Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay’s comments on Luck

On 8/13/2019 at 2:31 PM, stitches said:

Because they are instilling panic in the media and thus in the fanbase. 

Who cares?  They don't owe you or any other fan anything.  You chose to be a fan...you can choose not to.  That's up to you.  What they do with the injury information of players is not up to you.  As long as they follow the league rules about injuries then I don't care what we as fans know.  They have to do what they think is best for the Team/Organization and as much as some fans want to believe that they are, fans are NOT a part of the team or organization.  

Bottom line...no matter how much you or anyone else thinks that you are, you are NOT entitled to any more information than the front office is willing to give.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Really good explanation of the difference between a high ankle sprain and a low ankle sprain, and the difficulty in diagnosing a partial tear of the syndesmosis between the tibia and fibula. Ballard called it "high ankle-ish," whatever that means. 

They also said that it would make sense that Luck had two different injuries, one to the calf, and one to the high ankle area, and the high ankle was overlooked because the imaging showed a calf strain. My conjecture is that it's possible, given the weight-bearing nature of some of the calf exercises he might have been doing for rehab, it might have exacerbated the high ankle issue.

By the sound of it, and maybe I'm interpreting this wrong idk, it looks like he's either gonna be good to go here soon, or he's gonna have to have surgery to repair the damaged/stretched syndesmosis. With the surgery he would be out 4-6 weeks. If that's even an option, why not do it now, and have him back Week 3 or 4 at the latest and completely healthy?

33 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

By the sound of it, and maybe I'm interpreting this wrong idk, it looks like he's either gonna be good to go here soon, or he's gonna have to have surgery to repair the damaged/stretched syndesmosis. With the surgery he would be out 4-6 weeks. If that's even an option, why not do it now, and have him back Week 3 or 4 at the latest and completely healthy?

The doctors in the article had a different read on it. They suggested surgery wouldn't really be on the table at this point.

2 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

That was very informative. If they did just diagnose this as a ankle sprain he is going to miss a few games otherwise he is going to be playing on a bad ankle all season.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That was very informative. If they did just diagnose this as a ankle sprain he is going to miss a few games otherwise he is going to be playing on a bad ankle all season.

The only problem I’ve been seeing though is that they kept calling it a high ankle sprain in that article and I don’t believe Ballard confirmed that to be exactly what it was.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Restored said:

The only problem I’ve been seeing though is that they kept calling it a high ankle sprain in that article and I don’t believe Ballard confirmed that to be exactly what it was.

No he didn’t confirm it. The way he talked though and now the taped ankle it makes sense that is what it is.

5 hours ago, GusFring said:

So this scan that he just got, is it the first time he got the scan? Why did Ballard seem to suggest its a new area in the ankle that they're focusing on now? 

Indy docs seem to really be practicing on the 100mil QB. Bring Painter back and use him for practice. 

They don’t know what’s going on. Luck has a mysterious ailment that moves from his calf to his ankle all while being filmed on an MRI. 

47 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

They don’t know what’s going on. Luck has a mysterious ailment that moves from his calf to his ankle all while being filmed on an MRI. 

You really have to wonder if at this point Luck has the mentality and pain threshold to play professional football.

I see him walk.  He looks fine. He doesn't limp.  It is a matter of playing through the pain or not.  It isn't going to magically get better in 2 weeks. 

You get paid $25 M a year to play 16 games.  Get some pain killer shots, go out there, and man the F up. 

Tired of this crap from him.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, threeflight said:

You really have to wonder if at this point Luck has the mentality and pain threshold to play professional football.

I see him walk.  He looks fine. He doesn't limp.  It is a matter of playing through the pain or not.  It isn't going to magically get better in 2 weeks. 

You get paid $25 M a year to play 16 games.  Get some pain killer shots, go out there, and man the F up. 

200.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

How many times are you going to post this same sorry take?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

Good lord,   you're nonsense is tired.   What a person gets paid has nothing to do with injuries.  Get a grip

• Like 2

5 hours ago, J@son said:

Who cares?  They don't owe you or any other fan anything.  You chose to be a fan...you can choose not to.  That's up to you.  What they do with the injury information of players is not up to you.  As long as they follow the league rules about injuries then I don't care what we as fans know.  They have to do what they think is best for the Team/Organization and as much as some fans want to believe that they are, fans are NOT a part of the team or organization.  

Bottom line...no matter how much you or anyone else thinks that you are, you are NOT entitled to any more information than the front office is willing to give.  

This is just not said enough on here.. I shake my head, and laugh, when people have "they owe us", or some variation of entitlement, in any part of their sentence.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Good lord,   you're nonsense is tired.   What a person gets paid has nothing to do with injuries.  Get a grip

Once the season starts and the Colts are running off wins, he'll be gone. 

• Like 4

FWIW.  I think we the fans should have seen this coming.  I really like Andrew, but football isn't the most important thing in his life.  Mr. Irsay pretty much said the same thing when he mentioned what was going in in Andrews head during the shoulder issue.

Hell he's got a wife now and a child on the way,  he wants to spend his time with them,  he has all the money he will ever need,  I get it.  Not sure why it is so hard for people to understand that.  Football is just a game, live life on your terms Andrew.

39 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

FWIW.  I think we the fans should have seen this coming.  I really like Andrew, but football isn't the most important thing in his life.  Mr. Irsay pretty much said the same thing when he mentioned what was going in in Andrews head during the shoulder issue.

Hell he's got a wife now and a child on the way,  he wants to spend his time with them,  he has all the money he will ever need,  I get it.  Not sure why it is so hard for people to understand that.  Football is just a game, live life on your terms Andrew.

Seen what coming? Glad you can read Andrew's mind. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

How many times are you going to post this same sorry take?

I don't know.

How many times are you going to go out of your way to defend him?

Have you ever played pro sports? College sports?  HS sports?

I have.  I know what it is like to perform at a high level with pain in sports.

You seem very opinionated.  I see this consistently from you....Mr.  Superman.

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

$25 M a year.

Think of that.

A YEAR.  That is more than you will make in a lifetime.

Do you understand how much money that is?

What that compares to the average person working 50 hours a week through sickness and broken bones and everything else?

And he can't play 16 games  because of an 'ankle'?

Ok then.

57 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

Exactly.  I am not sure how most of these people don't get this.

It is PAINFULLY obvious.

4 years ago he played with a lacerated kidney.

Then 2 years ago he hurt his shoulder and all of a sudden it's a 'process'.  No more just going out and playing.  Nope.  That he got hurt snowboarding mind you.  Not football.  SNOWBOARDING.

Now its a freaking ankle.  Who knows how that happened.

It is so clear that his heart is not into football anymore.  He is married. A kid coming.  All the money he could want.  IF you think he has his heart and soul into this anymore than you are seeing things through blue colored glasses. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will say this if a team is paying me 25 mill a year I would not miss a regular season game with a minor calf injury or sore ankle. I know where you are coming from with that. He hasn't missed a regular season game yet, if he does feel free to criticize. Who cares about pre-season IMO.

Thanks for trying to understand my point.

Sensible.  Appreciate it.

He isn't walking around with a limp.  He doesn't have a broken bone.  He hasn't torn anything.  He looks fine.  We already saw the ordeal he went through with the shoulder.  He is a broken man (imo) when it comes to his body.  Way over paranoid and IMO he has checked out.  He has his money.  His body is beat up.

He is giving up.  Again...IMO.

And all I am saying is for $25 M a year?  And because of my teammates?  And honor?  If I could walk as well as he has, I would say F it and just play.

20 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Yup.  And he has missed how many games the past 3 years, and is on track to miss a lot more this year.  So he is being paid to sit because he can't take the pain. 

Period.

You can't hold that against him because most of that was because of his shoulder. That was a career ending injury if not treated right. A lacerated kidney is no joke either. That isn't being injury prone, he just got drilled in the wrong area.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think he seriously thinks he can play in the NFL, he was just making a joke.  

Probably not, but I am really disappointed in our fanbase and the things they are saying about Andrew. 

Most players in the league will list him as one of the toughest QBs in the league. His toughness is not even questionable, IMO. Maybe hes being extra cautious......maybe hes had a freak thing happen like a bone spur of some sort.....but not tough enough? Not a chance.

• Like 2

Just now, GoatBeard said:

Probably not, but I am really disappointed in our fanbase and the things they are saying about Andrew. 

Most players in the league will list him as one of the toughest QBs in the league. His toughness is not even questionable, IMO. Maybe hes being extra cautious......maybe hes had a freak thing happen like a bone spur of some sort.....but not tough enough? Not a chance.

I have repeatedly said I am disappointed on how some of our fanbase talk about our team and Andrew. Last year was so much fun. Our past history speaks for itself too. We have had a great franchise here in Indianapolis. 

• Like 1

Just now, GoatBeard said:

Yeah if I could run one play and I had big q in front of me, I might run into his back and fall down...but that's all I got.

I would just go for it. I'd run behind Nelson until he knocked the defender down, and run for as much open space as possible until I got tackled and hold on to the ball for dear life. LOL!

I'm somewhat desensitized to Luck at this point. With what happened in the Grigson years, 2017, 2019 now, and the fact we can't beat the Pats and now have Mahomes to deal with, it has taken a lot out of me, and my trust in Luck is very low at this point. I do question now how long he'll keep playing at this point. Just my defenses for occasionally bashing Luck.

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You can't hold that against him because most of that was because of his shoulder. That was a career ending injury if not treated right. A lacerated kidney is no joke either. That isn't being injury prone, he just got drilled in the wrong area.

Bro I know.  I love Andrew Luck.  He is probably my favorite NFL player.

Just imo?  He is done as a full time NFL qb.  I think he wants out, and out asap.

Hope I am wrong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Bro I know.  I love Andrew Luck.  He is probably my favorite NFL players.

Just imo?  He is done as a full time NFL qb.  I think he wants out, and out asap.

Hope I am wrong.

We will see. I think he will be fine but I could be wrong. He will probably never be Peyton Manning but he can still win a SB because we have a GM now that can build a team. I like Reich as well. In reality other than Tom Brady, Joe Montana, and Unitas nobody is Peyton Manning. That is my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm somewhat desensitized to Luck at this point. With what happened in the Grigson years, 2017, 2019 now, and the fact we can't beat the Pats and now have Mahomes to deal with, it has taken a lot out of me, and my trust in Luck is very low at this point. I do question now how long he'll keep playing at this point. Just my defenses for occasionally bashing Luck.

I still think he will play on opening day. If not than I will have to say I was wrong ray liotta laughing GIF

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We will see. I think he will be fine but I could be wrong. He will probably never be Peyton Manning but he can still win a SB because we have a GM now that can build a team. I like Reich as well. In reality other than Tom Brady, Joe Montana, and Unitas nobody is Peyton Manning. That is my opinion.

Yeah I’ve never expected Luck to be Peyton.  Peyton is one of the top five to ever play the game at his position.  Honestly the Colts have already gotten lucky in that department twice with Johnny U as well.  The odds of it happening three times to one team and back to back are near impossible.  

I think Andrew Luck is closer to Bob Griese while Peyton Manning was closer to Dan Marino for the Dolphins for a comparison.  I want to be clear in that I think Luck is probably going to have a better career than Griese but what I mean is that Griese was one of the better QBs of his era while Marino was one of the greatest of all time.  While Griese was no Marino most NFL teams would have been thrilled to have him as their QB when he played.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I’ve never expected Luck to be Peyton.  Peyton is one of the top five to ever play the game at his position.  Honestly the Colts have already gotten lucky in that department twice with Johnny U as well.  The odds of it happening three times to one team and back to back are near impossible.  

I think Andrew Luck is closer to Bob Griese while Peyton Manning was closer to Dan Marino for the Dolphins for a comparison.  I want to be clear in that I think Luck is probably going to have a better career than Griese but what I mean is that Griese was one of the better QBs of his era while Marino was one of the greatest of all time.  While Griese was no Marino most NFL teams would have been thrilled to have him as their QB when he played.  

I am not sure where people rank Big Ben at all-time? But Luck is like Ben in a lot of ways but smarter and quicker IMO, both are big and strong. If Luck wins a SB than that puts him in the top 25 all-time already. Ben is top 25 IMO. 

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think Andrew Luck is closer to Bob Griese while Peyton Manning was closer to Dan Marino for the Dolphins for a comparison. I want to be clear in that I think Luck is probably going to have a better career than Griese but what I mean is that Griese was one of the better QBs of his era while Marino was one of the greatest of all time.  While Griese was no Marino most NFL teams would have been thrilled to have him as their QB when he played.  

I think that is a good comparison.  So far.

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure where people rank Big Ben at all-time? But Luck is like Ben in a lot of ways but smarter and quicker IMO, both are big and strong. If Luck wins a SB than that puts him in the top 25 all-time already. Ben is top 25 IMO. 

Yeah Big Ben is a good modern comparison to Luck in terms of how they play.  Now that I’ve thought about it for a little maybe the best person to compare Luck to in terms where I think his career will rank is Steve Young.

I think when Ben is done he too will be remembered as a great QB in his era but he’s not going to hold up as one of the all time greats.  That’s where Luck is IMO.  He’s going to probably be the third best QB in Colts history (and when you are behind Johnny U and Peyton that’s pretty darn good) and one of the stars of his generation but I don’t think he’s going to be thought of as a top 10 QB to ever play the game.

Just because Luck might not be an all time great doesn’t mean he’s not good enough to win, a lot of QBs who were great in their era lead their teams to Super Bowls.  Luck has the tools to do that.  It’s just a question or does his body hold up and do the Colts get the breaks it takes to win a Super Bowl or two.

I had a baseball coach who had been  a MLB pitching prospect.  One day  In batting practice It got away from him and he hit me with A 90 ish wild pitch. Scary as anything and he felt bad but It is a different world  playing with the big boys.  I had zero time to get out of the way. 

I would never  criticize Andrew.  He is as good of a guy as it gets and we’re lucky to have him.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Larry Horseman said:

I don't remember them being transparent with PM the year he had the knee - he was in much worse shape to start the season than was communicated. Also, don't forget Bob being "week to week" pretty much every year of his career...

I think more often than not there's a big difference in how organizations handle/manage/discuss QB and other star player injuries and injuries for players on the rest of the roster. 

Overall, I agree.  I was thinking of PM and how neither he nor the Colts ever disclosed much about his condition(s).  So the star players do get treated differently.

A couple of mitigants: 

I think with Bob Sanders, he truly was week to week most of the time.  They simply never knew if he could go or not until the last minute, IMO.

Also, the inaccurate communication took part during the season, impacting how other teams might game plan us each week.  With Luck its been mostly offseason stuff.  In the past, the inaccurate communication had to do with messing with the other team.  With Luck, people get the sense the Colts are messing with the fans.  If there has been any gamesmanship about injuries in the past, its understandable it would take place during the season, but during the offseason seems a bit over the top. 

8 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

It's a few people on a message board. The 70,000 at Lucas Oil will display the fan base's opinion of Andrew on Sept 22.

10 hours ago, threeflight said:

I don't know.

How many times are you going to go out of your way to defend him?

Have you ever played pro sports? College sports?  HS sports?

I have.  I know what it is like to perform at a high level with pain in sports.

You seem very opinionated.  I see this consistently from you....Mr.  Superman.

image.png.9b86e40ea0fb3f3328078b070f83ec1f.png

• Haha 1