Indianapolis Colts
ColtsLegacy

PFF Refocused: Colts @ Bills

1 hour ago, C0lts088 said:

Does anyone know who #71 on the D-line was? Not sure if he caught anyone else's eye, but he was in the backfield nearly every pass play. 

(Side-note; somehow we have a #71 on the O-line and D-line, didn't think and don't know how this was possible) 

https://www.colts.com/team/players-roster/obum-gwacham/

They allow teams to have players with the same number in the preseason.  With a roster of 90, retired numbers and position groups being confined to blocks of numbers, they have to allow it, but I think they cannot play on the same side of the field.

The Colts also have two: #8, #9, #38, and #47

1 hour ago, cbear said:

He tried to do an outside speed rush and dip under on one play.  I wanted to cry at the attempt. 

I remember that play.  I did not know that was a dip attempt, I thought he stumbled over a a clump of grass.

I will stop with the bashing now because I do have confidence that he will bounce back, he showed some flashes last year, he just had a really, really bad game against a middle of the road starting oline and pretty bad back-up olines.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 9:00 AM, BeanDiasucci said:

The thing about Turay that has always concerned me is that he wasn't particularly good in college. 14.5 sacks and 19 tackles for losses total over a 4-year period at Rutgers. Never even made Honorable Mention All-Big Ten, let alone being named to the First, Second or Third-String All-Big Ten. That doesn't say that he lacks ability, but something was missing. I know that Ballard knows what he's doing, but this one is a little hard for me to understand, even though Turay apparently looked great at the Senior Bowl.

I was reading today that Carroll Phillips, playing in the same league as Turay, had 19 tackles for losses and nine sacks during his senior year (2016) at Illinois and was named First-Team All Big Ten. Apparently, he didn't get drafted because of medical issues.  http://walterfootball.com/wu2017cphillips.php   

Turay, during his senior year at Rutgers (2017), played in 12 games while starting nine at defensive end. He had nine tackles for loss and four sacks, and was not named to an All Big Ten team. His best year in college was his redshirt freshman year, when he had 7.5 sacks, and then injuries limited him to eight games his sophomore year and three games his junior year.

Having played only two years of high school football, it makes some sense that Turay is behind other players in his development, although he was at Rutgers for five years including a redshirt season. Can the Colts can translate his explosive athletic potential into becoming a legit NFL starter or at least an impact player on third and long? I have no idea, but I think it's interesting that a guy who apparently has so much ability has so little production to this point in his football career. 

27 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I was reading today that Carroll Phillips, playing in the same league as Turay, had 19 tackles for losses and nine sacks during his senior year (2016) at Illinois and was named First-Team All Big Ten. Apparently, he didn't get drafted because of medical issues.  http://walterfootball.com/wu2017cphillips.php   

Turay, during his senior year at Rutgers (2017), played in 12 games while starting nine at defensive end. He had nine tackles for loss and four sacks, and was not named to an All Big Ten team. His best year in college was his redshirt freshman year, when he had 7.5 sacks, and then injuries limited him to eight games his sophomore year and three games his junior year.

Having played only two years of high school football, it makes some sense that Turay is behind other players in his development, although he was at Rutgers for five years including a redshirt season. Can the Colts can translate his explosive athletic potential into becoming a legit NFL starter or at least an impact player on third and long? I have no idea, but I think it's interesting that a guy who apparently has so much ability has so little production to this point in his football career. 

You could say the same about Hooker.

6 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

You could say the same about Hooker.

Kind of, but Hooker was a first-team All Big Ten pick after his sophomore year at Ohio State https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2016/11/29/13784956/2016-all-big-ten-conference-football-team-malik-hooker-raekwon-mcmillan-tyquan-lewis and then entered the draft.  He had seven interceptions, including three he returned for touchdowns, and was a consensus All-American. So he at least had one really good year of college football. I should stop posting about it and just see what happens over the next couple of seasons, but surprises me about Turay is that he was at Rutgers for five years and never even made honorable mention for All Big Ten, and then got drafted in the second round. 

23 hours ago, cbear said:

The bad thing about Turay was he was struggling against inferior competition as well.  He seems very indecisive.  Almost as if he's thinking "what should I do" as he gets out of his stance. 

Turay was clearly  holding back like Brissett  and hines

I know this doesn't sound good, but I'm glad they abused #34 the other night. He has a lot to learn as a rookie, and I'm hoping this game and the next 3 will really open his eyes, and tell him how much he needs to learn, and that he builds on his faults. Welcome to the NFL rookie!!!

52 minutes ago, aavmarine said:

I know this doesn't sound good, but I'm glad they abused #34 the other night. He has a lot to learn as a rookie, and I'm hoping this game and the next 3 will really open his eyes, and tell him how much he needs to learn, and that he builds on his faults. Welcome to the NFL rookie!!!

They have been putting him on DF in one on one drills and he has been terrific. It’s going to be fun to watch rock with the browns.

18 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

They have been putting him on DF in one on one drills and he has been terrific. It’s going to be fun to watch rock with the browns.

I kinda take the WR/CB matchups in TC with a grain of salt. There's always the possibility that the CB's are being handsy/too physical, and from what I saw in the 1st PS game (and from some tweets in TC) it seems like Rock could draw a few DPI flags. Just an obversation though.

Also, I've always wondered if we run more man to man in TC than we do in game. Because Rock is much better in man and IMO seemed to struggle in zone defense in the 1st PS game.

That said, I think Rock has good ball skills and could get some INT's.

What I did see, a least a couple times, was him 2nd guessing a tackle, and allowing someone else to make the tackle. I'm just hoping they throw his way more than often in these next 3 games. Only way to learn, is to treat you like a red headed step child. Practice is one thing, but getting your butt kicked in preseason is another.

On 8/9/2019 at 11:48 AM, throwing BBZ said:

I was hoping to never see Hines run the ball again, pre-draft.
Rock shouldn't play zone again anytime soon. Eck! 
 It was very Raw last night with lot's of younguns just getting their feet wet.
  After watching this i can safely project us starting 3-5.

If Andrew starts on PUP, we may not even get to 3-5.

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

Turay was clearly  holding back like Brissett  and hines

What's the point in playing if you're gonna hold back?

On 8/9/2019 at 2:23 PM, C0lts088 said:

Does anyone know who #71 on the D-line was? Not sure if he caught anyone else's eye, but he was in the backfield nearly every pass play. 

(Side-note; somehow we have a #71 on the O-line and D-line, didn't think and don't know how this was possible) 

#71 is Obum Gwacham. He only got about maybe 8 snaps late in the game. He looked really good though in those reps. Left me wanting to see more of him.