Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time to panic!


wordofmouth

Recommended Posts

Here we go again, the preseason. 

 

I can see it now, we go 1-3 and everyone starts panicking, then we go 11-5 in the real season and the life is good again.

The best were the Manning years when we were 0-4 almost every preseason. 

 

Now what if we go 4-0 ?d  Yikes! then I'll start panicking 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a lot of fans on here are knowledgeable enough to know what the pre-season really is.  Its testing out guys who are on the roster bubble and, even when the 1st team is out there, the plays are as vanilla as they come and so no real insight.

 

Pre season is basically roster evaluation and fitness work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wordofmouth said:

Here we go again, the preseason. 

 

I can see it now, we go 1-3 and everyone starts panicking, then we go 11-5 in the real season and the life is good again.

The best were the Manning years when we were 0-4 almost every preseason. 

 

Now what if we go 4-0 ?d  Yikes! then I'll start panicking 

This is clickbait. Wins and losses are meaningless and everyone here knows it. All about developing players and individual performance, kinda like a minor league baseball game. The only real panics are if Luck isn't playing by preseason week 3, we accumulate a ton of injuries, or if the team is just plain flat performance-wise after the preseason and looks outmatched.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think we will go 3-1 to 4-0 this preseason. The reason we lost all those preseason games in the past is because our second and third team was dog crap and our star players were carrying us to 11-5 to 12-4 records. I think this team is deep enough to go at minimum 2-2

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

I actually think we will go 3-1 to 4-0 this preseason. The reason we lost all those preseason games in the past is because our second and third team was dog crap and our star players were carrying us to 11-5 to 12-4 records. I think this team is deep enough to go at minimum 2-2

As little as I do pay attention to score, I do think the scores will be close.  I do agree that we are pretty deep and a few of the guys that we'll be cutting this year will probably be picked up by other squads.  I would love for Ballard to have a sleepless night before cuts...

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

I actually think we will go 3-1 to 4-0 this preseason. The reason we lost all those preseason games in the past is because our second and third team was dog crap and our star players were carrying us to 11-5 to 12-4 records. I think this team is deep enough to go at minimum 2-2

I think you may be right here, whether we go 4-0, 3-1 or 0-4 is irrelevant. I think what we will need to see is the competition of the spots we’ve been weak at in the past when we move from first team guys into the second, third and beyond. The one reason we may not win any of the games is because maybe we insert a third tier guy against the first tier guys just to see how they react and play up to those challenges. 

 

Fans want wins and great play by all these players, the coaches are looking to see if they’ve adapted to the team playbook, technique, level of competition and reactions to adversity. The win isn’t on the radar of the coaching staffs first 5 objectives. Imho of course. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pre-season doesn't matter. If the Colts lose tonight I won't lose an ounce of sleep. I will mostly watch the Cubs tonight to be honest, they are in an important division race. I will flip back and forth.

Yes. me to I'm a huge Cubs fan to so I will be watching both. In second thought I'll just DVR the Colts game and watch the Cubs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some Colts fans are actually paying customers for the pre-season games. I agree winning doesn't matter. However an entertaining contest is much more fun to attend. The depth this year should provide us more bang for the buck as compared to previous years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bestQBever said:

I actually think we will go 3-1 to 4-0 this preseason. The reason we lost all those preseason games in the past is because our second and third team was dog crap and our star players were carrying us to 11-5 to 12-4 records. I think this team is deep enough to go at minimum 2-2

Going 4-0 in the preseason. Haha

 

Definitely won’t happen

Link to post
Share on other sites

Preseason does matter. It shows how hard this team practices. So for the past few year as always I expect us again to have a slow start to the season. I hope I’m wrong, but I haven’t been proven so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back from the game.  Beautiful night in Western NYMuch nicer weather than last time the two teams played here! 

 

Just a couple observations from the nose bleeds. I would be able to give better insight if the replay board at New Era was better but they do a really bad job with that. 

 

Anyway, as many could tell this Carroll Philips guy was probably the player of the game for the Colts.  Where did he come from anyway?  I was not even aware of him being on the roster. He made plays all night and not just against the 3rd teamers. 

I liked Mathew Adams and EJ Speed at LB. Speed got beat on one long pass but he ran stride for stride with the Bills receiver and Barkley ( who was the best QB on the field tonight) just dropped the pass in the perfect place where there was nothing speed could do about it. 

I was hard to get a good read on our D line but every time the play ended up on the Bills side of the LOS,  Stewart seemed to be leading the push.  Rock looked like a very good ROOKIE. 

You could see the traits that will make him a great player but there were also some welcome to the NFL times. 

Walker was awful, Brissett was a little better but the whole starting offense left a lot to be desired. 

Cain looked good when he wasn't dropping passes and Fountain was probably the bright spot of the night as far as the O was concerned. 

One other player that I was watching pretty closely, and I thought did a real nice job was the rookie Tackle, Barton. Granted he was playing against the weakest competition of the night but I really liked what I saw out of him. 

A lot more work to be done, but it's nice to see a couple guys making themselves noticed. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, wordofmouth said:

Just got back from the game.  Beautiful night in Western NYMuch nicer weather than last time the two teams played here! 

 

Just a couple observations from the nose bleeds. I would be able to give better insight if the replay board at New Era was better but they do a really bad job with that. 

 

Anyway, as many could tell this Carroll Philips guy was probably the player of the game for the Colts.  Where did he come from anyway?  I was not even aware of him being on the roster. He made plays all night and not just against the 3rd teamers. 

I liked Mathew Adams and EJ Speed at LB. Speed got beat on one long pass but he ran stride for stride with the Bills receiver and Barkley ( who was the best QB on the field tonight) just dropped the pass in the perfect place where there was nothing speed could do about it. 

I was hard to get a good read on our D line but every time the play ended up on the Bills side of the LOS,  Stewart seemed to be leading the push.  Rock looked like a very good ROOKIE. 

You could see the traits that will make him a great player but there were also some welcome to the NFL times. 

Walker was awful, Brissett was a little better but the whole starting offense left a lot to be desired. 

Cain looked good when he wasn't dropping passes and Fountain was probably the bright spot of the night as far as the O was concerned. 

One other player that I was watching pretty closely, and I thought did a real nice job was the rookie Tackle, Barton. Granted he was playing against the weakest competition of the night but I really liked what I saw out of him. 

A lot more work to be done, but it's nice to see a couple guys making themselves noticed. 

 

Phillips is an undersized DE that played for IL. Was an UDFA for the Jags in 2017. Waived at the beginning of the season last year, and signed to our PS.

 

He's kind of a tweener in terms of size. Only 6-3 and 242 (which he looks lighter than that to me). They could probably use him on the SAM packages that they spoke about using Banogu.

 

Perhaps he'll get some early time in the next couple pre season games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not impressed by anything I saw tonight.

 

Without Luck, this team is going no where.  Even with Luck, they might be a 10-6 team at best as

1.  Luck is a fragile QB now who tends to guide the ball instead of throwing it due to shoulder damage.

2.  I don't think he will ever be the QB we thought he might be coming out of college.  Very good yes.  Manningesque?  No.

 

This team got hot against some bad competition last year and rode it to the playoffs in a weak division.  I am not sold on the Offensive play calling either.  Too many times last year they went 3 and out with some very iffy calls.  I actually thought the play calling was better the first 4 games of the year with the quick hitters compared to the last 4 when things seemed to slow down.

 

Luck I think at this point can only be considered 50/50 to start the year.  Can he play more than 12 games?  I doubt it but hope I am wrong. 

 

IMO they need to seriously consider drafting a QB next year and possibly move on from Luck if he cannot prove himself to stay healthy.  Love the guy a ton.  But he is a walking MASH unit the past 3 years and quite frankly I am getting a little tired of his 'awww shucks I just need to stick with the process' spiel.  We get it.  It is a process.  THE PROCESS.  Process.  

 

You are being paid $22 M a year to play 16 games.  If a calf strain is enough to keep you out?  It might be time to retire.  Thing is I don't even think it is the leg injury at this point.  It is more in his head than anything.  He overthinks everything.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Three flight I disagree with 70% of what you said about luck but the sad thing is that I think the other 30%  is growing daily in my mind. It’s a scary thought but it’s not Too far off and I will be thinking exactly like you are.  Things would be so much simpler had the colts been honest about Manning’s neck and lucks  shoulder from the beginning.  Now when our franchise Qb is injured, we all don’t know what or who to believe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, threeflight said:

Not impressed by anything I saw tonight.

 

Without Luck, this team is going no where.  Even with Luck, they might be a 10-6 team at best as

1.  Luck is a fragile QB now who tends to guide the ball instead of throwing it due to shoulder damage.

2.  I don't think he will ever be the QB we thought he might be coming out of college.  Very good yes.  Manningesque?  No.

 

This team got hot against some bad competition last year and rode it to the playoffs in a weak division.  I am not sold on the Offensive play calling either.  Too many times last year they went 3 and out with some very iffy calls.  I actually thought the play calling was better the first 4 games of the year with the quick hitters compared to the last 4 when things seemed to slow down.

 

Luck I think at this point can only be considered 50/50 to start the year.  Can he play more than 12 games?  I doubt it but hope I am wrong. 

 

IMO they need to seriously consider drafting a QB next year and possibly move on from Luck if he cannot prove himself to stay healthy.  Love the guy a ton.  But he is a walking MASH unit the past 3 years and quite frankly I am getting a little tired of his 'awww shucks I just need to stick with the process' spiel.  We get it.  It is a process.  THE PROCESS.  Process.  

 

You are being paid $22 M a year to play 16 games.  If a calf strain is enough to keep you out?  It might be time to retire.  Thing is I don't even think it is the leg injury at this point.  It is more in his head than anything.  He overthinks everything.

 

 

 

Aren’t you just a ray of sunshine. 

 

And that is on top of being just plain wrong. 

 

Dour and wrong is a bad combo. I hope you see a rainbow and a unicorn crosses your path today. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wordofmouth said:

Just got back from the game.  Beautiful night in Western NYMuch nicer weather than last time the two teams played here! 

 

Just a couple observations from the nose bleeds. I would be able to give better insight if the replay board at New Era was better but they do a really bad job with that. 

 

Anyway, as many could tell this Carroll Philips guy was probably the player of the game for the Colts.  Where did he come from anyway?  I was not even aware of him being on the roster. He made plays all night and not just against the 3rd teamers. 

I liked Mathew Adams and EJ Speed at LB. Speed got beat on one long pass but he ran stride for stride with the Bills receiver and Barkley ( who was the best QB on the field tonight) just dropped the pass in the perfect place where there was nothing speed could do about it. 

I was hard to get a good read on our D line but every time the play ended up on the Bills side of the LOS,  Stewart seemed to be leading the push.  Rock looked like a very good ROOKIE. 

You could see the traits that will make him a great player but there were also some welcome to the NFL times. 

Walker was awful, Brissett was a little better but the whole starting offense left a lot to be desired. 

Cain looked good when he wasn't dropping passes and Fountain was probably the bright spot of the night as far as the O was concerned. 

One other player that I was watching pretty closely, and I thought did a real nice job was the rookie Tackle, Barton. Granted he was playing against the weakest competition of the night but I really liked what I saw out of him. 

A lot more work to be done, but it's nice to see a couple guys making themselves noticed. 

 

 

I think your review of Barton will change once you see the replay.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Honestly I don't even know why they keep score in the pre-season.  It's certainly not something I pay attention to.  

 

Well then they wouldn’t be considered preseason games.. They do plenty of non-scoring play...that’s basically OT.

 

I think the issue with preseason is the overall number of games.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

 

I think your review of Barton will change once you see the replay.  

Funny you say that. I just read a review on Bleacher Report and they put him in the "Stock Down" category.  I was trying to zero in on certain individuals at a time so maybe the time I spent on Barton were just his better plays. I will have to look at it again. 

This is the first Colts game I ever attended, as I have never lived close to Indy and getting tickets in the other markets I've been in isn't easy ( or cheap) and while going to a game at Lucas Oil is still on my bucket list, I have to say that watching and re watching the game at home is in many ways preferable.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Granted, It is definitely preseason,  but it is preseason for the Bills too....  I thought our first team defense and offense were disappointing in many facets .  The good news is the bar for improvement is set pretty low.  Let's hope we learn and improve a lot for the next one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I would strongly consider signing FA safety Eric Reid.   Than we need to see about focusing on LT, TEs, and DEs for next season.  Worse case may have to see how the Cardinals are using Kelvin Beachum and offer a trade if we end up losing AC early mid-trade season.  Other potential upcoming FA's may look more into would be TB Bucs WR Chris Godwin, TE Gerald Everett, and DE Trent Murphy.     I realized we just paid Kelly at center but oft-injured game-time availability has me wondering how our backup would do.  Am looking at Centers Daniel Kilgore (KC), Evan Brown (Browns) or Josh Andrews (Jets) as potential backup targets.    As for the 2021 draft my early LT target to keep an eye on is Jackson Carman from Clemson in Round 1.  Again I am high on S Hamsah Nasirildeen (Florida St) who went back to school but should still be a first rounder.  TE Pat Freiermuth (Penn St) has me intrigued.  As for DEs had Edge Patrick Jones II (Pitttsburgh) on my wish list in Round 2.  Hilton's age on the end of his career had me looking at WR Nico Collins (Michigan) in Round 3.  Collins has solid hands and no history of drops.
    • I’ve found my new favorite way to watch a game.  Really gives you an idea of what's happening.    You can see play design, who’s out of position, who missed a block, who fell down, even who’s pickin their nose or scratchin their butt. All 22 on the field so you miss nothing.   I especially like to see the blocking bubbles grow or collapse on the line.   I just cant say how much i’m gaining from this.  Each play is run twice...once from sideline (all 22), then from endzone (all 22).  Great to see the plays develop, or a defender fly across the field to a tackle.   No sound, so i will still watch normally first (or radio sometimes for drama), but if anyone never checked it out..... you must!  I cant believe i waited this long.  I have such a better idea of what we’re trying to do and who looks good or bad on EVERY play.   Also, i feel better about last week after watching for some odd reason.  I kept finding myself saying “oh, thats why that happened.”   The normal perspective is such a focused frame , usually on the ball.  We’re missing all the little battles going on in the periphery.
    • Well the misconception was the Jags were going to tank this season. No one told them that.  Your sky is falling opinion is way too pre mature. 
    • My questions are can he find the crack and what will he do mean the crack ain’t there.  Wisconsin doesn’t do cracks, they block chasms against the cornfield circuit.
    • Many die hard colt fans are sugar coating this loss as they want to believe so hard that this was a fluke or lol actually believing the Jags are a good team!  After the Jags just unloaded ALL their probowl talent, you think the roster is loaded?  If their loaded, what do you call this colts roster?  I think the Colts overlooked their opponent even know they haven't won there since a grip.
  • Members

    • RollerColt

      RollerColt 2,437

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ReMeDy

      ReMeDy 2,866

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • w87r

      w87r 2,055

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IndyEric07

      IndyEric07 10

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mr.NotSoCreative

      Mr.NotSoCreative 294

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtsGermany

      ColtsGermany 265

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MPStack

      MPStack 4,129

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...