Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Roster Vision Of Grigson........

Scott Pennock

I think you can start to see the vision of Grigson and Pagano by the free agents they are linked to currently!

We resigned Reggie Wayne - provides leadership, precise routes, great hands and a mentor to the younger Colts........

We are bringing in Cory Redding (Ravens) - provides an experienced 3-4 DE/4-3 DT to help bridge the gap to the younger guys that need to learn the system..........

We are linked to Evan Mathis (Eagles) - is an instant upgrade to the offensive line by fixing TWO spots - allows us to move Reitz to RG with Iljana at RT..........

We are linked to John Carlson ( Seahawks) - provides a combo TE, one who can catch and run as well as being a decent in line blocker.........

We are linked to Paul Soliai (Dolphins) - is the "true" NT that is needed to plug the middle in either a 3-4 or 4-3 front...........

We have yet to be linked to any DB's, LB's or WR's in free agency (other than resigning our own), so my hunch would be that IF we pulled off these moves that would indicate where we are going in the draft. All of the above mentioned players are plug and play (meaning instant starters) and thus the front office would hope to plug draft picks into the other starting positions that need filled (Corner and Strong Safety).

Though I do beleive that Tom Zbikowski is probably on their radar because of his mutual familiarity with Pagano AND he plays strong safety AND he learned behind Ed Reed (one of the best of all time)! If signed, he is an instant starter as well...........and oh by the way, he actually had a pretty solid career at Notre Dame so just because he played sparingly behind Ed Reed I don't think we should discount his abilities IF signed!

Thoughts?

I would be happy as heck if we could get Paul Soliai. We need a guy like that desperately, but im not sure we could actually afford him. Also I haven't seen any official link saying we're interested in him. Not saying there isn't one, just haven't seen it. If we could get him and one of the Guards I would be happy if it ended there. I know we'll have to sign a bunch of guy's because we're so thin on the roster, but most of them will be a bunch of no namers that will have to try to make a name for theirselves. Build up the lines and the rest will fall into place. This is what Polian should have been doing for yrs. but he chose to ignore the real issues, which is why he is no longer employed by an NFL team.

I think this is a great post. They've prioritized these guys in FA, rather than any huge names. From what I've heard they want to build a BIG team in the trenches that can power you around (think Baltimore really). In the past we were a finesse team. The new brand of football is going to be power. I guess if you want another mold on offense, Stanford.

I think this is a great post. They've prioritized these guys in FA, rather than any huge names. From what I've heard they want to build a BIG team in the trenches that can power you around (think Baltimore really). In the past we were a finesse team. The new brand of football is going to be power. I guess if you want another mold on offense, Stanford.

Exactly. I picture something on the lines of Stanfords offense. Thing is we will have hopefully a great QB to couple with it. The potential is great.

I have been waiting for yrs. for the Colts to lose the "soft" and "finesse" labels they have been given. so glad that era is over with.

I have been waiting for yrs. for the Colts to lose the "soft" and "finesse" labels they have been given. so glad that era is over with.

I second that. I am really looking forward to hearing TV guys say that it will be a tough, physical football game to go against the Colts (as opposed to the Colts are small, undersized fast defense that bends but doesn't break too much - yeah, well we saw how that worked for so many years). Praise Irsay for bringing in Pagano.

They have to fix the secondary in the draft if they don't go get FA's like Zbikowski. I did a mock draft taking Harrison Smith - Notre Dame SS in the second and Jayron Hosley - Virginia Tech CB in the 3rd. With the schedule coming up next season, we'll need to stop the run more than the pass most likely...but the secondary still needs to be addressed.

They have to fix the secondary in the draft if they don't go get FA's like Zbikowski. I did a mock draft taking Harrison Smith - Notre Dame SS in the second and Jayron Hosley - Virginia Tech CB in the 3rd. With the schedule coming up next season, we'll need to stop the run more than the pass most likely...but the secondary still needs to be addressed.

Love the idea of taking Harrison Smith. But regret that his combine performance moved him up to at least high second round. Was thinking we could get Smith with our early-4th round pick. No way now. He has the unique ability needed in today's TE-heavy NFL to cover a big, fast tight end. He's almost a SS/OLB hybrid. Probably going to have too many TE (Fleener) or WR (pick 'em) needs to not address this with our 2nd round pick. BUT, if we could package Freeney's 3rd round trade pick to move up in 2nd....

I've been talking about getting Soliai and Redding (or another Raven DL) for a month or two. I think they are huge pickups and very doable. Excellent move keeping Reggie. Another veteran OL, CB & RB would help immensely. I expect us to take best available D, plus pick up another WR and OL in the draft, too. I heard rumors on the NFL network that we were looking at TE J. Carlson from SEA. That would be a VERY nice, very similar, yet better run blocking replacement for Clark.

BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

*Got Caught Cheating

I know your sentiments, but if there is an offense that can switch to doing either based on what the D dictates, it is the Patriots' O-line. That is the kind I want Grigson to build, not just a run blocking O-line or just a pass blocking O-line.

I don't know if we can sign ALL these guys I think some of it is covering themselves should One or two pick to sign else were.

He seems to be going after D-line guys first which is where we will need the most help right away. On offense we need a vet leader for the line and a guard or center so I think these have been smart players to see which of the group we can land.

We have time to explore the second level of free agency too plus the draft. It's so nice to be talking about adding players rather than losing them.

YEAH! I love how we are moving into to the future. Like I said before and I will say it again I am excited about the Colts future. It might take awhile but it will be the best for the long run. Sometimes in life, there is always major changes. But it will always panned out in the long run. I am excited.

I've been talking about getting Soliai and Redding (or another Raven DL) for a month or two. I think they are huge pickups and very doable. Excellent move keeping Reggie. Another veteran OL, CB & RB would help immensely. I expect us to take best available D, plus pick up another WR and OL in the draft, too. I heard rumors on the NFL network that we were looking at TE J. Carlson from SEA. That would be a VERY nice, very similar, yet better run blocking replacement for Clark.

i think lagarett blount would be a nice RB to pick up.

The power I am looking for is not the Baltimore kind but the Patriots kind. Still passing oriented but if you have to run it, you STILL CAN.

I much prefer the power offense installed by Harbaugh at Stanford and at San Francisco.

They run power successfully until the defense commits more to the box to stop it, which then opens up the passing game, especially through play-action.

I forgot about him. He'd be an elluva pickup. He'd fit the bruiser profile, but I don't know what kind of $ he's going to command in FA. Probably more than we're ready to spend this yr. NEXT YEAR we'll have another ~$25M to play with.

would be nice if the colts could get in on Tracy Porter or Carr. or maybe try to trade for assante samuel. although a trade would not happen, but signing porter or carr could be nice. porter use to play his college ball at IU..

I refer to him as "He who shall not be named" and he is dead to me for being 1. a Hoosier and 2. ripping my heart out with that pick 6 in the SuperBowl.

We have bigger needs to address than running back with our limited cap space. I don't think they will go after Blount. If we got him though I think he would be a very good pick up I just don't see it happening.

We have bigger needs to address than running back with our limited cap space. I don't think they will go after Blount. If we got him though I think he would be a very good pick up I just don't see it happening.

I agree but I do not feel comfortable with Donald Brown as my No. 1 RB. I was telling my buddy the other day that it wouldn't completely shock me if we took David Wilson the Virginia Tech RB with our second rounder.

I agree but I do not feel comfortable with Donald Brown as my No. 1 RB. I was telling my buddy the other day that it wouldn't completely shock me if we took David Wilson the Virginia Tech RB with our second rounder.

It would for me. My guess is that will be an olineman dt secondary player te or deep threat wr. Those are the areas of need we can't field a team without getting help there. Brown will probably get this year to prove if he can be a starter or not. If not we get a new rb next year.

We already have a VT RB on future/reserve contract in Darren Evans.

I would imagine that the deal Carl Nicks just signed will set a benchmark for Evan Mathis........that the Colts will not reach (5 yrs 47mil, 31 guaranteed)

Probably, but I think Nicks is an A+ prospect, and Mathis is more of a B+ prospect. Still probably going to get a deal in the $25+ million range.

I refer to him as "He who shall not be named" and he is dead to me for being 1. a Hoosier and 2. ripping my heart out with that pick 6 in the SuperBowl.

lol im guessing your a purdue fan with the name boiler which would be understandable that you dont like him because he is a hoosier lol...but ithink he ripped everyones heart out with that pick 6, which is why i think would be nice to have him on the team. he has the speed and the ability to play CB. and if manning may end up in tennessee, porter could give manning some nightmares lol

I forgot about him. He'd be an elluva pickup. He'd fit the bruiser profile, but I don't know what kind of $ he's going to command in FA. Probably more than we're ready to spend this yr. NEXT YEAR we'll have another ~$25M to play with.

yeah i dont think blount will be a colt, he is going to want to much money. him and tracy porter were my big wish list names lol.

If you want to know what the 'new' Colts are going to look like, look no further than what Harbaugh has done in SF on both sides of the ball. Luck won't be asked to do too much, and teams won't run against them. Even though the Colts need some big help in the secondary, I don't think much of that gets addressed until next year. I believe they'll build the front seven first, then go after some tools in the secondary.

I am just hoping this team still has a good offense. I am all for improving the defense but I would rather watch a high powered offense. I do not want this team to turn into the Ravens where we rely on defense and our offense does nothing.

We have played the other side of that coin for far too long. Hopfuly Irsay has learned a valuable lesson, and also that our current GM and coaching staff will not repeat history.

new era of college of coaches and gms and rumors of moving to Los Angeles every year is the new face of indy. Sorry mate, we aint buffalo, this city wont support a loser for long, not after the last ten sseasons.

We have played the other side of that coin for far too long. Hopfuly Irsay has learned a valuable lesson, and also that our current GM and coaching staff will not repeat history.

I kinda liked being on that side I know we didnt win enough championships but every Sunday I was excited to watch the colts game where I feel if they turn into a super defensive team like the ravens I may not be a excited to watch them.

Yes, being physical and smash mouth and an in-your-face defense is all good but all those things were desired to put us over the top when we had the stability of an offense firing on all cylinders. For all the intimidation the Ravens brought the last decade, they have no SB appearances to show for it. The Steelers, when they finally were able to pass the ball with a mobile QB, that is when they were able to win consistently again at the top level because their D's abilities were typically consistent like the Ravens.

I look to 3 things with the new regime - can we pass the ball on O, can we stop the pass on 3rd downs on D, can we win on early run downs on run D?

If we do all 3 well, we will win a lot of games. Recently, most of the top of the league running teams have not been the better winning teams, so we can run while we are winning, to preserve a lead or control tempo but to get to that winning stage, we still need to pass the ball very well.