Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Day 14

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

I hate doing this but the Colts need to take a serious look into those soft tissue injuries and the recovery from them. Luck, Campbell, AC last year(I would bet there are a lot more that I just cannot remember right now). This continues happening. Players try to return after injury only to suffer setbacks and make things worse.

I heard some injury expert say we are bottom third in the league in injuries 10 years running. Every single year! This is coming to the point where it cannot be just dumb luck. Is it trainers/medical staff... is it the artificial turf at Lucas Oil Stadium? Is it the coaching? Is is the nutrition/food? Whatever it is, they need to figure it out. This can't keep happening again and again and again and again... I realize that this is contact sport and physical sport and some injuries are expected but the level and consistency of it happening to Colts players is very much out of the ordinary. 

Rusty Jones is good, but unfortunately soft tissue injuries are common. He's not out to prevent them. In some cases, it makes sense. Campbell has been practicing without rest for a while.

38 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Luck practiced all TC. Luck hasn’t done anything team wise since the KC game.

Sure, but a QB as good as Luck should have no issues coming back to this offense. It's not like Reich changed schemes or something.

2 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Rusty Jones is good, but unfortunately soft tissue injuries are common. He's not out to prevent them. In some cases, it makes sense. Campbell has been practicing without rest for a while.

Sure, but a QB as good as Luck should have no issues coming back to this offense. It's not like Reich changed schemes or something.

Go back and watch Peyton when he missed all of the pre-season in 2008.  It took him close to half a season to be right.  

Its the timing that only comes from practice that isn’t there.  That’s the problem with him or anyone missing so much time.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Go back and watch Peyton when he missed all of the pre-season in 2008.  It took him close to half a season to be right.  

Its the timing that only comes from practice that isn’t there.  That’s the problem with him or anyone missing so much time.

I agree 100%.  My guess is this: we will have a slow start on OFFENSE...again, but our DEFENSE will shine early in the year.

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Luck had a pretty good connection with Ebron even though he hadn't thrown a pass to him last year. Most of the offense is still there. I think Luck will fit in fine. If he takes a few games to get going, that's fine as well. It's not like he isn't throwing at all.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I have just come to the conclusion this won’t be the year we thought. If it is I will be shocked.

• Like 2

Just now, compuls1v3 said:

I agree 100%.  My guess is this: we will have a slow start on OFFENSE...again, but our DEFENSE will shine early in the year.

Hard to say. The QBs we face this are good, unlike last year. I wouldn't be surprised if the defense isn't as good this year.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I have just come to the conclusion this won’t be the year we thought. If it is I will be shocked.

What year were we expecting? It's not like Luck is dead. I think it'll be a good year, SB or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IndyScribe said:

Luck had a pretty good connection with Ebron even though he hadn't thrown a pass to him. Most of the offense is still there. I think Luck will fit in fine. If he takes a few games to get going, that's fine as well. It's not like he isn't throwing at all.

Luck Practiced all TC with Ebron. We can’t afford a few games with this schedule.

1 minute ago, IndyScribe said:

Hard to say. The QBs we face this are good, unlike last year. I wouldn't be surprised if the defense isn't as good this year.

What year were we expecting? It's not like Luck is dead. I think it'll be a good year, SB or not.

We have high expectations. If we don’t get at least a 1 or 2 seed we will not have met those expectations. No home field for at least a game we won’t go any farther. We can’t start like last year and expect to even make the playoffs.

p

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think this is only the case for anybody that had too high of expectations from the get go. I mean, we had people saying our floor was 12-4 and an AFC championship. Which, those are just insanely high expectations.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Luck Practiced all TC with Ebron. We can’t afford a few games with this schedule.

Ebron is still here. There's always Hilton. Rogers will presumably be on the roster. Even if Luck doesn't connect with Funchess right away, it's not that big of a deal. Luck can always throw to Funchess outside of practicing as well. Luck has been pretty good with establishing chemistry with receivers. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 1

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

I think this only the case for anybody that had too high of expectations from the get go. I mean, we had people saying our floor was 12-4 and an AFC Championship appearance. Which is just insanely high expectations.

I definitely agree. Conspiracy theories aside(Miami SB...), I'd be happy with a successful season and playoffs, even if there's no SB.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

We have high expectations. If we don’t get at least a 1 or 2 seed we will not have met those expectations. No home field for at least a game we won’t go any farther. We can’t start like last year and expect to even make the playoffs.

p

I think 1 or 2 seed is kind of unrealistic for this team. This team is still in the process of rebuilding and it's not like we're the Patriots with a history of success. I think playoffs with a few wins should be the expectations.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IndyScribe said:

I definitely agree. Conspiracy theories aside(Miami SB...), I'd be happy with a successful season and playoffs, even if there's no SB.

I think 1 or 2 seed is kind of unrealistic for this team. This team is still in the process of rebuilding and it's not like we're the Patriots with a history of success. I think playoffs with a few wins should be the expectations.

If we don’t make it to a AFCCG it will be a failure. And if we do start slow that means most likely going to KC or NE in Jan. Heck we play the jags the last game and no way would I want that game to come down to a playoff spot.

33 minutes ago, csmopar said:

welcome... we're cool with Browns fans, its the patriot ones we hate hahaha

I'm not worried about it one bit.

cool some forums can be nasty.  you wont have to worry about them for much longer. i am in the belief this is Brady's last season. he is selling his house and as much as they are trying to spin it i think this is his last year.

and when brady goes i bet Bill goes out with him as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

p

These declarative statements in August are silly.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You seriously need to get over the dang schedule thing.  Every game in the NFL is a hard game. Period, point blank.  Stop worrying about our opponents and whether or not we'll be affected.

Hell, last year at this point in time, a LOT of experts had the Jags as the superbowl favorites and they collapsed. 

Those little numbers they put to show strength of schedule mean about as much as an ice cube to an eskimo on a cold day in the Artic.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Luck had a pretty good connection with Ebron even though he hadn't thrown a pass to him last year. Most of the offense is still there. I think Luck will fit in fine. If he takes a few games to get going, that's fine as well. It's not like he isn't throwing at all.

That’s because they had training camp even with Luck’s built in rest days and throwing the ball and walk throughs aren’t at game speed which is how you get that timing.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You seriously need to get over the dang schedule thing.  Every game in the NFL is a hard game. Period, point blank.  Stop worrying about our opponents and whether or not we'll be affected.

Hell, last year at this point in time, a LOT of experts had the Jags as the superbowl favorites and they collapsed. 

Those little numbers they put to show strength of schedule mean about as much as an ice cube to an eskimo on a cold day in the Artic.

I am not worried because I have no expectations anymore. It will be what it is.

• Like 1

Regarding luck he is still throwing the ball behind the scenes. Heck in the first practice he was nearly perfect in his throws. I'm not concerned yet. If hes still not throwing after the browns leave ill start getting skeptical

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

It's why I don't get super hyped up by tweets about INT's until I see a video.

Don't get me wrong, Rock's proven to be a pretty good ball hawk, but after the tweets about this INT/the reactions to it you'd think we drafted the second coming of Deion Sanders.

The more interesting thing in this video was the DBs coach jumping on Ballard on the sidelines at about 0:12... seems like Frank's coaching staff love themselves some Chris Ballard. 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am not worried because I have no expectations anymore. It will be what it is.

dude, youve been worried for 3 weeks, your posts speak for themselves. just roll with it and see what happens when it happens

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If we don’t make it to a AFCCG it will be a failure. And if we do start slow that means most likely going to KC or NE in Jan. Heck we play the jags the last game and no way would I want that game to come down to a playoff spot.

I disagree with that, especially going as far as to say it'd be a failure.

I'd be really happy with a 10 win season and a playoff win, and that's assuming we stay relatively healthy. I mean, even just one injury to a key guy on offense (somebody like Hilton/AC/Nelson, even a guy like Mack) could really hurt our offense. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, brownsfan4life said:

a couple match ups i am excited about in the upcoming practices .

1. browns O line against Indy d line. How has your pass rush been so far in camp?   it has been a struggle so far in camp with the browns D line causing lots of pressure. interested to see if its just the browns D line or if its going to be a cause for concern.

2. Njoku against leonard especially in the redzone. Njoku has been making multiple TD catches per practice. the browns dont have a LB that can matchup with his size and jumping ability. leonard is so long that i think it will be a good battle.

3. both teams WR vs CB battles. both teams have good CB's and WR's it should be fun to see how it goes.

bump ... i would be interested on what colts fans are looking forward to seeing.  its a bummer about luck i wish he was playing to test the browns D

30 minutes ago, brownsfan4life said:

bump ... i would be interested on what colts fans are looking forward to seeing.  its a bummer about luck i wish he was playing to test the browns D

As for #1. Our DL has done pretty well in TC when we have all of our guys in there (Autry and Houston in particular). They didn't do very well in the first PS game, didn't get too much pressure, but neither of those guys were playing, so who knows.

As for #3. This probably isn't a popular opinion among our fanbase, but I think your defense is going to handle our offense in practice. We just aren't the same without Luck. In 7-7/11-11's, your DB's will probably take advantage of some poorly placed passes. And as for our OL...so far in TC our DL has seemingly got the better of them. And I know you guys have a talented DL so I think you'll have the edge there too.

I also think Baker's going to be a real test for our young DB's. They've been good in practice but again, they've mostly been playing against Brissett and other backups.

17 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I disagree with that, especially going as far as to say it'd be a failure.

I'd be really happy with a 10 win season and a playoff win, and that's assuming we stay relatively healthy. I mean, even just one injury to a key guy on offense (somebody like Hilton/AC/Nelson, even a guy like Mack) could really hurt our offense. 

Well that is no different than last year.

10 minutes ago, brownsfan4life said:

hard for me to say as we don't exactly know who we'll have healthy

30 minutes ago, csmopar said:

dude, youve been worried for 3 weeks, your posts speak for themselves. just roll with it and see what happens when it happens

To quote the great Steven Tyler "dude looks like a lady"

As in I believe she is the fairer sex.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Honestly, I'm not too worried about the offense. They were fine last year with Luck not practicing and rusty. I'm more concerned about the defense, especially with all the good QBs they face.

Luck was fine??.... 1- 5 start will kill any chances this year with the teams they face.... More is going on with Luck (again) then they are saying.....  calf strain, since April?

5 hours ago, aaron11 said:

im starting to think Brissett may be the problem with the offense.  he doesnt seem to read the field very well, never has tbh.  he doesnt move that well either 

FINALLY!!! The lights are going on.

Brissett is not very good. He is a game manager period and he cannot adjust to anything in time to do something about it. He is slow physically and mentally. His improvisational skills are zero. He can execute a set play but if the play breaks down he is lost.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am really nervous how bad this offense is going to look the first game. Luck needs to get back to practice soon. Maybe Kelly needs to start Sat.  

Just play Brissett for the 1st Qtr, Kelly for the 2nd and 3rd and Walker for the 4th. It's only preseason.

But it's true that Kelly can make things happen where Brissett can't.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

Luck was fine??.... 1- 5 start will kill any chances this year with the teams they face.... More is going on with Luck (again) then they are saying.....  calf strain, since April?

After reading zak keefers article with a doctor I don’t think there is more. Everything said in that article line up with what Luck is going through and what happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brownsfan4life said:

a couple match ups i am excited about in the upcoming practices .

1. browns O line against Indy d line. How has your pass rush been so far in camp?   it has been a struggle so far in camp with the browns D line causing lots of pressure. interested to see if its just the browns D line or if its going to be a cause for concern.

2. Njoku against leonard especially in the redzone. Njoku has been making multiple TD catches per practice. the browns dont have a LB that can matchup with his size and jumping ability. leonard is so long that i think it will be a good battle.

3. both teams WR vs CB battles. both teams have good CB's and WR's it should be fun to see how it goes.

1.  I think CLE will have the advantage inside unless Autry can continue his current form.  He's been handling Nelson pretty well in camp so far.  The edges should be anyone's guess.  Houston will probably win a few snaps, but outside of him both teams are pretty young.  Turray and Banogu show promise, but they're both still raw.  Extremely raw.   

2.  You'll be disappointed looking for this.  I doubt we'll do much man coverage against Njoku, and it'll probably be Quincy Wilson or a safety covering him if we go man.  Reich keeps it pretty vanilla in preseason.

3.  Once again, I think Reich's vanilla coverage schemes should give CLE (especially Landry) a clear advantage here against the Indy defense.  The CLE corners versus Indy WRs should be a lot of fun to watch, though (even with Campbell out).  I expect Hilton to put on a decent show; and Cain, Johnson, and Fountain should be the names to look out for against the CLE backups.

4 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'm expecting our offense to struggle against the Browns defense in practice, especially the passing game.

The true test will be for our defense, mainly our DB's. Baker's no joke.

I expect the offense to do well in practice versus browns, but disappear in preseason  game versus browns.