worked a small paying job for a college for a few years.    Now he's doing NFL PR.    Maybe he's 25-30.  And he/she is making $35-$45.

And their is also a secretary and their pay depends on how long they've been with the team.  So, maybe $35-45?

These are rough guesstimates.   They might be somewhat higher in some places,  and somewhat lower in others.    Be they're pretty good ballpark figures.

These people are not giving orders,  they are taking them.    Way too low on the food chain.   This is how the NFL world spins.....

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The PR department is barely involved in this.    They are told what to say by the General Manager,  by the Owner,  or by the medical team.    One of them,  some of them,  or all of them.

They take their marching orders.

And the PR department certainly doesn't tell the owner or the GM or anyone else what to say.

The PR department are foot soldiers....    they take their orders and march.

A typical PR department for many NFL teams,  might consist of 3-4 paid people.    The top person, who might be 45-60 years old and might make $50 to $100k depending on how long he's been there.    The 2nd person might be 35-45 and it's his 2nd PR job and he might make $40-$60k.  The third person on the team might be someone a few years out of college.    Maybe he worked a small paying job for a college for a few years.    Now he's doing NFL PR.    Maybe he's 25-30.  And he/she is making $35-$45.

And their is also a secretary and their pay depends on how long they've been with the team.  So, maybe $35-45?

These people are not giving orders,  they are taking them.    Way too low on the food chain.   This is how the NFL world spins.....

You are missing the point. I'm not laying blame at at the PR person's feet. I'm laying the blame at whoever has built that structure of communication with multiple different people at different levels of the team conveying seemingly conflicting and incomplete information. The whole PR process(starting with Irsay and finishing with whoever the foot soldiers are) regarding injuries with the Colts has been very flawed for a while now. 

2 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

lol dang, its weird seeing my son being an infant again.. my hair seems a little longer.. just weird seeing my wife and children 2 years younger.. I swear I was gonna celebrate 2 years at my job, but they just scheduled my new hire orientation?

wth is going on? Someone help!!  

Did you mean to post this to Facebook?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

The NFL is an entertainment business. They make all of their money off of "the fans". If I am going to a broadway play or a concert I have every right to be told who will be performing so I can decide how to use my time. Fans certainly have a right to know who is going to play and who is not going to play. 

You haven't been to many Broadway plays have you?... You NEVER are guaranteed to see specific people perform during those performances. On any given night, understudies fill in for the key cast members. And you do have the right to know who the cast is, but you will likely already be seated for the show... 

Furthermore, NFL teams don't have to rule players out until hours before gametime. But they do have to inform us... although you've already purchased the tickets to the game, likely started making the trip if not already there, and there is no room for recourse until it's too late... so I'm having a hard time following what the hell you are trying to say in this post. 

• Like 4

So how many of those do they need to botch(i.e. misslead the public about) for it to become unprofessional at the very least? 

I'm very far from being conspiratorial here. All I'm saying is that their process is obviously flawed. You have a player, a coach, a GM and the owner all giving seemingly conflicting information about Luck's injury. I'm very far from thinking they go out with the purpose of misleading the public. No, they don't... they just don't know enough to be able to relay a consistent and coherent message without contradicting... or at the very least sounding like they are contradicting each other. 

I take issue with your use of the word "mislead," which carries the connotation of specific intent. A synonym would be "lie." 

Apparently what's happened here is the situation has developed over the course of three months. There's no evidence anyone has said anything that they didn't think to be true at the time it was said.

And while you might not be conspiratorial, others are. Still, I would say you're doing a lot of finger pointing.

True... unless you consistently mislead your fanbase about the injuries of your most important player and continue to tell them he will be ready for game 1(just like your did the previous time... ) and don't deliver on those promises. 

This is not a disaster indeed. At least not, yet. 

I get it that you are not phased by those injuries and how information about them is relayed, but the media and most fans are... just watch the %storm if Luck doesn't start game 1.  This has the potential to be a complete PR disaster. 

The bolded is flat out wrong. It's inaccurate, incorrect, false.

In 2017, the Colts didn't promise anything. As a matter of fact, Ballard's continual expression was 'there is no timetable.' Just because you didn't listen doesn't mean they misled you. (I will agree that Irsay was misleading in his preseason in-game interview; a few days before the season he acted like there was a legitimate chance that Luck would be able to play in the opener, and I think it was obvious that wasn't going to happen. I think anyone who bought into what he said was guilty of some naivete, though.) 

Same thing in 2015. Luck was week to week, and was ruled out every Wednesday. No one promised anything.

In this situation, the Colts have not promised anything, at any point. They've made reserved statements indicating that they are optimistic that Luck will be able to play Week 1, and they've offered nothing more than that. Anyone reading into any of the team's comments anything more than that is speculating. 

Along the way, the situation has evolved, and that's apparently normal for this kind of injury (if indeed Luck is dealing with MO). 

I don't see this as a PR issue at all. It's an injury issue, and it's out of anyone's control. If you expect any member of the Colts staff -- including the medical team -- to be able to give specific answers about Luck's injury or when he'll be back, I think that's a problem with your expectations. Even if they handled the communication on this exactly like you wanted, we'd still be sitting here in mid August with Luck not practicing, so there's really no difference. The problem is everyone speculating, with little to speculate on.

End of the day, they don't know when he'll be able to play. And unless there's been some medical malpractice, that's not their fault. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

Well, saying it was a "muscular" earlier, and now flipping to "bone", really doesn't inspire thoughts of transparency. IIRC, they also said surgery wasn't in the cards. If it's a bone issue that people are speculating about, surgeries are common once the bone growth completes.

We don't know what it is right now, but while there might not be evidence that they are hiding anything, it's pretty clear reality has "changed" a bit.

Also, I'll point out that being compliant with rules, doesn't necessarily equate to being honest with the fan base.

It only takes a few minutes of research to learn that MO can go undetected for weeks. It can be the result of trauma to a limb, which the body responds to with a bony growth that can have a mind of its own.

Reality changes all the time. It's called further development. Do you call the team dishonest when they change the starting lineup at kickoff?

To the bolded, I'll point out that expecting complete transparency from an NFL team on the subject of player injury is myopic, at best. They disclose what they are required to disclose, and they make efforts not to disclose anything they have not received consent to disclose. The only thing fans and the media should expect is compliance.

And I'll add a personal note here: I live in SoCal. I intend to take my family to the Colts/Chargers opener out here. I've held off on buying tickets for one reason: I don't know Luck's status. Two years ago, I held off on buying tickets to Colts/Rams for the same reason. I think it sucks, and I'm kind of irritated about it. But I also know that the Colts a) don't know whether Luck is going to play in the opener, and b) aren't obligated to make a definitive statement about it one way or the other. So I'm left dangling in the wind -- as a fan who wants to give them a few hundred dollars of my hard earned money, that they don't actually need -- and that's irritating. But that's how it goes. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

It only takes a few minutes of research to learn that MO can go undetected for weeks. It can be the result of trauma to a limb, which the body responds to with a bony growth that can have a mind of its own.

Reality changes all the time. It's called further development. Do you call the team dishonest when they change the starting lineup at kickoff?

To the bolded, I'll point out that expecting complete transparency from an NFL team on the subject of player injury is myopic, at best. They disclose what they are required to disclose, and they make efforts not to disclose anything they have not received consent to disclose. The only thing fans and the media should expect is compliance.

And I'll add a personal note here: I live in SoCal. I intend to take my family to the Colts/Chargers opener out here. I've held off on buying tickets for one reason: I don't know Luck's status. Two years ago, I held off on buying tickets to Colts/Rams for the same reason. I think it sucks, and I'm kind of irritated about it. But I also know that the Colts a) don't know whether Luck is going to play in the opener, and b) aren't obligated to make a definitive statement about it one way or the other. So I'm left dangling in the wind -- as a fan who wants to give them a few hundred dollars of my hard earned money, that they don't actually need -- and that's irritating. But that's how it goes. 

MO can go undetected, sure.... but you do detect it with MRIs/scans/x-rays which there have been plenty. We may never know, but I'd bet they've known for some time.

Like I said, we aren't entitled to anything. But lack of transparency will impact trust and how fans view the FO. And the FO shouldn't be surprised when fans get irritated or question things. Compliance, legal, etc. are all words that fans don't really care about. And sure, that's "how it goes", but it cuts both ways.

On a personal level, sorry about your situation. I'm in the same boat. I moved 500+ miles away from Indy, but almost bought season tickets again after last season. I still have a huge amount of family and friends in Indy and the surrounding area. I figured I'd fly back for 4ish games, and sell or give family the rest..... Glad I didn't lol. 

7 hours ago, coltsva said:

Perhaps this?

Fibula stress fracture

Fibula stress fracture may cause calf pain. The calf muscles attach to the fibula bone, so the traction and twisting forces of the muscles can cause a stress fracture. Symptoms consist of:

Pain at the back of the lower leg, which may be more towards the outside.

This injury would make putting weight on the leg pain, and the calf pain is likely to increase with exercise.

Yeah, it usually takes 4 to 6 weeks to heal but it also depends on what bone is broken. With rest and once the pain goes away he can get back to full activity. But haven said all that this has been going on since April which means he tried to do to much to early hence the setback.  

7 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

MO can go undetected, sure.... but you do detect it with MRIs/scans/x-rays which there have been plenty. We may never know, but I'd bet they've known for some time.

Like I said, we aren't entitled to anything. But lack of transparency will impact trust and how fans view the FO. And the FO shouldn't be surprised when fans get irritated or question things. Compliance, legal, etc. are all words that fans don't really care about. And sure, that's "how it goes", but it cuts both ways.

On a personal level, sorry about your situation. I'm in the same boat. I moved 500+ miles away from Indy, but almost bought season tickets again after last season. I still have a huge amount of family and friends in Indy and the surrounding area. I figured I'd fly back for 4ish games, and sell or give family the rest..... Glad I didn't lol. 

I don’t think the Colts care what fans think of their front office.  The guys saying these things are focused on winning football games not what fans think about it.  That’s not exclusive to the Colts either that’s any coach or GM in sports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Our PR department is doing horribly with those injuries. :scratch:

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Because they are instilling panic in the media and thus in the fanbase.

True... unless you consistently mislead your fanbase about the injuries of your most important player and continue to tell them he will be ready for game 1(just like your did the previous time... ) and don't deliver on those promises. 

You are welcomed to continue to share this rhetoric, but it doesn't make it so. 

I am so thankful at how transparent this franchise has been. They have shared more than they should....and this is a perfect example. Like I have used as an example many times, you can feel really betrayed by McDonald's. Heck, you can even picket out front of their businesses. Unfortunately, folks will likely tell you to get out of the way so they can get to their food. 

If the Colts were truly trying to hide something, in most cases, you would not even know about it. Furthermore, I checked the front and back of a ticket stub for a Colts game. It basically says you can get in to watch the game. That's it. Never been a season ticket holder but I doubt that the paperwork that comes with that promises any kind of disclosure either. 

It appears that you and a great many others feel wronged, but from where I stand, it looks like your only recourse is to stop supporting? No, I am not being flippant. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

It can go undetected and imaging can be inconclusive for weeks. It can be difficult to see on x-rays, and it can be obscured in MRIs by localized edema. It's possible for someone to deal with pain and discomfort for a prolonged period of time before a conclusive diagnosis is made.

You bet they've known for some time, but you have no evidence to support that claim.

See but that's my point. Don't trust teams about injuries. They aren't going to give you complete and thorough information, because they don't have to and in many cases don't have consent to do so. 

If fans get irritated because a team isn't doing something the team shouldn't rightfully be expected to do, I don't blame the team. I blame the person holding the improper expectations. If I expect my company to give me a fat bonus, and they don't, it's probably my fault for expecting something they never indicating they were going to give. You might as well get mad at the team for not telling you who they're drafting beforehand. 

Yeah, it's not the best situation. I could buy the tickets and just enjoy the team, and I still might, but I'm kind of deflated about the whole thing at the moment. We'll see... 

44 minutes ago, Superman said:

The bolded is flat out wrong. It's inaccurate, incorrect, false.

In 2017, the Colts didn't promise anything. As a matter of fact, Ballard's continual expression was 'there is no timetable.' Just because you didn't listen doesn't mean they misled you. (I will agree that Irsay was misleading in his preseason in-game interview; a few days before the season he acted like there was a legitimate chance that Luck would be able to play in the opener, and I think it was obvious that wasn't going to happen. I think anyone who bought into what he said was guilty of some naivete, though.

So... it wasn't actually "flat out wrong. It's inaccurate, incorrect, false." Was it? Did our team's owner say Luck will be ready for game 1 or not? Do you count that as misleading the fanbase? Come on. Lets stop playing that nonsense game. It's OK to point out the few things the owner and new management are doing wrong. Here's what I want from the team in order to avoid future embarrassments(because the Luck situation was embarrassing for the team on national level in 2017)...

Stop saying things like "if the game was tomorrow he would play"... stop saying "he will be ready for game 1". Let the doctors talk about the major(be it severity or major as in QB or probowlers getting injured) injuries at every stage of recovery(that would include when the player gets injured, when he gets cleared to play, when there is a setback or new/changing information about the development of those injuries, etc). You don't have to have them there every day or even every week. Luck gets injured in April - let the doctor say his 2 cents. Luck develops this current condition, get the doctor in front of the media to give update with what the expected change of course is. Luck gets cleared for practice - let the doctor announce it and answer questions about it.

Along the way, the situation has evolved, and that's apparently normal for this kind of injury (if indeed Luck is dealing with MO). 

I don't see this as a PR issue at all. It's an injury issue, and it's out of anyone's control. If you expect any member of the Colts staff -- including the medical team -- to be able to give specific answers about Luck's injury or when he'll be back, I think that's a problem with your expectations. Even if they handled the communication on this exactly like you wanted, we'd still be sitting here in mid August with Luck not practicing, so there's really no difference. The problem is everyone speculating, with little to speculate on.

Again... you are missing the point here. This is not about Luck's injury. Nothing here is about Luck's injury. It will be whatever it is whether the media and fans are informed about it or not and he will play or not whether the fans are informed about it or not. This is not about THIS! This is about the trust you are losing by not having a clear and consistent message about your franchise QB's injury only one year after he missed a full season with another injury you failed to be clear and consistent about. And yes - EVERYONE IS SPECULATING. Can you guess WHY? The media and forums are filled with couch doctors and twitter doctors because THE COLTS DOCTORS are nowhere to be found and noone FROM THE COLTS is giving you good information you can trust. This is why everyone is speculating. I am shocked how this is surprising to anyone - when there is no good information from the team that's supposed to have the good information, there will be plenty of speculation from people who have no or bad information. 

The problem is the Colts seem content with that situation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think the Colts care what fans think of their front office.  The guys saying these things are focused on winning football games not what fans think about it.  That’s not exclusive to the Colts either that’s any coach or GM in sports.

Do you think they do all the charity and volunteer stuff because they don't care about their public image? The NFL has never been more image conscious socially and to fans.

Just now, coltsfeva said:

The “bright spot “ I read in the article it’s his left leg which wouldn’t seem as critical as his plant leg. 

His left leg is his plant leg. That explains why he was limited in his throwing earlier in the offseason.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

It can go undetected and imaging can be inconclusive for weeks. It can be difficult to see on x-rays, and it can be obscured in MRIs by localized edema. It's possible for someone to deal with pain and discomfort for a prolonged period of time before a conclusive diagnosis is made.

You bet they've known for some time, but you have no evidence to support that claim.

See but that's my point. Don't trust teams about injuries. They aren't going to give you complete and thorough information, because they don't have to and in many cases don't have consent to do so. 

If fans get irritated because a team isn't doing something the team shouldn't rightfully be expected to do, I don't blame the team. I blame the person holding the improper expectations. If I expect my company to give me a fat bonus, and they don't, it's probably my fault for expecting something they never indicating they were going to give. You might as well get mad at the team for not telling you who they're drafting beforehand. 

Yeah, it's not the best situation. I could buy the tickets and just enjoy the team, and I still might, but I'm kind of deflated about the whole thing at the moment. We'll see... 

I don't have any proof, but again, I'd bet... You have zero proof the other way. If you had to bet 1000 bucks (and would get the truth), would you say they just found out, or have known?

Again, what people expect, and what they should expect, are very different. Teams want to come off as pro-fan, pro-city, charitable, honest, kind, etc.. They do a lot to build their image. Right, wrong, or indifferent, the team has tried to set an expectation that hey "we love our fans, and we'll look out for you and the city of Indy".... When they should really say "hey, we love fans to buy tickets, and we'll stay in the your city as long as we're profitable"..... I'm a realist. I don't expect them to tell me everything, and I know they are about $. But... there is a level of hypocrisy.

8 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Do you think they do all the charity and volunteer stuff because they don't care about their public image? The NFL has never been more image conscious socially and to fans.

That has nothing to do with talking about injuries.  There is no competitive advantage to be gained from knowing if another team did charity or not.  There is one to be gained if you know how bad players are hurt.  

• Like 1