Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vanilla Play Calling

Scott Pennock

Bugs the crap out of me. You have your first stringers out there, execute non-vanilla plays for crying out loud.

I'm not advocating breaking out year two wrinkles but what's wrong with plays that we ran last year that are already on tape.

How can they possibly evaluate game day tape with 76 3 and outs......?

25 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Bugs the crap out of me. You have your first stringers out there, execute non-vanilla plays for crying out loud.

I'm not advocating breaking out year two wrinkles but what's wrong with plays that we ran last year that are already on tape.

Hands it to hines minus 1 yard. Hands it to hines minus 7. Screen to funchess 4 yards lol

• Like 1

As much as I thought the play calling was vanilla, it also seemed kind of familiar in terms of what we did last year in the reg. season. There were plenty of games where our offense would struggle in the 1st quarter and stall out because of stuffed 1st/2nd down runs. Of course, that got better as the year went on, but yeah.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

AC and Kelly did not play. That is what happened with Hines.

28 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s preseason it’s what teams do.  You don’t want to give away your plays in a meaningless game and you want to see what guys can do in base sets.

There is some truth to both these comments. 

• Like 1

The only disappointing thing about this game for me is that the Colts/NFL do not sell the zip pullover thing that Reich was wearing!! I have 2 similar that i purchased years ago (a blue and grey) that i need to replace and they don't sell them anymore! 

On the game, it was pretty much what was expected.

7 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

The level of cluelessness with this post is high. 

• Like 1

Seems to be smart coaching to me.   

These "vanilla" plays will be used allot throughout the season.  Every team runs them over 3/4 of the time.   Since it is the 1st preseason game, run them allot so that you have info for practice.   

• Like 2

We're fans.  We always want our team to look and play well...that's our way.

Coaches have a different way and means in the preseason.  They wanted (and got) to see how certain players perform...or don't.  From their perspective, the first preseason game went exactly as intended.

On to LA.  In a bit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CamMo said:

But did you see Baker Mayfield drive the Browns down the field though? I just want to be selfish and see a little pizzazz in August haha 

The browns look like a well oiled machine on offense. The patriots had two back QB get  like 350 yards. They also looked really good. I don’t know if we are taking a different approach but our offense looked really bad.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The browns look like a well oiled machine on offense. The patriots had two back QB get  like 350 yards. They also looked really good. I don’t know if we are taking a different approach but our offense looked really bad.

It had a lot to do with our playcalling of “run, run, crossing route, punt” repeat versus airing it out against a soft defense. I hope we get to see Jacoby air it out a bit more next game, but I’m not holding my breath. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CamMo said:

It had a lot to do with our playcalling of “run, run, crossing route, punt” repeat versus airing it out against a soft defense. I hope we get to see Jacoby air it out a bit more next game, but I’m not holding my breath. 

I don’t understand how this approach gets us ready for the regular season. I know pre season doesn’t matter but this approach just seems weird.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

AC and Kelly did not play. That is what happened with Hines.

O-line is the problem. Yes.

But this is very troubling to me. Three of the starters did play? I assume.

Hines had 6 carries for one yard. I don't care if it is the 1st pre-season game.  And I don't care if Buf. has a good D-line. This is very concerning. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t understand how this approach gets us ready for the regular season. I know pre season doesn’t matter but this approach just seems weird.

Agree.  The Colts are already under the 8 ball because they are practicing without Luck.  So how good can their offensive practices really be?  Not good.  Bad practice equals bad games.

And it showed last night.  So to then not practice some of the plays that at least have a shot of winning games during the season?  I don't get it.  All of these teams know the basic plays that each team runs.  It isn't going to surprise anyone.  Did the Colts do anything fancy during the Chiefs playoff game last year?  No.  They just got their butts handed to them.  When you execute plays, you do well.  When you don't?  You don't do well.

I am seeing a very bad trend starting with the O.  I am starting to think that Reich is not this offensive mastermind he is being made out to be.  I thought the offense ran better plays early last season compared to late.  They just executed better towards the end of the year last year.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Have you guys never watched a preseason game before?

I hear the same complaints about preseason games every year. I wonder if many fans expect preseason games to be just like regular season games, except with lesser known players - with the objective being only to win.

Maybe if those fans were made aware of the real objectives we'd have fewer complaints. Then again, maybe not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Agree.  The Colts are already under the 8 ball because they are practicing without Luck.  So how good can their offensive practices really be?  Not good.  Bad practice equals bad games.

And it showed last night.  So to then not practice some of the plays that at least have a shot of winning games during the season?  I don't get it.  All of these teams know the basic plays that each team runs.  It isn't going to surprise anyone.  Did the Colts do anything fancy during the Chiefs playoff game last year?  No.  They just got their butts handed to them.  When you execute plays, you do well.  When you don't?  You don't do well.

I am seeing a very bad trend starting with the O.  I am starting to think that Reich is not this offensive mastermind he is being made out to be.  I thought the offense ran better plays early last season compared to late.  They just executed better towards the end of the year last year.

Dear God

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Have you guys never watched a preseason game before?

judging by the posts, I would say, no they haven't....  And all it takes to make one team look worse than the other is for some actual game planning by one team.  Even half assed game planning.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, threeflight said:

man, it was so peaceful when you disappeared during the months of October/November/December last year.  If we get on a winning streak, will you please do so again?

• Like 1

Well - I guess the season is over.  Might as well plan what we are going to do with that number one pick.

I actually think it would be better if nobody watched preseason games.  They are for the fans but getting people to watch just brings in more money.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

man, it was so peaceful when you disappeared during the months of October/November/December last year.  If we get on a winning streak, will you please do so again?

Luck is hurt.....again. 

He is 'processing'.....again.

Luck is letting an injury get into his head.....again.

We all know what that may mean.

Team has not really practiced full with him since last year.

Do you think he, and the team will be able to magically turn it on just like that?  Doesn't work that way. 

I like to look at things realistically instead of with blue colored glasses.

I was at the LA game 2 years ago.  The blowout.  I will be at the SD game this opener.  At this rate SD will blow them out unless Luck magically gets better in the next 10 days.

3 minutes ago, threeflight said:

God is waiting for you to finish your letter to him.

Dear God,

Please make threeflight stop posting the same pessimistic post over and over again.  "Luck is injury-prone.  He guides the ball.  He's not as good as everyone thinks he is.  This team isn't as good as everyone thinks it is."

I'm sick of the same broken record blah blah blah.  Please make it stop.

Sincerely,

Lucky Colts Fan

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Maybe if those fans were made aware of the real objectives we'd have fewer complaints. Then again, maybe not.

Just listen to the coach. He spelled it out. Look at who's playing and who's not, and it's obvious that the team isn't going to be at peak form. 

I get wanting to see the team you root for play well, and win. But complaining about play calling in the first preseason game, when your starting QB isn't playing and QB2 only plays 11 snaps? I can't say that I'm surprised, but the response is still head scratching.

• Like 1

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Dear God,

Please make threeflight stop posting the same pessimistic post over and over again.  "Luck is injury-prone.  He guides the ball.  He's not as good as everyone thinks he is.  This team isn't as good as everyone thinks it is."

I'm sick of the same broken record blah blah blah.  Please make it stop.

Sincerely,

Lucky Colts Fan

Processing......