Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
LucasOilStadium

Colts @ Bills Preseason Game Night Thread

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

We see his play differently. I was thinking after seeing the little of him I did that it wouldn’t be tough on cuts if he continued that sort of play. I only got to see first half and not every play either. 


I didn't mean that as he's for sure making the team "pretty good." I just thought he did better than I would've expected against the opposing teams 1's. 

I'm honestly kind of low on Hairston and still don't think he's a sure bet to make the roster. However, I was kind of surprised at how little we saw of Tell (or I just didn't notice him at all).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:


I didn't mean that as he's for sure making the team "pretty good." I just thought he did better than I would've expected against the opposing teams 1's. 

I'm honestly kind of low on Hairston and still don't think he's a sure bet to make the roster.

That’s pretty fair. I’d have to say he is down on the fringe of cut line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I was disappointed we didn’t get to see MO.

Was he not out there? I thought I seen one play and he was in the shot? Could be mixing up my numbers, had to keep looking at the roster between plays and trying to figure out who was who lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Was he not out there? I thought I seen one play and he was in the shot? Could be mixing up my numbers, had to keep looking at the roster between plays and trying to figure out who was who lol. 

Just meant he wasn’t targeted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I saw of Hairston tonight was a lot of good coverage that was easily looked over or forgotten. Nothing developed of them because they either made a great catch or it was thrown in the dirt/out of reach. He allowed the first touchdown to slip behind him in coverage staring at the qb. I understand they are often supposed to keep your eyes on the qb, but know where you are on the field. He was at the pylon and the receiver was at the back corner of the end zone. Split the difference and stay in the play. 

 

I think what I saw tonight from Hairston is what Ballard sees and why he'll be on the roster. He has good technique and is relatively consistent. He's been here for several years now. He's never going to be a big time player, but he's not bad by any means. This franchise has started worse on the corners than Nate Hairston in the Andrew Luck era... He's a good 5th or 6th guy to keep on. IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Frank does not sound happy with the run game.

 

 


I'll say that we were missing AC and Kelly, but yeah, that 1st team run game was not good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like Cain might get upgraded to the first team as he gets more reps. Maybe we will see him play more with the starters against the browns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

What I saw of Hairston tonight was a lot of good coverage that was easily looked over or forgotten. Nothing developed of them because they either made a great catch or it was thrown in the dirt/out of reach. He allowed the first touchdown to slip behind him in coverage staring at the qb. I understand they are often supposed to keep your eyes on the qb, but know where you are on the field. He was at the pylon and the receiver was at the back corner of the end zone. Split the difference and stay in the play. 

 

I think what I saw tonight from Hairston is what Ballard sees and why he'll be on the roster. He has good technique and is relatively consistent. He's been here for several years now. He's never going to be a big time player, but he's not bad by any means. This franchise has started worse on the corners than Nate Hairston in the Andrew Luck era... He's a good 5th or 6th guy to keep on. IMO. 

That play was really a tricky play.  The deep receiver started to go across the field.  So Hairston let him go because a shallower receiver was running a cross in the opposite direction coming at Hairston.  So he rightly picked him up.  Unfortunately the first receiver pivoted and doubled back.  So Hairston ended up on an island with both receivers high and low.  Either way he was stuck.  If he stayed with the deeper receiver on his cross the underneath had an easy touchdown.  The question is where was the safety or his help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

That play was really a tricky play.  The deep receiver started to go across the field.  So Hairston let him go because a shallower receiver was running a cross in the opposite direction coming at Hairston.  So he rightly picked him up.  Unfortunately the first receiver pivoted and doubled back.  So Hairston ended up on an island with both receivers high and low.  Either way he was stuck.  If he stayed with the deeper receiver on his cross the underneath had an easy touchdown.  The question is where was the safety or his help?

 

I understand that. But the fundamental aspect of this zone is to keep plays in front of you correct? He didn't even check to see where that receiver was. Have some awareness of the field, split the difference and try to make a play. He stood and watched instead. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

I understand that. But the fundamental aspect of this zone is to keep plays in front of you correct? He didn't even check to see where that receiver was. Have some awareness of the field, split the difference and try to make a play. He stood and watched instead. 

Yeah they pulled the oke doke on him.  I don’t think he ever expected the deep receiver to double back to the corner.  Probably should have had more depth but I’ll have to rewatch the play because from what I remember the shallow receiver would have been even more open for the 6 if he had been any further back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

I understand that. But the fundamental aspect of this zone is to keep plays in front of you correct? He didn't even check to see where that receiver was. Have some awareness of the field, split the difference and try to make a play. He stood and watched instead. 

I just watched it again and his depth was definitely too shallow.  He had Q underneath and when Q took a step forward, Hairston focused on Q’s receiver on the 2nd level and the deep man got behind him.  Definitely too flat footed and not enough depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Pascal play at all on O (as a WR). I know he was in on KRs. Did they hold him out of O snaps like they did Rogers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I just watched it again and his depth was definitely too shallow.  He had Q underneath and when Q took a step forward, Hairston focused on Q’s receiver on the 2nd level and the deep man got behind him.  Definitely too flat footed and not enough depth.

 

I'd like to go back and see it again. I recorded so I'll likely browse back through for a few plays that stuck out to me. This was one of them, but like I said it overshadowed several really nice plays by Hairston that were forgettable. He'll be a pro and pearn from it, get better for next week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

We gotta remember that Kelly got to go against the 3’s today & maybe even more vanilla defense.  Regardless, I definitely think Walker is on notice.  Another performance like that and he’s outta here.

Put Kelly in with the 2's dump Walker cause he sucks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jdubu said:

That’s pretty fair. I’d have to say he is down on the fringe of cut line. 

I thought they said he was looking good he was terrible last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I was disappointed we didn’t get to see MO.

You mean Cox he played just didn't do much.

This was a sloppy game all the way around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Did Pascal play at all on O (as a WR). I know he was in on KRs. Did they hold him out of O snaps like they did Rogers?

It seems they both didn’t play much on offense. They might of played a couple plays but it seemed Brissetts job was to get the ball to Funchess a couple times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

It seems they both didn’t play much on offense. They might of played a couple plays but it seemed Brissetts job was to get the ball to Funchess a couple times.

Chester didn't play at all per his interview IIRC. I've got the DVR set to record late tonight, and plan on doing a slow rewatch. Really interested in checking out the target quality to all the young guys. Also want to look closer at some of the rooks on D as well as guys like Phillips.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

Chester didn't play at all per his interview IIRC. I've got the DVR set to record late tonight, and plan on doing a slow rewatch. Really interested in checking out the target quality to all the young guys. Also want to look closer at some of the rooks on D as well as guys like Phillips.

Did he not play on punt returns?  If he didn’t play at all he is a lock to make the roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Did he not play on punt returns?  If he didn’t play at all he is a lock to make the roster. 

Chester did PR. Pascal did KR (along with Dulin IIRC).

 

There was a blurb saying CR was not going to play on O, and was wondering if Pascal played any. BUT.... I found a snap count of the game that says Rogers played 8 snaps on O, and Pascal played 11. Neither one were targeted though.

 

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/09/indianapolis-colts-preseason-vuffalo-bills-snap-counts-offense-defense-special-teams/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

You mean Cox he played just didn't do much.

This was a sloppy game all the way around.

Just looked at the snap counts. Mo only played 11 TE snaps. Holmes had 25 and Hentges had 45.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

Chester did PR. Pascal did KR (along with Dulin IIRC).

 

There was a blurb saying CR was not going to play on O, and was wondering if Pascal played any. BUT.... I found a snap count of the game that says Rogers played 8 snaps on O, and Pascal played 11. Neither one were targeted though.

 

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/09/indianapolis-colts-preseason-vuffalo-bills-snap-counts-offense-defense-special-teams/

I was listening to a couple podcast today. They mentioned the way things played out it looks like they might be leaning on keeping six receivers.  With pascal being the sixth. In the new new TC vid they highlighted the receivers and Rogers and pascal were both on it. Right now I think everyone else is playing for the ps or auditioning for another team. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I was listening to a couple podcast today. They mentioned the way things played out it looks like they might be leaning on keeping six receivers.  With pascal being the sixth. In the new new TC vid they highlighted the receivers and Rogers and pascal were both on it. Right now I think everyone else is playing for the ps or auditioning for another team. 

I agree on 6 (at least to start the year). I don't necessarily agree on Rogers and Pascal being locks. Maybe leans, but not locks. Lots of time to go for guys to play themselves into the conversation.

 

I'm going to re-watch and look closely at all the WR targets, but just from what I saw/heard/read, the winner (of WRs) yesterday was Fountain. Got 35 snaps (primarily because TY was held out, Rogers was limited, and Campbell was injured) and performed well when targeted. He could really factor in anywhere (X, Z, slot) but has been in that Z/slot bucket. I know he's not the biggest guy (6-1 IIRC), but he's got a vert to make up for it if given an opportunity at X. 

 

Hogan (60 snaps) and Johnson (35) both at X yesterday, didn't wow me. Again, that could be due to passing quality, but they didn't make the most of their time like Fountain did. 

 

I was a little surprised they let Dulin do some returns, but gave him almost no WR time (only 2 snaps)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...