Indianapolis Colts
Scott Pennock

Vanilla Play Calling

I remember when Manning was here, every pre-season we would put up 10 or 15 points a game and look like crap.??We would watchbQBs do pretty much what we saw last night.  It tended to be ugly football.   Then Peyton would step on the firld in the tegular season and a switch would flip.

This year is a lil different because it would be nice to see receivers WITH LUCK for at least practice.  But the Luck thing is another issue, tho related.

I guess my biggest dissapointment for PS1 (tho i didnt visually watch it Yet, is the inept offense.  Vanilla or not, starters or not, i expected a little more from Brissett and the "1st team"!effort in general.   Im not gonna over react or worry until a couple more games.  But, come on, we should have been able to do a little better.

The vanilla thing doesnt worry me that much really.  But it does concern me when i see other teams sans-starters putting up 26-30 points.  NE and cleveland kinda looked in mid-season  form.'

Frank and this team dug themselv s out of a major hole early last season.  We can only hope they will get it together in the bext few weeks and out guys get healthy.  That sounds like alot of ifs when i say it.

Oddly enough, look at who played the best in this game. Swag  Kelly, Carroll Phillips, Fountain,  Stewart, Jonathon W.  These are the borderline players who had to play well to earn a spot.  Preseason. 

12 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Dear God...

You are always worth either a 1) head rub or 2) a good laugh. 

But it's  true. The chargers  aren't  going to watch game one of the preseason to gain a competitive  advantage. They already  know to double  Hilton  and force Luck or Brissett  to pass to someone  else. There is also plenty  of tape on Funchess.  The only potential  surprise  is Campbell as he hasn't  taken  a meaningful  snap yet.

5 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I remember when Manning was here, every pre-season we would put up 10 or 15 points a game and look like crap.??We would watchbQBs do pretty much what we saw last night.  It tended to be ugly football.   Then Peyton would step on the firld in the tegular season and a switch would flip.

This year is a lil different because it would be nice to see receivers WITH LUCK for at least practice.  But the Luck thing is another issue, tho related.

I guess my biggest dissapointment for PS1 (tho i didnt visually watch it Yet, is the inept offense.  Vanilla or not, starters or not, i expected a little more from Brissett and the "1st team"!effort in general.   Im not gonna over react or worry until a couple more games.  But, come on, we should have been able to do a little better.

The vanilla thing doesnt worry me that much really.  But it does concern me when i see other teams sans-starters putting up 26-30 points.  NE and cleveland kinda looked in mid-season  form.'

Frank and this team dug themselv s out of a major hole early last season.  We can only hope they will get it together in the bext few weeks and out guys get healthy.  That sounds like alot of ifs when i say it.

The main problem  was they were poorly  executed vanilla  plays. 6 Carrie's for a yard by hines. If the starting  oline goes down or Mack our running game could be nonexistent 

• Thanks 1

Lots of overreaction to a Colts practice game.   

Winning should not have been a priority.

Big fancy plays should not have been a priority.

56 minutes ago, Stephen said:

But it's  true. The chargers  aren't  going to watch game one of the preseason to gain a competitive  advantage. They already  know to double  Hilton  and force Luck or Brissett  to pass to someone  else. There is also plenty  of tape on Funchess.  The only potential  surprise  is Campbell as he hasn't  taken  a meaningful  snap yet.

You should stay away from explaining football strategy. It does not suit you. 

• Like 1

I just want to say that I really like vanilla.  Every good bowl of ice cream starts with vanilla.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Myles said:

I just want to say that I really like vanilla.  Every good bowl of ice cream starts with vanilla.  

Excellent point.
 And vanilla Almond milk in my Muscle Milk shake is Grr-eat!.
 Add 1/2 banana and it is deeee-licious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back to the vanilla play calling of the game that some people didn't like.

I liked it.   I didn't like the execution of the plays though.   

In my opinion, it is smart coaching to spend the first practice game working on the basic "vanilla" plays.  You'll be running these plays 75% of the time.   When you are up 20-10 in the 4th quarter, you will be running these plays to grind the clock and pick up first downs.   They better practice them to make them work.   I'd be more disappointed if the regular season started and they had not practiced the basic "vanilla" plays that are essential to a teams success.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

You should stay away from explaining football strategy. It does not suit you. 

Very well

6 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Oddly enough, look at who played the best in this game. Swag  Kelly, Carroll Phillips, Fountain,  Stewart, Jonathon W.  These are the borderline players who had to play well to earn a spot.  Preseason. 

Carroll Phillips  was impressive, but would he even make the 53 man roster. We have had preseason  standouts before that have been cut or traded.

On 8/8/2019 at 10:58 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Bugs the crap out of me. You have your first stringers out there, execute non-vanilla plays for crying out loud.

I'm not advocating breaking out year two wrinkles but what's wrong with plays that we ran last year that are already on tape.

How can they possibly evaluate game day tape with 76 3 and outs......?

I also think with Luck's mysterious  calf injury most people want to see a glimmer  of hope in Brissett  should he have to take the field against  the chargers. With the way the plays went down in preseason  game one it's  hard to tell if he's  regressed to a new level of bad or was severely  sandbagging.

10 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Exotic wasn't mentioned. Normal calls from last year that were on tape already. Why not see if Pascal can execute those routes? Or Cain? Or Johnson? Tough to "evaluate" when you're going 3 and out because you call vanilla plays.

Less thinking? Play faster? Bogus.....they should know the playbook already.

So I’m assuming you missed where they mentioned they are going to build and install more from what they did last year? I have several friends and family members who play in the NFL I’ve seen their playbooks, believe me when I tell you to learn not only your assignment but everyone else’s assignments on each and every play is not a simple and easy task ESPECIALLY as a rookie. So no its not bogus.

17 hours ago, Stephen said:

Non sense. The Patriots  and Ravens put on a better showing. You don't  have to intentionally suck in preseason  to be good in the reg season. Brissett  needs all the reps he can get. They aren't  fooling the chargers with with negative  runs by hines and poorly executed  screens. 

Sure, but that doesn’t mean it’s time to overreact. The team will be fine, we were watching backups play the majority of the game. The only thing this game proved is that we need more depth on the team. The playcalling means nothing if you don’t have talented players who understand what it all means. 

10 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Sure, but that doesn’t mean it’s time to overreact. The team will be fine, we were watching backups play the majority of the game. The only thing this game proved is that we need more depth on the team. The playcalling means nothing if you don’t have talented players who understand what it all means. 

Especially  along the oline and perhaps another rb to incase Mack goes down 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I also think with Luck's mysterious  calf injury most people want to see a glimmer  of hope in Brissett  should he have to take the field against  the chargers. With the way the plays went down in preseason  game one it's  hard to tell if he's  regressed to a new level of bad or was severely  sandbagging.

The thought crossed my mind that if Brissett needed to play then that was a horrible way to call plays. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

So I’m assuming you missed where they mentioned they are going to build and install more from what they did last year? I have several friends and family members who play in the NFL I’ve seen their playbooks, believe me when I tell you to learn not only your assignment but everyone else’s assignments on each and every play is not a simple and easy task ESPECIALLY as a rookie. So no its not bogus.

You still miss the mark and you reply without comprehension.....

Follow. The. Bouncing. Ball.

If you ran a play last year that is ALREADY on film why not run it in preseason to see if your newer/younger guys can execute said play.

I've clearly stated throughout this entire thread to withhold the new wrinkles.....

For the record there were zero rookies at WR with the 1's......Pascal (3rd year in nfl), Rogers (4th year in nfl), Johnson (4th year in nfl) and Funchess (5th year in nfl).....

Does this have to be a topic every year? The colts suck in reagular season almost intentionally. Doesn't stop them from playing well in the regular season. Not having andrew in practice doesn't stop the team from playing well in the regular season. I just dont understand why the sky has to be falling. 

As much as the colts suck in preseason, just as much the forum has to see the sky falling. 

It's the law of nature I guess. 

I don't think it's an overreaction to be disappointed in how the first string offense looked in the limited time they were on the field. It's what Reich said, too:

While Reich admitted that he wasn’t exactly calling the most exotic run designs Thursday night, he has confidence in his offense that it can get the job done in even the most simple of play calls. But, as Reich said of the first-team’s effort after the game, “We couldn’t run the ball at all.”

“Yeah we were vanilla … but it shouldn’t matter in the run game,” Reich said. “You know, we were expecting to run the ball. We know this is a very good run defense — Leslie Frazier is a great defensive coordinator; this defense is always tough to run it against year in and year out. But that was disappointing.”

https://www.colts.com/news/colts-bills-frank-reich-postgame-reaction

The only game in the preseason I care about is the third.  The penciled in starters play most of the first half, sometimes into the second, and by then it should all be a clear vision.  I am still watching the first preseason game, my focus is on individuals.

16 hours ago, colts8718 said:

We looked like we were playing in slow motion :scratch:

If we were going to do that I'd have just played walker and kelly the whole time.

Liked Kelly I have the feeling he might be needed to back up Brissett Luck always has something going on 

On 8/10/2019 at 11:27 AM, Scott Pennock said:

You still miss the mark and you reply without comprehension.....

Follow. The. Bouncing. Ball.

If you ran a play last year that is ALREADY on film why not run it in preseason to see if your newer/younger guys can execute said play.

I've clearly stated throughout this entire thread to withhold the new wrinkles.....

For the record there were zero rookies at WR with the 1's......Pascal (3rd year in nfl), Rogers (4th year in nfl), Johnson (4th year in nfl) and Funchess (5th year in nfl).....

Actually I don’t believe I missed the mark, I just think you’re failing to understand the point being made here. The 1’s were on the field for 2-3 series to knock the rust off. They saw 12-15 plays at most offensively. You’re arguing as to why the coaching staff chose to call “vanilla plays” I along with several other forum members have reiterated the same thing. For the sake of you arguing your point it just seems as if you’re the one that can’t comprehend why which is fine. Although there weren’t many rookies playing at WR outside of Dulin, you still have other players at other positions on the field. There are 11 men on the field at all times my friend. So yea there were rookies at WR , OL and TE. It doesn’t make sense to call an exotic play for the sake of seeing if they can “execute” it in a first preseason game. I would suggest you go re-watch the game, you would notice that they ran the same plays whenever a different set of guys saw the field. They were clearly evaluating them. 

On 8/10/2019 at 1:41 PM, BeanDiasucci said:

I don't think it's an overreaction to be disappointed in how the first string offense looked in the limited time they were on the field. It's what Reich said, too:

It's not. The offense didn't look good, the OL didn't look good, and if we're going to talk about the lack of execution from any unit in this game, that's a fair topic, IMO. Of course, it would make sense to acknowledge that a) this is the first preseason game, and b) several of the team's best players were not on the field. So being disappointed might make sense, but the level of disappointment should be tempered by the related facts just mentioned.

But this thread started out as a complaint about play calling, as if the play calling in the first week of preseason with half the starters missing is an indication of how the team is going to play during the regular season. And that complaint would qualify as an overreaction, IMO. 

i dont think vanilla is the right word.  most teams are just running plays out of their base package. they will run the same plays in the regular season that they do in preseason. 

the difference is in the regular season they game plan and run specific  plays that work against the type of defensive schemes they are facing.

in the regular season they would never run some plays against say cover 2... but in the preseason they just say screw it run the play as called.