Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly or Phillip Walker

twfish

I've never been a huge fan of Walker personally. He doesnt seem to throw the ball with any consistency. Plus the only time he can make good throws it out of the pocket it seems. I was liking what I saw against Kelly at training camp and seeing him tonight sealed it for me. I dont care if its against lower competition it's all about ball placement for me and he puts it right there. Thoughts?

• Like 4

Kelly's more talented. I didn't even think it was a question before the game really. It's just the off the field stuff that's hindered him.

Honestly, I think the coaches know this and more or less wanted to play Walker first out of respect. Walker's probably proven to be a great teammate and hard worker over the years, but I think Kelly is the better talent. For the WR's sake, I hope he gets more run in the next few games.

• Like 3

Walker seems like a great guy, but I have always thought he was a TERRIBLE QB, and is one of the worst 3rd String QB's in the league. His accuracy is bad, and I don't see the point in having him on the roster. Our defense only suffers playing against a college-level QB talent during practice.  

• Like 5

Chad Kelly hands down.  He has the size and all the tools.  He is an NFL QB.  He had quite a night with mostly 3rd and 4th string players.  I can't wait to see him with the 2nd. string.  I can now see why he was Denver's backup QB before his off field issues.  I actually thought he played better than Brissett.  He's definitely a keeper. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Chad Kelly hands down.  He has the size and all the tools.  He is an NFL QB.  He had quite a night with mostly 3rd and 4th string players.  I can't wait to see him with the 2nd. string.  I can now see why he was Denver's backup QB before his off field issues.  I actually thought he played better than Brissett.  He's definitely a keeper. 

The play calling was vanilla  with Brissett.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Franklin County said:

Kelly played better tonight. Definitely a better pocket passer. His speed surprised me, didn't know he was so mobile. Think he needs to move up the depth chart.

He has a two game suspension  so they'd have to keep brissett  and then trade him when he comes back

• Like 3

I'd like to see Kelly run with the ones during a pre-season game, VS the ones from another team. While he was easily the best QB tonight, he wasn't going against the Bill's best. Keep in mind that the Bills were #1 vs the pass last year. I'm guessing JB was going against some pretty decent guys on D. Walker might have got the 2nd and 3rd string, while CK got the same or guys further down the chain.

• Like 2

Kelly is definitely ahead at the moment.  But he needs to work against 2’s for us to see what he can really do.  It’s not like he can’t go out there and throw 3 interceptions vs the Brown’s 2’s but I’ve never been a fan of Walker.  If he’s gotta play we’re toast.  Might as well see what Kelly’s got.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Walker, do not let one 1 measly pre-season game fool you guys haha the simpsons homer GIF

Joking, right?   Ha ha.   

To me, it Kelly looked much better than Walker.  Even if we throw out the stat line.  Kelly just looked more comfortable as a QB leading the offense.   Walker looks like he's winging it on every play.   Potential-wise, Kelly has Walker beat by a mile.  

• Like 1

I don't think Kelly will be on the Colts roster for very long... I think Walker will be your practice squad qb, but I don't think we'll see Kelly staying on a practice squad. He's good enough for a back up role, and quite frankly would be ok to see JB traded soon enough to keep Kelly on longterm. I hope to see JB improve games 2-4, because last night wasn't great... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with poor o-line play, vanilla playcalling and limited weapons. 

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t know if it matters.  If Andrew is healthy I don’t think they keep more than two QBs.

We won't. And as my post above states, if Kelly continues looking comfortable and competent, he won't stick on a practice squad. We will probably chance it, because I don't see Ballard trading JB with question marks on Andrew's health. But Walker is not an answer for this team. Not sure why we would even keep him on a practice squad any longer... 

9 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Kelly's more talented. I didn't even think it was a question before the game really. It's just the off the field stuff that's hindered him.

Honestly, I think the coaches know this and more or less wanted to play Walker first out of respect. Walker's probably proven to be a great teammate and hard worker over the years, but I think Kelly is the better talent. For the WR's sake, I hope he gets more run in the next few games.

Hard work and being a good teammate should never go unnoticed or appreciated, but this is the QB position we are talking about... and Walker does this squad no favors. He likely doesn't do our starting defense much throughout the course of the year in terms of practice and walk through's go either. He couldn't hit the bright side of a barn last night while Kelly made nice throws and looked comfy back there... 

This is similar to the Viniateri situation as we are letting good kickers go to keep him on, even to the detriment of the franchise long term. At some point, we'll need to move along for the benefit of a longterm young kicker. Same with JB and a backup qb. We can't afford to keep him longterm, so is the time coming soon to keep a guy like Kelly longterm? 

9 hours ago, twfish said:

I've never been a huge fan of Walker personally. He doesnt seem to throw the ball with any consistency. Plus the only time he can make good throws it out of the pocket it seems. I was liking what I saw against Kelly at training camp and seeing him tonight sealed it for me. I dont care if its against lower competition it's all about ball placement for me and he puts it right there. Thoughts?

Maybe just jitters but personally, I thought Walker played better last year compared to the first preseason game against Bills.

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

Wow really? We have to see him play against better competition. Not taking anything away from Kelly. However we need to see him play against the second teams players like Walker had to.

It doesn't matter how good the competition is. One guy completes passes to wide open guys and the other misses passes to wide open guys....

• Like 3

I haven't seen the game yet, but it's not surprising to me that Walker didn't play well. He's not good, never has been, IMO.

I'm not expecting much from Chad Kelly, but if he can replace Walker on the PS and be groomed to be QB2 in 2020, that would be a nice transition from Brissett, assuming he's not on the team next year.

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don't think Kelly will be on the Colts roster for very long... I think Walker will be your practice squad qb, but I don't think we'll see Kelly staying on a practice squad. He's good enough for a back up role, and quite frankly would be ok to see JB traded soon enough to keep Kelly on longterm. I hope to see JB improve games 2-4, because last night wasn't great... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with poor o-line play, vanilla playcalling and limited weapons. 

I agree.  Kelly is good enough to be a backup.  If Kelly continues to play well Ballard will probably receive some trade overtures for him.  I believe we have him signed for two years so the backup position could become interesting.  I don't see him on our practice squad for too long.  Someone will sign him and then we receive nothing.  Brissett needs to play longer.  He needs to show what he can do.  It's been awhile for any real playing time for him.   It looks like there is real competition at the backup competition now.  Kelly looked very comfortable and in command out there.  He looks the part.  My wife even commented he reminded her of Luck which definitely caught me off guard.  If he continues to shine Ballard will probably try to move one of them.  Not sure which one now.

• Like 1

Brissett has never impressed anyone with his QB play. He makes the standard throws when he has enough time. His recognition of defenses is average at best. His ability to improvise is near zero. He is an average backup QB who is probably maxed out.

Chad Kelly is an interesting project. If he can keep his sh** together he will soon be outplaying Brissett and deserving of the backup role.  The Colts should keep Kelly and not let him get away. The one concern is his injury history.

As for Walker, he should not be in the same conversation as Kelly or Brissett.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I agree.  Kelly is good enough to be a backup.  If Kelly continues to play well Ballard will probably receive some trade overtures for him.  I believe we have him signed for two years so the backup position could become interesting.  I don't see him on our practice squad for too long.  Someone will sign him and then we receive nothing.  Brissett needs to play longer.  He needs to show what he can do.  It's been awhile for any real playing time for him.   It looks like there is real competition at the backup competition now.  Kelly looked very comfortable and in command out there.  He looks the part.  My wife even commented he reminded her of Luck which definitely caught me off guard.  If he continues to shine Ballard will probably try to move one of them.  Not sure which one now.

All i have found is a one year deal... and I'd say most teams would wait to see if he hits to practice squad to try and sign off of. 

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

All i have found is a one year deal... and I'd say most teams would wait to see if he hits to practice squad to try and sign off of. 

Looks like a one year deal, but he's still a restricted FA for two more seasons.

• Like 1

Walker might be a hard worker but lets not forget Kelly has been working hard too. I've seen reports almost every day that Kelly has been out 30 minutes before the rest getting extra work in.

Seems like its paying off for him.

• Like 1

They said Kelly has to serve a 2 game suspension.  With Luck's questionable health, can we risk going with Kelly on the 53?  If Luck re-aggravates his injury, then you're stuck with just JB.  I expect them to try to make it through the first 2 weeks with JB and Walker and then bring Kelly back to replace Walker.

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

They said Kelly has to serve a 2 game suspension.  With Luck's questionable health, can we risk going with Kelly on the 53?  If Luck re-aggravates his injury, then you're stuck with just JB.  I expect them to try to make it through the first 2 weeks with JB and Walker and then bring Kelly back to replace Walker.

That argument is relatively null on the fact during the 2 games Kelly will not count against the 53 so if it was lined out that way you would keep walker and have 4 QB's the first 2 games

Can we all not get too carried away with the first pre-season game.

First,  Brissett faced the first string defense.   While Kelly faced the 2nd and 3rd string defense.

Let's not pretend this is an apples to apples comparison.

It's almost amusing to see the number of Kelly supporters that have come from no where to say how good he is.   Clearly better than Walker, and now some say he's better than Brissett.   Goodness gracious.  

Just let things play out over the pre-season.    Kelly and Walker will both be cut,  and then Ballard will re-claim one of them for the P.S.   Most seem to hope it'll be Kelly.   I sure do.   I've been banging his drum since the day we signed him.     But maybe he looks so good that some other team claims him to be their primary back-up before we can re-claim him.    Stranger things have happened.   I sure hope not,  but it could happen.  

I look forward to seeing how things shake out....