Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
ProblChld32

EJ Speed

I took the time out to re-watch the tape from yesterday and listen this kid can flat out FLY. He looks like a Leonard clone and was very impressive his his first live game as a Colt. He made a few bone head moves but that’s to be expected as a rookie. Overall the good outweighed the bad. He showed Amazing lateral movement and agility to get from sideline to sideline. He has track speed and acceleration is off the charts. He was almost always in the mix of the play with a tackle or assist. I was really encouraged and surprised. I think Speed is going to a dawg here in Indy. 

• Like 5

I agree. Two things jump off the charts to me with Speed and Okereke.

Speed has all the tools BUT BUT BUT small school BUT BUT BUT will he understand the nfl game.....

Okereke has all the tools BUT BUT BUT he's too light and can't come downhill and plug the a or b gap....

Both of those narratives were laid to rest in the first half of their first NFL game.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Speed has all the tools BUT BUT BUT small school BUT BUT BUT will he understand the nfl game.....

Okereke has all the tools BUT BUT BUT he's too light and can't come downhill and plug the a or b gap....

Both of those narratives were laid to rest in the first half of their first NFL game.

Both look like the future of this defense along with Leonard.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

See Darious Leonard.....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Both look like the future of this defense along with Leonard.

Leonard, Okereke and Speed have the length, speed, athleticism and seemingly intangibles to form a great trio for years.

Walker, Adams and Franklin provide speed and intangibles for good to great depth!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

See Darious Leonard.....

Agreed. They are all cut from the same cloth which should make for a strong unit moving forward!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dodsworth said:

This kid is going to be fun watching grow as the season progresses.

Yep

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I agree with your posts probably 95% of the time, you also dont seem to get involved in the RIDICULOUS back and forth BICKERING that sometimes happens on the board.....

I am going to give you the moniker......  "Positive Penncock"

Which is ok........but, im not quite there yet on these two guys.... maybe some more games played?

For whatever reason, I sort of cheer more for the small college kid.......

I also wasnt too impressed with the college tape on Okerekee......

Lets hope BOTH of them turn out

If you had Okereke in Speed's body, youd have the perfect LBer

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CR91 said:

If you had Okereke in Speed's body, youd have the perfect LBer

I believe that is called Leonard

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farns01 said:

I believe that is called Leonard

Speed is bigger

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I agree with your posts probably 95% of the time, you also dont seem to get involved in the RIDICULOUS back and forth BICKERING that sometimes happens on the board.....

I am going to give you the moniker......  "Positive Penncock"

Which is ok........but, im not quite there yet on these two guys.... maybe some more games played?

For whatever reason, I sort of cheer more for the small college kid.......

I also wasnt too impressed with the college tape on Okerekee......

Lets hope BOTH of them turn out

I'll welcome the new moniker!

I too tend to root for the underdog (aka Speed) but I am not just basing my excitement on this game.

It's a culmination of what the scouts, Ballard and coaches have been saying about the skills they bring and how, specifically, they 'could' shine in our system - and the reports from camp of getting first team reps (and not looking lost) to what they showed Thursday night.

That's what gets me positive about their "potential"!

As far as bickering - I did start the Vanilla thread where there has been a bit of bickering on my part.....lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I took the time out to re-watch the tape from yesterday and listen this kid can flat out FLY. He looks like a Leonard clone and was very impressive his his first live game as a Colt. He made a few bone head moves but that’s to be expected as a rookie. Overall the good outweighed the bad. He showed Amazing lateral movement and agility to get from sideline to sideline. He has track speed and acceleration is off the charts. He was almost always in the mix of the play with a tackle or assist. I was really encouraged and surprised. I think Speed is going to a dawg here in Indy. 

Someone said Leonard got a F his first preseason game by the coaches. I hope speed can catch up fast.

12 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Leonard, Okereke and Speed have the length, speed, athleticism and seemingly intangibles to form a great trio for years.

Walker, Adams and Franklin provide speed and intangibles for good to great depth!

So, this year,  it's highly likely, even probable that Walker holds his startig MIKE job.   He may lose some snaps on some passing downs.    But unless Okereke way outperforms him,  Walker should hold on to his job for one more year.     Next year might be a different story.

But next year is also Walker's last year on his rookie contract.    So, if he loses his starting job,  then I would predict a trade, maybe around the 2020 draft,  or maybe around summer camp.

Because after that,  Walker is not going to stay on the Colts to be anyone's back-up.   Not when he could start for about half the NFL.    He'll be a free agent in 2021,  so why not trade him and get something for him rather than let him walk out the door a year from then and get nothing.

So, I don't think it's likely that we'll see Walker as a back-up.   Certainly not for long.

Just a different perspective....

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

Speed is bigger

How long till the 1st "Speed Kills" shirt shows up.

Hey, its still better than build the monster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

He's got incredible size and speed. It's really going to be interesting. 

To me Speed stole the show not just at LB, but on the D in general.

At 6-4 and 230 with that speed is crazy. I think he timed out at 4.6 at one of his workouts, but he looks faster. I think Leonard was around 4.7 if that tells you anything. I'd bet that his college S&C program wasn't anything to brag about, and he could probably put on a few lbs of muscle without losing speed.

It's early, but wouldn't be shocked if he were the real deal. Far more upside than Okereke IMO. I still think Walker holds his spot at MIKE. Having a two deep of Leonard/Speed and Walker/Okereke is nice. 

I know we don't use SAM that much, and don't see that changing. Not really a fan of Adams and Franklin's size. Both are only 6-0, and around 230ish. Perhaps they give Speed or Okereke some time there in the regular season when they do go 3 LB.

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Someone said Leonard got a F his first preseason game by the coaches. I hope speed can catch up fast.

Leonard didn't play.

53 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Leonard didn't play.

He's talking about Leonard's first ever preseason game. Not the bills game.

So is Speed able to play MLB? like if he did end up being very good we aren't making Leonard a back up obviously lol

40 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

So is Speed able to play MLB? like if he did end up being very good we aren't making Leonard a back up obviously lol

In that clip where it talked about how much ground he covers I believe that play was made from him playing Mike.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

In that clip where it talked about how much ground he covers I believe that play was made from him playing Mike.

Great! that's what I wanted to hear lol

I recall that Speed is a converted WR. That means he has ball skills. INTs instead of balls batted down.

Leonards timed speed at the combine is slow due to a pulled quad I believe. So 4.7 is accurate per nfl.com but he is clearly closer to a 4.5 to 4.6 guy on the field.

Having said that, all of our linebackers can run like safety's so we're golden in the speed department pun intended! Ha!

33 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Leonards timed speed at the combine is slow due to a pulled quad I believe. So 4.7 is accurate per nfl.com but he is clearly closer to a 4.5 to 4.6 guy on the field.

Having said that, all of our linebackers can run like safety's so we're golden in the speed department pun intended! Ha!

He ran a 4.62 at either a pro day or team workout IIRC. It's really more about his burst and agility IMO than his 40. And we have a bunch of quick / agile guys. So NICE!

12 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

He ran a 4.62 at either a pro day or team workout IIRC. It's really more about his burst and agility IMO than his 40. And we have a bunch of quick / agile guys. So NICE!

Yeah I thought he did a faster time but wasn't 100% sure. You are correct, the first step and lateral agility to turn his hips makes him arrive on the scene quicker than timed speed!

Someone broke down two similar plays (Stampede Blue I think) showing the same ability in Speed to turn, step and accelerate to fill a gap.

53 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Yeah I thought he did a faster time but wasn't 100% sure. You are correct, the first step and lateral agility to turn his hips makes him arrive on the scene quicker than timed speed!

Someone broke down two similar plays (Stampede Blue I think) showing the same ability in Speed to turn, step and accelerate to fill a gap.

Just did a quick google to confirm. Best timed speed for Leonard I could find was 4.6 flat which is a little better than the 4.62. 

Okereke was timed at 4.58 and Walker 4.53, but I think Speed and Leonard have better overall quickness. All are pretty quick though.

• Thanks 1

@Chloe6124

So, you gave a post of mine about Walker not wanting to be a back-up for the Colts in the future a "confused" reaction....

May I ask what you found confusing about it?     Perhaps I can clarify...

12 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I recall that Speed is a converted WR. That means he has ball skills. INTs instead of balls batted down.

Well...if he was converted from WR it might mean he doesn’t have ball skills. :D

I believe he was recruited to be a QB, then converted to WR. After injuries, moved to D and balled out. Having that background has to help reading Ds.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

@Chloe6124

So, you gave a post of mine about Walker not wanting to be a back-up for the Colts in the future a "confused" reaction....

May I ask what you found confusing about it?     Perhaps I can clarify...

I just feel Walker is way undervalued by fans. I never would of guessed he was that fast by the way some fans want to push him out.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I just feel Walker is way undervalued by fans. I never would of guessed he was that fast by the way some fans want to push him out.

He's not undervalued by me!    I love the kid.    Glad when we drafted him!    Glad he showed well last season.   And I expect another good season this year.    

I just think we have a choice to make next year.    If he looks like he'll be the starter again,  well, then he stays and starts.     But if looks like Okereke or Speed wil pass him by,  then we likely trade him while he has decent value.   He'd likely start for half of NFL.    Someone will want him if he doesn't want to stay and back-up.

This isn't decided by any means.    I was only trying to say that his long-term future here isn't as a back-up.     He either starts,  or he moves on to start for someone else... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Many folks undervalue Walker. Many forget he's only been in the league 2 years, and his first year wasn't typical. When he got here in 2017, he was late to rookie camp because of NW, then plagued with injuries in 2017. In 2018 he was injured and didn't participate in training camp or pre-season. He still started in spite of the injuries and ended up having a great tackle to snap ratio, and improved big time as the year went along. 

Athlon rated him the 20th best MLB, but I think he's closer to the 13-15 range. I don't see Okereke threatening this year, but Speed does have a tremendous ceiling. 

• Like 2

If guys from this years draft turn out to be studs like Darius Leonard, the potential of this young defense is going to be scary if guys like Speed, Okereke, Ya-Sin, and Willis pan out to be good players.

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

Athlon rated him the 20th best MLB, but I think he's closer to the 13-15 range. I don't see Okereke threatening this year, but Speed does have a tremendous ceiling. 

Seeing him first time in Colts uniform, he reminded me to Tremaine Edmunds of last year draft, who went to the Bills in the first round. An athletic freak, whos still learning football, many times he doesn't know yet what he supposed to do on the field, but the ceiling is sky high. Once he learns / if he learns how to play the position, he can be generationally good at MLB. Of course that is a big if. But it well worth a 5th round pick to find it out.

Until then, we have a very good young MLB in Walker. Ballard took care of the MLB position very well by not spending much.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

Seeing him first time in Colts uniform, he reminded me to Tremaine Edmunds of last year draft, who went to the Bills in the first round. An athletic freak, whos still learning football, many times he doesn't know yet what he supposed to do on the field, but the ceiling is sky high. Once he learns / if he learns how to play the position, he can be generationally good at MLB. Of course that is a big if. But it well worth a 5th round pick to find it out.

Until then, we have a very good young MLB in Walker. Ballard took care of the MLB position very well by not spending much.

I agree on all of this. I think Walker still can get better, and I think Speed has the raw tools to be very good down the road at almost any LB spot. Last year was Walkers first full year, and first year in the new D. I expect him to be better this year.

On Speed, like you said, it's a big if. Can he match his physical tools with football smarts. That size and speed, and likely hood he can add 10lbs to that frame if needed with little impact to speed is pretty enticing. I like the chances though over the next couple seasons.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I agree on all of this. I think Walker still can get better, and I think Speed has the raw tools to be very good down the road at almost any LB spot. Last year was Walkers first full year, and first year in the new D. I expect him to be better this year.

On Speed, like you said, it's a big if. Can he match his physical tools with football smarts. That size and speed, and likely hood he can add 10lbs to that frame if needed with little impact to speed is pretty enticing. I like the chances though over the next couple seasons.

Isn't Walker about 10lbs lighter this year? More Speed.
 I was kinda amazed how fast Leonard consistently got people to the ground.
 He used his long arms and good technique to full advantage i believe.
  Speed had a couple plays that looked just like that. Very interesting. And he did look Quick. Yippee!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Isn't Walker about 10lbs lighter this year? More Speed.
 I was kinda amazed how fast Leonard consistently got people to the ground.
 He used his long arms and good technique to full advantage i believe.
  Speed had a couple plays that looked just like that. Very interesting. And he did look Quick. Yippee!

Not sure about Walker losing weight, but he's already pretty fast at 4.53.

Leonard said he lost weight and that it would help keep him injury free. He was already 4.6 but quicker than fast.

I'm with you on Speed. He's got a lot of burst. At 6-4 and 230lbs, he could add good weight too. I don't see him starting this year, but I could see him and Leonard being a gruesome twosome down the road. It's really early, but the flash is definitely there. I'd like to see him get earlier reps to really make a more informed opinion.

50 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Not sure about Walker losing weight, but he's already pretty fast at 4.53.

Leonard said he lost weight and that it would help keep him injury free. He was already 4.6 but quicker than fast.

I'm with you on Speed. He's got a lot of burst. At 6-4 and 230lbs, he could add good weight too. I don't see him starting this year, but I could see him and Leonard being a gruesome twosome down the road. It's really early, but the flash is definitely there. I'd like to see him get earlier reps to really make a more informed opinion.

I don't know. I could actually see Speed taking over the SAM from Matthew Adams. I hate saying that considering how much I like Matthew.  Matthew started there and he was a lower draft pick than Speed last year.  It's not that hard for me to see Speed take over the Sam at a minimum. Especially if they want a Jamie Collins like guy at that spot.  I could see Speed doing the Jamie Collins thing in similar fashion like they had originally planned for Banogu.