Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Chloe6124

Irsay’s comments on Luck

Recommended Posts

It suggested maybe this bone issue isn’t in the calf or leg at all. Reich did say a couple weeks ago thst the calf was the primary issue. He left it open there may be secondary issues. I just listened to irsays interview. He doesn’t sound concerned. He said a small bone issue that does not involve the Achilles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man though it would be nice to have a off season and training camp with no drama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Haven’t seen a time.

 If Ballard was smart he would have the team doctor there to discuss it.

 

Have a team doctor there to discuss a player's injury, without permission from the player. Do you want his imaging results and blood work also?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So let me sum this thread up so far from many posters. Irsay runs his mouth too much, Luck is a liar, Luck probably won't start in week 1, we are doomed, and fans are owed to know who is injured and what exactly it is. 

 

Did I just sum up everything?

 

Week 1 can't get here fast enough. This thread is making me 


To be fair on that part, unless Irsay specifically okay'd it with Luck or Ballard to air this out on the radio...then yeah, he probably should've kept quiet on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Have a team doctor there to discuss a player's injury, without permission from the player. Do you want his imaging results and blood work also?

Never said with out lucks consent. Obviously he would need his consent to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Never said with out lucks consent. Obviously he would need his consent to do that.


I think it's pretty apparent Luck wouldn't want to though and rightfully so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stitches said:

Our PR department is doing horribly with those injuries. :scratch:

 

Why is an injury a PR matter? 

 

I push back on this because it's way overblown. The NFL has rules about how player injuries are reported (I'm not sure how those rules apply prior to Week 1, but they're definitely more lax). There a privacy laws to consider (which is a grey area when it comes to injury reporting). Other than that, the team isn't obligated in any way to handle injury reporting in a way that makes the fans feel warm and fuzzy.

 

We know Luck is dealing with an injury. We don't know when he'll be ready to get on the field. I think it's obvious the team doesn't know, either. So what are they expected to do? What would be considered good PR?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Have a team doctor there to discuss a player's injury, without permission from the player. Do you want his imaging results and blood work also?

KC does that - they trust their medical staff enough to let their doctors talk to media about the injuries of their players and they do it with plenty of transparency. It's so much more professional than what the Colts are doing. You still can have some level of privacy they won't go past, but at least they let the information be conveyed by a professional who knows what he's talking about and won't leak new and new details bit by bit about a 'calf injury' that is going on for 4 months already... Here's an example: 

 

https://www.chiefs.com/video/rick-burkholder-gives-an-injury-update

 

This is the Chiefs VP of Sports Medicine and Sports performance giving update for their injuries

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Never said with out lucks consent. Obviously he would need his consent to do that.

 

You realize that's entirely unreasonable, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Have a team doctor there to discuss a player's injury, without permission from the player. Do you want his imaging results and blood work also?

 

At least put Pat MacAfee in a white coat and surgical mask with a thick Slovick accent speaking a bunch of gobbalty  guke about a bone.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stitches said:

KC does that - they trust their medical staff enough to let their doctors talk to media about the injuries of their players and they do it with plenty of transparency. It's so much more professional than what the Colts are doing. You still can have some level of privacy they won't go past, but at least they let the information be conveyed by a professional who knows what he's talking about and won't leak new and new details bit by bit about a 'calf injury' that is going on for 4 months already... Here's an example: 

 

https://www.chiefs.com/video/rick-burkholder-gives-an-injury-update

 

This is the Chiefs VP of Sports Medicine and Sports performance giving update for their injuries

 

I just don't care how it comes across. None of this matters, as it doesn't help Luck get ready to play. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Why is an injury a PR matter? 

 

I push back on this because it's way overblown. The NFL has rules about how player injuries are reported (I'm not sure how those rules apply prior to Week 1, but they're definitely more lax). There a privacy laws to consider (which is a grey area when it comes to injury reporting). Other than that, the team isn't obligated in any way to handle injury reporting in a way that makes the fans feel warm and fuzzy.

 

We know Luck is dealing with an injury. We don't know when he'll be ready to get on the field. I think it's obvious the team doesn't know, either. So what are they expected to do? What would be considered good PR?

 

Because they are instilling panic in the media and thus in the fanbase. Just go through this forum's threads and through the Indy media sites. First it was calf, then they were worried for it to not become a KD situation(Achilles), then it was something else down the ankle... then it's a 'little bone thing'. This is not a way to conduct business and be respectful to your fanbase. Look at how the Chiefs do it for example. Let the medical staff talk about it and don't drop bits and pieces of information like this is some Hansel and Gretel story and the fans and media should be able to find their way through the woods of misleading and incomplete information that just bumps up the anxiety levels of a team that already botched the communication about a previous injury of the same franchise QB. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Why is an injury a PR matter? 

 

I push back on this because it's way overblown. The NFL has rules about how player injuries are reported (I'm not sure how those rules apply prior to Week 1, but they're definitely more lax). There a privacy laws to consider (which is a grey area when it comes to injury reporting). Other than that, the team isn't obligated in any way to handle injury reporting in a way that makes the fans feel warm and fuzzy.

 

We know Luck is dealing with an injury. We don't know when he'll be ready to get on the field. I think it's obvious the team doesn't know, either. So what are they expected to do? What would be considered good PR?

I agree with you that they are under no obligation to say anything other than what they want, or anything at all.  The leg situation started with a calf-strain that has now migrated to a bone issue.  Maybe the Colts didn't know the source of the issue until recently, but I think stating it was a muscle strain when it turns out to be (usually) a more lingering bone issue  continues a pattern that some have complained about with Luck's injuries.

 

It sort of turns into a PR issue by the way it gets handled, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I agree with you, but I think the leg situation started with a calf-strain to a bone issue.  Maybe the Colts didn't know the source of the issue until recently, but I think stating it was a muscle strain when it turns out to be (usually) a more lingering bone issue  continues a pattern that some have complained about with Luck's injuries.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

 

I'm sure the media only knows what they are told. We're not getting this information from the media.

 

IIRC, the Colts (via Ballard) previously said it was muscular and now the Colts (via Irsay) say its bone related.

 

Maybe the Colts simply do not have a cohesive approach to how they discuss injuries in public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Because they are instilling panic in the media and thus in the fanbase.

You are a good poster, and pretty knowledgeable about the game. But the above comment is way off base, IMO. 

 

Saying that they don't know when Luck will be able to play again when they are pretty certain he will be able to play game one....could be described as instilling panic. The panic that is prevalent at this time is the result of guessing, finger pointing, accusing, and gossiping. The team is not instilling panic...folks are doing it to themselves. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Restored said:

I'm concerned but not overly worried. If he isn't ready to practice the week of the Chargers game, then I'll start hitting the panic button.

 

That’s just a little more than 2 weeks away, & while I expect him to practice & play, it’s hard to imagine how this’ll be 100% healed by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not saying the Colts know, or don't know... And I'm not saying we're entitled to information....

 

What I am saying, is that if you're a publicly traded company, and you hide stuff that might impact your stock price, you're breaking the law.

 

The NFL, and team owners aren't publicly traded, but IF they hide stuff due to ticket sells, well that's just simply dishonest and a very bad look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Four2itus said:

You are a good poster, and pretty knowledgeable about the game. But the above comment is way off base, IMO. 

 

Saying that they don't know when Luck will be able to play again when they are pretty certain he will be able to play game one....could be described as instilling panic. The panic that is prevalent at this time is the result of guessing, finger pointing, accusing, and gossiping. The team is not instilling panic...folks are doing it to themselves. 

I agree 100%. It's funny because I have been a Colts fan since 1984 and I am not panicked or worried at all. Some fans are doing it to themselves. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stitches said:

they are instilling panic in the media and thus in the fanbase

 

I disagree. The media and especially the fans (especially on this site) are being sensational. 

 

Quote

Let the medical staff talk about it

 

It seems like the Chiefs do that, situationally. It's certainly not conventional. I have no issue with a team choosing to handle injury news this way, but it's unreasonable to expect it from an NFL team. It's not required, and NFL teams are paranoid, secretive and conservative, to a fault. All they need to do is hit their disclosure marks, according to the rules.

 

Also, if Luck doesn't give consent, I think the medical staff could be sued for talking about his injury, period. 

 

Quote

misleading and incomplete information

 

I again disagree. It's possible that the team has been intentionally withholding. 

 

But if Luck is dealing with MO, this is evidently a condition that takes time to materialize and be confirmed. And there's an incomplete nature to any injury situation. They expected him to be ready for the start of camp. A few days in, his injury flared up. Were they supposed to know this was going to happen?

 

I'm tired of people accusing others of lying when information changes or situations evolve. 

 

Quote

already botched the communication about a previous injury of the same franchise QB

 

And I'll never agree on this. They thought Luck would be ready for the start of the 2017 season. He had a setback and couldn't play. It wasn't the team's fault, they didn't lie about it, it was out of their control. 

 

I understand the fans being shell shocked by these QB injuries. In 2011, Manning's neck was dramatic. In 2015, Luck's rib and kidney. In 2017, Luck's shoulder. It's why I haven't had a lot to say about it, because I'm not getting worked up over a developing injury situation. 

 

But at a certain point, it goes beyond being worried about the player, and moves into conspiracy theories and finger pointing, which is baseless nonsense, IMO. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So let me sum this thread up so far from many posters. Irsay runs his mouth too much, Luck is a liar, Luck probably won't start in week 1, we are doomed, and fans are owed to know who is injured and what exactly it is. 

 

Did I just sum up everything?

 

Week 1 can't get here fast enough. This thread is making me crazy GIF

 

Don’t forget Ballard is supposedly a liar and evil too, EVIL I SAY!!!! 

 

7qxErz.gif

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

I just don't care how it comes across. None of this matters, as it doesn't help Luck get ready to play. 

This would be all good if the Colts were a some amateur JV league team whose games were only watched by friends and family. But it's not. This is a multibillion franchise with millions of fans who give 100s of millions of dollars to that team and drama hungry media waiting to blow things out of proportions. This is why they have PR department and media outreach, etc. They just need to do it better and it's shocking they still haven't learned their lesson from previous injuries. Having non-professionals talk about injuries of your players is a recipe for disaster. This is how you get 4 different versions of the injury circulating in the media throughout the off-season and this is how you lose trust from your fanbase. 

 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

You are a good poster, and pretty knowledgeable about the game. But the above comment is way off base, IMO. 

 

Saying that they don't know when Luck will be able to play again when they are pretty certain he will be able to play game one....could be described as instilling panic. The panic that is prevalent at this time is the result of guessing, finger pointing, accusing, and gossiping. The team is not instilling panic...folks are doing it to themselves. 

No the reason for the panic is because you have an injury that was supposed to be a minor calf strain, then Reich said they were worried for it to not become a Kevin Durant situation(Achilles), then Luck apparently told Pelissero he had pain in the ankle... and now we have the owner say there is 'little bone thing' with Luck's injury. No coordination, no consistent message, no clarity and seemingly new symptoms and problems every week and they all come from different levels of the team and none of them are medical staff. THIS is the reason for the distrust and panic. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I'm not saying the Colts know, or don't know... And I'm not saying we're entitled to information....

 

What I am saying, is that if you're a publicly traded company, and you hide stuff that might impact your stock price, you're breaking the law.

 

The NFL, and team owners aren't publicly traded, but IF they hide stuff due to ticket sells, well that's just simply dishonest and a very bad look.

 

The season ticket sales period came & went months ago, so the team has already made that money, so I don’t know how that could be the motivation for their lack of transparency re: Luck’s calf.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I'm not saying the Colts know, or don't know... And I'm not saying we're entitled to information....

 

What I am saying, is that if you're a publicly traded company, and you hide stuff that might impact your stock price, you're breaking the law.

 

The NFL, and team owners aren't publicly traded, but IF they hide stuff due to ticket sells, well that's just simply dishonest and a very bad look.

 

That's the reason for injury disclosing. People gamble on NFL games and outcomes, so there are rules for reporting injuries. The Colts are compliant with the rules.

 

There's no evidence they are hiding or have hidden anything regarding injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I'm not saying the Colts know, or don't know... And I'm not saying we're entitled to information....

 

What I am saying, is that if you're a publicly traded company, and you hide stuff that might impact your stock price, you're breaking the law.

 

The NFL, and team owners aren't publicly traded, but IF they hide stuff due to ticket sells, well that's just simply dishonest and a very bad look.

Ticket sales have nothing to do with this...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

 

 

Holder's "not talking about it on Twitter"? 

 

Smug *...it's literally his entire timeline today. Holder is easily my least favorite Colts journalist.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is why they have PR department and media outreach, etc. They just need to do it better and it's shocking they still haven't learned their lesson from previous injuries. Having non-professionals talk about injuries of your players is a recipe for disaster

 

It's not why they have PR. There's a protocol for injury reporting, and it's traditionally handled by the head coach, not PR, and it's not media outreach. 

 

And traditionally, answering questions about a player's injury isn't treated like a congressional investigation, and doesn't lead to disaster. 

 

Also, this is not a disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shastamasta said:

 

Holder's "not talking about it on Twitter"? 

 

Smug *...it's literally his entire timeline today. Holder is easily my least favorite Colts journalist.

I know right?!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I understand the fans being shell shocked by these QB injuries. In 2011, Manning's neck was dramatic. In 2015, Luck's rib and kidney. In 2017, Luck's shoulder. It's why I haven't had a lot to say about it, because I'm not getting worked up over a developing injury situation. 

 

 

So how many of those do they need to botch(i.e. misslead the public about) for it to become unprofessional at the very least? 

 

Quote

But at a certain point, it goes beyond being worried about the player, and moves into conspiracy theories and finger pointing, which is baseless nonsense, IMO. 

I'm very far from being conspiratorial here. All I'm saying is that their process is obviously flawed. You have a player, a coach, a GM and the owner all giving seemingly conflicting information about Luck's injury. I'm very far from thinking they go out with the purpose of misleading the public. No, they don't... they just don't know enough to be able to relay a consistent and coherent message without contradicting... or at the very least sounding like they are contradicting each other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, stitches said:

This would be all good if the Colts were a some amateur JV league team whose games were only watched by friends and family. But it's not. This is a multibillion franchise with millions of fans who give 100s of millions of dollars to that team and drama hungry media waiting to blow things out of proportions. This is why they have PR department and media outreach, etc. They just need to do it better and it's shocking they still haven't learned their lesson from previous injuries. Having non-professionals talk about injuries of your players is a recipe for disaster. This is how you get 4 different versions of the injury circulating in the media throughout the off-season and this is how you lose trust from your fanbase. 

 

No the reason for the panic is because you have an injury that was supposed to be a minor calf strain, then Reich said they were worried for it to not become a Kevin Durant situation(Achilles), then Luck apparently told Pelissero he had pain in the ankle... and now we have the owner say there is 'little bone thing' with Luck's injury. No coordination, no consistent message, no clarity and seemingly new symptoms and problems every week and they all come from different levels of the team and none of them are medical staff. THIS is the reason for the distrust and panic. 

And through it all, you'd think an MRI would show the entire injury, and the professionals could anticipate where the problems would be as it healed. 

 

If what is going on now is that Luck aggravated the injury at its most tender spot (where it attaches to the bone), then that is an easy explanation. 

 

The Colts have had Ballard, Reich, Luck, and Irsay all chime in...but not the doctors who are the ones who should be able to interpret the MRI correctly with anticipated risks going forward.

 

Edit: I'm not saying the Colts are lying or misleading, I'm just saying that the way they are choosing to talk about this seems scatterbrained.  If they want to talk about the injury to the public, why do it in this manner?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

That’s just a little more than 2 weeks away, & while I expect him to practice & play, it’s hard to imagine how this’ll be 100% healed by then.

 

I’m not expecting 100% healed either but he he definitely should be able to play. Hopefully it’s something that can improve over the season or atleast not get worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chad hugo said:

Irsay has to sell the season tickets somehow...

Every time a poster mentions this... it shows a lack of knowledge.  Season ticket sales ended and had to be paid for PRIOR to OTAs this spring, March 8th to be exact for renewals and June 1 for new season tickets.  as of March 8th, 87 percent of the 50,000 season tickets were renewed... league average sits about 80%

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Superman said:

And traditionally, answering questions about a player's injury isn't treated like a congressional investigation, and doesn't lead to disaster

 

Also, this is not a disaster.

 

True... unless you consistently mislead your fanbase about the injuries of your most important player and continue to tell them he will be ready for game 1(just like your did the previous time... ) and don't deliver on those promises. 

 

This is not a disaster indeed. At least not, yet. 

 

I get it that you are not phased by those injuries and how information about them is relayed, but the media and most fans are... just watch the %storm if Luck doesn't start game 1.  This has the potential to be a complete PR disaster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

Holder's "not talking about it on Twitter"? 

 

Smug *...it's literally his entire timeline today. Holder is easily my least favorite Colts journalist.

 

Yes - it's pretty funny when you report out that you have nothing to report.  We probably could have figured that out from silence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

The season ticket sales period came & went months ago, so the team has already made that money, so I don’t know how that could be the motivation for their lack of transparency re: Luck’s calf.

There's still plenty of tickets available, especially in the 400 level.

 

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

That's the reason for injury disclosing. People gamble on NFL games and outcomes, so there are rules for reporting injuries. The Colts are compliant with the rules.

 

There's no evidence they are hiding or have hidden anything regarding injuries.

 

Well, saying it was a "muscular" earlier, and now flipping to "bone", really doesn't inspire thoughts of transparency. IIRC, they also said surgery wasn't in the cards. If it's a bone issue that people are speculating about, surgeries are common once the bone growth completes.

 

We don't know what it is right now, but while there might not be evidence that they are hiding anything, it's pretty clear reality has "changed" a bit.

 

Also, I'll point out that being compliant with rules, doesn't necessarily equate to being honest with the fan base.

 

Could be nothing, could be something. And folks will continue to speculate when it's obvious the FO knows more than they are sharing. That's human nature, and the organization should expect nothing less.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • To me JB starts the Saints game and maybe we get a win.  If we do he keeps starting until we are eliminated.  If we lose I would still start JB the next game but everyone will know in advance we are going to play Kelly during the last two games.  I don't think the team would have a problem with that including JB.  He is on the active roster and this is an opportunity to see a teammate in action. 
    • There is no guarantee next year would have the same outcome as this year. There was a lot of things that went wrong in this season and Jacoby isn’t the only reason. Chances are even if we draft the future Jacoby will be the starter next year. A lot of strange things have happened this year that has  lead up to our record. Just look at the turning point. We were 5-2 going into the Steelers game. What happened Jacoby got injured and our WR stated dropping like flies. You can’t underestimate the importance of Ty. Pascal has done great but he isn’t what you would call a playmaker. The things TY can do to fake out defenders ect makes him a great player.  We are missing actual playmakers in the 4th quarter of games. No matter what they do at QB I am excited if Jacoby starts next season and to see what he can do with heathy and upgraded weapons. Plus not having all the drama with Luck two weeks before the season.  Yes he has had some issues but to me I give him a incomplete with everything that has happened.
    • TY is a Colt. Love it. Same mold as Reggie and Marvin. 
    • Drew Brees is fixing to take this record right in front of us Colts fans
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...