Indianapolis Colts
ColtsLegacy

PFF Refocused: Colts @ Bills

3 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Thanks for the link.  Pretty much matches the eye test from last night.  Stewart of beast last night and he was so quick off the snap.  Fountain looked good.  Like Kelly, I'd like to see him against better competition.

I also thought Turray had a horrible game and looked like he does NOT belong in the NFL.

Clark looked pretty good at LT.  I will be surprised if Barton is not replaced by Saturday, he looked absolutely horrible against the 3s and 4s.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Thanks for the link.  Pretty much matches the eye test from last night.  Stewart of beast last night and he was so quick off the snap.  Fountain looked good.  Like Kelly, I'd like to see him against better competition.

I also thought Turray had a horrible game and looked like he does NOT belong in the NFL.

Clark looked pretty good at LT.  I will be surprised if Barton is not replaced by Saturday, he looked absolutely horrible against the 3s and 4s.

To the bolded, I was so disappointed in his play. Looked horrible,  and I was hoping he was going to look improved this year. Hopefully he just had a bad game.  Barton looked awful as well.

• Like 1

I didn't notice that MA-C struggled in run blocking.  Probably because the entire first team line was bad.  Yes, I understand that two starters were out.  Still, to a man, the Colts O line was owned last night.

Agree about Turray, I was expecting so much more.

The thing about Turay that has always concerned me is that he wasn't particularly good in college. 14.5 sacks and 19 tackles for losses total over a 4-year period at Rutgers. Never even made Honorable Mention All-Big Ten, let alone being named to the First, Second or Third-String All-Big Ten. That doesn't say that he lacks ability, but something was missing. I know that Ballard knows what he's doing, but this one is a little hard for me to understand, even though Turay apparently looked great at the Senior Bowl.

Hopefully, the offensive line will come together once they get all of their starters playing like they did last year. But if they continue to struggle, the decision to change position coaches after a season of immense improvement at this position may be a little tough to defend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Thats very concerning regarding Turay. He has so much ability and athleticism that I’d hate to go to waste. 

8 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Hopefully, the offensive line will come together once they get all of their starters playing like they did last year. But if they continue to struggle, the decision to change position coaches after a season of immense improvement at this position may be a little tough to defend.

Agreed.  But we can't get a solid view of that unless the entire starting line is in there and healthy.

Who was number 42 on defense? Whoever that is should’ve been listed under the poor performances. Got abused in coverage the whole game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did not see the horrible play from Turay. I actually was surprised he had a couple good stops in the run game. That isn’t his game.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Who was number 42 on defense? Whoever that is should’ve been listed under the poor performances. Got abused in coverage the whole game

Rolun Minnigan I think is his name. He won’t even make the team.

Here is where I am concerned. Do teams take different approaches to the pre season. I watched highlights from the NE game. Brady didn’t play but their two QB still combined for like 350 yards. They looked like they were running their offense and looked sharp. Using everyone. Our offense just looked ridiculous.

• Like 3

Just a thought the Colts fired there offensive line coach. Who did a pretty good job last year. and is now with Miami.  Granted it is only preseason.

time will tell

• Like 2

Just now, mirobi48 said:

Just a thought the Colts fired there offensive line coach. Who did a pretty good job last year. and is now with Miami.  Granted it is only preseason.

time will tell

When the center and LT are not playing it’s kind of going to be bad. Plus the other three only played a few plays. But you are right. It’s going to be interesting to see if they adjust to the new approach. We dont need luck to get killed. Plus I am sure the vanilla schemes hurt them last night also.

27 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

When the center and LT are not playing it’s kind of going to be bad. 

Hines had 6 carries for 1 yard. This is beyond bad.

Do the Colts have no depth at all on the O-line? What are the chances that the 5 starters all play 16 games?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Didn't get to see the game. Why was Turay so bad?

He had no moves and no hand play on rushes, poor hand placement, no bend, no strength.. he would just run straight forward and then play pat a cake with the tackle until the play was over.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

He had no moves and no hand play on rushes, poor hand placement, no bend, no strength.. he would just run straight forward and then play pat a cake with the tackle until the play was over.

Right on.   He showed nothing last night.  Regarding Clark I thought he looked awful. I don't trust him in PB.  I don't want to see him out there with Luck. 

I think you have to temper the criticism of Turay because the defensive schemes were not really what we will see during the season. Plus you had some pretty important guys that did not play on defense. A lot of what you saw by Turay might of been by design. 

Turay was drafted for his pass rush potential. We didn't see that last night, but the defensive schemes were simple so it's hard to tell.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, egg said:

Hines had 6 carries for 1 yard. This is beyond bad.

Do the Colts have no depth at all on the O-line? What are the chances that the 5 starters all play 16 games?

It’s a little different when you have one starter out. You can work that. It’s a lot different when your trying out two different guys. Then the three starters barely played.

I was hoping to never see Hines run the ball again, pre-draft.
Rock shouldn't play zone again anytime soon. Eck! 
 It was very Raw last night with lot's of younguns just getting their feet wet.
  After watching this i can safely project us starting 3-5.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Here is where I am concerned. Do teams take different approaches to the pre season. I watched highlights from the NE game. Brady didn’t play but their two QB still combined for like 350 yards. They looked like they were running their offense and looked sharp. Using everyone. Our offense just looked ridiculous.

That whole argument about not giving anything away during the preseason is mostly garbage.  You want to execute your base offense (and defense).  Sure, you don't want to show any gadget plays.  During the Peyton years, we ran the same offense continuously.  Everyone knew it, it was just so well executed it could hardly be stopped.

We just didn't look sharp.  Some teams, like the Bills, Browns, Pats, and a few others, looked like they were ahead of us.  That will change as the preseason goes on. 

• Like 3

So apparently Reich will do a conference call today. Bowen said he is going to ask him how he balances not caring about the preseason but wanting to start the season strong. He is also mentioning on his podcast how Nelson did not look good. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Right on.   He showed nothing last night.  Regarding Clark I thought he looked awful. I don't trust him in PB.  I don't want to see him out there with Luck. 

Obviously, since you are responding  to my comment about Clark, I disagree.  Clark showed good movement last night and did not get pushed back like he has in seasons past.  He didn't look like a starter but he did look like someone who can fill in if need be.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think you have to temper the criticism of Turay because the defensive schemes were not really what we will see during the season. Plus you had some pretty important guys that did not play on defense. A lot of what you saw by Turay might of been by design. 

Scheme means nothing during the preseason.  During the preseason you look at technique and his technique was poor.

I think he played every snap in the first half at least, a little out of control at times, but Turay was one of the few players who actually got some pressure on the QB. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

I think he played every snap in the first half at least, a little out of control at times, but Turay was one of the few players who actually got some pressure on the QB. 

I actually thought he got a couple good run stops also. That surprised me because that isn’t his game

13 minutes ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

Sorry, I thought we were talking about the game last night.

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

He stuck out over and over again . . . for all the wrong reasons.

Hairston - Yikes, the dude just looked lost sometimes. 

Positives: Tell and Ya-Sin both looked very dialed in and competitive. 

Mixed bag: Odum.  He's physical, but relies on speed he doesn't have in coverage. 

I thought Carroll Phillips was the Colts biggest star last night.

https://www.colts.com/news/five-things-learned-colts-bills-preseason-week-1

• PHILLIPS THE MENACE: Carroll Phillips saw his 2018 season end prematurely after suffering a groin injury and being placed on injured reserve in mid-November. The Illinois product is clearly trying to make up for lost time, as he turned in a solid performance for the Indy defense Thursday night, finishing with two sacks and also recovering a fumble on a botched snap in the second quarter. Phillips is hoping to continue setting himself apart for an extremely talented Colts defensive line room. “When they put me out there, I just try to help the team out anyway I can, hustling to the ball, making big plays,” he said after the game. “I just wanted to challenge myself while I was out there and see what I could do, make a few plays and try to help the team out”

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Can't blame the guy for wanting to "pat a cake" , as you say.

Who doesnt like a good "pat a cake" session?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

2nd Qtr, Barkley actually made a great throw for a completion, while being taken to the ground by Turay. 

In the football world that is not considered a tackle.  And it's funny you picked a play where Turay was once again stopped and the QB stepped up past his lineman to Turay.  It was not a great play by Turay. 

5 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

In the football world that is not considered a tackle.

He got pressure on the QB. It was a good play inspite of the fact you didn't notice it.

Just now, KelownaColtsFan said:

He got pressure on the QB. It was a good play inspite of the fact you didn't notice it.

I did notice it... it just wasn't a good play.

Well it was, it was a great play for Barkley and the WR.  it was not a good play for the Colts.

Does anyone know who #71 on the D-line was? Not sure if he caught anyone else's eye, but he was in the backfield nearly every pass play. 

(Side-note; somehow we have a #71 on the O-line and D-line, didn't think and don't know how this was possible) 

The bad thing about Turay was he was struggling against inferior competition as well.  He seems very indecisive.  Almost as if he's thinking "what should I do" as he gets out of his stance. 

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

He tried to do an outside speed rush and dip under on one play.  I wanted to cry at the attempt. 

Turray played very well last night. Do not know what you all are seeing. He almost had two sacks.