Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time to panic!

wordofmouth

Here we go again, the preseason. 

I can see it now, we go 1-3 and everyone starts panicking, then we go 11-5 in the real season and the life is good again.

The best were the Manning years when we were 0-4 almost every preseason. 

Now what if we go 4-0 ?d  Yikes! then I'll start panicking 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I think a lot of fans on here are knowledgeable enough to know what the pre-season really is.  Its testing out guys who are on the roster bubble and, even when the 1st team is out there, the plays are as vanilla as they come and so no real insight.

Pre season is basically roster evaluation and fitness work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, wordofmouth said:

Here we go again, the preseason. 

I can see it now, we go 1-3 and everyone starts panicking, then we go 11-5 in the real season and the life is good again.

The best were the Manning years when we were 0-4 almost every preseason. 

Now what if we go 4-0 ?d  Yikes! then I'll start panicking 

This is clickbait. Wins and losses are meaningless and everyone here knows it. All about developing players and individual performance, kinda like a minor league baseball game. The only real panics are if Luck isn't playing by preseason week 3, we accumulate a ton of injuries, or if the team is just plain flat performance-wise after the preseason and looks outmatched.

• Like 2

I actually think we will go 3-1 to 4-0 this preseason. The reason we lost all those preseason games in the past is because our second and third team was dog crap and our star players were carrying us to 11-5 to 12-4 records. I think this team is deep enough to go at minimum 2-2

22 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

I actually think we will go 3-1 to 4-0 this preseason. The reason we lost all those preseason games in the past is because our second and third team was dog crap and our star players were carrying us to 11-5 to 12-4 records. I think this team is deep enough to go at minimum 2-2

As little as I do pay attention to score, I do think the scores will be close.  I do agree that we are pretty deep and a few of the guys that we'll be cutting this year will probably be picked up by other squads.  I would love for Ballard to have a sleepless night before cuts...

41 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

I think you may be right here, whether we go 4-0, 3-1 or 0-4 is irrelevant. I think what we will need to see is the competition of the spots we’ve been weak at in the past when we move from first team guys into the second, third and beyond. The one reason we may not win any of the games is because maybe we insert a third tier guy against the first tier guys just to see how they react and play up to those challenges. 

Fans want wins and great play by all these players, the coaches are looking to see if they’ve adapted to the team playbook, technique, level of competition and reactions to adversity. The win isn’t on the radar of the coaching staffs first 5 objectives. Imho of course. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pre-season doesn't matter. If the Colts lose tonight I won't lose an ounce of sleep. I will mostly watch the Cubs tonight to be honest, they are in an important division race. I will flip back and forth.

Yes. me to I'm a huge Cubs fan to so I will be watching both. In second thought I'll just DVR the Colts game and watch the Cubs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bestQBever said:

Going 4-0 in the preseason. Haha

Definitely won’t happen

Just got back from the game.  Beautiful night in Western NYMuch nicer weather than last time the two teams played here! 

Just a couple observations from the nose bleeds. I would be able to give better insight if the replay board at New Era was better but they do a really bad job with that. 

Anyway, as many could tell this Carroll Philips guy was probably the player of the game for the Colts.  Where did he come from anyway?  I was not even aware of him being on the roster. He made plays all night and not just against the 3rd teamers. 

I liked Mathew Adams and EJ Speed at LB. Speed got beat on one long pass but he ran stride for stride with the Bills receiver and Barkley ( who was the best QB on the field tonight) just dropped the pass in the perfect place where there was nothing speed could do about it. 

I was hard to get a good read on our D line but every time the play ended up on the Bills side of the LOS,  Stewart seemed to be leading the push.  Rock looked like a very good ROOKIE. 

You could see the traits that will make him a great player but there were also some welcome to the NFL times. 

Walker was awful, Brissett was a little better but the whole starting offense left a lot to be desired. 

Cain looked good when he wasn't dropping passes and Fountain was probably the bright spot of the night as far as the O was concerned. 

One other player that I was watching pretty closely, and I thought did a real nice job was the rookie Tackle, Barton. Granted he was playing against the weakest competition of the night but I really liked what I saw out of him. 

A lot more work to be done, but it's nice to see a couple guys making themselves noticed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, wordofmouth said:

Just got back from the game.  Beautiful night in Western NYMuch nicer weather than last time the two teams played here! 

Just a couple observations from the nose bleeds. I would be able to give better insight if the replay board at New Era was better but they do a really bad job with that. 

Anyway, as many could tell this Carroll Philips guy was probably the player of the game for the Colts.  Where did he come from anyway?  I was not even aware of him being on the roster. He made plays all night and not just against the 3rd teamers. 

I liked Mathew Adams and EJ Speed at LB. Speed got beat on one long pass but he ran stride for stride with the Bills receiver and Barkley ( who was the best QB on the field tonight) just dropped the pass in the perfect place where there was nothing speed could do about it. 

I was hard to get a good read on our D line but every time the play ended up on the Bills side of the LOS,  Stewart seemed to be leading the push.  Rock looked like a very good ROOKIE. 

You could see the traits that will make him a great player but there were also some welcome to the NFL times. 

Walker was awful, Brissett was a little better but the whole starting offense left a lot to be desired. 

Cain looked good when he wasn't dropping passes and Fountain was probably the bright spot of the night as far as the O was concerned. 

One other player that I was watching pretty closely, and I thought did a real nice job was the rookie Tackle, Barton. Granted he was playing against the weakest competition of the night but I really liked what I saw out of him. 

A lot more work to be done, but it's nice to see a couple guys making themselves noticed. 

Phillips is an undersized DE that played for IL. Was an UDFA for the Jags in 2017. Waived at the beginning of the season last year, and signed to our PS.

He's kind of a tweener in terms of size. Only 6-3 and 242 (which he looks lighter than that to me). They could probably use him on the SAM packages that they spoke about using Banogu.

Perhaps he'll get some early time in the next couple pre season games. 

Not impressed by anything I saw tonight.

Without Luck, this team is going no where.  Even with Luck, they might be a 10-6 team at best as

1.  Luck is a fragile QB now who tends to guide the ball instead of throwing it due to shoulder damage.

2.  I don't think he will ever be the QB we thought he might be coming out of college.  Very good yes.  Manningesque?  No.

This team got hot against some bad competition last year and rode it to the playoffs in a weak division.  I am not sold on the Offensive play calling either.  Too many times last year they went 3 and out with some very iffy calls.  I actually thought the play calling was better the first 4 games of the year with the quick hitters compared to the last 4 when things seemed to slow down.

Luck I think at this point can only be considered 50/50 to start the year.  Can he play more than 12 games?  I doubt it but hope I am wrong. 

IMO they need to seriously consider drafting a QB next year and possibly move on from Luck if he cannot prove himself to stay healthy.  Love the guy a ton.  But he is a walking MASH unit the past 3 years and quite frankly I am getting a little tired of his 'awww shucks I just need to stick with the process' spiel.  We get it.  It is a process.  THE PROCESS.  Process.  

You are being paid $22 M a year to play 16 games.  If a calf strain is enough to keep you out?  It might be time to retire.  Thing is I don't even think it is the leg injury at this point.  It is more in his head than anything.  He overthinks everything.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Three flight I disagree with 70% of what you said about luck but the sad thing is that I think the other 30%  is growing daily in my mind. It’s a scary thought but it’s not Too far off and I will be thinking exactly like you are.  Things would be so much simpler had the colts been honest about Manning’s neck and lucks  shoulder from the beginning.  Now when our franchise Qb is injured, we all don’t know what or who to believe. 

3 hours ago, threeflight said:

Not impressed by anything I saw tonight.

Without Luck, this team is going no where.  Even with Luck, they might be a 10-6 team at best as

1.  Luck is a fragile QB now who tends to guide the ball instead of throwing it due to shoulder damage.

2.  I don't think he will ever be the QB we thought he might be coming out of college.  Very good yes.  Manningesque?  No.

This team got hot against some bad competition last year and rode it to the playoffs in a weak division.  I am not sold on the Offensive play calling either.  Too many times last year they went 3 and out with some very iffy calls.  I actually thought the play calling was better the first 4 games of the year with the quick hitters compared to the last 4 when things seemed to slow down.

Luck I think at this point can only be considered 50/50 to start the year.  Can he play more than 12 games?  I doubt it but hope I am wrong. 

IMO they need to seriously consider drafting a QB next year and possibly move on from Luck if he cannot prove himself to stay healthy.  Love the guy a ton.  But he is a walking MASH unit the past 3 years and quite frankly I am getting a little tired of his 'awww shucks I just need to stick with the process' spiel.  We get it.  It is a process.  THE PROCESS.  Process.  

You are being paid $22 M a year to play 16 games.  If a calf strain is enough to keep you out?  It might be time to retire.  Thing is I don't even think it is the leg injury at this point.  It is more in his head than anything.  He overthinks everything.

Aren’t you just a ray of sunshine. 

And that is on top of being just plain wrong. 

Dour and wrong is a bad combo. I hope you see a rainbow and a unicorn crosses your path today. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, wordofmouth said:

I think your review of Barton will change once you see the replay.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Honestly I don't even know why they keep score in the pre-season.  It's certainly not something I pay attention to.  

Well then they wouldn’t be considered preseason games.. They do plenty of non-scoring play...that’s basically OT.

I think the issue with preseason is the overall number of games.

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I think your review of Barton will change once you see the replay.  

Funny you say that. I just read a review on Bleacher Report and they put him in the "Stock Down" category.  I was trying to zero in on certain individuals at a time so maybe the time I spent on Barton were just his better plays. I will have to look at it again. 

This is the first Colts game I ever attended, as I have never lived close to Indy and getting tickets in the other markets I've been in isn't easy ( or cheap) and while going to a game at Lucas Oil is still on my bucket list, I have to say that watching and re watching the game at home is in many ways preferable.  

Granted, It is definitely preseason,  but it is preseason for the Bills too....  I thought our first team defense and offense were disappointing in many facets .  The good news is the bar for improvement is set pretty low.  Let's hope we learn and improve a lot for the next one.