Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly or Phillip Walker

twfish

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Can we all not get too carried away with the first pre-season game.

First,  Brissett faced the first string defense.   While Kelly faced the 2nd and 3rd string defense.

Let's not pretend this is an apples to apples comparison.

It's almost amusing to see the number of Kelly supporters that have come from no where to say how good he is.   Clearly better than Walker, and now some say he's better than Brissett.   Goodness gracious.  

Just let things play out over the pre-season.    Kelly and Walker will both be cut,  and then Ballard will re-claim one of them for the P.S.   Most seem to hope it'll be Kelly.   I sure do.   I've been banging his drum since the day we signed him.     But maybe he looks so good that some other team claims him to be their primary back-up before we can re-claim him.    Stranger things have happened.   I sure hope not,  but it could happen.  

I look forward to seeing how things shake out....

That is when you pull of a trade and get something in return

Eagles need a Backup after the Sudfeld injury 

21 hours ago, Superman said:

I haven't seen the game yet, but it's not surprising to me that Walker didn't play well. He's not good, never has been, IMO.

I'm not expecting much from Chad Kelly, but if he can replace Walker on the PS and be groomed to be QB2 in 2020, that would be a nice transition from Brissett, assuming he's not on the team next year.

Kelly won't last on the PS for long.   

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just let things play out over the pre-season.    

Yo NCF

Valid points 1 and 2

I would like to see Kelly get some more meaningful reps, he is really an unknown, but some positive plays

And remember.....  we will still be getting 5 first round picks for Briskett........

:woah:

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Can we all not get too carried away with the first pre-season game.

First,  Brissett faced the first string defense.   While Kelly faced the 2nd and 3rd string defense.

Let's not pretend this is an apples to apples comparison.

It's almost amusing to see the number of Kelly supporters that have come from no where to say how good he is.   Clearly better than Walker, and now some say he's better than Brissett.   Goodness gracious.  

Just let things play out over the pre-season.    Kelly and Walker will both be cut,  and then Ballard will re-claim one of them for the P.S.   Most seem to hope it'll be Kelly.   I sure do.   I've been banging his drum since the day we signed him.     But maybe he looks so good that some other team claims him to be their primary back-up before we can re-claim him.    Stranger things have happened.   I sure hope not,  but it could happen.  

i dont think it matters who the receiver or coverage is when the throw is off target.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Kelly won't last on the PS for long.   

Kelly couldn't even get a QB3 job for months. I'm not sold on the idea that he'll be in popular demand right away. 

Also, he would have to agree to sign with another team, he can't just be claimed. So if he makes it through waivers and to the practice squad, it would be partly up to him to leave. And the Colts would have the rights to match.

• Like 1

Walker has never impressed me. Kelly has a better arm and a better football pedigree. With Kelly missing the first two games Walker may hold on to his spot but once Kelly returns Walker has to go. I was VERY dissapointed in Brisette but I hope he looks better in PS game 2

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Kelly couldn't even get a QB3 job for months. I'm not sold on the idea that he'll be in popular demand right away. 

I think allot of teams didn't want to be the one to take a chance on him.   If he continues to look good in preseason, I think he'll garner some interest.  

• Like 1

I just watched the game again and noticed a couple of things. Walker did not play as super bad as I first thought. He had a couple of nice completions to Marcus Johnson and a couple of nice throws to Deon Cain. Unfortunately, Cain flat out dropped the 1st pass and had the 2nd one tipped out of his hands in the end zone.

Kelly was very good, he can really fire the football with good accuracy. He throws the ball faster than Andrew. He has great mobility and good wheels, about the same as a healthy Andrew, and way better than Brissett. Brissett is a statue by comparison.

Reece Fountain played a really good game (5 for 63 yds)...he made some good catches on good routes and made one spectacular leaping 2-handed catch over a DB. This guy deserves to be on the team if he keeps playing like this. All the passes came from Kelly and they got there in a hurry...no floaters.

On 8/8/2019 at 11:05 PM, Colts1324 said:

Walker seems like a great guy, but I have always thought he was a TERRIBLE QB, and is one of the worst 3rd String QB's in the league. His accuracy is bad, and I don't see the point in having him on the roster. Our defense only suffers playing against a college-level QB talent during practice.  

I wonder if he would benefit from a switch to WR.

13 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i dont think it matters who the receiver or coverage is when the throw is off target.  

Again...   Brissett threw 5 passes.     That's it.     He threw hundreds of passes just two seasons ago.    That is his reputation.   Not this brief appearance in the first game of the pre-season.

Kelly who faced the 2nd and 3rd string (and who I really like) didn't pass on Brissett on the Depth Chart based on this game.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Again...   Brissett threw 5 passes.     That's it.     He threw hundreds of passes just two seasons ago.    That is his reputation.   Not this brief appearance in the first game of the pre-season.

Kelly who faced the 2nd and 3rd string (and who I really like) didn't pass on Brissett on the Depth Chart based on this game.

Kelly has been around, he made it to second string in denver .  he might have challenged Case Keenum too, but then he got in trouble 

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He is suspended two games though.

That's true but I don't think he counts against the 53.  So if I understand the rule correctly we won't have to worry about it until his suspension is over.  So I guess we can carry three QB's for two weeks.   I think we might have another player who is suspended and he wouldn't count either.  I'm sure someone knows the rule better than me though. 

17 hours ago, richard pallo said:

That's true but I don't think he counts against the 53.  So if I understand the rule correctly we won't have to worry about it until his suspension is over.  So I guess we can carry three QB's for two weeks.   I think we might have another player who is suspended and he wouldn't count either.  I'm sure someone knows the rule better than me though. 

Garcia is suspended as well but you are correct they do not count against the 53

The conversation has now become Kelly vs Brissett, not Kelly vs Walker.

With more practice reps and a few more games Kelly probable overtakes Brissett (even tho the Colts won't say so on the depth chart).

The depth chart seems more of a political  proprietary statement than a true statement of current ability. (vets get ranked higher even tho their talent is less).

5 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

For the practice squad I’d say Walker. He’s good for prepping our defenses for matchups against dual threat QBs. He’s not the better QB, but is better for the PS

I see your point, but disagree.  While he could help a bit to mimic the dual threat QB's, he doesn't mimic a good QB.

On 8/13/2019 at 5:29 AM, Myles said:

I see your point, but disagree.  While he could help a bit to mimic the dual threat QB's, he doesn't mimic a good QB.

That’s what Luck and Jacoby are for. I think being in the same division as Watson and mariota and 1/3 of our games being against dual threats, having someone like walker is pretty beneficial. Just my opinion.